PDA

View Full Version : propeller

Vito-FINLAND
05-03-2021, 04:33 PM
hey,

i'm going to ride my moomba boat from finland to sweden. the problem is that the propeller pitch is too dense resulting in high engine speeds. what kind of propeller would be good for top speed as high as possible? and gasoline consumption low? I have a standard propeller. engine indmar Assault 325. Boat is mobius 2003

brad460
05-03-2021, 06:35 PM
You need a prop with a bigger pitch...So for example a 15” prop will move 15” with one revolution....a 20” pitch will move 20” with one revolution...

Determine what your current pitch is and go up several inches...stick with the same diameter..

Isaguel
05-03-2021, 07:03 PM
Good luck Vito. I don't pretend to know anything about your local geography, I just looked it up out of curiosity on Google earth and I see the narrow point as the Baltic sea joins the Gulf of Bothnia is about 25 miles. I would assume there will be some pretty high seas crossing that narrow. Is this what u are planning? Just curious.

sandm
05-03-2021, 07:38 PM
Good luck Vito. I don't pretend to know anything about your local geography, I just looked it up out of curiosity on Google earth and I see the narrow point as the Baltic sea joins the Gulf of Bothnia is about 25 miles. I would assume there will be some pretty high seas crossing that narrow. Is this what u are planning? Just curious.

thought the same thing. interested to see where and how. ocean waters are scary from what I remember boating around florida that empties into the gulf.

bergermaister
05-04-2021, 01:35 AM
As long as you head straight across, that distance should be no problem on one tank of petrol, even with the stock prop. Assuming you can fill up on the other side before making your way back. Unless you are trying to outrun something.

The first thing that came to my mind? "Vaya Con Dios"...

The 2003 isn't exactly an ocean going vessel, let alone a big river vessel for that matter. I've been on the ocean in a boat about the same length but with three times the freeboard of mine and still had some serious pucker factor going on.

Vito-FINLAND
05-09-2021, 12:50 PM

hello, the distance Vaasa / Finland -> Umeå / sweden is about 100km. 20km is a river in Sweden. intended to brew beer in Sweden and then back��

Vito-FINLAND
05-09-2021, 01:07 PM
You need a prop with a bigger pitch...So for example a 15” prop will move 15” with one revolution....a 20” pitch will move 20” with one revolution...

Determine what your current pitch is and go up several inches...stick with the same diameter..

I rarely pull water skis because there is only enough warm water here in midsummer. attached are a few pictures of the current propeller. this propeller has a top speed of 40mph, cruising speed of 27-30mph. which propeller would be suitable for a cruising speed of 45 mph, top speed 55-60mph.
power can be found in the boat:)

Vito-FINLAND
05-09-2021, 01:19 PM
As long as you head straight across, that distance should be no problem on one tank of petrol, even with the stock prop. Assuming you can fill up on the other side before making your way back. Unless you are trying to outrun something.

The first thing that came to my mind? "Vaya Con Dios"...

The 2003 isn't exactly an ocean going vessel, let alone a big river vessel for that matter. I've been on the ocean in a boat about the same length but with three times the freeboard of mine and still had some serious pucker factor going on.

https://goo.gl/maps/xj7Q1TMAW92ZzP5k8

Isaguel
05-16-2021, 11:59 AM
Sorry Vito, I'm not one to tell people what to do, but, I would reconsider. You have a 13 mile stretch of open ocean water and likely to have high sea's. Going fast ain't gonna help. Unless the water there is unusually calm, even small 3-4 foot sea's will be enough to put your vessel at peril. With that said, whatever you do, God speed, let us know how it goes.

HFarr
05-21-2021, 09:35 PM
I would be trying to figure out how to cover that bow to keep a possible wave from rolling over it. Doesn't a Mobius ride sort of low in the bow?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

bergermaister
05-22-2021, 12:27 AM
Doesn't a Mobius ride sort of low in the bow?

Hell ya it does! Ask me how I know. I almost owned a yellow submarine not too many seasons ago.

HFarr
05-23-2021, 06:03 PM
Hell ya it does! Ask me how I know. I almost owned a yellow submarine not too many seasons ago.LOL! I can visualize that comment taking place! [emoji38]

VA LSV
05-23-2021, 07:23 PM
hello, the distance Vaasa / Finland -> Umeå / sweden is about 100km. 20km is a river in Sweden. intended to brew beer in Sweden and then back��

Vito,

I work for Volvo Truck and have been to their plant in Umea many times and have several good friends that live there. I assume you will travel up the Ume river. I have an 2005 Mobius LSV which is the same boat as yours and the low freeboard is not ideal for open ocean water. They are designed for towing riders on calmer waters. Good luck on your trip and drink a beer for me at Lottas Krog!

Vito-FINLAND
06-22-2021, 04:24 AM
Vito,

I work for Volvo Truck and have been to their plant in Umea many times and have several good friends that live there. I assume you will travel up the Ume river. I have an 2005 Mobius LSV which is the same boat as yours and the low freeboard is not ideal for open ocean water. They are designed for towing riders on calmer waters. Good luck on your trip and drink a beer for me at Lottas Krog!

Vaasa and Umeå's gap is a narrow sea, no ocean. Open sea maybe 40 km (24miles). A quick boat does not last a long time to cross the sea. Then a river along the city.
The Finnish side is a large protective archipelago.

windless air, so no problem. But the propeller should be different that the pace would be greater

HFarr
06-22-2021, 08:48 AM
Let us know when you make the trip. Take some pictures too. Really sounds interesting. But still be careful.

VA LSV
06-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Consider the OJ 454, 13.7" diameter x 17.5" pitch or the OJ 1291, 14" x 20". https://www.ojprops.com/

sandm
06-22-2021, 12:33 PM
man, looking online it doesn't look that bad but NO WAY I would cross in that boat if it was me. bay of green bay was anxiety enough out in the "open" water of the great lakes and can only see land on one side and depth can creep up in a hurry. we never put on lake michigan in WI just due to the boat size vs water size.

either way if you make the journey post up some pics. cool to see owners in other parts of the world.

Vito-FINLAND
06-28-2021, 03:57 AM
Consider the OJ 454, 13.7" diameter x 17.5" pitch or the OJ 1291, 14" x 20". https://www.ojprops.com/

can the 14 ”propeller spin? i'm afraid it hits the bottom of the trailer. what are the axel details? has anyone installed a larger pitch propeller? what is speed ? are there good used propeller stores in the US?

VA LSV
06-28-2021, 06:59 AM
I run a 14" prop on my 05 LSV which is the same hull as your boat. No issues with trailer clearance with the factory Boatmate trailer. There were several props for sale in the classified section. Most of us on this forum are running extra ballast and lower pitch props so top speed is not a concern. The OJ 454 came on my boat from the factory.