PDA

View Full Version : Switch from fuel injection to carburetor

Mike1970
03-29-2021, 06:46 PM
I have a 2000 Mobius V with a Inmar assault 350 MPI. I was wondering if anyone here has switched from fuel injection to a carburetor. Switching the intake and adding a carb would be easy, but my concern is the distributor, can I replace the old one with an HEI or is the bottom gear on the crank different?

UNSTUCK
03-30-2021, 08:49 AM
Not trying to be rude or anything, but why would you want to? There is no positive with going backwards to a carb. Fuel usage will probably double and reliability cut in half. What happened to your fuel injection making you want to get rid of it?

Anyways, to answer your question... I think so, but am not positive. I'd head over to your local parts house and check a few different HEI distributors. If they all have the same gear, buy the one with the wiring connection you want and then take it home. Pull out your current distributor and compare the gear to the one you just bought.

bergermaister
03-30-2021, 01:20 PM
Why on God's green earth would you want to go that route? I can't imagine you have a multi-port fuel injection setup unless someone has already changed it.

Mine is a TBI and has ran flawlessly for years. The distributor will work with either one - it doesn't care if it's carb or FI.

parrothd
03-30-2021, 04:24 PM
Why on God's green earth would you want to go that route? I can't imagine you have a multi-port fuel injection setup unless someone has already changed it.

Mine is a TBI and has ran flawlessly for years. The distributor will work with either one - it doesn't care if it's carb or FI.

Computer goes bad, no replacements available..

UNSTUCK
03-30-2021, 10:48 PM
There’s lots of aftermarket controllers to run fuel injection if it goes bad.

zabooda
03-30-2021, 11:00 PM
Finding a fuel injection in a 2000 model is a rare find. SC was one of the last manufacturers to jump to FI. For that matter, all of the boat manufacturers were slow to go in that direction and I think there were concerns on fuel quality with water and contaminate issues. Boaters were hesitant in going that direction because of cost and reliability concerns. A friend had a 1998 FI Prostar that was really nice not having the choke and spewing unburned gas at startup.

I would recommend finding the parts to make the FI work.

SONIC
03-31-2021, 10:22 AM
Agreed on keeping the EFI.

My last Tige was carbed when I bought it and I converted over to Holley Sniper EFI which is another option if you want a TBI setup.
Simple install just replaces the carburetor and it's self tuning so you really just install it and go boating.

Mike1970
03-31-2021, 04:28 PM
How did you tap the exhaust for the co2 sensor?

Mike1970
03-31-2021, 05:14 PM
My concern with the distributor that is in my boat now would be controlled by the computer that would control spark and timing. So I felt if you were to go with a carb setup you would have to go with a distributor that has a vacuum advance.

SONIC
03-31-2021, 07:44 PM
How did you tap the exhaust for the co2 sensor?

They make adapters that put the o2 sensor in the exhaust riser.
I made my own but they are cheap.

SONIC
03-31-2021, 07:44 PM
My concern with the distributor that is in my boat now would be controlled by the computer that would control spark and timing. So I felt if you were to go with a carb setup you would have to go with a distributor that has a vacuum advance.

There's no vacuum advance for marine engines, just the advance weights.

jestes
09-01-2021, 01:36 AM
It is possible. I have an '04 Mobius LSV that has TBI rest results in the paperwork I got, but the boat has a carb on it now. I'll probably do a MicroSquirt conversion on it at some point, but it runs fine for now.