PDA

View Full Version : Best Anchor

clzipper
04-03-2021, 11:44 AM
Hello Moomba Owners! Moving from the Tahoe 2150 to a 2021 Moomba Makai! I have about 15 days until delivery and so I’m getting ready. When we aren’t towing a rider we anchor up and let the kids play on the Lilly pad. The 2150 had an anchor well for a fluke style. The Makai doesn’t have an anchor well so I’ve been looking at the grapple style since they fold up and pack away in a bag, but they all seem small. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
04-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Get a box anchor. They fold flat so storage is minimal and they have teeth on both sides so it's very easy to catch hold on the vast majority of surfaces.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

clzipper
04-03-2021, 12:11 PM
The box anchor does look like a good fit! The Makai is 24’ what # box anchor are you using?

RC_Hinojosa
04-03-2021, 12:17 PM
Small box anchors will hold a 26-27ft boat if I'm not mistaken.

Every owner I know runs a small box fore and a shore spike or something similar aft, if the conditions warrant.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

Turbinesurgeon
04-03-2021, 01:10 PM
Box anchor is the best

brad460
04-03-2021, 02:05 PM
Watch some comparisons videos of the box anchor..

I’d go with a Danforth style.

They are a little clunky to handle, but hold the best.

haknslash
04-03-2021, 04:23 PM
+1 for the slide box anchor. You only need the small size for these boats. Holds my Max like a champ! Of course the types of bottom of lakes you boat in may prefer one style over the other but for our clay and even rocky pebble bottoms it holds great. The best thing about it other than it’s performance is that it folds away and can be stowed anywhere. I usually keep mine in the engine tray storage. I had Danforth style on my last boat and it takes much more scope to get it to bite and hold. You also have to “back down” the boat to set those kind of anchors. With the box you literally toss it out and it’s set.

csm
04-04-2021, 10:28 AM
And only 2:1 rope length to water depth ratio with no chain needed. Box anchor is the way to go IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

clzipper
04-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Thanks, I went with the box anchor. It’ll prob perform best on the lakes we visit most. I have sand sharks for some of the places we go when we pull up to some of the shallows. Now just playing the waiting game until they finish building our Makai!!

HFarr
04-04-2021, 10:54 AM
What lake are you on?

clzipper
04-04-2021, 11:26 AM
Lake house is next... Right now we visit, Canyon Lake, Cedar Creek and Ouachita the most

Guppydriver
04-04-2021, 02:14 PM
Good choice with the box anchor

Make sure you post pics of that Makai when she come in!!

clzipper
04-04-2021, 02:35 PM
I’m just trying to figure out the site... I uploaded the screen shots from the build when it was ordered but seems like only I can see them. 29530

TXSurf4
04-04-2021, 03:31 PM
Sweet color set up on the boat!! Box Anchor FTW!! I went with a large with the Makai but small should do just fine [emoji1360]

Tommy2slow
04-04-2021, 09:17 PM
Team Box Anchor for me too. Checked out the slide anchor site yesterday. I’m a believer!

rdlangston13
04-04-2021, 09:34 PM
Lake house is next... Right now we visit, Canyon Lake, Cedar Creek and Ouachita the most

Do you ever try out DeGray? We go to hot springs every summer and did Ouachita a few years ago and it was miserable. We spent a week on DeGray about 4 years ago and I think we are going to go back this summer. Was way calmer.

clzipper
04-04-2021, 09:43 PM
We have been to DeGray as well. Usually later in the summer. When did you go to Ouachita and find it packed?

rdlangston13
04-05-2021, 02:22 PM
We have been to DeGray as well. Usually later in the summer. When did you go to Ouachita and find it packed?

When we went to Ouachita it wasnt so much packed as it was just windy. We launched at Mountain Harbor and drove to Hotel Island and just got the crap beat out of us the whole way. When we tried to pull into some coves for riding all we could see were just stumps galore.

When we went to Degray and I don't really recall ever seeing a stump anywhere we went and it was not crowded at all. We stayed with a group who rented out the oak bower recreation area so we had the whole place to ourselves. Only down side was there is not dock so we had to anchor the boats out every night but it was a blast.

clzipper
04-05-2021, 02:32 PM
We’ve gone to Ouachita as a family for the last two years. Hotel Island being windy is no surprise, it’s in the dead middle of the lake. Due south of it there are shallows and some small islands that can go under in higher water but all around it is deep deep water, over 100ft. When I lived up there I dove and spear fished a lot of that area. We are going back to DeGray in August, which will be the first time in a couple years, so we will have to see what’s it’s like. I remember a really big sand bar area and that’s why we are going there. Kids love playing on the sand bars