PDA

View Full Version : Trailering a '16 Helix (first timer)

M4Surf
03-14-2021, 05:56 PM
I'm getting ready to pick up in a few weeks a (new to me) '16 Helix (will be trailer from Boise to my home in Denver). I've spent the winter season stocking up on boat supplies (as this is my first boat), but I have one question - regarding the trailer to truck wiring connection: my truck has both the 7-blade and 4-flat connector. Do I need any additional wiring adaptor to connect the trailer wiring to my truck?

P.S - I've really enjoyed reading through all the great threads in this forum over the winter - can't wait for tow season!

Thanks,
M4Surf

'16 Helix

Guppydriver
03-14-2021, 06:14 PM
Congrats on the boat!

You won't need anything additional as far as wiring goes.

I'm sure you have read on previous trailering threads all the advice with regards to long distance towing. I'd recommend picking up some saran wrap from costco and wrapping your boat up under the cover to protect from fabric/gel coat rub. Of course, I'm assuming the boat isn't shrink wrapped already for winter. If ypu have some rock tamers you borrow, all the better as well!! I'm sure others will offer much better advice.

I'm looking forward to pics in a few weeks!!

M4Surf
03-14-2021, 06:50 PM
Congrats on the boat!

You won't need anything additional as far as wiring goes.

I'm sure you have read on previous trailering threads all the advice with regards to long distance towing. I'd recommend picking up some saran wrap from costco and wrapping your boat up under the cover to protect from fabric/gel coat rub. Of course, I'm assuming the boat isn't shrink wrapped already for winter. If ypu have some rock tamers you borrow, all the better as well!! I'm sure others will offer much better advice.

I'm looking forward to pics in a few weeks!!

Thanks for the info. Yeah - after reading through the other recent trailering thread and looking at my hitch spec on my 2017 F-150, I just placed an order for the "Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class IV - 2" - C14017" to replace the stock FoMoCo stock 500# max tongue wt hitch. And had already bought rock tamers. Also, accumulated this list of items for my "trailering supplies" travel kit:

o Hitch
o Hitch Pin with Lock
o Spare hitch pin
o Hitch lock
o Tire gauge
o Portable Tire pump
o Wheel chalks
o Trailer-Aid tire changing ramp
o Rock Tamer
o Lug nut wrench
o Adjustable wrench
o Wood blocks
o Small sledgehammer
o Duct tape
o Zip ties
o Tarp
o Towel
o Flashlight
o IR temperature gauge
o 20” plastic wrap (Home Depot)

sandm
03-14-2021, 07:21 PM
I would recommend checking with the owner or dealership and confirm what plug is on the trailer. 4flat, 5flat or 7 round. if it's 5flat you will need a conversion plug. they are available at any parts store. we had to use one with several boats we have had in the past.