PDA

View Full Version : Too much Ballast?

Madtown Mobius
04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm curious if anyone has ever damaged their ride from too much ballast? I have an '06 LSV and am looking at getting into wake surfing. I've read several different post and have talked to people who put some serious weight into their boats. Has anybody heard or seen anything from Skiers choice on ballast limits or putting too much weight in certain areas of the boat? I would think wake surfing puts the most lbs/in2 strain on a boat's floor and stringers. Anybody had their floor/stringers deform after running alot of weight over a few years time?

seanpatsdad
04-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I have not heard of it happening,but I am no expert.I just wonder about the strain on the tranny.I have wondered if MB Boats did not have trouble with all the ballst they bring on [3500lbs] and that is why they put a 2 speed tranny in their boat.Like I said I am no expert,just a thought.
John

BensonWdby
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Isn't their a max passenger/weight sticker on the boat? I would think if you exceed that you are asking for problems, not to mention boating illegally.

Wally
04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
thanks for answering my pm ed. I have a factory bag, but I think i can set up something similar to you with three 350 bags. And dipping the gas cap is a good point, I ride goofy. Now Im even more determined to ride switch.

sar
04-18-2007, 10:53 AM
There is a picture floating around where somebody filled ballast under than back seat and filled it too much - evidently the seat was mounted so securely that the pressure from the bag actually split the hull. I'd avoid that situation.

If wakeboarding too:
Keep in mind though, adding too much weight is just an easy way for a mediocre wakeboarder to get injured more easily and pull tricks that they may not be ready for. If you look at several of the pro riders setups they often ride with about 50% of the built in ballast full.

Stephen