PDA

View Full Version : Our 2021 Mondo has arrived

Riddler
03-08-2021, 11:04 AM
We went down to check out the new boat on Saturday.

Now all we need is for the ice to come off the lakes

watsoc08
03-08-2021, 11:18 AM
Looks great, let us know how the maiden voyage goes!

Riddler
03-08-2021, 11:22 AM
People are still ice fishing here, so it could be a while, but Spring can't come soon enough now...

Wdavid
03-08-2021, 01:45 PM
Awesome. Congrats on the new ride.

brad460
03-08-2021, 02:19 PM
Great color choices! Looks awesome!

Riddler
03-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Thanks!

I am really pleased with how it turned out.

Tommy2slow
03-08-2021, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the family Riddler. Nice to have another Canadian here to lament about the long winters with. Great looking boat. I purchase my last two boats from Martin Motorsports in Kelowna.

Riddler
03-08-2021, 08:51 PM
Martin here in Edmonton have been great so far.

They told us Saturday they have sold their entire allotment of Towboats for 2021.

In terms of long winters - it’s snowing here right now!

Isaguel
03-08-2021, 09:26 PM

They told us Saturday they have sold their entire allotment of Towboats for 2021.

Congrats, great looking boat. 2 weeks ago a friend who lives on a small lake we boat on said they still had 24 inches of ice. Ouch. When it warms up though, its amazing how quick the ice melts. Post some updates on the first day out. Enjoy.

Tommy2slow
03-08-2021, 10:47 PM

It’s crazy, I know. I got a promotional email from them today about buying 2022 boats at 2021 prices!

W2w
03-08-2021, 10:56 PM
Thanks!

I am really pleased with how it turned out.

You should be it looks great, though have to admit i was disappointed that last pic was all wrapped up!

It’s crazy, I know. I got a promotional email from them today about buying 2022 boats at 2021 prices!

This is what I was thinking, what's the chance of getting one now? Relegated to 2022 already?!

Anyone know what, if any, might get updated in 22?

sandm
03-09-2021, 12:40 AM
good lookin boat.. congrats and enjoy... mondo's are a wakeboarding machine....

Riddler
03-09-2021, 10:30 AM
The picture of the boat all wrapped up was what the dealer sent me when it landed Thursday.

They cleaned it up a bit and we went down to check it out on Saturday.

Riddler
03-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Hey, the dealer is recommending Diamond Kote for the interior and exterior ($1,899), extended warranty ($2,999), and a GPS tracker in the event it is stolen ($699).

Is any of this worth it?

larry_arizona
03-09-2021, 06:50 PM
Hey, the dealer is recommending Diamond Kote for the interior and exterior ($1,899), extended warranty ($2,999), and a GPS tracker in the event it is stolen ($699).

Is any of this worth it?

Not familiar with diamond kote, but unless they are fully polishing your new boat prior to application I would pass. New gelcoat from
SC comes with lots of scratches from releasing the molds and manufacturing and handling.

You shouldn’t need an extended warranty with a 5 year SC factory warranty and you should get the 7 year Indmar powertrain warranty.

Lastly, if someone steals my boat, my insurance pays for new replacement so I don’t want a stolen boat back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riddler
03-10-2021, 11:21 AM
Thanks,

They did say they needed to clean and polish the boat prior to delivery. I just wasn't sure if most people get some sort of gelcoat and vinyl protectant applied. We don't get the same extreme sun conditions here, and the boat will be stored inside when not in use.

I am typically not an "add-on's" guy.

I agree with you on the stolen boat!!!

Guppydriver
03-10-2021, 09:47 PM

Is any of this worth it?

The dealer is recommending this because the dealer's wallet gets fatter by about $1000 for the Diamond Kote, $1500 for the extended warranty, and $500 for the GPS tracker.

The only way I would even consider an exterior gel/interior plan is if I stored my boat outdoors in the elements and I was offered it a hundred or so over cost.

Riddler
03-11-2021, 11:13 AM
I appreciate the dealer has a financial interest in selling these add-on's.

I am given to understand Diamond Kote is a ceramic coating.

It has been a few years since I owned a new boat and prices have increased substantially in that time.

Just trying to get a feel for what people are doing, and their experience in protecting these assets...

TXSurf4
03-11-2021, 11:45 AM
I did the "Diamond Kote" on mine but for my dealer it was called "Platinum Protection". It is probably a very similar product. I didn't pay a dime for it as I negotiated it with the boat after I was given and was happy with the price. I don't have anything to compare it against but I can say that everything cleans up really easily with all of my Hula products.

Guppydriver
03-11-2021, 03:08 PM
I appreciate the dealer has a financial interest in selling these add-on's.

I am given to understand Diamond Kote is a ceramic coating.

It has been a few years since I owned a new boat and prices have increased substantially in that time.

Just trying to get a feel for what people are doing, and their experience in protecting these assets...

Didn't mean to come across obtuse or condescending....

Peace of mind has value too.... seriously. If knowing you are layer protected mitigates anxiety and stress and allows you to have a more pleasant owner experience, then who cares what the perceived value is to others.

Like @TXsurf4 says though, I would anticipate that there is tremendous margin and room to negotiate with these products. The platinum protection is big in Utah with Centurion and Bu/Axis dealers, and there are some things I like about it. I believe it covers all rips or tears in the interior no questions asked. If you spent 10 seconds with my kids, you would understand why I also would consider it.

I like using these items as a way to close a deal pre agreement like @TXsurf4 , although let's be honest, nobody doesn't pay a dime for it...it's coming from somewhere.

TXSurf4
03-11-2021, 03:30 PM
Didn't mean to come across obtuse or condescending....

Peace of mind has value too.... seriously. If knowing you are layer protected mitigates anxiety and stress and allows you to have a more pleasant owner experience, then who cares what the perceived value is to others.

Like @TXsurf4 says though, I would anticipate that there is tremendous margin and room to negotiate with these products. The platinum protection is big in Utah with Centurion and Bu/Axis dealers, and there are some things I like about it. I believe it covers all rips or tears in the interior no questions asked. If you spent 10 seconds with my kids, you would understand why I also would consider it.

I like using these items as a way to close a deal pre agreement like @TXsurf4 , although let's be honest, nobody doesn't pay a dime for it...it's coming from somewhere.

Completely agreed! The kids are the main reason I got it and you are correct about rips, tears and burns on the interior.

Ya I just used it to close the deal. Went back and forth on price and extras got the deal that we were happy with and I called and told them we would come sing on the deal and put our deposit down for the build slot that day if the threw the Platinum Protection in for $0 and that was it. I am sure they made plenty of margin on the deal and them throwing it in and just losing their cost on it is minimal.

Guppydriver
03-11-2021, 06:15 PM
Completely agreed! The kids are the main reason I got it and you are correct about rips, tears and burns on the interior.

Ya I just used it to close the deal. Went back and forth on price and extras got the deal that we were happy with and I called and told them we would come sing on the deal and put our deposit down for the build slot that day if the threw the Platinum Protection in for $0 and that was it. I am sure they made plenty of margin on the deal and them throwing it in and just losing their cost on it is minimal.

That’s how it’s done! Coffee is for closers!

Chuds
03-11-2021, 10:59 PM
We bought our Mondo from the same dealer (I will post some pics) but their store in Calgary and had the same choices to make. We chose no on the GPS for tow reasons, one the discount on my insurance was not big enough to justify the ROI from a pure insurance price reduction which leads to number 2 reason like previously said not really sure we want our boat back after it is stolen (I want my boat but not after it has been stolen to be clear) and really it doesn't prevent it from being stolen. As for diamond coat we chose to pass as it isn't really the same as ceramic coating from my experience as I have spent the money on it for two RV's, it is just a UV and fading protector which shouldn't cost that much IMO. Also the warranty on the rips, burns and tears is not really that great, not bad mind you but not likely what you would expect and the clauses to deny like dyes which is probably the most likely such as denim bleeding on the vinyl. All that being said it is a personal choice and I have justified it in the past on RV's so I get buying it and we really thought hard about it but decided no this time. Here is the list of included and excluded from their website:

Covered:

The interior fabric, leather or vinyl on the seating surfaces if they become ripped, torn or burned accidentally. Repair all covered vehicle seat materials to a maximum of $300 per occurrence.
Burns not caused by fire are burns that are caused by a heat source that does not have an open flame. An example of a burn not caused by fire is a cigarette, an iron, hair curlers, space heater, etc. What is NOT covered would be examples like a lighter, a candle, a house fire.

Not Covered:

Interior headliners, fabric floor mats, trunk liners, carpet, or any other leather/fabric/or vinyl upholstered surface.
Damage caused by acids, dyes, bleaches or corrosives.
Damage caused by fire, smoke, flood or other natural disaster, theft or vandalism.
Burns caused by a heat source that does not have an open flame is covered up to $300.00 (I.E cigarette, iron, hair curlers, space heater, etc). Burns that are the result of open fire source (a lighter, a candle, a house fire) directly or indirectly are not covered and should be handled through primary insurance provider.

Chuds
03-11-2021, 11:02 PM
Oh and congrats Riddler that is a nice looking boat and good looking trailer! Very jealous!

Chuds
03-11-2021, 11:12 PM
Here is our boat, can't wait for the summer! Oh and one of the tower speakers came with a seized bolt so they have another on order. A few things I noticed that were not clear on the website, dual fuel fills, phone chargers two usb on one cubby and 12v in the other in the main areas drink/phone/speaker cubbies which is really nice as I am not thinking the dash ones are going to be ideal on a bright sunny day unless you cover with a hat or something. Bow storage locker was larger than I expected. Seriously can't wait for summer!

sandm
03-11-2021, 11:20 PM
Repair all covered vehicle seat materials to a maximum of $300 per occurrence.

one skin on one side of a sundeck will be more than that after buying and installing. if there's a deductible that would be a VERY tough sell.

I guess the one positive to it: if you are doing your laundry/ironing or the other half is doing up her hair on the boat you're covered :)

Riddler
03-12-2021, 11:43 AM
Nice looking boat as well.

Ya, it was tough not being able to see a Mondo before committing and ordering.

We will be towing our boat everywhere, and likely into BC as well, so I chose to err on the side of too much trailer...

I am really pleased with it. The quality of materials, fit and finish are great for an "entry level" boat.

We also can't wait for summer.

Chuds
03-12-2021, 09:31 PM
Thank you!

It really was but we had looked at the old gen Mondo and almost bought one last year so we figured it would not be any worse than the old model which we almost bought so fingers crossed and were really happily surprised when it showed up.

That is a great call, we are not planning on towing very far so hopefully I don't regret the single axel but I don't think there is such a think as too much trailer and I really like the light graphite color.

Man this boat is so much nicer quality wise than my previous boat it is not even funny and I am with you it definitely feel great for an "entry level" boat.

Hopefully we will be posting pictures of the wave soon enough, it is great to have another Mondo owner and someone to discuss settings etc. with not to mention another Albertan.

Riddler
03-13-2021, 12:16 AM
I wasn't really sure about the light graphite, but it turned out well.

In terms of too much trailer, I went with the electric over hydraulic brakes as well. BC requires them over 6000#'s, and in the end it is just safer.

IMO it just looks cooler too...

Where will you be at primarily - Chestermere?

Chuds
03-13-2021, 10:53 PM
Oh for sure it will make towing in BC way nicer and safer, and easier heading down hills. Having it look good too is a nice bonus :cool:

We are lucky enough to have a cabin in BC so it will live out there with 3 options within 20 minutes or less but will spend a lot of time on Koocanusa but Martin does their handover at Chestermere so we will spend 1 day there but it is a zoo in the summer and costly having to pay to launch. I will probably bring it home for a family gathering at Newell in the summer but maybe I can get the location changed lol

How about you, do you have a lake you frequent? I would probably tow the boat back and forth more if I had as many options as close to the city as you do up North.

Tommy2slow
03-14-2021, 02:02 AM
Where is the BC cabin? I live on a lake near Prince George. I grew up on Shuswap lake near Salmon Arm. The area fills up with Calgarians in the summer to point that the locals wonder if they turned lights out on the city because they’re all there! ��

Riddler
03-14-2021, 09:27 AM
We arranged a seasonal site at Wizard Lake for this summer as we weren't sure what things would look like COVIDwise.

We have friends and family with places at Sylvan, and Wabamun, and then several friends with places in Kelowna and Penticton.

Tommy2slow
03-14-2021, 12:32 PM
You will have no shortage of invites with a brand new wake boat in tow. A work of advice, if you are planning to stay at a friends cabin that you haven’t visited before ask lots of questions about the dock/mooring arrangements. Before we purchased our lake home we did the same as you, visiting and staying with friends/relatives. Many times we were told that the dock was great only to find a tiny waterlogged raft barely suitable to tie a kayak too. Another had a decent dock but a large Boulder was lurking a few feet below the surface that claimed my prop. Most people have 18’ run-a-bouts and don’t realize how big our boats actually are.

Sounds like you have a lot of traveling planned. There are about a million threads on here about towing so I hope this doesn’t derail this one down that rabbit hole but what do you have as a tow vehicle? I have a 2020 Mojo and with no lead, my 2013 F150 with the EB pulls like a champ!

Riddler
03-14-2021, 03:22 PM
I have 2016 Yukon Denali, but I am looking at getting something new, maybe a new Duramax

Chuds
03-14-2021, 04:34 PM
Hahahaha yeah Calgary does take over the Shuswap in the summer. We are between Fernie and Cranbrook so similar in Calgary take over in the summer but thankfully there are a few options to boat on and Koocanusa is a good size gets busy but not insane, definitely not like Windermere/Invermere.

Chuds
03-14-2021, 04:46 PM
Great idea with the seasonal site as it is looking like another crazy COVID summer so guaranteed spot will be great and I hear that Wizard is a nice lake. Trips out to Penticton and Kelowna would be a dream with that trailer especially if you get a Duramax.

Oldernotwiser
03-14-2021, 05:45 PM
Sharp looking boat. Congrats. Chuds, you as well. Love what they did with the mondo.

Waddle
04-04-2021, 01:04 PM
Hey Chuds and Riddler,

I am brand new to the site - Alberta Guy - and potential Martin Motor Sports purchaser as well (Edmonton) - we have a build spot held for August - now just have to sign on the dotted line.

Chuds - we spend most of our time in the Fernie/Cranbrook area as well - Koocanusa might be our favourite spot.

My house and extended family members are in a heating debate over a used Moomba Monda (2016 Range) - post warranty vs. going ahead with the custom build.

One of the main issues I am coming across right now is Storage - our ideal situation would be to have the boat stored indoors, 8 Ft garage door. During my elementary research, it sounds like the A3 tower does not fold enough (102-105 inches) versus the upgraded Pro tower will sneak in.

What kind of towers do you guys have? I can't seem to find any 2021 User Manuals online to find the manufacturers specifications.

Sorry for the long message.

Happy Easter!

Riddler
04-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Hey Chuds and Riddler,

I am brand new to the site - Alberta Guy - and potential Martin Motor Sports purchaser as well (Edmonton) - we have a build spot held for August - now just have to sign on the dotted line.

Chuds - we spend most of our time in the Fernie/Cranbrook area as well - Koocanusa might be our favourite spot.

My house and extended family members are in a heating debate over a used Moomba Monda (2016 Range) - post warranty vs. going ahead with the custom build.

One of the main issues I am coming across right now is Storage - our ideal situation would be to have the boat stored indoors, 8 Ft garage door. During my elementary research, it sounds like the A3 tower does not fold enough (102-105 inches) versus the upgraded Pro tower will sneak in.

What kind of towers do you guys have? I can't seem to find any 2021 User Manuals online to find the manufacturers specifications.

Sorry for the long message.

Happy Easter!

Hey Waddle,

Welcome!

I have the A3 tower with the appearance upgrade.

My understanding is that the A3 will not fit in an 8' door, but the Pro Tower will. That wasn't issue for me.

Martin in Edmonton have been great to deal with so far. No complaints. I dealt primarily with Josh, but ultimately ended up negotiating the final aspects of the deal with Cole, as Josh wasn't "authorized" to do anything more...

My Mondo is still there waiting to be lake tested. I know they have shown it to a few others.

sandm
04-04-2021, 07:45 PM
I spent a lot of time researching towers to fit out 8ft garage. called the factory and was lucky enough to speak to drew tinker. he stated that a3 won't fit under 8ft door and my perception based on his conversation was this was a true statement no matter the boat. pro tower would with a few inches to spare. this was on a 2021 kaiyen but would guess that most of the boats sans the new mojo are similar in height.

Chuds
04-04-2021, 09:47 PM
Welcome Waddle!

We also have the standard A3 tower as my garage is under 8' so we weren't going to make it no matter what tower we chose so saving the cash makes sense for me however like the others have stated my understanding is that the pro tower will fit in an 8' garage door.

As for Martin we enjoyed our experience however I can say it was really the salesman we dealt with that made it enjoyable (we spent 3 years working with him before finally ordering this last year).

Koocanusa will likely be where we spend most of our time for sure.

As for tower height I am not sure how tall the tallest point is on the trailer unfortunately but certainly can measure when we pick it up in a few weeks.

We can totally understand your debate as we were looking at used Mondo's and Helix's like mad however didn't find anything that we were really into, we were always buying someone elses choices and colors and paying for things we wouldn't choose or missing things we would have liked. For us going new meant that we got everything we wanted and nothing more and if you are buying today I would order all day as you are paying a premium for used boats these days and if you are going to spend good money you might as well get what you want. The icing on the cake is that the new design is much more appealing for us, wider beam, 3700lbs of stock ballast, 7 inch touch screen and upgraded creature comforts (walk trough, pop up ski pylon etc) I can say we are happy going new vs used when comparing now.

Riddler
04-05-2021, 09:39 AM
I agree with the whole new vs used logic 100%.

Another thought is that ordering now, you still get 2021 pricing, as there will likely be an increase for 2022.

Also, the exchange rate is 10% better than when I did my deal.

Chuds
04-05-2021, 02:46 PM
Riddler, another great point on the price increase as there will be one for sure as every year there is one and likely no real changes since it is so new (maybe minor tweaks) it would make sense to jump on it now especially with the strength of our dollar compared to when you and I would have purchased.

Waddle, one other thing to consider as I get the impression that you are hung up on garage storage is how you are going to store it a couple things to consider if you are using the same garage you park in and that garage is heated I have been told that it is hard on the gel coat to have it parked in warmth and then expose it to frigid temps when you are driving in an out and depending on what style of heater you use can also be hard on the boat (infrared style heaters are hard on finishes). What I am getting at is that I would not let garage storage deter you from purchasing vs say shrink wrap and outside storage or getting a shelter to cover it with in the winter. Now if you cannot find somewhere to park it period well that is another issue all together.

Waddle
04-05-2021, 10:07 PM
Hey Guys,

The feedback has been fantastic and very appreciated!

Overall, I would say we were quite disappointed to learn from the dealer that they suggest a max height with folded A3 tower at 98" - can you just let the air out of the trailer tires? Ha - We even have an air compressor right in the garage - - desperate times = desperate measures!

And thanks for the tip on the garage heater/garage door opening Chuds - we will definitely look into that. Regarding shrink wrapping - is that something you can do yourself as well - or do you have to bring it in to the dealer/shop? $4K+ difference between A3 and Pro Tower equals a couple shrink wraps! Especially if all you want the Pro Tower for is to sit in your garag.

I understand this is a very personal question - but what did you guys go with for upgrades? We are very new to the surfing world - and don't require all the fancy features - looking to build more of an economical - high value/experience upgrades.

For example

Surfing Upgrades

- Cruise Control?
- 7" Display - allows for the Go Home feature?
- Depth Finder?
- G6 Ballasts?

Boat/Experience Upgrades

- Tower Speakers vs. wiring/self purchase speakers?
- Mirror and Bracket?
- Bimini?
- Flooring Upgrade?

Thanks again for all the help - I hope all of your Easter's were relaxing and full of mini eggs!

sandm
04-05-2021, 10:22 PM
we were told kaiyen was not even close with 8ft door so I would bet mondo is the same. for us here in the desert leaving boat outside is not an option. personally I'd pay for the pro tower to keep indoors but I see a ton of boats everywhere we have lived that reside under covers outside so again probably a decision that you will need to make.

for the rest of the list:
cruise? YES. marriage saver and if you ever expect a decent pull YES...
7" display for resale. yes
depth finder. on lake mead yes. on our home lakes in idaho, not needed as we knew the lake well.
g6. yes.
tower speakers. we have not ever purchased on boat new. get tower wired and buy your own. it's not hard to install.
mirror. never used one. observers are mandatory here. when we lived in wisconsin they passed a law that 2 in the boat with a mirror so we would have bought one.
bimini. here it's a MUST in the desert.. in wisconsin I never used it. lived in the garage. my perception is in alberta I would not check the box. will affect resale to some degree later tho.
flooring upgrade. first 3 boats were carpet. current is gator(or one of the knockoffs). I preferred carpet but that's again all personal preference like most of the list.

good luck.....

Chuds
04-05-2021, 11:55 PM
Well I don't mind sharing the upgrades we went with and why:

- GPS Cruise, personal preference and possible resale premium/differentiator, however a lot of dealer stock that Martin orders (well when everyone is not using up all their slots) go with the standard paddle wheel and there is plenty of discussion on its value on here and you can go either way ang GPS was the way for us but certainly not a must if you are looking to save money
- Surf pipe, reviews are that it makes it quieter and the safety factor as we have a young kid and the boat is not massive so you are seated far back in the entire cockpit but again this has been debated and is certainly something you can not get however if you are on the fence factory is supposedly the way to go so might not be worth skimping on if you think you may want it someday. Side note they seem to be more standard on a lot of boats now days so again resale image might be helped here
- Audio - We went highest factory as we are not audiophiles and this will be more than ample for us. I would price out a package aftermarket and it really wasn't a spot that you saved much in money unless you go lower end however this might be another area you could save money I would think but then you are getting what you pay for I am sure
- Depth finder, a must in our opinion just not worth a prop strike because you are not paying attention and adding one later would be a challenge unless you go with an unsightly aftermarket option
- G6 ballast, yes faster fill times and more responsive Autowake
- 7" display, for ease of use and just a better experience but again is a place to save money, I am not sure that the go home feature is exclusive to the 7" display though
- Mirror, yes I like being able to see my rider and what's behind me when you are cruising incase a jetski comes flying up behind you etc.
- Did not get the transom remote, the head units come with a puck standard that you can place anywhere and the Mondo is not that big and we did not use our old one very much
- Bimini, yes when it is 30 on Kooc you will want one and the surf pockets are a better way to carry boards IMO
- Flooring, we went with the floor and deck kit as it saves the gel coat when stepping on the sides and more importantly is not slippery when standing on the sides while wet
- Adjustable seat base, so my wife and I can both get the right height while driving
- Heater - I am not going to explain that we live in Alberta
- Quick release for the board racks is a must for ease of use
- Walk thru screen - for the cool air cruises
- Dual battery - does anyone not do this?
- We went single axel trailer as we are not towing a ton, we went back and forth on this one but just felt that for the cost for how much we tow we decided to save the money but Riddler is going to tow lots and went with the dual and brake upgrade so it is all about how much you will tow I think and what you tow with
- Various trailer upgrades but these are personal choice
- Did not get the seat back for the bench because a lot of people on here suggest that you won't use it because it is a pain and blocks movement around the cockpit
- Did not get the sundeck filler, we spend most of our time parked in the water or in the bow if we want sun but rarely on the boat we like to just float in the water and a stack of towels to fill the gap would work in a pinch and what do you do with it when you are using the walkthrough

I think that is just about everything, we also chose not to go with metal flake paint which saves you money and was just not something we cared about but it does look nice though really nice.

Riddler
04-06-2021, 10:56 AM
Budget wasn't the primary concern for me, so my approach was one in which I took two things into consideration:

1. what I wanted
2. Resale (as the dealer told me that while I might think I wont be buying another boat for years, their experience tells them otherwise. And I think that sentiment holds true given what you see on this forum, and my discussions with friends and acquaintances who all seem to find reason/justification to "upgrade" to a new boat with some regularity.

So here is what I went with

- G6 Pumps - I think this is a must for both personal enjoyment and resale
- GPS Cruise - Chuds and Sandm covered this off
- I went with Metal Flake and upgraded Hull and Deck colors - I wanted something that stood out.
- Black Chrome logo
- Docking lights - resale primarily
- Gatorstep floor and Deck kit - Chuds covered this off
- 7" display - personal preference and resale
- Transom remote - didn't know about the puck when ordering
- Heater - as Chuds says - we live in Alberta!
- I did not order the mirror as I thought I wouldn't use it. The boat actually comes with a standard mirror (which I also did not know) the mirror on the build site is an upgraded mirror.
- Depth Finder - no brainer IMO
- A3 Tower appearance upgrade - personal preference mostly - it turned out really well, and has a backlit Moomba logo which looks quite cool. IMO the Pro tower didn't add anything I wanted/needed other than side tow points (which I hope to source aftermarket somewhere).
- Bimini - personal preference and resale - board storage and the fact I am a bit of a pasty white guy, so a little shade for long days at the helm will be welcome.
- Triton swivel board racks - personal preference and resale.
- Audio - we went with the top of the line factory offering
- Adjustable seat base - same reason as Chuds
- Removable seat back - wife and kids wanted it - it is quite slick and stores underneath the sliding seat! Time will tell how much we use it.
- Walk-thru screen - cold air cruises and for towing
- Full boat cover - no brainer
- Dual Battery - agree with Chuds
- Side Storage bins - personal preference and resale

Trailer -as Chuds said - we are going to be towing a lot, so I went with the tandem, electric/hydraulic brakes and 18" wheels with spare (personal preference mostly, but also because of the torsion upgrade) - not going to hurt resale either.
- Swing away tongue - for storage and resale.
- Transom steps - personal preference and resale
- Transom Trailer Straps - personal preference and resale
- Gator step - personal preference and resale

There was no charge for it, but the pinstriping on the trailer looks good - IMO.

Now just waiting for the ice to come off...

got2skigrl
04-06-2021, 02:16 PM
We tried to stay somewhat budget conscious when building our new Craz. Not that we had to stick to a budget, but rather I am not a fan of spending money unless there is a perceived value. We went with the following upgrades:

-Flow 3 surf system - we will most likely have this boat a decade, so I thought it was best to get the latest technology now vs. starting out with the older version.
-GPS - we actually stuck with the paddle wheel. We went back and forth on it, but from research, it appears the paddle wheel does slightly better where there is a steady current, and as we boat on a river, that was enough to help us decide to "save" on that upgrade.
-Metal flake - I love metal flake, so that was an easy one for us, but totally a personal preference
-Gel accent and deck colors- again a personal preference, but I love color
-Gatorstep floor and deck- we boat weird. We stay at our dock most of the time, and use the boat only for rides or sports. We do a lot of getting in and out of the boat at the dock, and having a non-slip deck to step on seemed like an easy choice. Also, went with brown. I had read that the grey was harder to keep clean if you boat in dirty water (and ours will be if there was a recent rain). No clue if that is true or not, but brown went with our colors anyways.
-Mirror upgrade - I dont want to have to turn around to see what my riders are doing. Now that the kids are getting big enough to ride, I want to see them
-Transom Remote - seemed like an ok price to not have to get out of the water and into the boat to change a song we dont like
-Tower appearance upgrade - stuck with the basic tower and was not going to add an accent color, but my dealer wanted us to have it bad enough to throw it in for "free"
-Wakeboard racks with quick release swivel - we dont have a ton of wakeboards and wont be using it too much, but for the price, seemed like a good option vs, hanging over the side of the boat when we are changing out boards
-Premium wetsounds audio - this one was a must for the husband. We probably could have pieced together something better for cheaper, but we knew ourselves... we would never get around to it/put the time into it.
- Bimini top - we are in the south, and it gets HOT. The littles are just learning to do water sports, and a lot of time is spent at idle or slightly faster getting them to ride. Shade is needed. Plus, extra storage
-Depth finder - the river goes from 60 feet to 3 feet in no distance, plus it is 5+ feet lower at labor day vs memorial day. It is a must for us
-Dual battery - more for resale as it is basically expected nowadays
-Spare tire - I dont like going anywhere without a spare

Hayden
04-06-2021, 02:23 PM
I can't imagine being on a wakeboat without a bimini in the Cranbrook/Invermere area. Elevation + more northernly latitude makes it feel like although the air temp is only 25C/77F, the higher UV index burns you up much faster. As well, kids (and adults) never drink enough water, dehydrating even faster without shade.

We are normally on Windermere but it's an absolute zoo on weekends in July. I expect a major accident is just around the corner as people are trying to stuff 12 people into a 6man hot tub. I'm curious what the differences are between Windermere/Columbia/Koocanusa. I've heard Wasa is too small for wakeboats. For me, Windermere is warm and as long as you're going midweek, or really early (with the skiers), it checks all the boxes. South end gets pretty weedy by the end of July.

Congrats on your purchase btw and keep coming back to the site when you have questions. So much to read and learn here.

Waddle
04-07-2021, 11:29 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for the incredible feedback!

However, within the larger family unit - 'Team Used Boat' has come out strong - and I need some ammunition to fight back. Against what I see as rational decision making, the used boat crew found a 2016 Mondo out in Central/Eastern Canada for sale.

It appears to be a well equipped boat for 2016 - but I feel the asking price is a bit steep (But as a Seller - why not shoot for the moon - my neighbour is buying a boat and he asked me the other day - 'Are there lakes around here?' - so if people like him are buying boats - its a good time to sell = bad time to buy).

So 2016 Mondo - worth pursuing? Pretty good boat? Or more of a "I wouldn't spend more than 50K for a boat like that" kind of boat.
- 200-300 Hours, 2700ish Ballasts

I don't know - doesn't seem to make any sense to me - 2021 Mondo remodelled, can get 2021 prices...

If anyone has any advice on how to sway this battle back my way - it would be greatly appreciated - or if anyone has suggestions on how I can cope with a 2016, it might be my only saving grace ;-)

(I'm being overly dramatic about coping with a 2016 - I'm sure I would love it non the less!) - but don't tell Team Used Boat!

Thanks again.

Guppydriver
04-07-2021, 02:12 PM
I agree with the whole new vs used logic 100%.

Another thought is that ordering now, you still get 2021 pricing, as there will likely be an increase for 2022.

Also, the exchange rate is 10% better than when I did my deal.

I don't know if you guys saw the letter that Malibu sent out to it's dealers. It primarily addressed the issue of delayed production due to material shortages (resin and computer components primarily.)

Of particular interest is the anticipation of price increases coming for MY2022... (see pic)

Clearly, I would anticipate the same industry wide. The increasing of the corp tax rate could also exacerbate the issue. Interesting times, I don't feel as scared as I once was about losing my shorts if I were forced to sell my MY2021 due to unforeseen issues.

I can't figure out how to get the pic at better res...

Anyway it says .."We have begun our supply pricing exercises for MY2022. It is very early, but clear we are looking at cost increases unlike we have seen in the last decade plus"

larry_arizona
04-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Sorry to see this hitting the boat market, but it’s fast hitting automotive.

I have a 2021 F150 ordered and it hasn’t budged in the order process in 4 weeks.

Ford has isolated production to Trucks only and they had to shut down one of the 2 F150 plants.

I am fully expecting I will be waiting for 20+ weeks and likely get pushed into a 2022 model year.

sandm
04-07-2021, 03:19 PM

I go home at 10pm each night and pass the henderson auto mall(largest concentration of car lots in vegas). ford/chevy/gm/caddy/kia dealers are the ones I pass as the other ones are on a side street. the chevy/ford/gm lots are almost devoid of trucks and really cars as well. the kia lot is packed full and interestingly over the last 3 years on the kia lot cars have been primarily displayed on gibson- the main road they sit on. a few nights ago they rearranged the entire lot and used trucks are sitting on the front row now.
I think you could almost hold an autocross on henderson chevy's lot right now.

larry_arizona
04-07-2021, 03:20 PM
Yep dealer inventory will be near empty soon, shortages will last through summer

Zog
04-07-2021, 03:30 PM

I have a 2021 F150 ordered and it hasn’t budged in the order process in 4 weeks.

Ford has isolated production to Trucks only and they had to shut down one of the 2 F150 plants.

I am fully expecting I will be waiting for 20+ weeks and likely get pushed into a 2022 model year.

My brother ordered an Expedition in November. The factory cancelled the order last month. He was able to get the dealer to restore it with one of their allocation units for order and delivery I think next month, but it was frustrating. My brother-in-law ordered an F-150 last January and supposedly it will be delivered at the end of the month, but I am not holding my breath.

larry_arizona
04-07-2021, 03:34 PM
My brother ordered an Expedition in November. The factory cancelled the order last month. He was able to get the dealer to restore it with one of their allocation units for order and delivery I think next month, but it was frustrating. My brother-in-law ordered an F-150 last January and supposedly it will be delivered at the end of the month, but I am not holding my breath.

Many f150 orders have been long in the tooth, especially with certain options like max tow package etc.

I knew this going in, but as long as I have a truck on order, I can extend my current lease month by month no problem.

sandm
04-07-2021, 05:26 PM
Yep dealer inventory will be near empty soon, shortages will last through summer

man. sure is tempting to dump our 2020 boat for a few $$ and sell the truck right along with it. I think I could sell our '16 silverado for more than I paid for it in '17.
take the cash and park for a year or 2 and see what happens. lakes r going to be a mess anyway :)

UNSTUCK
04-07-2021, 06:21 PM
man. sure is tempting to dump our 2020 boat for a few $$ and sell the truck right along with it. I think I could sell our '16 silverado for more than I paid for it in '17.
take the cash and park for a year or 2 and see what happens. lakes r going to be a mess anyway :)

STRONGLY considering this too. I bought my boat last September for $90k. I was at the local dealer last Saturday who told me I should list it for $115k at the beginning of May. It would just be crazy to make money on a boat sell.

sandm
04-07-2021, 07:03 PM
STRONGLY considering this too. I bought my boat last September for $90k.

I hear ya. we're in our 2020 r23 at 82k new(sans tax) and think I could peddle right now for 95. not crazy money but profit nonetheless.

larry_arizona
04-07-2021, 07:10 PM
And here I feel lucky to have got what I paid for my 18 and got a good discount on my 21

Chuds
04-07-2021, 09:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for the incredible feedback!

However, within the larger family unit - 'Team Used Boat' has come out strong - and I need some ammunition to fight back. Against what I see as rational decision making, the used boat crew found a 2016 Mondo out in Central/Eastern Canada for sale.

It appears to be a well equipped boat for 2016 - but I feel the asking price is a bit steep (But as a Seller - why not shoot for the moon - my neighbour is buying a boat and he asked me the other day - 'Are there lakes around here?' - so if people like him are buying boats - its a good time to sell = bad time to buy).

So 2016 Mondo - worth pursuing? Pretty good boat? Or more of a "I wouldn't spend more than 50K for a boat like that" kind of boat.
- 200-300 Hours, 2700ish Ballasts

I don't know - doesn't seem to make any sense to me - 2021 Mondo remodelled, can get 2021 prices...

If anyone has any advice on how to sway this battle back my way - it would be greatly appreciated - or if anyone has suggestions on how I can cope with a 2016, it might be my only saving grace ;-)

(I'm being overly dramatic about coping with a 2016 - I'm sure I would love it non the less!) - but don't tell Team Used Boat!

Thanks again.

Well here is some potential ammo or maybe not, sometimes people cannot get past the price difference when it comes to new vs used and I can understand that I suppose.

- Do you care about warranty, I mean I am sure that boat is going for a reasonable price and you are going to be on the hook for the repairs so if your budget conscious cheaper upfront costs vs putting money into a boat with no warranty and a reasonable amount of hours and potentially inheriting someone else's problems.
- 2700lbs ballast vs 3700lb stock
- No Auto Wake, (auto flow is not auto wake and doesn't compare to the current system from what I can tell)
- Old black and white screen (I am pretty sure)
- Narrow beam boat feels noticeably smaller by comparison IMO
- Shallower boat, throwing much more weight at it will not feel near as safe if you are trying to get to 3700lbs let alone any further above that which pretty much means you are stuck with the wave that you get when you get the boat
- Resale in a few years is going to likely suffer a bit more than the new redesigned model due to the dramatic differences
- You are likely paying a premium right now for a used boat that should be significantly cheaper due to normal non covid depreciation numbers vs paying for the new boat price which is less inflated IMO than the used market and then depreciation is more normal (assuming that makes sense, you are paying close to original value of the boat that is already 5 years old vs just paying for the new boat that is new essentially the seller is not eating very much of the actual depreciation)
- You live no where near this boat so unless you buy it sight unseen you are not going to get the boat. By the time you get to view it it will likely have sold so maybe this discussion is all for not. Not seeing and ideally testing a boat is a gamble IMO without warranty
- Per the above point you are going to spend a lot of time missing out on boats unless you have a fist full of cash in hand and show up a day or two after the boat is posted unless it is crazy priced or something is wrong with it. Go with the guaranteed and get what you want
- No walk thru, I really like this feature and it saves the vinyl
- I mean what options do you want, G6 ballast with shorter fill times, 7" screen, stock surf pipe, autowake3 etc. are not on that boat and will not be something you can add later you will need to buy the boat.
- Making due now and then buying the boat you wanted later inevitably will cost you more
- Larger, deeper more roomy bow in the 2021

Well that is all I can come up with and I mean no disrespect to the 2016 Mondo or to anyones older Mondo at all, just providing the arguments for the new. Good luck Waddle!

Holdmybeer
04-07-2021, 09:37 PM
I'll try to help also.

Chuds made excellent points.

I was team used for 1 reason only....I got a larger boat for the money.
Did I settle? Absolutely.
Is crew commonly 10 people? Yes
23ft vs 21ft? Yes please, need all the room?

Looking back I with I had some of the new tech. I wish the stereo didn't need re-wired, I wish I had black chrome logos. I don't regret my decision at all but will this be the last boat I own, probably not. The SA450 or RI237 look awesome!
You already said you plan to upgrade later. With covid, buying new you won't lose much when you sell to upgrade and the new owner will be happy to buy something with warranty. However, if you buy used (sight unseen) you are buying inflated and then selling to break-even if lucky. I bought local from a guy in a tight spot or else a new Max would be in my garage.

Good luck with the Fam! And remember you are getting a new boat regardless so I don't see either way as a losing battle.

jcornell26
04-08-2021, 10:16 AM
This may sway you......
My 2021 Mondo on delivery day with just me in the boat, stock ballast.

BTW @Waddle. Fantastic job hijacking this thread!! :)

Riddler
04-08-2021, 10:24 AM
This may sway you......

Hey jcornell26,

That looks good!

Is that just with stock settings/autowake on?

jcornell26
04-08-2021, 10:36 AM
Hey jcornell26,

That looks good!

Is that just with stock settings/autowake on?

No Autowake....All bags 100% full. Don't remember the exact tab settings and speed at the time.

Riddler
04-08-2021, 11:18 AM
Looking forward to getting on the water to try all this out myself!

Guppydriver
04-08-2021, 01:53 PM
This may sway you......

Post like this should banned until I take delivery of my boat!!! I can't wait t be out on the water. That Mondo is an amazing boat and that wave is fabulous. Enjoy it in good health!

jcornell26
04-08-2021, 04:38 PM
Post like this should banned until I take delivery of my boat!!! I can't wait t be out on the water. That Mondo is an amazing boat and that wave is fabulous. Enjoy it in good health!

HaHa.....
Sorry brother, I am one of those FL people you Northerners hate this time of year. I earned my stripes though as I went through 21 winters growing up in MN.

eder10986
04-08-2021, 05:56 PM
HaHa.....
Sorry brother, I am one of those FL people you Northerners hate this time of year. I earned my stripes though as I went through 21 winters growing up in MN.

I did 18 and they were 17 too many! Now in NC with much milder weather although not Florida like.

Good for you.

sandm
04-08-2021, 06:37 PM
I did 18 and they were 17 too many! Now in NC with much milder weather although not Florida like.

man, I only made it 4 years in green bay and moved to the desert.... 80+ days of temps never soaring above -10 one winter and I was done....
now it's 100+ days over 100 :)

Isaguel
04-08-2021, 06:52 PM
HaHa.....

Dude....:mad: