PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Moomba Max Vs. Mojo

Wren
04-22-2021, 02:15 PM
Hello all,

First time post here, but I’ve read a ton from the forum and I’m hoping to get some help. So, my family is looking into purchasing what will end up being a 2022 Max or Mojo. But since we don't have the info on those yet, I'm just going off the 2021 specs. I just wanted to get your thoughts on the two. We have a family of five and we would generally take out another family of five on our last boat, a 2005 Outback. With going into the bigger boat, we might take another family of five as well. So, 15 total with 6 adults and 9 kids who are all under 8 years old. I like to surf, but we do wakeboard as well, and the kids love riding in the tube. We live in Colorado, so our season is a little short. I planned on getting some dry suits to try and extend it a bit. The elevation where we boat is around 5000 feet.

The price I got after upgrades I want on the Max is around $94k (with 400 motor). The price on the Mojo is around $109k (with 450 motor). The dealer said the upgraded motor on the Mojo would be wise and likely necessary due to crew and altitude. Although I’m not sure why it wasn’t suggested on the Max which is only 200 pounds lighter. Honestly, both are a little more than I wanted to spend. But the used market seems difficult right now and it feels like it would be better to spend the extra money and buy new. We plan on trying to buy at the end of the 2021 season. Dealer said they can do about 3% off MSRP and said this is about the same as they would do at the boat show right now (if we had one). I know boats are selling like crazy. But, does that sound right?

Anyway, I know the Max is a ton of value for the amount of boat you are getting. The Mojo seems to have a little more frills (hinged seats, Flow 3 option, walk through transom, trash can, 6 inches bigger, etc). Just wondering what your thoughts are on each? Do you think the upgraded motor is necessary? Does Flow 3 make that big of a difference with a surf/ wake wave? Any thoughts on new vs. used? Advice on must have or don’t do options? Any help or insight you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wren

maxrider
04-22-2021, 02:24 PM
Mojo all day long. For 15K more you are getting more HP a bigger boat and a better looking boat imo.

Holdmybeer
04-22-2021, 02:39 PM
Buy the Mojo. Dealer around me wasn't dealing on the price but was willing to throw extra warranty at me when I was shopping new (7yr vs 5yr), and adding extras like $250 pro shop credit. You need the extra power at 5000ft with 15 people and ballast full. My last boat (crownline) with 4 adults, no ballast, and skiing struggled to get on plane in Ohio 900ft.

larry_arizona
04-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Buy the Mojo. Dealer around me wasn't dealing on the price but was willing to throw extra warranty at me when I was shopping new (7yr vs 5yr), and adding extras like $250 pro shop credit. You need the extra power at 5000ft with 15 people and ballast full. My last boat (crownline) with 4 adults, no ballast, and skiing struggled to get on plane in Ohio 900ft.

Skier’s choice gave 7 years warranty to any delivery starting Jan 2021. It was there endless summer promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guppydriver
04-22-2021, 02:52 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?35964-2021-mojo-vs-2021-max

Here's a great thread, albeit focused on 21' models.

3% off seems silly to me, but maybe that's the environment we are in. A whopping 7 months ago, I was offered 9% and most were getting at least 6% and some freebies without trying.

larry_arizona
04-22-2021, 04:36 PM
I am surprised dealers gave any discounts this year. They would have offended repeat customers sure, but the market is red hot.

Wren
04-22-2021, 05:08 PM
Thanks all. That's how I felt as well. Honestly, initially looking and without checking price, I was hoping to spend closer to 80k on whatever boat we got (new or used). But after looking further into it, I realized that was not going to happen with what we were wanting.

Any thoughts on necessary upgrades or things not to get? Also any thoughts on Flow 3 vs. Flow 2?

Guppy I briefly checked out the other thread as well. I am like you checking two bottles of ketchup and looking at price per ounce for the deal. I am also the guy who feels like he has to have a good deal to make a purchase. So the whole no or limited discount off MSRP is hard. Anyway, Thanks for the link.

Bigs28
04-22-2021, 05:20 PM
A necessary upgrade to me is surf exhaust. That was mandatory. So was a heater.

Ralphy
04-22-2021, 05:26 PM
These are strange times. In the past I wouldn't buy a boat if it wasn't 20% off or so.. and those were still bad deals LOL. Now, none of my previous boats were inboard to be fair. The crazy thing is that whatever you pay for your boat today, you're likely to get back if you sell it next year, and the trend looks to continue. I would never in my life thought that I would say that.
Anyway, work them for a discount and buy the Mojo with flow 3 in my opinion, but if Max make more sense financially, you will be happy too.

Guppydriver
04-22-2021, 06:22 PM
Thanks all. That's how I felt as well. Honestly, initially looking and without checking price, I was hoping to spend closer to 80k on whatever boat we got (new or used). But after looking further into it, I realized that was not going to happen with what we were wanting.

Any thoughts on necessary upgrades or things not to get? Also any thoughts on Flow 3 vs. Flow 2?

Guppy I briefly checked out the other thread as well. I am like you checking two bottles of ketchup and looking at price per ounce for the deal. I am also the guy who feels like he has to have a good deal to make a purchase. So the whole no or limited discount off MSRP is hard. Anyway, Thanks for the link.

You sound like younger, much better version of me! I hear you man. For many, it's about being treated with respect on what is, for most, the second biggest purchase of their life. Of course, a consumer doesn't feel bad about leveraging a down market at the expense of margin, so I'm sure the dealers feel like it's time to have pot me kettle. Here's the thing though. Most dealers don't sell just one boat to a family, even if the family swears it's their "forever boat". I follow a lot of instagram dealer sites and I constantly see "Congrats on (insert brand here) #4 for the Smith family. I think dealers understand this and hopefully realize that walking you over a courtesy discount could cost them downstream when times aren't as good. Let them know that you could see yourself in a Supra someday if they are interested in establishing a relationship.

I'd make an offer and let them say no. I mean, be realistic for the market of course, but there's no reason they shouldn't be willing to work with you a little if you are willing to hand them a five digit profit of your hard earned money.

As far as options....

Get what you want. It's real easy for me to spend your money on my keyboard, but it's an AMAZING boat...so make it as easy and as comfortable as you can to enjoy it by optioning it up with things that make you, your family, and friends go...Wow..this is BAD A!!

I ordered my boat in October and left out little 200- 400 dollar options and things to trick myself into thinking I was "being financially prudent". From then until my spray date, I added about 6k worth of stuff, each time thinking "what the hell am I doing? It's $400 bucks on a boat that cost 104 THOUSAND dollars. If I'm spending that much already, I'm paying the extra $2.00 a month to have a boat that I'm love with. Why? Because there is no such thing as being financially prudent when buying a boat...lol.

Flow 3....Surf Exhaust..Big Screen....all the options that 90% of others boaters get....get them...there is a reason everyone does. The things like upgraded engines, trailer bling, and maybe even racks...those are some expensive items that might not make your experience at all better, so save the money. But if you commit to buying a 2022 brand new six digit surf boat, equip it like a 2022 brand new six digit surf boat!

Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision!!!!

Good Luck

brad460
04-23-2021, 08:52 AM
Curious, do you folks set a budget before buying something? (such as a boat) . Or is it more impulse driven (justified with its only $2 per month more).

If your ok with $15k swing why stop there- Why not swing higher to a Supra?

Wren
04-23-2021, 09:10 AM
Curious, do you folks set a budget before buying something? (such as a boat) . Or is it more impulse driven (justified with its only $2 per month more).

If your ok with $15k swing why stop there- Why not swing higher to a Supra?

Honestly, I did set a budget and it wasn't until I started looking that I realized my budget wasn't realistic. I used to be the guy that said I wouldn't buy anything new. But a few years ago when I was in the market for a truck (because we were having another kid and the car seats wouldn't fit in my old one), I looked and looked and then realized the price difference between new and used wasn't that far off. Really, knowing I was saving less than 20% to buy a newer used truck and possibly buying someone else's problem just didn't seem worth it to me. I ended up buying new and have not regretted it since. Although I will say, I just bought off the lot and did get a really good deal... which definitely helped.

I suppose this is the reason for looking into a new boat. Again, I've looked at the used market and the savings is about the same... 20%. Plus, used boats right now are often selling for more than they are worth and selling quick. I'm still open to the idea though. I think my wife and I are thinking we'll just save some more money to put down on a new boat and it will balance out. Especially since we know we're not going to be able to get out on the water this year (mainly due to work for me). As for the Supra... at some point the extra couple bucks a month becomes an extra couple hundred bucks and it doesn't balance out. Plus I feel like the resale value on the "budget" boats is better because they are typically within reach for most people who are looking. Hopefully that makes sense.

Bigs28
04-23-2021, 09:10 AM
I set a budget and after a year of not finding a boat i decided f my budget. Im not wasting another year of lost memories i could be making with my family. The mojo i have on order is more then double my original budget looking for a used boat. Was definitely not impulse. My dealer said in 20 years we were the most undecisive back and forth customers here ever had and i consider that a win.

Wren
04-23-2021, 09:22 AM
You sound like younger, much better version of me! I hear you man. For many, it's about being treated with respect on what is, for most, the second biggest purchase of their life. Of course, a consumer doesn't feel bad about leveraging a down market at the expense of margin, so I'm sure the dealers feel like it's time to have pot me kettle. Here's the thing though. Most dealers don't sell just one boat to a family, even if the family swears it's their "forever boat". I follow a lot of instagram dealer sites and I constantly see "Congrats on (insert brand here) #4 for the Smith family. I think dealers understand this and hopefully realize that walking you over a courtesy discount could cost them downstream when times aren't as good. Let them know that you could see yourself in a Supra someday if they are interested in establishing a relationship.

I'd make an offer and let them say no. I mean, be realistic for the market of course, but there's no reason they shouldn't be willing to work with you a little if you are willing to hand them a five digit profit of your hard earned money.

As far as options....

Get what you want. It's real easy for me to spend your money on my keyboard, but it's an AMAZING boat...so make it as easy and as comfortable as you can to enjoy it by optioning it up with things that make you, your family, and friends go...Wow..this is BAD A!!

I ordered my boat in October and left out little 200- 400 dollar options and things to trick myself into thinking I was "being financially prudent". From then until my spray date, I added about 6k worth of stuff, each time thinking "what the hell am I doing? It's $400 bucks on a boat that cost 104 THOUSAND dollars. If I'm spending that much already, I'm paying the extra $2.00 a month to have a boat that I'm love with. Why? Because there is no such thing as being financially prudent when buying a boat...lol.

Flow 3....Surf Exhaust..Big Screen....all the options that 90% of others boaters get....get them...there is a reason everyone does. The things like upgraded engines, trailer bling, and maybe even racks...those are some expensive items that might not make your experience at all better, so save the money. But if you commit to buying a 2022 brand new six digit surf boat, equip it like a 2022 brand new six digit surf boat!

Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision!!!!

Good Luck

Yeah, I definitely get it with the market right now. Dealers are able to basically say if you don’t want it someone else will. Which is an obvious reason why they are being stingy on price (and like you said, it’s understandable). I do plan on making a realistic offer that I feel comfortable with and isn’t like I’m asking for the moon.

Lol… About spending my money on a keyboard. The options you and some others talked about were things I was really wanting and planned on getting. I don’t plan on upgrading the trailer much other than the things I know I need (spare tire, guide poles, swing-away tongue, transom steps). Dealer did recommend the engine upgrade just due to our altitude and desire to have a larger crew (albeit 9 of the 15 are kids under 8). My dealer was also telling me he didn’t see much of a difference between the Flow 2 and Flow 3. He was suggesting sticking with the Flow 2 but adding the G6. Anyone have any thoughts on Flow 2 vs. Flow 3?

Thanks again

Wren
04-23-2021, 09:24 AM
A necessary upgrade to me is surf exhaust. That was mandatory. So was a heater.

Thanks. Those are two upgraded I also felt were mandatory. Especially the heater, since we boat in Colorado and I'd really like to extend the season a bit.

Wren
04-23-2021, 09:27 AM
These are strange times. In the past I wouldn't buy a boat if it wasn't 20% off or so.. and those were still bad deals LOL. Now, none of my previous boats were inboard to be fair. The crazy thing is that whatever you pay for your boat today, you're likely to get back if you sell it next year, and the trend looks to continue. I would never in my life thought that I would say that.
Anyway, work them for a discount and buy the Mojo with flow 3 in my opinion, but if Max make more sense financially, you will be happy too.

I was leaning toward the Mojo as well but felt the need to get some validation. Lol. What are your thoughts on Flow 2 vs. Flow 3? I know Flow 3 adds the extra tab but what does it do in terms of wave quality?

Holdmybeer
04-23-2021, 09:29 AM
Personally mine is planned. I set a budget and then look real hard at what I am comfortable with if I excide that figure. I bought used but I was shopping new at first. $90K for the Max seemed ridiculous to me. So I used the website like everyone else and built the Max I wanted, all options. I wasn't at 90K but close, and tax and prep, etc. I was still under but much closer to the dealer's numbers. Having a base of 62K I figured I could get used for that number, and I was very wrong if i wanted a 1yr old boat. But that is how I set my used budget moving forward. I ended up finding a Mojo at that price and before scheduling the in-person meeting came to the reality that I was being scammed. I then found my 2015 for less that my budget and it has allowed me to add extras and clean up things and still keep my accounts tight.

Back to the new purchase, I look at it long term. Am I ever going to pay this thing off and keep it 15+ years or is it basically a long term rental? If it is a rental resale and options are going to win out. The extra 15K is never going to hit your pocket, but the next buyer will want the 15K in options and make it easier to sell. You are going to pay $2 more a month on your "rental" then someone else is going to assume your "rental" and then they will pay the remainder.
But why not jump to the luxury version? This again comes down to monthly payment. Buying a 90k boat and paying 675 a month or buying a 104K boat and paying 677 a month, no one cares. Jumping to a 160k+ boat is now getting into $1000 month payments and hard to swallow (House vs Car payment ideas). Also, it is harder to find the next buyer knowing you still need a large sum of money to get away from this long term rental. Most luxury vehicles have higher depreciation and the first owner takes to larger bite.

Just my $0.02, but it works in my head. I want the luxury of a top tier boat someday, but the smaller payments are much easier to make when the white stuff is falling. The goal is to break even (or make a buck in this economy), but I shall see in the coming years.

larry_arizona
04-23-2021, 09:33 AM
Everyone knows what they can afford in the end.

Would be foolish to buy above your means.

Wren
04-23-2021, 09:45 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on the planned crew size - 6 adults and 9 kids - 6 boys and 3 girls - Boys ages are 9,9,8,7,6,5 and Girls are 4,3, and 2? This will be their ages next season. My thought was to have the boys up in the bow of either boat. Just wondering if that is realistic when it comes to safety and space? Also, wondering where you all keep your ice chest? With the new Mojo, will it fit in the area in front of the observers seat with that seat cushion removed?

larry_arizona
04-23-2021, 10:01 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on the planned crew size - 6 adults and 9 kids - 6 boys and 3 girls - Boys ages are 9,9,8,7,6,5 and Girls are 4,3, and 2? This will be their ages next season. My thought was to have the boys up in the bow of either boat. Just wondering if that is realistic when it comes to safety and space? Also, wondering where you all keep your ice chest? With the new Mojo, will it fit in the area in front of the observers seat with that seat cushion removed?

I think that crew size will be uncomfortable even on a Makai. Honestly the people ratings on these boats is ridiculous, my opinion is if the boat claims 16, it’s honestly 8.

Two adults in the bow is good, 6 kids.....

Prospersigman
04-23-2021, 10:12 AM
Don't take this the wrong way...I love my kids and I love my friend's kids, but 9 kids and 6 adults on a 23' boat is going to be brutal! Fortunately, all of my friends with kids have their own boats, we may take all the girls one day and have 4-5 girls on our boat and then the next day we might take the boys, some days our kids are on the other boats and we are adults only on ours. Your surf or wakeboarding rotation with that many people will literally take all day. Honestly, that is way too many kids and people in 1 boat in my opinion no matter how well they all get along. You are gonna need a Xanex prescription or maybe you are in a state where marijuana is legal and that would help.

TXSurf4
04-23-2021, 10:47 AM
My opinion FWIW is that a crew of 15 is going to be crowded on either of those boats (full disclosure I have not set foot in a new Mojo). As stated above 15 on the Makai would even be tight but your other crew size of 10 would be comfortable. I have had 10 adults on my boat and it was very comfortable and enjoyable. Have you built a Mojo and then built a Makai and checked the price difference? Some of the options you are talking about are more expensive on the Mojo vs the Makai so the delta wont be as much.

Swervy
04-23-2021, 10:48 AM
You are gonna need a Xanex prescription or maybe you are in a state where marijuana is legal and that would help.

I thought those two things were mandatory medications before taking care of children lol :)

brad460
04-23-2021, 10:49 AM
Honestly, I did set a budget and it wasn't until I started looking that I realized my budget wasn't realistic. I used to be the guy that said I wouldn't buy anything new. But a few years ago when I was in the market for a truck (because we were having another kid and the car seats wouldn't fit in my old one), I looked and looked and then realized the price difference between new and used wasn't that far off. Really, knowing I was saving less than 20% to buy a newer used truck and possibly buying someone else's problem just didn't seem worth it to me. I ended up buying new and have not regretted it since. Although I will say, I just bought off the lot and did get a really good deal... which definitely helped.

I suppose this is the reason for looking into a new boat. Again, I've looked at the used market and the savings is about the same... 20%. Plus, used boats right now are often selling for more than they are worth and selling quick. I'm still open to the idea though. I think my wife and I are thinking we'll just save some more money to put down on a new boat and it will balance out. Especially since we know we're not going to be able to get out on the water this year (mainly due to work for me). As for the Supra... at some point the extra couple bucks a month becomes an extra couple hundred bucks and it doesn't balance out. Plus I feel like the resale value on the "budget" boats is better because they are typically within reach for most people who are looking. Hopefully that makes sense.

Got it..

For me I like to set a exact budget and will refuse to budge. In the case of a boat it gave me a goal to drive towards- meaning it becomes a challenge for me to get the best boat for the price. I priced out different manufacturers boats, got pricing from 2+ dealers, pitted the dealers against each other on pricing, etc....I also keep emotions out of it - if I don’t get the deal I want then we won’t buy. I rather be without a boat for a year than over-pay.

This all drives my wife nuts because I do this with everything we buy- I wouldn’t call myself squeaky per say, just a little ocd when it comes to buying things..

larry_arizona
04-23-2021, 11:04 AM
Got it..

For me I like to set a exact budget and will refuse to budge. In the case of a boat it gave me a goal to drive towards- meaning it becomes a challenge for me to get the best boat for the price. I priced out different manufacturers boats, got pricing from 2+ dealers, pitted the dealers against each other on pricing, etc....I also keep emotions out of it - if I don’t get the deal I want then we won’t buy. I rather be without a boat for a year than over-pay.

This all drives my wife nuts because I do this with everything we buy- I wouldn’t call myself squeaky per say, just a little ocd when it comes to buying things..

Not a bad approach, it’s a lot of work, but with higher end toys, some get more satisfaction out of the “deal” itself.

As I have aged, it’s more about what I want, quality, content, then it is about price. Zero emotion involved.

I would take a boat that has the exact features, colors, content that I custom ordered over an additional discount for colors and content sitting on the showroom floor.

To each their own.

brad460
04-23-2021, 11:32 AM
Not a bad approach, it’s a lot of work, but with higher end toys, some get more satisfaction out of the “deal” itself.

As I have aged, it’s more about what I want, quality, content, then it is about price. Zero emotion involved.

I would take a boat that has the exact features, colors, content that I custom ordered over an additional discount for colors and content sitting on the showroom floor.

To each their own.

It’s funny you mention that- I feel like I’ve gotten much worse as I’ve gotten older when it comes to buying things! :-D

I need help...haha.

Walked out the other day over a fricken bunk bed for my son...the salesman wouldn’t get me a bigger discount. Wife just rolled her eyes...

larry_arizona
04-23-2021, 11:37 AM
It’s funny you mention that- I feel like I’ve gotten much worse as I’ve gotten older when it comes to buying things! :-D

I need help...haha.

Walked out the other day over a fricken bunk bed for my son...the salesman wouldn’t get me a bigger discount. Wife just rolled her eyes...

You will get there, I am now at the age of IDGAF. Takes time grasshopper.

Wren
04-23-2021, 11:52 AM

Lol... The budget posts are awesome! Brad, that is basically what I ended up doing with my truck. Driving back and forth over an hour each way until the dealer finally budged. I did the same thing with my wife's vehicle. It can drive my wife crazy as well. But I also know she appreciates the savings. I just know the boat market is so crazy right now and the "deal" likely will not come. Plus, with me living in Colorado we don't have too many boat dealers nearby. As someone else said I don't feel like waiting around knowing I'm missing out on another year of making memories with the family as the kids continue to get older. I know we're already missing this season because of issues unrelated to the purchase. I just love being on the water so much and the thought of missing another season sucks. As for used... right now I just don't want to deal with the headache unless I find something that we're in love with and can grab it before someone else does. I still keep an eye out.

All... thanks for the info on the size of the crew. I'll be sure to let my wife know your thoughts. We do all get along well and honestly getting three families together for an entire day is like trying to hack the nuclear football. Which is something my wife typically deals with, so I'm not sure if it would ever even happen. We just wanted the "legal" option to do so I suppose.

larry_arizona
04-23-2021, 12:01 PM
Another thing I have learned, don’t buy your toys to accommodate others. Buy based on your direct family only.

Technically, yes a 23 foot boat would be legal with that crew, hell, I am not even sure where 15 life jackets would fit on a max or mojo.

1st world problems

Zog
04-23-2021, 12:12 PM
L
All... thanks for the info on the size of the crew. I'll be sure to let my wife know your thoughts. We do all get along well and honestly getting three families together for an entire day is like trying to hack the nuclear football. Which is something my wife typically deals with, so I'm not sure if it would ever even happen. We just wanted the "legal" option to do so I suppose.

We have had 16 on our 2016 Mojo. It is a bit cramped, but doable. Since you are talking about young kids, they don't take up as much space. The young kids tend to want to run around the boat so it takes a little bit of education to get them to not move when you are driving and you need an adult to sit up front to keep things in control in the bow. Sitting in the captain's seat it all feels the same though :D

Jackets must be worn at all times by kids 12 and under, so that space issue is less of a problem. The biggest issue we have with the big crew is all the extra gear (kneeboards, wakeboards, surfboards) and dealing with food/snacks and keeping things clean. Everyone has to understand with the big crew that they don't get a long surf set and the regulars (my kids) may forego surfing and instead help teach and deal with ropes. It is a good education for them on how to become a future boat owner.

Holdmybeer
04-23-2021, 12:16 PM
Another thing I have learned, don’t buy your toys to accommodate others. Buy based on your direct family only.

Technically, yes a 23 foot boat would be legal with that crew, hell, I am not even sure where 15 life jackets would fit on a max or mojo.

1st world problems

With that many people.....the beer cooler should add a couple hundred pounds of ballast....lol

schwan
04-23-2021, 12:18 PM
We do 6 adults and 8 young, but no diapers, kids on our mojo all the time... It's packed, but it's fine, but we also usually don't do all day events since we're on the lake.

Get the flow 3.0! Once you get good at transferring, you will hate that it flow 2.0 requires a little bit of listing weight for a good wave, 3.0 allows staying pretty much evenly weighed down for ballast.

Also, get an inflatable swim mat like the mission mats, they flod up small and are great for getting kids off the boat for when you want to finally just sit and have a beer!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Guppydriver
04-23-2021, 01:23 PM
If I could tell you guys how many times I walked a fair deal on something I really loved over 1-3% of the price, only to then have to invest more than said 1-3% restarting the entire process to eventually find a slightly less costly but much less satisfying replacement...

Not worth the stress anymore for me. I'll fiercely negotiate, but I don't lose sleep anymore because some random dude on a forum in Des Moines got a better deal than me. If he even did.

I honestly know people who feel that if the dealer agreed to it...they paid too much. Paradoxical? Yes, but true. Had a buddy who pretty much stole a Ram a few years ago. Best deal I've ever seen. He faked his way into out of state credit unions to get additional $250 regional discounts and crap...no stone unturned. I told him I was BLOWN AWAY at the deal he got, and his response-

"I paid too much"

I replied "How do you figure"

"Because they agreed to it"

Hmmm... "So anything they agree to is by definition too much?"

"Yes"

Wren
04-23-2021, 01:31 PM
We do 6 adults and 8 young, but no diapers, kids on our mojo all the time... It's packed, but it's fine, but we also usually don't do all day events since we're on the lake.

Get the flow 3.0! Once you get good at transferring, you will hate that it flow 2.0 requires a little bit of listing weight for a good wave, 3.0 allows staying pretty much evenly weighed down for ballast.

Also, get an inflatable swim mat like the mission mats, they flod up small and are great for getting kids off the boat for when you want to finally just sit and have a beer!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I figured it would be packed and maybe we'd just give it a try. If it works out... cool. If not, I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for the advice on Flow 3 as well. I'll make sure to add this in. I did plan on getting a mission mat. I've used them before and they are really nice.

Wren
04-23-2021, 01:39 PM
If I could tell you guys how many times I walked a fair deal on something I really loved over 1-3% of the price, only to then have to invest more than said 1-3% restarting the entire process to eventually find a slightly less costly but much less satisfying replacement...

Not worth the stress anymore for me. I'll fiercely negotiate, but I don't lose sleep anymore because some random dude on a forum in Des Moines got a better deal than me. If he even did.

I honestly know people who feel that if the dealer agreed to it...they paid too much. Paradoxical? Yes, but true. Had a buddy who pretty much stole a Ram a few years ago. Best deal I've ever seen. He faked his way into out of state credit unions to get additional $250 regional discounts and crap...no stone unturned. I told him I was BLOWN AWAY at the deal he got, and his response-

"I paid too much"

"Yes"

Again, I am very much the same way. I will literally spend months of time researching, negotiating, and going back and forth. Not even considering the amount of money in time I am spending to get a "good deal". As I get older I am slowly realizing "time is money" and trying to relax a little. I did get a smoking deal on my truck, but it was a truck on the lot, and its bright RED. Which honestly, I've grown to love. My wife definitely appreciated the red and wanted me to get it over a white one that didn't have the same upgrades mine does. The guy I bought my last boat from was a manager over a couple Chevy dealerships and said he knew exactly what deal I got and that it was an amazing price for the truck. Which made me feel better. The "I paid too much because they agreed to it" mindset may be a bit much for me. Simply because you'd never buy anything. But, sadly... I can say that I also totally get it. With the new boat purchase, I just want to make sure I'm not overpaying and that the resale value when we go to sell it (because I don't think it is a forever boat... even though I'd like it to be) will still be good compared to what we paid for it. Hopefully that makes sense...

Wren
04-23-2021, 01:45 PM

1st world problems

Absolutely first world problems... and I do agree about buying for my family. For me though, boating is definitely a group thing and I enjoy taking people out and teaching. I know though that we have a guest bedroom in our house which we obviously paid for and it gets used maybe in total 30 days out of the year. I've talked with my wife about the often wasted space in the house. But we both agree that having a place for some friends to stay is worth it.

brad460
04-23-2021, 01:59 PM
"I paid too much"

"Yes"

That is hilarious!

I am not that extreme, but I will never agree to a dealers offer, they must agree to my last offer.

Strangely enough- my favorite part of buying a car, boat, land, snowmobile etc is the negotiating part. It’s like a competition thing to me...haha!

HFarr
04-23-2021, 02:04 PM
Just an idea of some pricing. I just bought this Makai several weeks ago. Here are the options and price. We were able to get a "boat show discount" even though the boat show was canceled and did not take place. I feel like this boat is plenty loaded out with features. He also through in a $500 Hyperlite surf board

Wren
04-23-2021, 02:16 PM
Just an idea of some pricing. I just bought this Makai several weeks ago. Here are the options and price. We were able to get a "boat show discount" even though the boat show was canceled and did not take place. I feel like this boat is plenty loaded out with features. He also through in a $500 Hyperlite surf board

Thanks for sharing. Man if you're getting a Makai for $98k plus tax, etc. $105k out the door with just about every option I'd want... I'm definitely not paying close to $110k for a Mojo with the 450 motor. Which is the only difference I saw in your Makai with 400 motor. Mind if I ask where you bought from. Honestly, I'm willing to travel if I needed to.

brad460
04-23-2021, 02:20 PM

This was a very good deal!

Your dealer must understand this hot market won’t last forever and better to make lifelong customers than screw someone over..

larry_arizona
04-23-2021, 02:21 PM
This was a very good deal!

Your dealer must understand this hot market won’t last forever and better to make lifelong customers than screw someone over..

Agree, building up to a Supra owner next.

HFarr
04-23-2021, 02:22 PM
Atlanta Marine, but I know they are looking at months out too now for new boats. Both Surpras and Moombas. Vinny is who I dealt with. I know he has driven pretty far to deliver some boats too.
We literally got the last one he had in stock. I have not been in one with a 450, but that 400 pulls really well with the gear/prop setup. I am not at any sort of a high altitude either. We generally have at least 10 kids and adults in the boat too. Mostly my teenage daughters friends.

HFarr
04-23-2021, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys. Good to know I did get a good deal. It's my first "surf/wake boat". I had a 2005 24' Crownline 240EX previously and it was a very good boat too. Could ski and wakeboard behind it well, but just built for a different purpose.

Wren
04-23-2021, 03:23 PM
Atlanta Marine, but I know they are looking at months out too now for new boats. Both Surpras and Moombas. Vinny is who I dealt with. I know he has driven pretty far to deliver some boats too.
We literally got the last one he had in stock. I have not been in one with a 450, but that 400 pulls really well with the gear/prop setup. I am not at any sort of a high altitude either. We generally have at least 10 kids and adults in the boat too. Mostly my teenage daughters friends.

Is this the place? We're not looking into getting in one this season. So, I might be giving them a call to check on price.

larry_arizona
04-23-2021, 03:26 PM

Is this the place? We're not looking into getting in one this season. So, I might be giving them a call to check on price.

If you are custom ordering you probably will need to go to your closest Moomba dealer. I believe SC dealers have some territorial rules.

Wren
04-23-2021, 05:38 PM
If you are custom ordering you probably will need to go to your closest Moomba dealer. I believe SC dealers have some territorial rules.

Gotcha. Yeah, I've heard that as well. Thanks for the info though.

HFarr
04-23-2021, 10:57 PM
Yes, and yes that is correct. The dealerships do have territory rules for new boats. I think a used boat is open game though. However, those are hard to come by. Go check out American Boat Brokers. They are also in Buford Georgia right down the road from Atlanta Marine on Lake Lanier. They have used boats. Also Singleton Marine. They are primarily Malibu and Axis, but also have other used brands. Atlanta Marine also has a place on Lake Sinclair GA too

HFarr
04-23-2021, 11:17 PM
Also Watersports Central in Buford Ga.

Isaguel
04-24-2021, 07:33 AM

Congrats. Nice setup. That is a very good price on that boat, pretty loaded. Good to hear deals are still out there to be had.

Tommy2slow
04-24-2021, 11:03 AM
It was asked earlier flo 2.0 or 3.0? 1 vote here for 3.0. The 2nd tab cleans up the wake which is an ultimately better wave. Add another $2 to your payment and have the best wave possible and never have to 2nd guess yourself. I ordered mine with 2.0 because it was brand new and not proven yet when I ordered mine. Wish I ordered it now.

Rush
04-24-2021, 02:07 PM
Yes, and yes that is correct. The dealerships do have territory rules for new boats. I think a used boat is open game though. However, those are hard to come by. Go check out American Boat Brokers. They are also in Buford Georgia right down the road from Atlanta Marine on Lake Lanier. They have used boats. Also Singleton Marine. They are primarily Malibu and Axis, but also have other used brands. Atlanta Marine also has a place on Lake Sinclair GA too

I believe non current new is also completely open as well, not there is any anyway.

Wren
04-24-2021, 04:19 PM

Wondering what you're towing the Makai with? If I could get a similar deal I might take another step up, since ther price you paid is similar to what I was going to pay for the Mojo. I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 with tow package. Max tow is 10,800 lbs. I know the Makai and taller is under that. But I also know that max tow rates are usually overblown.

HFarr
04-24-2021, 04:59 PM
I have a 2018 F150 4x4 with an Ecoboost. I pulled it 4 hours on the interstate at 70 mph with no problems. The trailer brakes work really well on the boatmate trailers. I wouldn't think your truck should have any problems. If I were going to pull it on a regular basis in hilly terrain, I might look at a 250 or 2500.

HFarr
04-24-2021, 05:01 PM
Where are you at? What State?

larry_arizona
04-24-2021, 05:12 PM
In Colorado at 5000’ elevation, if you have the 5.3l you maybe a little underpowered.

larry_arizona
04-24-2021, 05:28 PM
https://youtu.be/Wkqw0GC63rI

I stand corrected, the 5.3l should rock just fine at 5000 feet.

Wren
04-24-2021, 05:43 PM
Where are you at? What State?

I'm in Colorado Springs, CO.

Wren
04-24-2021, 06:12 PM
https://youtu.be/Wkqw0GC63rI

I stand corrected, the 5.3l should rock just fine at 5000 feet.

Thanks for the video. That gets me really thinking about moving to a Makai. Or at least putting it in the mix. Anyone have any thoughts on double axle trailer vs triple? Wheat are the positives and negatives?

TXSurf4
04-24-2021, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the video. That gets me really thinking about moving to a Makai. Or at least putting it in the mix. Anyone have any thoughts on double axle trailer vs triple? Wheat are the positives and negatives?

Triple Axle is a waste of $ and nothing but a huge flex IMO!! Looks sweet but the tires scrub a lot. I don’t think it increase the weight rating on the trailer significantly if at all but I could be wrong about that.

rdlangston13
04-25-2021, 08:00 AM

I think TXSurf4 nailed most of the negatives of the triple axle, a long with decreased fuel mileage from more rolling resistance and weight more bearings to maintain, more brakes to maintain, and more tires to buy. Benefits i believe are decreased tongue weight if you are pulling with a 1/2 ton truck and it might just be more stable going down the road as in bounce less. I personally dont think its worth it.

larry_arizona
04-25-2021, 08:20 AM
Plus I believe the Tri axles are leaf spring versus torsion on the tandem, I don’t even think the tri axle is offered on the Makai.

Only the SL and SE list a Tri option and the SA weighs more than the SL, so it’s not about weight, but perhaps a look.

The weight of a Makai also doesn’t justify it, about the only SC boat that could justify it is the SE.

Wren
04-25-2021, 09:21 AM
Triple Axle is a waste of $ and nothing but a huge flex IMO!! Looks sweet but the tires scrub a lot. I don’t think it increase the weight rating on the trailer significantly if at all but I could be wrong about that.

Thanks for the info on the double vs. triple axle trailer. That's how I felt as well and agree about it being a "flex". It looks cool. But if there's not really a benefit and it just is more to maintain plus more weight... then I don't need to flex.

Wren
04-25-2021, 09:23 AM
Now that it's been brought up... any info on 2021/ 2022 Mojo vs. Makai? If this has already been discussed... can you guys provide a link to the other thread? Thanks again.

larry_arizona
04-25-2021, 10:13 AM
Other than length, the mojo and Makai are nearly identical.

TXSurf4
04-25-2021, 05:53 PM
Depending on how you option a Mojo they can get very close price wise to a similarly optioned Makai. Mainly if you option the Mojo with the Pro Tower as it is standard on the Makai. If you aren’t going with a pro tower than the price difference remains. There are a couple of options that are cheaper on the Makai vs the Mojo though.

One option to really consider if you are getting the Mojo is the rear storage bins..... they are $700 and offer some good storage but if you plan to upgrade bags (which you likely will) then they will be useless. That is unless the Mojo has shallower bins that are intended for use with larger bags and I am not aware of it which could be totally possible.

larry_arizona
04-25-2021, 09:01 PM
The mojo/Makai price similarity is parallel to the SA/SL price, when all said, equally equipped they are under $2000 different.

Wren
04-26-2021, 02:32 PM
The mojo/Makai price similarity is parallel to the SA/SL price, when all said, equally equipped they are under $2000 different.

Cool. That's what I was noticing with the standard vs. option items between the two. Thanks for the info.

RC_Hinojosa
04-26-2021, 04:12 PM
Plus I believe the Tri axles are leaf spring versus torsion on the tandem, I don’t even think the tri axle is offered on the Makai.

Only the SL and SE list a Tri option and the SA weighs more than the SL, so it’s not about weight, but perhaps a look.

The weight of a Makai also doesn’t justify it, about the only SC boat that could justify it is the SE.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's possible, the Tate family over at the Wakeboatlife.com through RoBoMoCo got trips & a ladder on their boatmate trailer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNOP7gnhqNm/?igshid=1rtoz9zecvypv

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wren
04-27-2021, 09:25 PM
Going to the dealer to take a look at the Makai tomorrow. Planning on bringing the build sheet that was shared and hoping to talk them into a similar deal. Either way I'm looking forward to checking it out.

TXSurf4
04-28-2021, 07:57 AM
Going to the dealer to take a look at the Makai tomorrow. Planning on bringing the build sheet that was shared and hoping to talk them into a similar deal. Either way I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Nice!! You wont be disappointed.

HFarr
04-28-2021, 03:02 PM
Wren,
PM me if you would like some more info about the Makai I bought. Would be glad to put you in touch with the salesman if you want.

DNIXD99
04-28-2021, 06:57 PM
Love my Max, but Id try to get the Mojo/Makia close to 100k, and call it a day. I feel the Max is over priced now, new and used. The market is so ridiculous, Ive considering selling.

Wren
04-29-2021, 01:16 PM
Love my Max, but Id try to get the Mojo/Makia close to 100k, and call it a day. I feel the Max is over priced now, new and used. The market is so ridiculous, Ive considering selling.

I feel the same after looking and comparing the Max, Mojo, and now the Makai. After looking at the Makai yesterday, I'm pretty sure this is what we're going to end up with. My dealer said he should be able to get me at a similar price point to what was posted after showing him the build sheet. Mine will be a little more simply because at altitude we will need the 450 motor. But my dealer also said this would be recommended on the Mojo as well.

Just a few pro's and con's to the Mojo and Makai after looking at them (have not taken either out on the water yet) are;

Mojo Pro's: I really that it has the different seating configurations to open up space for the observer across from the driver. I liked the ability to do that. I like that the Mojo bow is still fairly deep. Which made me feel safer with kids up there. Cons: The Makai comes standard with the Pro tower and the Mojo it's almost a $4000 upgrade. After speaking with my dealer, he let me know the bimini on the A3 tower (standard on the Mojo) does not even come over the windshield. Which was a big negative for me and would have likely caused me to upgrade to the Pro tower and upgrade the bimini (another $400) more than the A3 bimini. The 7" screen is also standard on the Makai and a $1000 upgrade on the Mojo.

Makai Pro's: Obviously the Makai is a foot and a half bigger than the Mojo. Which we all know is a big deal. Like stated above the Makai comes with the Pro tower and also includes the 7" screen standard (which I again would have upgraded on the Mojo). Cons: The Makai is a little shallower in the bow which is where I wanted to put some of the kids so I wasn't sure how that would work. But after mentioning it to my wife she just said her and her friends can sit up there and the guys can take care of the kids in the back. I laughed but also know there is more than enough room up there and the three of them would be super comfortable. The Makai is obviously more expensive, but with the upgrades I would be making on the Mojo, it pretty much balances out. The dealer did say he thought the Mojo would throw a better surf wave out of the box then the Makai. But if I'm being honest, I'm not looking to go pro and I'm sure I will be more than satisfied with either wave.

Anyone have any additional pro's or con's to add? Also for anyone who own's a Makai... where do you put your ice chest?

Wren
04-29-2021, 01:36 PM
So after building the Mojo and Makai with the options I would want on both... The total on the Mojo came to $112,180 and the total on the Makai is at $113,980. Less than two grand for an extra foot and a half. My dealer said he should be able to get me about 10% off that price so the Makai would end up being $102,582 plus 4.9% sales tax (which is awesome for me because I get his sales tax rate at 4.9% instead of mine at 8.25%. If I'm figuring everything right, total out the door would be $107,608. Just because I like confirming a deal with someone other than the dealer... how does that price sound? Should I be looking to get anything else thrown in... warranty, gear, etc? What are your thoughts?

Guppydriver
04-29-2021, 01:49 PM
So after building the Mojo and Makai with the options I would want on both... The total on the Mojo came to $112,180 and the total on the Makai is at $113,980. Less than two grand for an extra foot and a half. My dealer said he should be able to get me about 10% off that price so the Makai would end up being $102,582 plus 4.9% sales tax (which is awesome for me because I get his sales tax rate at 4.9% instead of mine at 8.25%. If I'm figuring everything right, total out the door would be $107,608. Just because I like confirming a deal with someone other than the dealer... how does that price sound? Should I be looking to get anything else thrown in... warranty, gear, etc? What are your thoughts?

!0% off right now on a Moomba is FABULOUS!

To be honest , it's a damn fair deal even pre pandemic.

With regards to surf wave, I think the key words are "out of the box". The Makai's longer running surface would need just a little bow weight to have the same or better wave than the Mojo I bet. The wake 9 Youtube video of the Makai is pretty awesome.

Make sure you clarify the tax issue though. In more places than not, the tax will be assessed when you register the boat in your state or municipality. I have friends who do some interesting things in Montana to avoid sales tax (set up a LLC) on their toys, but I don't want to be on any tax commissions radar.

larry_arizona
04-29-2021, 01:52 PM
10% on a moomba is great. I thought you pay tax rate of the state the boat is registered in?

Factory warranty is either 5 year (standard) or 7 year (typically called the “endless summer” promotion) I believe that is on indmar power train only. The 7 year depends on when you take delivery, that annual promotion usually comes out in January.

The boat warranty is 5 years but has some limitations and several caveats.

Wren
04-29-2021, 02:07 PM
!0% off right now on a Moomba is FABULOUS!

To be honest , it's a damn fair deal even pre pandemic.

With regards to surf wave, I think the key words are "out of the box". The Makai's longer running surface would need just a little bow weight to have the same or better wave than the Mojo I bet. The wake 9 Youtube video of the Makai is pretty awesome.

Make sure you clarify the tax issue though. In more places than not, the tax will be assessed when you register the boat in your state or municipality. I have friends who do some interesting things in Montana to avoid sales tax (set up a LLC) on their toys, but I don't want to be on any tax commissions radar.

Those prices were based on the Moomba website builder. I still will not be able to boat until 2022, so they could change, but I'm hopeful the 10% off would stay the same.

So for taxes, at least in Colorado, you pay taxes for the county you are registered in on the trailer. In Colorado (like some other states) the trailer is the only thing with a title. The boat is registered through Department of Wildlife and it goes by length. My last boat at 20 feet was around $70 for the year. So I think the Makai would be $80-90 total for the year plus the registration on the trailer. It's still crazy to me that boats in any amount but especially over six figures don't have a title. Because the boat does not have a title you pay sales tax where it is purchased as though you were buying any other item. Which works out great for me. Sales tax in the city/ county I live in is 8.25%, which I will pay on the trailer. Sales tax in the city/ county where the boat is being purchased is 4.9%, which I will pay on the price of the boat. Hopefully that makes sense. I have also heard of various people doing strange things in other states to avoid the tax. But like you, I'm good staying off the radar. When I did buy/ sell my last boat 05 Moomba Outback, I paid cash for it and sold it for cash. Because of this I bought/ sold the trailer for $500 and the boat was the rest of the money. So I only paid and the new buyer only paid taxes on the trailer.

Guppy can you post a link to that Wake 9 video you were talking about? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Wren
04-29-2021, 02:10 PM
Also, thanks for letting me know that 10% is really good pre and post pandemic. That definitely will make me feel a lot better when it comes time to make the purchase. As we previously discussed, I'm the guy comparing price per ounce on ketchup and using Burger King coupons to make sure I get the best deal possible. So having that extra information is super helpful.

TXSurf4
04-29-2021, 02:14 PM

Your deal is spot on and basically identical to what we got on our Makai @ 10% discount. Get any other extras you can as that will vary by dealer. Dealers will usually throw in a decent discount in their pro shop which you can use to buy lead, boards ect.

As far as an ice chest we got one of the Moomba branded ones and it fits perfectly under the seats. You can find it with out the Moomba logo on amazon. It is a good compromise as it isn't the best or the biggest but I cant stand an ice chest on the floor. That being said we are on a lake so we don't need a days worth of anything so I understand why some people need bigger ice chests on the floor.

eder10986
04-29-2021, 02:14 PM
We bought a boat in Texas and live in NC. FYI we paid NC taxes which are 3% instead of Texas 7%.

I think you’ll end up paying taxes in the county that you’re registering the boat in like others have said so double check on that and make absolutely sure you don’t get double taxed

larry_arizona
04-29-2021, 02:18 PM
I would plan on 4-5% price increase on
2022 MSRP, maybe even more based on the current material supply issues.

I believe MaliBU is targeting 7-8% price increases for 22.

Guppydriver
04-29-2021, 02:36 PM
Those prices were based on the Moomba website builder. I still will not be able to boat until 2022, so they could change, but I'm hopeful the 10% off would stay the same.

So for taxes, at least in Colorado, you pay taxes for the county you are registered in on the trailer. In Colorado (like some other states) the trailer is the only thing with a title. The boat is registered through Department of Wildlife and it goes by length. My last boat at 20 feet was around $70 for the year. So I think the Makai would be $80-90 total for the year plus the registration on the trailer. It's still crazy to me that boats in any amount but especially over six figures don't have a title. Because the boat does not have a title you pay sales tax where it is purchased as though you were buying any other item. Which works out great for me. Sales tax in the city/ county I live in is 8.25%, which I will pay on the trailer. Sales tax in the city/ county where the boat is being purchased is 4.9%, which I will pay on the price of the boat. Hopefully that makes sense. I have also heard of various people doing strange things in other states to avoid the tax. But like you, I'm good staying off the radar. When I did buy/ sell my last boat 05 Moomba Outback, I paid cash for it and sold it for cash. Because of this I bought/ sold the trailer for $500 and the boat was the rest of the money. So I only paid and the new buyer only paid taxes on the trailer.

Guppy can you post a link to that Wake 9 video you were talking about? I'd be interested in seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt8VVwwEwn4&t=361s

Your tax issue makes sense. I remember now that some Colorado "forum friends" buying a Tige were having helluva time trading in their boat to a Utah Marine Shop because they kept asking for the title (which does not exist in CO). The Utah DMV was absolutely convinced this must be a stolen vessel and refused to issue a title. It was an absolute nightmare for this guy trying to get it straightened out.

You will unfortunately see some pretty substantial price increases for the 22' MY I bet. Also, I have seen a lot of heavily discounted boats made whole with absorbent prep fees which really cuts into that deep discount. When I was shopping last October, my Axis dealer offered me 16% off list price (which is outstanding for a economy brand), but then listed a $3000 boat and trailer prep fee and a $3350 transportation charge at the bottom. Adios discount. We've talked about it ad nauseum on this site, but dealers want to get you into the SC family, so that your Max purchase becomes a Mojo purchase which becomes a Supra purchase...etc
Use this leverage. You might not a deal of a lifetime, but there is still room that is fair for both ends of the table.

Wren
04-29-2021, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info on the likely increase in price. I guess we'll see what happens when the information comes out. As for the taxes, I will double check on everything before making the purchase to ensure I'm not double taxed.

Guppy, I totally get the 16% off and then the extra random charges they get you with. At this point, if I can get the Makai the way I want it for $110,000 out the door, I would be happy.

larry_arizona
04-29-2021, 03:57 PM
SC does throw in freight $1750 and dealer set up $750 and even charge $450 for the shrink wrap cover and I even got a $450 foreign Materials fee probably related to tariffs.

Rush
04-29-2021, 05:06 PM
I ordered an SL on January, it’s just about to be shipped. This is my 4th boat from my dealer, 3rd skiers choice boat. I’ve bought other products from them as well. Got 27% off my SL. Girl that processed it asked if I was family because no one outside of family gets that kind of pricing. I’m not, just have a really good relationship with a number of the owners and my sales guy.

larry_arizona
04-29-2021, 05:26 PM
I ordered an SL on January, it’s just about to be shipped. This is my 4th boat from my dealer, 3rd skiers choice boat. I’ve bought other products from them as well. Got 27% off my SL. Girl that processed it asked if I was family because no one outside of family gets that kind of pricing. I’m not, just have a really good relationship with a number of the owners and my sales guy.

27% is killing it. Great deal

Rush
04-29-2021, 05:31 PM
27% is killing it. Great deal

I was very surprised. That’s inline with my last couple boats, but this is not a normal year.

j.mo
04-29-2021, 08:46 PM
I was very surprised. That’s inline with my last couple boats, but this is not a normal year.

What dealer is that? I’ll take the same boat you got.
Just have them double the order. I’ll make it that easy

That’s about cost+10 according to seedealercost.

Guppydriver
04-30-2021, 11:39 AM

How do I become best friends with you?

russellsmojo
05-03-2021, 07:54 AM

Did you have a trade?

Rush
05-03-2021, 09:47 AM
Did you have a trade?

I didn’t, was a cash price.

russellsmojo
05-03-2021, 09:58 AM
I didn’t, was a cash price.

You did good sir! I will pay you a percentage to negotiate my next boat [emoji3]

daltong
07-06-2021, 11:55 AM
I feel the same after looking and comparing the Max, Mojo, and now the Makai. After looking at the Makai yesterday, I'm pretty sure this is what we're going to end up with. My dealer said he should be able to get me at a similar price point to what was posted after showing him the build sheet. Mine will be a little more simply because at altitude we will need the 450 motor. But my dealer also said this would be recommended on the Mojo as well.

Just a few pro's and con's to the Mojo and Makai after looking at them (have not taken either out on the water yet) are;

Mojo Pro's: I really that it has the different seating configurations to open up space for the observer across from the driver. I liked the ability to do that. I like that the Mojo bow is still fairly deep. Which made me feel safer with kids up there. Cons: The Makai comes standard with the Pro tower and the Mojo it's almost a $4000 upgrade. After speaking with my dealer, he let me know the bimini on the A3 tower (standard on the Mojo) does not even come over the windshield. Which was a big negative for me and would have likely caused me to upgrade to the Pro tower and upgrade the bimini (another $400) more than the A3 bimini. The 7" screen is also standard on the Makai and a $1000 upgrade on the Mojo.

Makai Pro's: Obviously the Makai is a foot and a half bigger than the Mojo. Which we all know is a big deal. Like stated above the Makai comes with the Pro tower and also includes the 7" screen standard (which I again would have upgraded on the Mojo). Cons: The Makai is a little shallower in the bow which is where I wanted to put some of the kids so I wasn't sure how that would work. But after mentioning it to my wife she just said her and her friends can sit up there and the guys can take care of the kids in the back. I laughed but also know there is more than enough room up there and the three of them would be super comfortable. The Makai is obviously more expensive, but with the upgrades I would be making on the Mojo, it pretty much balances out. The dealer did say he thought the Mojo would throw a better surf wave out of the box then the Makai. But if I'm being honest, I'm not looking to go pro and I'm sure I will be more than satisfied with either wave.

Anyone have any additional pro's or con's to add? Also for anyone who own's a Makai... where do you put your ice chest?

Hey Brotha, Fellow Colorado Springs resident here. Im assuming you're Dealing with Hez at RoMoBoCo, we have a build date slotted for Sept for a MOJO. Curious as to how the new pricing affected the numbers he's giving you. He's telling me we are looking at around $113k-118k with the options we want and the 450. We haven't decided on final options yet, we go down there to pick color and finalize here in the next few weeks.

Wren
07-07-2021, 08:45 AM
Hey Brotha, Fellow Colorado Springs resident here. Im assuming you're Dealing with Hez at RoMoBoCo, we have a build date slotted for Sept for a MOJO. Curious as to how the new pricing affected the numbers he's giving you. He's telling me we are looking at around $113k-118k with the options we want and the 450. We haven't decided on final options yet, we go down there to pick color and finalize here in the next few weeks.

Hey... yeah I am dealing with Hez at RoMoBoCo. Last I saw him was in May when I went down to look at the Makai. So we haven't gotten into the new pricing yet. I'm currently in a holding pattern on a new boat due to some job stuff. I did put a deposit in for a build spot, but I'm not sure when we'll pull the trigger. I know when I ran the numbers (old pricing) with the 450 the difference between the Makai and the Mojo with similar options (the Mojo optioned more due to many options coming standard on the Makai) was only about $2000.00. This is why I started leaning more toward the Makai. It just made sense to pay the extra 2k and get more boat.

Do you currently have a boat? I've been wondering how Pueblo Reservoir is now a days. Hez was saying it got crazy busy with COVID and people just looking for something to do outside. We actually sold our boat (2005 Moomba Outback) last year, again due to job stuff. So I haven't been out on the water in a while. I know when we were going pre COVID it was never really busy. At least not by my standards. I grew in California and my family went boating around Parker, AZ. and Lake Havasu. Out there if you weren't on the water by 6am, you were dealing with constant chop. Anyway, let me know how everything goes.

sleek98
07-07-2021, 08:50 AM
When I got my mojo last October, the pricing difference was like 500-600 between the mojo and the makai. We just decided we really didn’t need the extra foot for how many people we take out. So far I don’t regret it.

Wren
07-08-2021, 10:12 AM

Hey, also wanting to know. What do you do to extend boating season out here? I planned on getting some dry suits to be able to go out sooner. Then trying to take an out of state trip (Lake Powell or somewhere in Texas) around April and October. I just don't know about those random snow storms that we get in May and October. Taking the boat out and not re-winterizing makes me nervous. It's just hard to spend all that money on a boat for what generally equates to about a three month season. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Wren
07-08-2021, 10:14 AM
When I got my mojo last October, the pricing difference was like 500-600 between the mojo and the makai. We just decided we really didn’t need the extra foot for how many people we take out. So far I don’t regret it.

Yeah, I do like some of the features on the Mojo that the Makai does not have. Especially the new removable seat to add an opening for the co-captains feet. Although, I'm still hoping an ice chest could fit in there. I'm still not completely certain. Fortunately, good or bad, my job situation is creating a mandatory waiting period.

dfreeman
07-08-2021, 11:31 PM
Hey, also wanting to know. What do you do to extend boating season out here? I planned on getting some dry suits to be able to go out sooner. Then trying to take an out of state trip (Lake Powell or somewhere in Texas) around April and October. I just don't know about those random snow storms that we get in May and October. Taking the boat out and not re-winterizing makes me nervous. It's just hard to spend all that money on a boat for what generally equates to about a three month season. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Read up on winterizing the boat and you’ll find it’s pretty easy on the raptor motors. All locations are marked with blue labels and getting all of them is about 20 minutes after you’ve done it once or twice.

daltong
08-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Hey... yeah I am dealing with Hez at RoMoBoCo. Last I saw him was in May when I went down to look at the Makai. So we haven't gotten into the new pricing yet. I'm currently in a holding pattern on a new boat due to some job stuff. I did put a deposit in for a build spot, but I'm not sure when we'll pull the trigger. I know when I ran the numbers (old pricing) with the 450 the difference between the Makai and the Mojo with similar options (the Mojo optioned more due to many options coming standard on the Makai) was only about $2000.00. This is why I started leaning more toward the Makai. It just made sense to pay the extra 2k and get more boat.

Do you currently have a boat? I've been wondering how Pueblo Reservoir is now a days. Hez was saying it got crazy busy with COVID and people just looking for something to do outside. We actually sold our boat (2005 Moomba Outback) last year, again due to job stuff. So I haven't been out on the water in a while. I know when we were going pre COVID it was never really busy. At least not by my standards. I grew in California and my family went boating around Parker, AZ. and Lake Havasu. Out there if you weren't on the water by 6am, you were dealing with constant chop. Anyway, let me know how everything goes.

Sorry for the late reply, this forum is constantly logging me out even tho im a constant lurker lol.

We do have a boat currently, We are coming from a 06 Super Air Nautique SV211 TE. Pueblo hasn't been bad this year, its certainly better than Chatfield; but I'd have to say my favorite spot to go is John Martin but the drive sucks ass. We are in the Glen in CO springs so Pueblo just makes sense. Curious to see what route you ended up going, we decided with the gap being so close and after finding out that the Mojo wouldn't clear our 8ft garage doors to Just take the plunge and build a Supra SA. We picked out options and colors a few Fridays ago and it builds in October. We are stoked af

Wren
08-05-2021, 09:16 AM
Sorry for the late reply, this forum is constantly logging me out even tho im a constant lurker lol.

We do have a boat currently, We are coming from a 06 Super Air Nautique SV211 TE. Pueblo hasn't been bad this year, its certainly better than Chatfield; but I'd have to say my favorite spot to go is John Martin but the drive sucks ass. We are in the Glen in CO springs so Pueblo just makes sense. Curious to see what route you ended up going, we decided with the gap being so close and after finding out that the Mojo wouldn't clear our 8ft garage doors to Just take the plunge and build a Supra SA. We picked out options and colors a few Fridays ago and it builds in October. We are stoked af

That's good to know about Pueblo, which is the only place we have been out here. Like you said, it just makes sense with the drive. As of now we are still in a holding pattern on our boat due to some job stuff. So we still are undecided on which one to choose. We're also considering a move down to Austin right now. We visited not too long ago and the lakes down there are insane. I just want to be closer to water and have more time to use the boat. Especially if I'm spending six figures on it. That's awesome about the Supra. I'm sure it will be an amazing boat!

2in2out
08-05-2021, 11:25 AM
We're also considering a move down to Austin right now. We visited not too long ago and the lakes down there are insane.

I just spent the last four days house hunting in Austin. Prepare to move fast and deal with crazy sellers. Our offer almost wasn’t accepted because the sellers didn’t like the type of lender we were using. Made no sense, because they were a national company.

Currently boatless

larry_arizona
08-05-2021, 11:43 AM

In case your dealer didn’t clarify it, an SA will clear an 8 foot door with the board racks removed.

But so should a mojo with the pro tower option.

Congrats on the SA, it’s such a killer boat.

mjb929rr
08-05-2021, 02:34 PM
From the springs here as well. John Martin used to be a Nice lake. It’s so low now that you can’t get a boat in. If your up for driving we go to Swanson lake in Nebraska every weekend Always get glass and they don’t require checks or seals on the boat. We have left our rv on the beach all summer there. Worth checking out if you can make a weekend out if it.