PDA

View Full Version : transom protector group buy

pickle311
04-23-2007, 10:57 AM
I was about to order a transom protector for my boat from www.wickedwakes.com. I don't know if any of you have seen them or not, but they are pretty sweet and a good price. I think $55. He can also print whatever you want on the back, but it's an additional $45 to setup the silkscreening. I was wanting to get one with the Moomba logo. If a few others want one as well, we can split the $45 between us and drop the price down. Check out his website and let me know if anyone is interested. I plan to make the order a week from today.

Boat Dog
04-23-2007, 01:12 PM
This is probably a silly question, but

What is the Transom Protector designed to protest against? I looked at the web-site, and can't figure it out.

cab13367
04-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Boat Dog,

It protects your transom from wakeboards. People will sit on or lean against the back of the boat while getting into their bindings and in the process, will probably bang it against the transom.

At least that's my take on it.

Al

pickle311
04-23-2007, 02:31 PM
if you do any wakeboarding behind your boat, you will soon find out.

What happens is people trying to get into their bindings slide the board around and it dings the transom. It doesn't take much to leave a nasty scuff. This is a pad that goes on the transom and absorbs the board dings and leaves the transom looking new like it should.

Boat Dog
04-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks Guys. Now I'm following you. I did have a few dings on my outback in that area.

pickle311
04-23-2007, 03:19 PM
when wakesurfing, I'm constantly banging the nose of the board into the rear of the boat while traveling 9 - 10 mph. no chips in the fibergalss as of yet.

Ed, I've tagged mine with the surfboard too and enver got a ding, but the sharp edge of a wakeboard will do it with ease.

Wolf-
04-23-2007, 05:20 PM
when wakesurfing, I'm constantly banging the nose of the board into the rear of the boat while traveling 9 - 10 mph. no chips in the fibergalss as of yet.

Ed, I've tagged mine with the surfboard too and enver got a ding, but the sharp edge of a wakeboard will do it with ease.

I put some of the Transom Guard on when we first bought the boat.
Was easy to put on and has done well protecting from wakeboard nicks.

If you dont have any protection from board edges, may want to look into this group buy.

cab13367
04-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Seems to me that 3M clear plastic film like they install on the front part of the hood of your car to protect from rock chips would do the same thing, look better (invisible), and would probably be less expensive.

Have you looked at going that route, pickle?

Al

pickle311
04-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Seems to me that 3M clear plastic film like they install on the front part of the hood of your car to protect from rock chips would do the same thing, look better (invisible), and would probably be less expensive.

Have you looked at going that route, pickle?

Al

yes I have, it's almost the same price and will be yellow by the end of the year, plus it's a total pain to remove. Ive talked to others that have used it and said after a year or so it looks horrible. This protector I'm ordering is almost bullet proof, literally. The material is 1 step down from kevlar.

Geoffrey18
04-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Did you ever get enough for the group buy? I would be interested in one of them if you are doing a group buy.

Pike
04-23-2007, 11:13 PM
I am also interested in the "Group Buy" let me know

pickle311
04-23-2007, 11:27 PM
so far no one is confirmed, I figure we need at least 4 to make it worth while. That would put them right at $67 each with the Moomba logo. The more people that get in, the cheaper they will be.

Pike
04-24-2007, 01:56 AM
so far no one is confirmed, I figure we need at least 4 to make it worth while. That would put them right at $67 each with the Moomba logo. The more people that get in, the cheaper they will be.

When we get 4 how do we order??? By this I mean how do we pay?

Rugburn
04-24-2007, 11:08 AM
One of my graphics customers uses a thick, clear vinyl made by 3M on the front of all their Porsche Cup cars to protect against rocks and chips. It installs like any other sheet of vinyl, but it much thicker. Im putting some of this material on my transom next week. Ill take pics of before and after. Ive seen this on several their cars, and it doesnt yellow or peel. Nice stuff.

cab13367
04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks Jim. I look forward to seeing the pics.

When I bought my car three and a half years ago, I had the plastic film installed on the front 18" or so of the hood. It's still fully adhered, still invisible, and has not turned yellow yet.

Al

davidl
04-24-2007, 11:17 PM
:roll: I dont get it !! the site has no info on installation. I know what it does but how does it attach to the boat ?

pickle311
04-24-2007, 11:45 PM
most of the people are using the supplied suction cups, or you can get it with straps

pickle311
04-24-2007, 11:46 PM
When I bought my car three and a half years ago, I had the plastic film installed on the front 18" or so of the hood. It's still fully adhered, still invisible, and has not turned yellow yet.

Al

go hit it with the edge of a wakeboard a few times and tell me how it looks

Smrtz
05-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey Pickle,

Im in My transom has a bunch of surface scratches from just this!
Please PM me and let me know the details if you have enough people who want in on the group buy

Thanks
Jay

pickle311
05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
I dropped it due to the lack of interest and the fact that I couldn't get the Moomba logo printed on it. I decided to try the 3M stuff since west marine has it on sale for $20. If it ends up looking like crap, oh well it was only$20. I'll rip it off and try something else.

Smrtz
05-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Sounds good let me know if you come up with anything. Im going to flip through a couple of my backissues of Wakeboarding mag because I know Ive seen ads in there at some point from different transom protectors

tarkus70
05-15-2007, 06:15 AM
I used the protector tape from Summit racing. The drag guys use it on the rear fenders to protect the paint during burnouts. I like it you can buy it in 3 foot sections like three to five inches wide or in a twenty foot roll three inches wide. I have had people bang a wake board into it and there are no scratches to the gel coat under it ( I peeled it for the winter). Oh and forgot you can find it in colors and clear.

zippy
05-15-2007, 08:15 PM
to protect the transom on my '07 lsv my dealer ordered some clear vinyl. when applied you can barely notice it. it is the same material used on autos for chip guard. very reasonable (about $15) and applies like graphics.

csumerall
05-16-2007, 12:49 AM
I would definately be interested in something like that if anyone knows somewhere to get them let me know I tried the protector tape and it started coming off maybe i didnt do it at the right time but either way it would be nice to have something a little better

NateDog
06-03-2007, 01:49 PM
What exactly is that 3M stuff called? I cant find it on westmarines web site

gsi09907
06-03-2007, 10:38 PM
What's it called, I have a black LSV and you want to talk about showing idiot marks.... HOLY #^@* I ned something but everything I can find is like over $50... HELP!!!!

csumerall
06-03-2007, 10:44 PM
the stuff I bought was $6 a foot its called 3m clear adheasive protectant tape

Nimrod
06-03-2007, 11:45 PM
I bought the transom protector and guidepads they are awesome. Howard is a great guy to do business with. Give him a call. I would post the pics if I could figure out how. I mounted the t. protector with the suction cups supplied and did a 45 mph run - no problem.

wickedwakes
06-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Hello Moomba owners!

I have been told that there might be an interest in transom protection, I own Wicked Wakes. I apologize for the lack of good photos, and I will help explain how the protectors work. They are made from 1000 Michigan Denier Cordura (top layer on bulletproff vests, thanks for the accurate information Pickle), they mount using stainless steel screw through silicone cups. The hardware (other than the cups, of course) never touches the boat. They have a polypropylene padding in between layers, and are finished off with polypropelene webbing and polyester thread.
I am a very new business, and am currently working out the computer glitches. I have supplied a group buy for Midwest Wakeboarders, CIE, and other local clubs. The response has been very positive. I will also provide a section which describes putting the pads on, and taking it off.
I also own a boat, and have wakeboarder from expert to beginner. I designed the pads to help decrease and eliminate scratches and dings. I too used tape, and had to replace it yearly. It does protect, but if you ding the tape, you now have dinged tape on the back of your boat. I can attempt to put the Moomb Logo on the product, however, if I am told not to I will stop. $55 per pad, with $10 per logo has been the group buy price. Pickle-if you would PM me, I would appreciate talking to you!
Thank youo for your interest, I hope I have not caused more questions than I have answered. Please feel free to ask anything !

Pike
06-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Do you have a website yet? I am interested I'd like to see some pictures when you get it figured out

Thanks

Pike

wickedwakes
06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Yes! www.wickedwakes.com I am re-configuring the website this week. I am doing it myself, because I am not happy with the comapny I have been using. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, feel free to give me a shout!

bigboyfootin
06-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I have sent a PM on trying to order a transom protector but no reply.

gsi09907
06-06-2007, 06:44 PM
do these fit above, behind, above and behind the swim deck how do they actually look on the boat, the website doesn't do them any justice... I am interested in the idea but I also want it to look good and protect as well

chris

04OUTBACK
06-06-2007, 09:35 PM
BigBoyFootin,
Where do you ride? I see you got your outback from Lee County Inboard.. I am in Jackson, MS area and ride on the Pearl River...

bigboyfootin
06-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Anywhere the water is smooth in North MS. Mostly Tom Bigbee Waterway, and Smith Lake in AL. My inlaws have a place on Eagle, i have plans to visit this simmer.