PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Issue

Jimm
05-10-2021, 10:13 PM
2004 Outback got dewinterized a couple of weeks ago and all 3 times I have been out I have noticed smoke from the exhaust coming up. Never had this issue before. Obviously when I am at idle it is most noticeable. Is there something basic I should look for? Boat seems to run just fine. I've put probably 2 hours on it since. I know there are a multitude of potential problems but thats why I am looking for something basic before I have to get the mechanic out here.

Thanks

Tommy2slow
05-10-2021, 11:36 PM
What colour is the smoke and does it have any sort of distinctive odour?

SONIC
05-11-2021, 08:30 AM
Yep Color makes a big difference

Generally speaking:

Black smoke is running rich (stuck carburetor float, or in need of carb service, bad injectors etc)
White smoke is coolant (head gasket leak usually)
Blue smoke is oil (oil leaking into cylinders, rings, holed piston etc)

Check your impeller first, if it's got chunks missing it can clog up the works causing your exhaust to get hot and smoke.

larry_arizona
05-11-2021, 09:49 AM
What colour is the smoke and does it have any sort of distinctive odour?

https://youtu.be/DLhPzY7cMoY

Lol

OP, as mentioned above, color will tell you a lot.

Did your mechanic fog your engine when winterizing? It would smoke bad at initial start up, but shouldn’t last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimm
05-14-2021, 08:00 PM
Thanks yall. It is white smoke and not necessarily thick per se, and just smells like exhaust. Having built so many old 4x4s I do know the "distinct" smells mentioned. I sure hope its not a head gasket, I don't have time for that!
I'll have to see if it was fogged, I have no idea.
Thanks again.

HFarr
05-19-2021, 02:42 PM
Thanks yall. It is white smoke and not necessarily thick per se, and just smells like exhaust. Having built so many old 4x4s I do know the "distinct" smells mentioned. I sure hope its not a head gasket, I don't have time for that!
I'll have to see if it was fogged, I have no idea.
Thanks again.
I hear ya!

sandm
05-19-2021, 03:48 PM
in engines we have fogged in the past, it only smokes for maybe 10-15 seconds at first startup. 2hrs of runtime it's not engine fogging unless they pooled it up in the intake which it would then likely sputter and not feel like it's running right.