PDA

View Full Version : NEW 2021 Mondo surf problems

matty10
04-15-2021, 11:27 AM
I just got a 2021 mondo and I can't get this thing to make a wave to surf on. It's really me and the wife on the boat but it will not push and keep me in the pocket. We are new to this but still should at least look like the wave the guy from wake9 on youtube had when he reviewed the boat. We had 4 people on it yesterday and they knew how to surf and couldn't get the wave right. I ordered 300lb of lead so I can add to the bow since that keeps on saying it needs to come down to 9.5 pitch. But do I need to upgrade my prop? I have the general use one I was going to get the speed/surf one from Wakemakers and use the general use one as a spare. here is the build. should I buy anything else?

sandm
04-15-2021, 12:05 PM
if it's still factory my gut is you will need a lot more weight. I've surfed a mondo from boater4life and it can make a good wave but he had to add upgraded rear bags, a front ibs and he usually ran with 5 in the boat.

we are on our 4th boat and none of them every made a wave worth talking about until we upgraded the ballast. current boat has 800lbs of lead on top of 3k in water and still needs another 500lbs when it's only 4 of us.

prop will only be needed if boat struggles to get on plane loaded up. I'd hold off on the prop until you get a wave dialed then see if it's needed.

larry_arizona
04-15-2021, 12:22 PM
What are your pitch and roll numbers?

If you can’t get bow to 9.5, that wave will be super short and close to the boat.

Like said above...... there isn’t a moomba around that will surf with 2 people in it on stock ballast, bag or lead is needed.

Supras can do it out of the box but they weigh quite a bit more than an equal length moomba.

No replacement for displacement. You will figure it out and love it once you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty10
04-15-2021, 12:39 PM
ok so Ill get more weight then I have 300 lb of lead coming but I guess I need more. Wakemakers said they don't have an upgrade for my bags yet but its 3700 lb of ballest.

the only reason I was talking prop is cus I hit something and bent mine which I bent and shaped back but wanted to get a 2nd one and send this off to get fixed to have a spare one.

i don't know how to make the pics big but here is the prop

Chuds
04-15-2021, 02:34 PM
I am afraid I cannot comment on the best set up as it is still too cold up here to pick up the boat and play with it yet.

That being said both Larry and Sandm I mean no disrespect when I say this but to state that the boat will not be surfable stock with two people doesn't make sense with the new iteration of the mondo. Sure the old mondo needed more weight for a better wave but even then the new version comes with 3700 lbs and the set up that Sandm referenced would likely not be as much total weight in comparison to your last trip out. In comparison the old mondos were not getting to that much ballast when bags were changed out and lead added so I am failing to see why you could not expect a surfable wave stock even with 2 people.

What were your tab settings, how much fuel, what are you guessing in people weight, do you have pictures of the wave, were you running autowake as that can drain ballast trying to hit settings especially if you have the people loading the wrong side of the boat, what was the depth of water you were in, how fast were you going,. While more weight is certainly better (I have bags from my last boat I will use on light person crew days) to not be able to surf it at all with the stock ballast doesn't sound right IMO but again I am far from an expert and way less experienced than Larry and Sandm and might be way off base in what I am saying but there are a lot more factors that need to be looked at first before suggesting that more weight is needed (although again it is never bad) and adding more weight in lead be careful towing on the single axel as you will overload it quickly with a full tank of fuel and a bunch of lead.

larry_arizona
04-15-2021, 02:52 PM
Watch the wake 9 mondo video carefully.

Their “stock” ballast surf wave was with 2 large adults and 3 regular as stated in video or appx 1200# of human ballast.

OP’s says they tried with 2 people on stock ballast. Appx 300-400 of human ballast. That extra 800-900# in Roberts video is beyond significant.

Then Robert explains the mondo needs nose weight and added 500# to the bow to get to 9.5deg, OP states he can’t get near 9.5 deg stock ballast with 2 adults.

So I stand by my comment of no moomba surfs stock with 2 adults.

Chuds
04-15-2021, 03:22 PM
I have watched the video at least 100 times while waiting for my build but not the point, what is hanging me up is the statement that you cannot surf behind the boat stock period and that nothing else matters but weight. Yes there is a weight spread between Robert's stock vs OP's stock but he had more than 2 people on it the last time out and still nothing. I am not going to argue that more weight would be better sure no doubt but if OP came back and said he was surfing in 10 feet of water that would likely be more impactful on his ability to surf, if he came back and said that his autowake was on and we could establish that it was draining ballast that would be impactful and if they are surfing with their wake plate at 80% trying to make the 9.5 setting will be more impactful was more my point before throwing more money on lead. Weight distribution and aiming for 9.5 degrees is going to warrant more people and or lead ballast in the nose but my point is please provide more information as not being able to surf period (yes it will not be amazing and might take some work but not impossible) doesn't sound right as other reviews have similar people and no claimed additional ballast (albeit maybe they have a grand of lead hidden but I am not jaded enough to believe that) like this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPKXGgs21FQ

I know I sound defensive and I apologize but I am more just wanting to review all the potential causes for some what selfish reasons before just simply stating more weight is needed and I am also not a fan of blanket nope can't surf it period statements which need context for new less experienced owners (I will throw myself into that category for the sake of this discussion).

Chuds
04-15-2021, 03:26 PM
Larry, one question though the dinged prop, what are your thoughts on that

- would that impact anything with the wave?
- OP stated he bent it back and went on his way, that sounds sketchy to me, sure to get back to the dock but I am not sure that is a great idea to use it like that as balance, pitch etc. could be impacted no?

matty10
04-15-2021, 03:40 PM
no I ran like that all day with the prop didn't know what was going on just felt some vibrations when I got home I bent it back. Now Im going to order a 15.5x15 to put on and have the stock one sent off to get fixed so I have a spare.

I tried auto wake and I tried just cruse at 10.5-11.5 I'm in 12-20 feet of water on a big lake. I was going to go back out this Sunday to try again but autowake kept telling me to add more weight to the bow and it was always at like 10.5-12 degrees on the pitch. My roll clicked in and was green. but my wave was short and didn't have much push to stay with the boat if you let go of the rope. I have never done this before so I have no clue what the hell I'm doing. i weight 190 and my wife is 115 so that only 305 in weight. I did have the boat full of gas when I came out there that day.

We were surfing starboard side and wake plate at 65 with was default I guess and I would move the smartplate up and down to try to make the wave look good

sandm
04-15-2021, 04:21 PM
12ft is iffy on a wave. we boarded the fox river and the channel was 20+ thru most but a couple spots were 10-14ft and wave was def. different in that spot. if you are regularly in 12ft that can impact the wave. it turns flatter and loses some push. if the water is regularly 12ft-ish, that's a big issue.

chuds, no disrespect taken :) ... but larry calls out some good info on it. if ragboy added weight, it'll need weight. he has forgotten more about setting up a boat than most of us will ever remember.

larry_arizona
04-15-2021, 04:22 PM
Prop doesn’t effect wave assuming you can move the weight at the speed you want.

You do have to take Roberts videos for what they are, he knows a wave better than most and usually his proof is when he surfs a wave. It requires good push.

Can you surf a mondo stock with light crew? Not positive, my 2018 SA would but I wouldn’t say it was awesome. 500# lead with a light crew was the difference of good and amazing.

500# and heavy crew.......insane goodness.

Displacement makes exponential improvement.

Waves shut off like a light switch in under 12 feet water as mentioned.

11-12 deg pitch is killing you on a SC boat, they like 8-9.5 pitch. There is no arguing it, other brand boats live at 12.5 deg, moomba/Supras don’t. Robert was pretty clear the mondo needs bow weight to get under 9.5.

Don’t add wake plate, it also kills wave and push. Keep wake plate under 25 max, but hit your pitch number first, then roll number and watch the wave turn on.

Zog
04-15-2021, 04:27 PM
12ft is iffy on a wave. we boarded the fox river and the channel was 20+ thru most but a couple spots were 10-14ft and wave was def. different in that spot. if you are regularly in 12ft that can impact the wave. it turns flatter and loses some push. if the water is regularly 12ft-ish, that's a big issue.

chuds, no disrespect taken :) ... but larry calls out some good info on it. if ragboy added weight, it'll need weight. he has forgotten more about setting up a boat than most of us will ever remember.

I will second this. We regularly surf a reservoir with a typical depth of 18-20 ft. Wave is just OK. At Lake Powell (depth 200-300 ft) the wave is phenomenal even lightly loaded. As our regular reservoir dropped to 14-16 ft last fall, we were left with a wave that had very little push.

Ralphy
04-15-2021, 05:16 PM
When we did our Demo in October, the wave was very surfable with only 3 people in the boat and no lead. The only thing that comes to mind besides the lake depth, is that the auto wake sensors may need to be recalibrated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but should the message to add more weight to to the now come on only after certain amount of rear ballast was drained? Try setting your amplitude to 80% and see if you still get the message to add weight to the now. I'm supprised your dealer didn't show you how to setup the wave during delivery. Our dealer does it on a lake. I would call them and have someone come out with you before you frustrate yourself.

larry_arizona
04-15-2021, 06:04 PM
When we did our Demo in October, the wave was very surfable with only 3 people in the boat and no lead. The only thing that comes to mind besides the lake depth, is that the auto wake sensors may need to be recalibrated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but should the message to add more weight to to the now come on only after certain amount of rear ballast was drained? Try setting your amplitude to 80% and see if you still get the message to add weight to the now. I'm supprised your dealer didn't show you how to setup the wave during delivery. Our dealer does it on a lake. I would call them and have someone come out with you before you frustrate yourself.

If Autowake is on, yes it should drain rear ballast to help achieve pitch if it’s too high, but it will also tell you to move people/mass to assist.

Ideally you want to use autowake to teach you where to put mass while keeping ballast full.

Like Robert said, the mondo doesn’t have a lot of forward leverage, so you need a little more mass than normal in the bow, think teeter totter

rhouse181
04-16-2021, 12:19 PM
Think you have the nose too high... I ran into this issue with my stock Kaiyen with only a driver in the boat when first starting out. The wave looks big, but it's all right off the swim platform and lacks push. Autowake had no clue what to do and would just drain ballast everywhere and I got super frustrated.

Turn off auto wake, fill everything up 100%. Use the centerplate to force the nose down by bumping it down 5% to 10% or so. The wave will look smaller from an amplitude standpoint, but it will be longer and surf with more push. Boards make a big difference too, so if you are riding a stock wave you need a fast board.

As everyone said though, you will have fun... start carving and eventually drop the rope. But you will yearn for more. I'm at 700 lbs of lead in my Kaiyen evenly distributed with just my wife and 2 young kids in the boat which seems to be a good balance for us. But every time we have extra passengers, the wave stacks even more. The boat handles chop a million times better with the extra lead, so there are some side benefits of static ballast as well.

Don't get frustrated and just manually play around with settings to find your sweet spot. Good luck!

matty10
04-16-2021, 02:15 PM
Think you have the nose too high... I ran into this issue with my stock Kaiyen with only a driver in the boat when first starting out. The wave looks big, but it's all right off the swim platform and lacks push. Autowake had no clue what to do and would just drain ballast everywhere and I got super frustrated.

Turn off auto wake, fill everything up 100%. Use the centerplate to force the nose down by bumping it down 5% to 10% or so. The wave will look smaller from an amplitude standpoint, but it will be longer and surf with more push. Boards make a big difference too, so if you are riding a stock wave you need a fast board.

As everyone said though, you will have fun... start carving and eventually drop the rope. But you will yearn for more. I'm at 700 lbs of lead in my Kaiyen evenly distributed with just my wife and 2 young kids in the boat which seems to be a good balance for us. But every time we have extra passengers, the wave stacks even more. The boat handles chop a million times better with the extra lead, so there are some side benefits of static ballast as well.

Don't get frustrated and just manually play around with settings to find your sweet spot. Good luck!

ok, ill try that my lead comes on Monday. I just got the new prop going to put that on today and maybe I will try to place the 500-pound fat sac I have from my parent's little boat up near the bow to see if that helps while I wait on my lead to come in

as far board go I have a

Liquid Force Primo 4'10
Hyperlite Broad cast 4.8

my girl is 115 pounds and Im 190 maybe these boards are two smalls for me ?

sandm
04-16-2021, 06:51 PM
I have an old inland surfer 4-skim. it's a REALLY small board at 4.4. I'm 215 and can ride it for days and my sis' ex at 250 can ride it as well. it's not the "ideal" size for me but scored it for 100bux back in 2008 and we still take it out almost every time for some fun. it's a board that with a wave lacking push it'll still ride wireless due to it's size.
those boards above should support you all day long. broadcast is one of the best "boat boards" out there and lots of beginners have started on it. we had the 5.0 back in 07-12 and used it for years with all kinds of weights..

matty10
04-19-2021, 10:49 AM
Put this 500 fat sac in the bow and it really helped some. my wife could drop the rope but I could not get it. Didn’t seem like any push. But I’m new. Got a new prop on there and the boat runs good I guess I just really need weight to surf on this thing because it’s just us most of the time. And she only weighs 115 so I’m basically surfing a empty boat.

larry_arizona
04-19-2021, 10:50 AM
After the 500# sac, what was your pitch?

matty10
04-19-2021, 11:10 AM
I could get it to 9.5 and achieve auto wake but I had to run the smart plate to like 77-80. I have 300lb of lead that just cam so I was going to put that in there and try. I have some videos. Im just trying to get them uploaded so you all can see

matty10
04-19-2021, 11:23 AM
https://vimeo.com/538720687

matty10
04-19-2021, 11:26 AM
Here is my Wife

https://vimeo.com/538730470

TXSurf4
04-19-2021, 11:32 AM
I could get it to 9.5 and achieve auto wake but I had to run the smart plate to like 77-80. I have 300lb of lead that just cam so I was going to put that in there and try. I have some videos. Im just trying to get them uploaded so you all can see

Your Smart Plate setting is not helping you. You want your smart plate @ 25% or less. Seems to me you need more weight. To test it out you can always just fill the boat with some friends for a trip and see the difference before spending the $.

matty10
04-19-2021, 11:40 AM
https://vimeo.com/538738249
https://vimeo.com/538738430

larry_arizona
04-19-2021, 11:47 AM
Agree, way too much plate at anything above 25%, absolutely will kill your push.

That sack may be 500#, but the mondo nose is so short that your sack is not much past your fulcrum point.

Your goal should be 8.5-9.5 pitch with less than 25% plate. All the plate does is lift the rear of the boat out of the water.

TXSurf4
04-19-2021, 11:57 AM
As Larry stated above the plate deployed that far down just lifts the rear up and in doing that you are actually counteracting some of your ballast.

I also agree with Larry in that your additional 500# while it might be helping a little is still very close to your fulcrum point so it isn't giving you that much of an advantage. When your lead shows up I would stuff it as far forward in the bow as you can and see how that does.

Do you happen to know what your pitch is with all ballast full and 0 smart plate?

matty10
04-19-2021, 12:00 PM
so what do I need to do ? put lead in the nose compartment under the bag when I get it? I would upgrade the bags from wakemakers but they said they didn't have them out yet for my boat.

matty10
04-19-2021, 12:01 PM
TXSurf4

it was like 12 something with smart plate 0

larry_arizona
04-19-2021, 12:14 PM
Personally I would try putting lead on front seat as far forward as possible without the fat sack.

See if that is enough leverage to get to 8.5-9.5 pitch with less that 25% plate. If not, add humans to the bow until you get to that pitch.

Assuming you are also hitting your roll numbers, that wave should look good

Even where your wife is sitting isn’t helping bring the bow down.

larry_arizona
04-19-2021, 12:40 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210419/301cd8474e9dcecf6b52454c509372b5.jpg
Leverage makes a big difference, even with the wake 9 video where they add 500# lead to bow, there is a guy sitting on the bow filler seat.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210419/d0a38d24de34c454b36f393fd81e9202.jpg

UNSTUCK
04-19-2021, 12:44 PM
That's not the wave I would have expected from being so bow high. I expected a very short, steeper wave with a curl. Usually this is the case with low bow weight so the fix is to add bow weight and/or increase your speed.

Have you physically checked the rear bags to make sure they are 100% full? Seems to me the rear of the boat isn't sunk enough. Adding bow weight to that 26% plate wave will likely flatten it out even more. Not what you want. Timers should be adjusted so they just start to puke water out the vents before they shut off. You may also want to verify that your pitch reading is 0* in calm water just floating. Maybe you're not as bow high as you think you are.

TXSurf4
04-19-2021, 01:56 PM
I agree with Unstuck....Check the accuracy of your inclinometer first and make sure it is good. The next thing I would do is fill everything 100% and then physically verify that everything is full and has no trapped air. Then you can use your lead to get your pitch # correct. Once you achieve your Pitch and Roll I believe you will still need to add more weight. DISPLACEMENT is what you will need to achieve a wave like Wake 9s. In their video they have 5 adults in the boat in addition to the lead.

larry_arizona
04-19-2021, 03:07 PM
I agree with Unstuck....Check the accuracy of your inclinometer first and make sure it is good. The next thing I would do is fill everything 100% and then physically verify that everything is full and has no trapped air. Then you can use your lead to get your pitch # correct. Once you achieve your Pitch and Roll I believe you will still need to add more weight. DISPLACEMENT is what you will need to achieve a wave like Wake 9s. In their video they have 5 adults in the boat in addition to the lead.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210419/3caa9082ddb4ed59ac16a504d06f574b.jpg

htfit
04-19-2021, 03:32 PM
Just skimming through I didnt see it mentioned but my wake looks like that if the side surf tab is set too low. Definetely move center smart plate between 0 to 25 but also make sure your surf tab is the highest up possible that gives you the wake you want. With the surf tab too far down there won't be any lip or push. At least that is the experience I have had with my boat. Start at like 60 which it may look really washy and then got to 65 then 70 and all the way until you get a nice lip.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

matty10
04-19-2021, 03:52 PM
Just skimming through I didnt see it mentioned but my wake looks like that if the side surf tab is set too low. Definetely move center smart plate between 0 to 25 but also make sure your surf tab is the highest up possible that gives you the wake you want. With the surf tab too far down there won't be any lip or push. At least that is the experience I have had with my boat. Start at like 60 which it may look really washy and then got to 65 then 70 and all the way until you get a nice lip.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

ok I can try that I just left it a the default 65

rhouse181
04-19-2021, 05:00 PM
Are you relying on the boat inclinometer or a phone app?

Download the clinometer app and verify that your in-boat readings are correct. You will be chasing ghosts without verifying first... my boat was horribly inaccurate from the factory.

As everyone said, way too much center plate. Start at 25% which is the stock setting and then give that a ride. I wouldn't expect you would need to add more plate with the additional 500lbs sitting up front.

Riddler
04-19-2021, 06:37 PM
I was wondering the same about the Autowake calibration.

One of the reasons I don't have my boat yet, was that the dealer said they wanted to hang onto it until they could "lake test" it to calibrate the timers for the ballast bags/pumps and the Autowake settings.

Maybe, your dealer didn't set it up correctly???

2in2out
04-19-2021, 08:43 PM
As others said, check the boat settings against the Clinometer app, which might show you have improper zero settings, then recalibrate as necessary.

Experience from my last boat also told me that if your fulcrum point is too far forward, you can’t put enough weight in the bow to change pitch significantly.

What I mean by this is that if the rear bags are full enough, the pitch won’t change much, just the amplitude. Autowake needs capacity to adjust ballast, hence the reason for lead.

I would move your PnP bag to the center of the cabin near the natural CG at zero ballast. Then fill to 100% amplitude checking to make sure all air is purged from all bags. Then try adjusting rear and front ballast to achieve optimum pitch and play with the numbers. Once you achieve good pitch then adjust for roll, and smart plate.

Don’t forget the roll speed plays. Your initial posts you said your speed was 10.5-12. Try using the speed a little and fight the urge to at smart plate when you want to lengthen the wave.

matty10
04-19-2021, 09:58 PM
The boat just got there when I bought it. They didn’t even get to water test it they said. They have it now because I keep getting a high voltage code and ugo pump slow codes. So I was going to get them to check it all out

Tommy2slow
04-19-2021, 11:58 PM
Hi Matt. There is a lot of really good advice on this thread. Weight, properly placed will turn your boat into a surf beast. But keep in mind that the members on this forum that have a great wave didn’t have that wave out of the box. Lots of experimentation and following the good advice of the good folks on here got them there. Also, most people aren’t riding wireless right away or for very long if they are new to surfing. It does take a while to develop the skill and subtle nuances required to stay on the wave. Take a deep breath, relax and just have fun out there. Every time you get out on the boat is infinitely better than your best day at work. Have fun and learn a little bit bit every time you get on your wakesurfer and you’ll be riding wireless before you know it. Cheers

Ralphy
04-20-2021, 12:29 AM
Hope you get it all sorted out soon.... we will be picking up our Mondo at the end of the month. I ordered 900 pounds of lead but so far only got 250. Anyway, I'm curious about how it turns out for you and will post feedback too.

Riddler
04-27-2021, 02:50 PM
Matty,

Any update on this?

Curious to find out if there were any set up issues.

Ralphy
05-02-2021, 10:33 PM
Just a pic from today of the wave on our Mondo for reference. 300 #s in the bow and 5 people in the boat.

matty10
05-02-2021, 10:51 PM
https://vimeo.com/544402998
Got setup just like that, 300 lb lead in the bow and just got some people to come. The key for us was to drop the speed to 9.9

Ralphy
05-02-2021, 11:02 PM
Glad you worked it out. Our speed was 11.2. Just an observation, when we went to the shallow part if the lake (15-20ft), the wave was 1/2 the size.

matty10
05-02-2021, 11:33 PM
That why they said to go slower. We took it to the dealer and he said we were going to fast and to try it slower and it worked so at least I can ride now we will bump it up and try different things from here.

Riddler
05-03-2021, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the update!

Great you got it sorted out.

Ice is off now, and should pick up our boat this week.

Went by our lake on Saturday to check on the ice situation, and a local dealer was delivering a G23. They said the water temp was 5C (42F for our American friends) - ouch!