PDA

View Full Version : Who has done fake a lake to check ballast pumps?

rockymtnsurfer
03-12-2021, 09:19 AM
I have a trip coming up in April. I have put the boat back together from winter storage. I have no problem setting up my fake a lake for the engine to test it, but I would like to test the water pull and fill and drain on the ballast bags before I go. The one concern I have with my plunger fake a lake is that the pressure of the hose (even if on slightly) might not really tell me if its pulling the water well. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought I would see if anyone else has done a home test prior to a trip or beginning of the season. Thanks

RC_Hinojosa
03-12-2021, 09:28 AM
If they are running slow it's probably time to swap ballast pump impellers

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
03-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Never tried the plunger method. I usually take mine to boat ramp, back it down while leaving it on the trailer. Probably a little hard to do that in CO right now.

I agree with RC, if they started to run slow last year or you have 2 seasons on them with a lot of ballast activity, I would swap them out. They are easy to find on Amazon or Wakemakers or other sites. Then you are good for another 2.

rockymtnsurfer
03-12-2021, 10:13 AM
Never tried the plunger method. I usually take mine to boat ramp, back it down while leaving it on the trailer. Probably a little hard to do that in CO right now.

I agree with RC, if they started to run slow last year or you have 2 seasons on them with a lot of ballast activity, I would swap them out. They are easy to find on Amazon or Wakemakers or other sites. Then you are good for another 2.

I havn't tried them yet, and they worked fine in the fall, and the impellers are new from the fall. As always, my concern is running anything 13hrs away from home for the first time of the year on my kids spring break. Just trying to test everything before we leave. And yes:) ice is here until June

rockymtnsurfer
03-12-2021, 10:14 AM

I havn't tried them yet, and they worked fine in the fall, and the impellers are new from the fall. As always, my concern is running anything 13hrs away from home for the first time of the year on my kids spring break. Just trying to test everything before we leave. And yes:) ice is here until June

rockymtnsurfer
03-12-2021, 10:20 AM
If they are running slow, it's probably time to swap ballast pump impellers

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk My concern is that when you use the plunger system, the pressure from the hose does not truly tell you if the pumps are working well, or how they are supposed to be. I have had completely bad pumps on our Nautique work fine with the fake a lake plunger system. This is the only system I can use in my shop at this time of year.....unless someone else has a better solution.

TXSurf4
03-12-2021, 10:59 AM
As you stated, your concern about the hose pressure disguising a bad pump is true. It happens on outboards as well when people use "ear muffs" to test. Probably the reason most dealers use test tanks. With no access to unfrozen water your best bet might be to use the fake lake fill them and then just see how well they do at draining the bags. Other than that it is probably best to just buy some spare impellers and keep them in the boat with you, I always have a set of spares on hand just incase. When you get to your destination back the boat down, leave it on the trailer and test them there. If you have to replace any just pull the boat back out and swap.

As a side note does your dealer not have a test tank you can use? I would imagine in cold weather climates that shops would still have to have a way to test boats after repairs and for delivery preps.

rockymtnsurfer
03-12-2021, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=TXSurf4;365375]As you stated, your concern about the hose pressure disguising a bad pump is true. It happens on outboards as well when people use "ear muffs" to test. Probably the reason most dealers use test tanks. With no access to unfrozen water your best bet might be to use the fake lake fill them and then just see how well they do at draining the bags. Other than that it is probably best to just buy some spare impellers and keep them in the boat with you, I always have a set of spares on hand just in case. When you get to your destination back the boat down, leave it on the trailer and test them there. If you have to replace any just pull the boat back out and swap.

Thank you for the great suggestions and comments. I will probably end up with the plan you are describing. Dealerships do have the set ups now for testing. Our nearest boat dealer is 4 hr away, and moomba/supra 5 1/2 hrs away. I think I will probably end up going for it with extra impellers.And fill them now and test the draining. Thank you for your input.

TXSurf4
03-12-2021, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=TXSurf4;365375]As you stated, your concern about the hose pressure disguising a bad pump is true. It happens on outboards as well when people use "ear muffs" to test. Probably the reason most dealers use test tanks. With no access to unfrozen water your best bet might be to use the fake lake fill them and then just see how well they do at draining the bags. Other than that it is probably best to just buy some spare impellers and keep them in the boat with you, I always have a set of spares on hand just in case. When you get to your destination back the boat down, leave it on the trailer and test them there. If you have to replace any just pull the boat back out and swap.

Thank you for the great suggestions and comments. I will probably end up with the plan you are describing. Dealerships do have the set ups now for testing. Our nearest boat dealer is 4 hr away, and moomba/supra 5 1/2 hrs away. I think I will probably end up going for it with extra impellers.And fill them now and test the draining. Thank you for your input.

Ya 5.5 hrs is a haul to do some testing lol. Testing it that way will at least cycle everything and give you a decent idea of where you stand. Carrying extras is just cheap insurance. FWIW I always have a spare water pump impeller kit as well.

rockymtnsurfer
03-12-2021, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=rockymtnsurfer;365390]

Ya 5.5 hrs is a haul to do some testing lol. Testing it that way will at least cycle everything and give you a decent idea of where you stand. Carrying extras is just cheap insurance. FWIW I always have a spare water pump impeller kit as well.

I like those ideas...and I do the same with raw impeller......thanks for the advice!