PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cover

clzipper
05-14-2021, 12:56 PM
We just brought home our new 2021 Makai the other day, and the dealer said we couldn’t trailer it with the cover on. After driving it back 5 hrs on the road through a monsoon I’m wondering if that was a dealer position of if the factory covers can’t be used on the road without tearing them up? As it was all of the storage was wet as well as all the things we bought with the boat. Guess I can’t believe this was their plan. Anyway just looking to see if any of y’all have trailered your boat 5 hr with the cover on??

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210514/a0d11a8d56b616e1d4a4a3c8bfff7848.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf Wagon
05-14-2021, 01:19 PM
Congratulations on getting your new boat. Personally I've trailered ours with the factory cover on for four years. It's still in good shape. However most trips are short with a few in the four hour range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Riddler
05-14-2021, 01:22 PM
I was told the same thing.

They recommended that if you are going to tow a long distance with the cover on, that you plastic wrap the boat above and below the rub rail to prevent the cover from damaging the gelcoat

Zog
05-14-2021, 01:36 PM
We have hauled our boat 6 hours and back without issue. The previous owners did the same.

Holdmybeer
05-14-2021, 01:45 PM
Been trailer with the cover on for years on all previous boats.
I plan to on my Mojo also. My cover is 6yrs old and faded. Looking to replace it for something like Outer Armour covers.

Hopefully TXsurf14 sees this. His Makai cover is the 1 you should get then sell the factory one.

2in2out
05-14-2021, 01:51 PM

They recommended that if you are going to tow a long distance with the cover on, that you plastic wrap the boat above and below the rub rail to prevent the cover from damaging the gelcoat

Did this with our Supra and have done two trips. One of 600 miles, and one of 300. Plastic wrap at any rub points and the tongue and trailer frame forward of the wheel wells.

No issues. Lowe’s has 24” shippers wrap for $21.99. I still have enough for probably 20 more trips.

Prospersigman
05-14-2021, 02:48 PM
I never tow with my cover off on black hull with red and gun metal on my Supra and there are zero rub marks or rash from the cover.

RC_Hinojosa
05-14-2021, 03:00 PM

They recommended that if you are going to tow a long distance with the cover on, that you plastic wrap the boat above and below the rub rail to prevent the cover from damaging the gelcoatThis[emoji1432]

The Moomba & Supra covers are made by different manufacture's and different materials.

I never towed short distances with the cover on (but make sure you have some rock tamers, or mud flaps if your tires are oversized).

Long distances, the Saran wrap will probide a buffer between the cover and the gelcoat. Also, if it's a really long trip wrap your tower too....it'll make bug cleanup a breeze.

Reality: the Moomba covers are not of equal quality as the Supra covers and are explicitly stated for mooring.

As mentioned, TXSurf got an Outer Armor for his Makai, Langston had Evolution Covers do the one for his Mojo.

The Outer Armor & Evo covers are intended for towing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jimm
05-14-2021, 05:24 PM
Congrats on the beautiful new boat. I guess until you have a cover rip off and blow down the road behind you, it will be fine to tow it with the cover on. But mine was old old. Not a fun experience.

HFarr
05-14-2021, 07:54 PM
Not sure which cover this is? I will check tomorrow. I towed my Makai with it on from Atlanta to Lake Blackshear on the interstate at about 70+ mph. 4 hours. Dealership told me he tows with this cover to deliver boats all the time. It is pretty thick, and has a soft white felt liner inside it where it contacts the bow and windshield. I tightened down the ratcheting strap on the back good and tight cinching the strap all around the bottom of the rub rail and it never budged. No rub marks. I would recommend putting saran wrap on the tower for bugs though. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210514/9dc8ca436e204735b2c0351b4c5f8110.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
05-14-2021, 08:01 PM
I am curious why moomba only offers a mooring cover for $1050 and Supra offers a mooring/trailering cover for $1250?

The outer armor covers are badass, I don’t know how much an out armor is retail, but I would pass on the moomba cover and get a OA even if it was $1500.

HFarr
05-14-2021, 09:42 PM
Im curious as to what the supra trailering cover looks like? Is it different than the one I have in my Makai?

larry_arizona
05-14-2021, 09:53 PM
Im curious as to what the supra trailering cover looks like? Is it different than the one I have in my Makai?

Yeah the Supra covers are significantly different.

https://commercialsewing.com/mooring-covers/

This is the best way to describe them.

clzipper
05-15-2021, 08:55 AM
I’m def going to check out the putter armor, and the cling wrap is on the way. Previous boat didn’t have a cover so I got one from seal skin. It made it through several 3-4 hr trips a couple of 8 hr trip and finally gave up the ghost the second day coming back from Wisconsin (12 hrs per day for two days). This cover is a *%#@ ton better than the seal skin.

Holdmybeer
05-15-2021, 09:01 AM
Talk to Terri at PoppyCovers.com for Outer Armour.

She doesn't have my boat/tower combo but prices aren't that bad. If I had the A3 instead of the S-Bend on my Mojo price was $1000

bteeter
05-17-2021, 04:08 PM
Question for anyone that has the Outer Armor cover. I noticed this cover is black whereas the Moomba covers are gray. I've heard they switched to gray to prevent color transfer to white or light colored upholstery (I can attest to this as it happened with my previous boat and a black cover). See attached pic with a redish/gray tint.Anyone had that problem with the Outer Armor cover?

larry_arizona
05-17-2021, 04:23 PM
My previous Supra had tan interior and black outer armor cover and no color transfer.

The sur last material is thin and strong with what appears to have a light coating on it.

I would not hesitate on getting an OA cover. Best cover I have ever seen and I first had a OA on a 2003 jet ski. The vacuum fit is really amazing.

https://www.sailrite.com/SurLast-3854-0000-Black-60

Link to surlast fabric.

HFarr
05-17-2021, 04:38 PM
The cover that came with my Moomba has a white soft cloth attached to it where it covers the upholstery, bow, and windshield. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210517/3f079b92258531b7dab7e6cded3f020f.jpg

HFarr
05-17-2021, 04:40 PM
No extra charge for the sexy toes photo [emoji2957]

RC_Hinojosa
05-17-2021, 06:39 PM
All the Moomba covers (at least '17 and up) are like that with the lining.

It's still a mooring cover.

Plenty will say they tow with their's without issue. Your gelcoat mileage may vary.

You have it on a lift so I imagine you aren't doing much towing anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HFarr
05-17-2021, 07:22 PM
That's very true. It will only be towed for service. It fits very snug though, and when I tighten down the ratchet strap around the rub rail it really takes any flap out of it too.

chinook
05-18-2021, 12:13 AM
I towed our 2017 all over the western US. No issue whatsoever with the factory cover.
I did utilize the pole that snapped in the bow to keep the cover flapping to a minimum.
As for my new 2021, i will tow just the same with the factory cover.
And I'll never tow without the cover and have surf boards inside on the floor....don't ask me why!
Oh, and yes, waiting for the water to warm up, I painted the wheels to match the tow vehicle.....time on my hands :)

shaggymatt
05-18-2021, 10:09 AM
I've heard they switched to gray to prevent color transfer to white or light colored upholstery (I can attest to this as it happened with my previous boat and a black cover).

When I was at the boat a couple of weeks ago, looking for my wallet (sigh) I noticed that the pollen made it through my Moomba cover. Brand new '21 boat and cover. I didn't have time to deal with it, so hopefully it comes out easily. I was shocked to find yellowing on my white vinyl.

larry_arizona
05-19-2021, 08:32 AM
I towed our 2017 all over the western US. No issue whatsoever with the factory cover.
I did utilize the pole that snapped in the bow to keep the cover flapping to a minimum.
As for my new 2021, i will tow just the same with the factory cover.
And I'll never tow without the cover and have surf boards inside on the floor....don't ask me why!
Oh, and yes, waiting for the water to warm up, I painted the wheels to match the tow vehicle.....time on my hands :)

Wheels look MUCH better, they look odd they way they come from factory, they don’t look round LOL.