PDA

View Full Version : Surfing a 21 Mojo

Josh828
05-12-2021, 03:57 PM
With all the new mojos that got ordered I was wondering if anyone else is out surfing theirs yet?
Would love to see how everyone is setting them up

So I bought my mojo as my first boat ever and must admit I had never even touched a wake surf board..
Have taken the boat out 3 times now (9 engine hours) and last Sunday finally got behind it. Turns out I ride goofy I think..
Been doing a lot of reading and learning but still have a ton of questions but what would really help is seeing how everyone else is doing with their new mojos this being a new design and all.

My last ride I had 6 passengers and thought the wave was really starting to look good.

Current setup
Ballast bags all Full (actually question on ballast bags later)
Turned manual pump switches on to keep auto wake disabled.
Wake plate- 0-10
Surf tab port side- 70
Surf tab starboard- 75
Speed Portside- 10.5- 11
Speed starboard- 11.5
Pitch around 9.5-10*
Roll- can't remember tbh

Noticed the starboard side wouldn't clean up until after 11mph
also my driver (friend who owns a 2016 22ft Malibu) doesn't think the ballast are filling because some of the bags seem tighter than others, also he says he fills his bags till all 3 spit water out the side.

He also admitted the surf system seemed completely different so he didn't know anything about Moomba however says the wave seems to lack push

Basically what do I need to throw a better wake than a Malibu is going to be where this thread leads...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210512/b2103f969ddd6a6f034d233d92ea4c2b.jpg

Prospersigman
05-12-2021, 04:26 PM
Need pictures or video link to what the wave looked like?

Do you have any lead in the boat?

Surfed several Malibu's including a brand new M220 and IMO their waves look huge and impressive, but as you get to the back of a Malibu wave there is little push and the wave is mushy make it really hard to pump back into the sweet spot from the back pocket.

PJSurf
05-12-2021, 09:15 PM
Can't wait to see your videos. Your Mojo is gorgeous too!!

Zog
05-12-2021, 11:28 PM
You may have air trapped in the bags. There is an air release on the bag that you need to push. You usually only need to do this just after you put the bags on, so if you leave them on each time, you generally don't trap more air. Have fun!

Guppydriver
05-13-2021, 12:05 AM
You've got huge balls bro!

haknslash
05-13-2021, 06:55 AM
Fill until you see water pour out the sides. That’s the only way to ensure no air is in the bags even after burping them. Once water is pouring out turn off the ballast pumps. You should not keep them on and Autowake will only activate itself if you have it turned on.

schwan
05-13-2021, 07:08 AM
Good feedback so far. Manually vent the bags. Do you have flow 2 or 3 plates? If you have flow 2 you definitely need to drain some of the water out of the opposite side, or have all the passengers move to the surf side. Even with flow 3 on the goofy side needs a little help for a perfect wave. Get ready for a lot of scrutiny from your friend with the Malibu… I have friends with surf gate boats and they are all very partial to their own wave. I ride both mine and surf gate boats and the waves have a very different feel.

eder10986
05-13-2021, 09:02 AM
Love lake James! My wife’s family lives 10 minutes from the lake. I recognize the “828” [emoji869]

Not sure about stacking...you might not be able to close the compartments.

Not 100% familiar with your boat, but in our Supra we’re able to fit the Enzo sacks in the rear. Although we virtually loose all storage in the back and middle of the boat, these bags have been key to getting an awesome wave without playing with lead thus far.

I’ll take a look at our surfing profile soon but from what I can remember we do 100% ballast everywhere except 90% on starboard. Wakeplate at 10 and I think starboard plate around 65 but not certain.

This is for portside surfing, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh828
05-13-2021, 09:19 AM
Need pictures or video link to what the wave looked like?

Do you have any lead in the boat?

Surfed several Malibu's including a brand new M220 and IMO their waves look huge and impressive, but as you get to the back of a Malibu wave there is little push and the wave is mushy make it really hard to pump back into the sweet spot from the back pocket.

No lead! Been weighing my options on lead of ballast. I know I need more weight however I trailer the boat so ballast would be ideal. Might add a little lead for on the fly adjustments.

Can't wait to see your videos. Your Mojo is gorgeous too!!
Im kicking my self for not getting some already! In the moment I always forget I will be sure to next time and thanks!

You may have air trapped in the bags. There is an air release on the bag that you need to push. You usually only need to do this just after you put the bags on, so if you leave them on each time, you generally don't trap more air. Have fun!
So the air release is a push? seems like a spin cap, ill do some more research before I head out the next time!

You've got huge balls bro!
They really help with confidence! Actually loving the ropes on them makes it super quick to tie up and zero worries about even the largest wake.

Fill until you see water pour out the sides. That’s the only way to ensure no air is in the bags even after burping them. Once water is pouring out turn off the ballast pumps. You should not keep them on and Autowake will only activate itself if you have it turned on.
So I click fill all on my screen. They filled to 100. I then flipped the manual switches on. seems like the pumps kept turning off before pouring water out. Finally after cycling them they did. Then when I drained one bag said it still had like 20 in it. I believe i'm going to have to recalibrate all of that...
I was switching the screen over to auto wake to see my pitch and roll trying to distribute my passengers to get the correct numbers wasn't actually trying to use the system just view the pitch and roll readings!

Good feedback so far. Manually vent the bags. Do you have flow 2 or 3 plates? If you have flow 2 you definitely need to drain some of the water out of the opposite side, or have all the passengers move to the surf side. Even with flow 3 on the goofy side needs a little help for a perfect wave. Get ready for a lot of scrutiny from your friend with the Malibu… I have friends with surf gate boats and they are all very partial to their own wave. I ride both mine and surf gate boats and the waves have a very different feel.

Flow 2 plates. Yeah their advice so far has been to sink the rear and have the nose pointing straight up is all haha Haven't had any of the Malibu guys ride my wave yet but im hoping to have enough push to really get them excited

But I'm very happy with my team choice as its already been admitted the sound system is the better than all of theirs and the interior is leagues ahead of the axis.

Josh828
05-13-2021, 10:01 AM
Love lake James! My wife’s family lives 10 minutes from the lake. I recognize the “828” [emoji869]

Not sure about stacking...you might not be able to close the compartments.

Not 100% familiar with your boat, but in our Supra we’re able to fit the Enzo sacks in the rear. Although we virtually loose all storage in the back and middle of the boat, these bags have been key to getting an awesome wave without playing with lead thus far.

I’ll take a look at our surfing profile soon but from what I can remember we do 100% ballast everywhere except 90% on starboard. Wakeplate at 10 and I think starboard plate around 65 but not certain.

This is for portside surfing, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new mojo came with bags like the Enzo bags so they already come out under the middle seats! Which is nice just adding more is going to be a little difficult. Stock is 4000lbs so I would like to add about 1500lbs of ballast (maybe 1000lb ballast and 500 lead) and then typically will have around 10 people on the boat so another 1500-2000lbs

I'll be out on lake James again Memorial Day weekend if you see me swing by! Ill most likely be tied up somewhere due to the craziness haha

Ralphy
05-13-2021, 10:23 AM
Josh,
Being in a similar situation as you - first inboard, new to surfing, I obviously want a great easy wave every time. Here's the realization, LOL. Your wave won't be as big as Malibu's, or Supra's etc...The only way is to sink it with a ton of ballast.
As for the wave setup, once you figured out your equipment as stated above, here's how I got to my ballast settings with lead.

Went on the boat by myself.
Filled ballast 100%
Countered my weight with lead under the observers seat
Knowing I would be surfing at speeds between 11.2 and 11.6, I set my speed at 11.4
Moved the wakeplate to 0
Stated moving lead until I got my angles right

Next time when I had 4 passengers, all of them in the back, all I had to do is to either tinker with the wakeplate, or just turn on Autowake. I can't remember what the wakeplate ended being, but it was in the 20% range. Ballast doesn't drain -the most I've seen it Drain is 2%, when passengers are evenly split between sides.
Keep in mind we only surf the regular side, but when I switched sides, the wake was clean and the one bag only drained about 8%..
Anyway, you have a big boat. I would load it with at least 1k #'s or more for a crew of a few and enjoy.
Hope this helps

Zog
05-13-2021, 10:54 AM
So the air release is a push? seems like a spin cap, ill do some more research before I head out the next time!

I can't specifically comment on your bags, since I don't know what they put in the boat, but ours have a cap and under the cap a secondary push vent. Without burping the bag, you can wind up with water spilling out the overflows but the bags can be 30% full of air. Good luck!

Josh828
05-13-2021, 03:14 PM
Josh,
Being in a similar situation as you - first inboard, new to surfing, I obviously want a great easy wave every time. Here's the realization, LOL. Your wave won't be as big as Malibu's, or Supra's etc...The only way is to sink it with a ton of ballast.
As for the wave setup, once you figured out your equipment as stated above, here's how I got to my ballast settings with lead.

Went on the boat by myself.
Filled ballast 100%
Countered my weight with lead under the observers seat
Knowing I would be surfing at speeds between 11.2 and 11.6, I set my speed at 11.4
Moved the wakeplate to 0
Stated moving lead until I got my angles right

Next time when I had 4 passengers, all of them in the back, all I had to do is to either tinker with the wakeplate, or just turn on Autowake. I can't remember what the wakeplate ended being, but it was in the 20% range. Ballast doesn't drain -the most I've seen it Drain is 2%, when passengers are evenly split between sides.
Keep in mind we only surf the regular side, but when I switched sides, the wake was clean and the one bag only drained about 8%..
Anyway, you have a big boat. I would load it with at least 1k #'s or more for a crew of a few and enjoy.
Hope this helps

not looking to beat the Supras and Malibus... but totally am the axis, I mean the thing has a manual wedge for Petes sake haha

I can't specifically comment on your bags, since I don't know what they put in the boat, but ours have a cap and under the cap a secondary push vent. Without burping the bag, you can wind up with water spilling out the overflows but the bags can be 30% full of air. Good luck!

Thanks! no im going to try to unscrew it next time! I had fears of it ya know uncontrollably start pouring water out haha

Tommy2slow
05-13-2021, 04:26 PM
If the vent is a screw type you don’t have to completely remove the plug. It has a hole drilled in the threaded area that allows air out with the plug still threaded into the bag. Just need to loosen it till you hear air bleeding out. Leave it open until the air is bleed (sp?) and replaced with a stream of water. You can do the same with the bow bag. I periodically “burp” mine as they seem to get a little air from time to time.

sleek98
05-14-2021, 10:36 AM
I keep wondering how the new mojos overflow the ballast, or if they do. My screen will fill up and show 100 then a little red dot pops up next to the 100. I dont remember there even being an overflow port for the front. I still have a ton to learn on mine. Hoping to get down this weekend since our other plans got cancelled.

jcredible
05-14-2021, 11:58 AM
2019s and newer have the overflow at the bottom of the bag....and then a sensor in the overflow tube.

It detects water flowing out and then turns off the ballast pumps.

The problem is when there is air at the top of the bag. I always burp air from the bags to maximize fill....you should be able to only partially unscrew it and there are holes drilled to let air escape.

sleek98
05-14-2021, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I am guessing the red dot is telling me the sensor is seeing water.

jcredible
05-14-2021, 02:15 PM
yeah, your computer adjusts it to 100% saying it is full(red dot). If you burp the air....and flip the manual fill toggle switch....you get like 30 seconds of fill time before it kicks off....

Do that a few times and it will save you the headache of resetting the computer.

Josh828
05-27-2021, 09:11 AM
So went out a few times last weekend and bleed the bags and really starting to get the wave dialed in. Had so many people on the boat and things going on never got a picture of the wave. Do have a video but can’t figure out how to post it. Till then.. a blurry screen shot https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210527/9a587ca079a29e16e5f1c27a9dc8186e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210527/87eaeaa66d33e938e1850dde2fbf0ce5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210527/03969f71cf2fbb7fdc84bff895a11e04.jpg