PDA

View Full Version : A dumb but honest question

Pike
04-11-2007, 11:09 PM
So I'm picking up my first Moomba this friday. I know the obvious accesories that I need to pick up i.e. wakeboard, life vest tow rope.

What are the basics that I will need? Also what length tow rope should I start with?

My dealer says I get 20% off accesories when I pick up.....Is it still a good dealt to by from the dealer or better to buy at the boat show or online??

Thank you in advance for your help :D

Nafplio
04-12-2007, 01:09 AM
When I got my first boat, the dealer threw in a couple of wetsuits. Get a shortie, maybe a full length, and you'll be set all year long.

cab13367
04-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Hi Pike,

Congrats on the new boat. I am assuming that this is your first boat. So here's a list of some of the basics that you absolutely will need, off the top of my head:

Fenders (2)
Anchor and anchor line
Throwable flotation device (rectangular piece of foam covered by nylon) with two straps. Requirement in Oregon and probably CA as well.
Dock lines (2)
Skier down (orange) flag
One life jacket for each person you plan to have on board.

Optional items that you might consider buying include:

Trailer guide pole pads (if you didn't get this option).
Transom tie-downs
Spare tire and bracket (again, if your trailer didn't come with it).
Tower mirror arm.
12V pump if you plan to by a tube

That's all I can think of. Suggest you price out these items online beforehand so you will know if 20% off the dealer's price is better than elsewhere.

Enjoy your new boat!

Al

zabooda
04-12-2007, 02:02 AM
The 20% off is a good incentive to get the stuff you need but price what you need on the internet and if you buy enough from one place they usually ship free and no sales tax from outside your state. Some items like apparel is easier to get locally just to get the right fit. If you've sized the items you need then check those online also. If this is your first boat, then spare life jackets can be found at Wally World or yard sales and put your money into the good stuff like the rope, board, jacket and gloves. Have fun as you will be on the water long before I will.

Buttafewcoe
04-12-2007, 04:35 AM
They like to see you have a first aid kit on board, also
B

Buttafewcoe
04-12-2007, 04:48 AM
Basic Tool Kit.
B

qb12
04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
a sharp, stainless steel knife for cutting your tow rope off the propellor shaft.

i don't think this has ever happened to anyone :oops:

i have a leatherman for this purpose. used it twice.

one time, my fault (actually girlfriends fault) and 2nd time picked up a 25 ft piece of rope that was under the water.

Roachman
04-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Get a 75 ft nonstrech rope. They have good deals on ebay for a rope and handle for $80 made by Bullet. Just search "wakeboard ropes"

llxlv
04-12-2007, 04:13 PM
While the online deals may be good. I feel you should always try and buy from your local pro shop. Just my opinion.

pickle311
04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
While the online deals may be good. I feel you should always try and buy from your local pro shop. Just my opinion.

I second that. The pro shop where I bought my boat hooks me up big time. They gave me a VIP card when i got my boat that's good for 10% off for 2 years. Plus the guy that runs the pro shop here is cool and gives us killer deals. I just went in last week and picked up the new CWB Faction board and he gave it to me for $225. Good luck finding it anywhere cheaper than that.

But I do buy things online that my local shop doesn't have.

As for the things you need, most of them have been stated.
Get a good handle and a non strech rope for wakeboarding. I personally love the helium handles.
You'll need a lot of beer, good music, and a couple of hot chicks too. If you have that you should be set for a killer day. Congrats on the new boat.

BensonWdby
04-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Fire extinguisher, vinyl cleaner, Make sure the trailer has bearing buddies, if not- get them and a grease gun + grease for loading them.

If you are going to plan on wrapping the rope around the propeller, you will need a cheap set of goggles to go with that knife. A couple of good tie-up ropes, preferable with one end looped by mfg.

Personally I don't think transom tiedowns are optional - and I think they should come with the boat.

Make sure that if your trailer does not have electrically activated brakes that you get the lock-out tab (I doubt there are any trailers like this anymore).

smokedog2
04-12-2007, 10:29 PM
aero 303 - do not let it freeze (stupid tax).

Ipod & radio thing for tunes.

Snow this weekend, I'm still going tot he lake.

Buy good lifejackets, heck get good everythng or replace it yearly as you upgrade. I have the retired boards to prove it.

SD2

WaterDawg
04-12-2007, 11:30 PM
You might think about a tow line too.....just in case the goggles and knife don't fix the rope problem....not that I would know! :oops:

Pike
04-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Thank You very much for all your responces! :D