PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Temps

TXSurf4
02-12-2021, 01:48 PM
With most of the country already at or below freezing I might be late in asking this question but do any of you run a bilge heater? I had my boat winterized at the dealer in November.....that being said should I be worried about anything with the boat with these freezing temps we are about to get?

RC_Hinojosa
02-12-2021, 02:19 PM
Yes, it's gonna drop real low Monday.

Winterizing is pretty easy, just follow this doc I made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hmkBzjVSJUR1U9C_3UNL4R0gBHMqpoDL/view?usp=drivesdk

Hit me up if you want a hand this weekend.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
02-12-2021, 02:23 PM
We winterized but I still might have Cody drop a small space heater in the boat on low with a Christmas light timer. Problem is you cannot rely on power remaining on. A friend drove through the hill country yesterday and said he saw multiple power lines down due to ice.

TXSurf4
02-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Yes, it's gonna drop real low Monday.

Winterizing is pretty easy, just follow this doc I made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hmkBzjVSJUR1U9C_3UNL4R0gBHMqpoDL/view?usp=drivesdk

Hit me up if you want a hand this weekend.

The boat was winterized by Rinker's back in November and has not been out since. I was just wondering if there are any other precautions that need to be taken.

TXSurf4
02-12-2021, 02:27 PM
We winterized but I still might have Cody drop a small space heater in the boat on low with a Christmas light timer. Problem is you cannot rely on power remaining on. A friend drove through the hill country yesterday and said he saw multiple power lines down due to ice.

Ya that is very true about power. It is going to be interesting for those of us down here where this is not common at all.

996scott
02-12-2021, 02:32 PM
The boat was winterized by Rinker's back in November and has not been out since. I was just wondering if there are any other precautions that need to be taken.

If it was winterized properly there really is no need to do anything else. Just wait out the winter and get it "dewinterized" in the spring.

Prospersigman
02-12-2021, 02:42 PM
I always have my boat winterized and then summerized at the same time by my dealer here in DFW so I don't have to take it back in the Spring.

Do yall recommend putting an electric space heater inside the boat under the cover in this situation?

RC_Hinojosa
02-12-2021, 02:46 PM
Stay warm, stay safe, and stay off the roads.
I'm definitely staying put Monday after the horrible pileup in Ft. Worth.

Katy,
Special Weather Statement until FRI 1:30 PM CST

Action Recommended

Avoid the subject event as per the instructions

Issued By

Houston/Galveston - TX, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area

Inland Harris County

Description

Three winter storm complexes will move through the region. The first of the 3 systems will be arriving early Saturday evening and overnight. Near freezing temperatures will be in place with a threat of freezing rain and sleet. Precipitation amounts should be light but even so icy roads will be issue especially along and north of a line from Bellville to Conroe to Livingston. The second system is likely to bring record-setting cold to the region. Bitterly cold air will be moving into the region behind an Arctic cold front Sunday night into Monday morning. Temperatures will abruptly plummet below freezing with strong gusty northerly winds. Freezing rain changing over to snow is likely with this system. Prolonged periods of freezing temperatures are expected with low temperatures Tuesday morning 5 to 15 degrees. The combination of both the cold temperatures and winter precipitation have the potential to significantly impact life and property. Travel will be severely impacted by hazardous icy and snowy road conditions. Sporadic power outages will be a possibility. Pipes and sprinkler systems may burst if not properly cared for in advance. Do so now! You should plan to stay put for at least a day given where you are Sunday night because travel may be extremely hazardous Monday. Hypothermia will be a possibility for those not dressed appropriately. Brutally cold wind chill readings of -7 to 10 degrees will be likely Monday through Tuesday morning. Remember the 4 P's: pipes, people, pets and plants. In addition, be aware of space heater dangers if not properly placed/used. The third system arrives sometime Wednesday and could bring another round of freezing rain or snow the region and continuing the cold weather though not as cold as Monday night and Tuesday morning it will continue the winter hazards. Confidence on timing and impacts is lower on this system given the potential for an extensive snow cover to be present across the Southern United States and the potential feedback into the third system.

Tylerrnemt
02-12-2021, 02:59 PM
I've always winterized the boat myself.... It then gets put away in my unheated detached garage. In Central Indiana it is pretty much below freezing temps from December to February including in the garage.... my car cleaning supplies freeze solid lol..... Never had an issue with the boat knock on wood. That is the entire point of winterizing so that if it drops below freezing...nothing freezes. If you trust your dealer than nothing to worry about.

TXSurf4
02-12-2021, 03:18 PM
I always have my boat winterized and then summerized at the same time by my dealer here in DFW so I don't have to take it back in the Spring.

Do yall recommend putting an electric space heater inside the boat under the cover in this situation?

I feel like down here that is how all the dealers do it. They winterize it and then you are good to just drop it in the water in the spring. I am wondering if I should just pop all the plugs out and open the water pump and hose connection and leave them open for the next week.

Katy,

Action Recommended

Issued By

Affected Area

Inland Harris County

Description

Three winter storm complexes will move through the region. The first of the 3 systems will be arriving early Saturday evening and overnight. Near freezing temperatures will be in place with a threat of freezing rain and sleet. Precipitation amounts should be light but even so icy roads will be issue especially along and north of a line from Bellville to Conroe to Livingston. The second system is likely to bring record-setting cold to the region. Bitterly cold air will be moving into the region behind an Arctic cold front Sunday night into Monday morning. Temperatures will abruptly plummet below freezing with strong gusty northerly winds. Freezing rain changing over to snow is likely with this system. Prolonged periods of freezing temperatures are expected with low temperatures Tuesday morning 5 to 15 degrees. The combination of both the cold temperatures and winter precipitation have the potential to significantly impact life and property. Travel will be severely impacted by hazardous icy and snowy road conditions. Sporadic power outages will be a possibility. Pipes and sprinkler systems may burst if not properly cared for in advance. Do so now! You should plan to stay put for at least a day given where you are Sunday night because travel may be extremely hazardous Monday. Hypothermia will be a possibility for those not dressed appropriately. Brutally cold wind chill readings of -7 to 10 degrees will be likely Monday through Tuesday morning. Remember the 4 P's: pipes, people, pets and plants. In addition, be aware of space heater dangers if not properly placed/used. The third system arrives sometime Wednesday and could bring another round of freezing rain or snow the region and continuing the cold weather though not as cold as Monday night and Tuesday morning it will continue the winter hazards. Confidence on timing and impacts is lower on this system given the potential for an extensive snow cover to be present across the Southern United States and the potential feedback into the third system.

Ya it is going to pretty nasty that is for sure.

Prospersigman
02-12-2021, 04:46 PM
At least on my 550 motor the only water is in the heat exchanger and the cats the motor is Glycol cooled.

I had all 6 of my ballast pump impellors replaced at the 300 hour service/winterizing so there wouldn't be any water left in the ballast pumps.

I also called my dealer and they said that since its indoors and "out of the elements" that it wont be an issue. But if I wanted to come buy a $500 bilge heater they have them for sale:rolleyes:

larry_arizona
02-12-2021, 05:45 PM

Katy,

Action Recommended

Issued By

Affected Area

Inland Harris County

Description

Normal winter day in the north.

That pileup was brutal, I certainly understand the suddenness of the ice combined with driver inexperience, bad combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2in2out
02-12-2021, 07:17 PM

My wife said that 183 got shut down last night. She’s working the ER in Cedar Park and said people were still coming in for BS symptoms. She flies back to Reno on Saturday just in time.

Like others have said, if you trust your service departments winterization skills, there should be no problems.

Caution with space heaters and fuel vapors. Only closed circuit oil filled heaters should be used. Anything with an energized element can cause a vapor ignition.

Plug in your battery tender. This will generate some heat and keep the batteries from suffering “cold death”.

jcarter20
02-14-2021, 02:51 PM
You can ask your dealer what antifreeze they use. There are options for -50, -60 and -100. While it would seem like -50 would take care of any part of the country, it does freeze. This took me by surprise one year when we hit -12 in Ohio. I was worried about my engine when I popped a plug and nothing came out. This was with the -50 antifreeze. What I found out was these marine antifreezes offer “burst” protection down to those temps. Not freeze protection. I didn’t have any issues, but I still don’t like the idea of frozen antifreeze in the block. If we get temps below 0, I usually drop an electric heater in there that has a t stat on it. Probably not necessary, but let’s me sleep at night. Unless you are going to be around 0, I would sleep like a baby.

jcarter20
02-14-2021, 02:56 PM
After I circulate my antifreeze though the engine, I also pop a few plugs and drain a little out. This gives it some room to expand when it does freeze. I also take a sample and put it in a bowl in the barn where my boat is stored. If it freezes, then I know my engine antifreeze is probably frozen. It was around 19 here last night and it was still complete liquid. That is the -60 marine antifreeze from West Marine.

MJHSupra
02-15-2021, 12:58 AM
Why have a heater if the boat was winterized and stored inside a building? Peace of mind in TX?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Tommy2slow
02-15-2021, 04:58 AM
If your boat was winterized by a reputable dealer you needn’t worry. It was -50 here last week. Lots of boats stored in unheated spots here. There should be antifreeze where it is needed and all freshwater should have been removed. It will delay the start to your season if there is an issue but if the boat was done by a reputable shop they should cover the repair. I keep my boats in a heated garage but still have them winterized be a high profile dealer for peace of mind if there is an extended power outage.

zabooda
02-15-2021, 02:25 PM
The dealer will always be responsible for winterization if they did the work. That is why you don't mess with anything after the winterization where it could be called into litigation if there was a problem. If in doubt, have them summerize the boat in the spring where they maintained configuration from start to end. Maybe that is why I did my own winterization.

rdlangston13
02-15-2021, 05:16 PM
Speaking of these freezing temps, storm is in full swing in Katy, TX. Got down to 14 last night and is currently 21. Power has been out at my house since 2 am, last I heard it was 58 degrees in the house. Luckily the gas is still flowing and my wife has the fire place lit but there's not real way to distribute that heat throughout the house.

Apparently all the wind turbines out in west Texas froze and are not spinning then two natural gas power stations west of the Trinity river suffered generation failure or something due to frozen instrumentation. Millions across Texas without power right now. Super fun.

larry_arizona
02-15-2021, 05:28 PM
Speaking of these freezing temps, storm is in full swing in Katy, TX. Got down to 14 last night and is currently 21. Power has been out at my house since 2 am, last I heard it was 58 degrees in the house. Luckily the gas is still flowing and my wife has the fire place lit but there's not real way to distribute that heat throughout the house.

Apparently all the wind turbines out in west Texas froze and are not spinning then two natural gas power stations west of the Trinity river suffered generation failure or something due to frozen instrumentation. Millions across Texas without power right now. Super fun.

Man that sucks.

If power is out for awhile and you have any water pipes against exterior walls, let those faucets drip to keep water moving.

rdlangston13
02-15-2021, 06:33 PM
Man that sucks.

If power is out for awhile and you have any water pipes against exterior walls, let those faucets drip to keep water moving.

Yeah, the power company is not being very specific on when we should expect it come back on. Basically said between 2 hours and 2 days.

My grandparents live out in west Texas outside a small town called Spur. They live in a double wide with no gas service and their power has been out since around 0400. Their high today was 15 and tonight it’s supposed to drop to around 5. Last I heard they were just bundled in bed trying to keep warm.

MJHSupra
02-15-2021, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hope they can find somewhere to go until the power gets back on.

larry_arizona
02-15-2021, 10:31 PM
I hope your grandparents and those struggling for heat get relief and are safe.

I am sure power teams are traveling to Texas to assist getting power back on line.

When we get power outages during winter ice storms here, I see power teams from many states helping here.

A generator is worth its weight in gold during winter outages up north. We typically get one winter outage per year from an ice storm.

rdlangston13
02-16-2021, 05:00 AM
So yesterday my grandmother decided they’d be better off risking the roads so they loaded up in the truck went into Lubbock to my uncles house. Normal about 1 hr and 15 minute drive, not sure how long it took them but for sure was the right call.

My house is going on 25 hours with no power and it’s 12 degrees out. Home my wife and kids are not popsicles!

cp64
02-16-2021, 10:31 AM
Bought a new Moomba down by Lake Conroe. Question...do the boats come with a 50/50 antifreeze/water mixture?

larry_arizona
02-16-2021, 11:10 AM
Bought a new Moomba down by Lake Conroe. Question...do the boats come with a 50/50 antifreeze/water mixture?

The raptor engines run a closed cooling system and typically have a antifreeze mix good to appx -30f.

However there is a heat exchanger cooling loop that needs to be drained for winterization including the transmission cooling.

MJHSupra
02-16-2021, 10:16 PM
Hmmmhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210217/21cb5712a7da865d5b707318abd72de7.jpg

rdlangston13
02-17-2021, 07:01 AM
Hmmmhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210217/21cb5712a7da865d5b707318abd72de7.jpg

In all fairness pretty much every power generation source in the state failed us this week. Wind turbines froze, natural gas pipelines froze, we even had a nuclear plant go offline due to instrumentation freezing. Just nothing in TX was designed for this level or storm in mind. Hopefully they retrofit some of the equipment to prevent this from happening in the future. There will definitely be some lessons learned from all this.

2in2out
02-17-2021, 10:45 AM
ERCOT put profits over people in not requiring better resiliency standards. This article is a good explainer on it all. https://apple.news/AXA2lS9BYRSWOermFOsC30Q

MJHSupra
02-17-2021, 10:49 AM
ERCOT put profits over people in not requiring better resiliency standards. This article is a good explainer on it all. https://apple.news/AXA2lS9BYRSWOermFOsC30Q

I was also reading that article this am

MJHSupra
02-17-2021, 10:52 AM
In all fairness pretty much every power generation source in the state failed us this week. Wind turbines froze, natural gas pipelines froze, we even had a nuclear plant go offline due to instrumentation freezing. Just nothing in TX was designed for this level or storm in mind. Hopefully they retrofit some of the equipment to prevent this from happening in the future. There will definitely be some lessons learned from all this.

I agree. But when I hear about rolling blackouts, I think about the mgnt of CA, not TX.

UNSTUCK
02-17-2021, 10:54 AM

On the bright side, I do believe the ice storm itself was made from real water and not fossil fuels.

Josh828
02-17-2021, 11:19 AM
I agree. But when I hear about rolling blackouts, I think about the mgnt of CA, not TX.

Isn't Tx basically energy independent? so them getting hit hard like this is worse because they cant just get power from a neighbor??
I could be totally wrong haha

Also think it's funny they are putting in that much effort into the windmill, alternative sources like that usually can't put power back into the grid when the main power is down.

2in2out
02-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Yes, Texas is 90% energy independent, mostly to avoid federal regulation that first, cuts into profits, and requires more resiliency because, you know, regulation is an infringement on liberty, etc.

From what I’ve discerned is that wind generation capacity this time of year is already low because of wind patterns and most wind equipment is offline for general maintenance.

Production and distribution are the issues, but it seems the points of failure are generation capacity. Although building codes are playing a big part of demand due to poor insulation, and most homes depending on emergency heat pumps as primary sources of heat.

It’s a multifaceted failure of a system.

zabooda
02-17-2021, 02:21 PM
Wind turbines are politically motivated. Eastern Washington they are mostly free spinning due to excess power from the hydro dams and nuclear (all green energy) but they continue to try and remove the dams. This episode should shut down the greenies but it won't.

2in2out
02-17-2021, 03:44 PM
Wind turbines are politically motivated. Eastern Washington they are mostly free spinning due to excess power from the hydro dams and nuclear (all green energy) but they continue to try and remove the dams. This episode should shut down the greenies but it won't.

I can’t agree with this statement. Turbines free spin when not needed for the grid because the force vectors of wind on stationary components would put the structure in loads that it can’t handle. Hydroelectric power has done significant ecological damage and the infrastructure is aging and being abandoned by the cooperatives because refurbishment costs are so high. Wind turbines are just good presumptive planning for the time using technology available. There is local, regional, national, and world contexts at play.

The problem with a renewable energy sources is a problem of storage. Large scale battery storage is inefficient and has other high environmental costs. Every source of power has a byproduct that is not healthy for us or the earth as a whole. Our energy infrastructure is decaying, and the costs of transferring excess to markets in need are prohibitive.

Energy independence only benefits the seller in the dependent market. Interdependence increases the depth of energy resources, but creates an environment for regulatory fraud and codependency in poorly managed systems.

The California example of rolling blackouts is often used, but the realities are that the system is dependent on a number of natural sources. Hydroelectric can’t supply enough during drought years. Wind is highly variable. Nuclear can’t handle the load alone. Blackouts because of wind are a recent thing to reduce liability after aging infrastructure caused wildfires. It’s a guessing game on whether they significantly reduce fire risk or not.

I know many people like to complain about alternative energy sources, particularly wind power, but the reality is our dependence on power grows more and more each day with technology. None of it is good for the earth or for us, and unless Thanos snaps his fingers there’s little to cure the problem. If you trash talk about one energy source, the reality is you’re trash talking them all because they are necessary.

rdlangston13
02-18-2021, 07:26 AM
I've long be proponent of a diverse energy portfolio. The people who think going 100% green is going to end up fantastic are fools and the people who think we need 100% coal are fools. One of the biggest problem is the endorsement of one form of power and the vilification of another. After this storm in TX I plan on investing in a standby generator in our next house, I would buy one for our current house if we did not plan on moving in 3-4 years. I will also say regardless of this mess, I still like being on our own power grid but I do think the ERCOT board members NEED to consist of people within the state who also have to rely on this power grid. It may not make a difference but it would make me feel better.

Fun fact, we even had one of our nuclear plants go down due to instrumentation icing. There was never any danger but they had to shut down as a safety precaution. Also I don't think poor building codes can be blamed, TX has A LOT of small towns where houses and buildings were built before there were even such a thing as building codes and most modern developments are pretty strictly coded for our climate. Main issue with this storm is it is way out of the ordinary for our climate. Especially when we are supposed to be getting hotter.

Biggest issue I am seeing now that things are beginning to defrost is people have damaged plumbing everywhere. It looks like by some miracle we MAY have escaped this fate.

Josh828
02-18-2021, 11:00 AM
I've long be proponent of a diverse energy portfolio. The people who think going 100% green is going to end up fantastic are fools and the people who think we need 100% coal are fools. One of the biggest problem is the endorsement of one form of power and the vilification of another. After this storm in TX I plan on investing in a standby generator in our next house, I would buy one for our current house if we did not plan on moving in 3-4 years. I will also say regardless of this mess, I still like being on our own power grid but I do think the ERCOT board members NEED to consist of people within the state who also have to rely on this power grid. It may not make a difference but it would make me feel better.

Fun fact, we even had one of our nuclear plants go down due to instrumentation icing. There was never any danger but they had to shut down as a safety precaution. Also I don't think poor building codes can be blamed, TX has A LOT of small towns where houses and buildings were built before there were even such a thing as building codes and most modern developments are pretty strictly coded for our climate. Main issue with this storm is it is way out of the ordinary for our climate. Especially when we are supposed to be getting hotter.

Biggest issue I am seeing now that things are beginning to defrost is people have damaged plumbing everywhere. It looks like by some miracle we MAY have escaped this fate.

I install and service standby generators if you ever have any questions let me know!
They are a huge expense however the day you do need it there is nothing better, woke up this morning to my generator humming along

larry_arizona
02-18-2021, 11:03 AM
I install and service standby generators if you ever have any questions let me know!
They are a huge expense however the day you do need it there is nothing better, woke up this morning to my generator humming along

Don’t most of theses standby units run on NG? I am curious if Texas standby generators would run currently? I thought NG delivery was shut off or reduced?

rdlangston13
02-18-2021, 11:12 AM
Don’t most of theses standby units run on NG? I am curious if Texas standby generators would run currently? I thought NG delivery was shut off or reduced?

We've had NG service throughout the whole storm. It was the only thing keeping my family from freezing. That's is a good question though, reports of NG plants shutting down because the pipelines froze however I had plenty to feed my gas fireplace nearly non stop for days.

Waterworn
02-18-2021, 11:22 AM
With most of the country already at or below freezing I might be late in asking this question but do any of you run a bilge heater? I had my boat winterized at the dealer in November.....that being said should I be worried about anything with the boat with these freezing temps we are about to get?

I've been hearing some crazy stories out of Texas from this winter storm. I heard this one guy was visiting family in Texas in his motor home. He emptied nearly all the fluids he could and winterized it as best he could, and the record cold still blew a bunch of pipes. Good luck with your boat, I hope you don't get any damage from this storm.

Josh828
02-18-2021, 11:26 AM

Natural gas or propane!
They actually run better on propane

The smaller units are super easily converted back and forth
Larger units do require a few tools and patience

Commercial units can be dual fuel

Also most generators only burn around gallon an hour so a 500 gallon propane tank can last around 2 weeks if need be

larry_arizona
02-18-2021, 11:27 AM
I have a whole house generator, but I purposely chose gasoline.

I have 20-25 gallons of gas on hand typically and that is 3-4 days worth on my genny.

I can always siphon gas from my several vehicles if needed.

Josh828
02-18-2021, 12:22 PM
I would say you are an exception from the general population haha
Most people with portable gas generators run into several problems.
They got a tiny one that won't run anything
They don't know how to hook it up to run the whole house
They can't keep fresh gas in it so it never starts when needed

I have several from buying them off customers when putting in a standby.
But I LOVE the standby for the fact of this morning I woke up in a warm house, had a hot shower, turned the news on and left for work. Almost didn't realize the power was out expect for the slight humm of the generator that fired up around 4am this morning.

larry_arizona
02-18-2021, 12:39 PM
I would say you are an exception from the general population haha
Most people with portable gas generators run into several problems.
They got a tiny one that won't run anything
They don't know how to hook it up to run the whole house
They can't keep fresh gas in it so it never starts when needed

I have several from buying them off customers when putting in a standby.
But I LOVE the standby for the fact of this morning I woke up in a warm house, had a hot shower, turned the news on and left for work. Almost didn't realize the power was out expect for the slight humm of the generator that fired up around 4am this morning.

I start mine monthly, keep stabil in it, starts on 2nd pull, wired my own transfer switch to feed my panel, generator is hooked up in my barn so it’s plenty quiet when running.

We lose power typically once a year from either an spring ice storm or a someone hitting a power pole or even a random transformer pops.

Best $1000 I ever spent.

When my power goes out, I turn off my main breaker to isolate myself from power line, start genny and life is good. Fill gas every 12-13 hours.

When my DTE app alerts me power is back on, I reverse everything and back in business.

Josh828
02-18-2021, 12:43 PM
Thats the way to do it! Way to complicated for most though haha

You have $1000 in it while standbys run minimum $7500 up to $27k for about the nicest residential we usually do

larry_arizona
02-18-2021, 12:59 PM
Thats the way to do it! Way to complicated for most though haha

You have $1000 in it while standbys run minimum $7500 up to $27k for about the nicest residential we usually do

I agree, it’s not for everyone, but seriously how hard is it to pull a cord twice a month?

I typically do it on a Day when I am cutting the grass, but I guess some people don’t do that either lol.

jcarter20
02-18-2021, 01:52 PM
I start mine monthly, keep stabil in it, starts on 2nd pull, wired my own transfer switch to feed my panel, generator is hooked up in my barn so it’s plenty quiet when running.

We lose power typically once a year from either an spring ice storm or a someone hitting a power pole or even a random transformer pops.

Best $1000 I ever spent.

When my power goes out, I turn off my main breaker to isolate myself from power line, start genny and life is good. Fill gas every 12-13 hours.

When my DTE app alerts me power is back on, I reverse everything and back in business.

I did a very similar thing. Except I picked up a Tri-fuel. I have a buried propane tank that will run it for days...then could switch the gas. I too would siphon gas from vehicles and boats if need be. Only issue is I can’t run my geothermal system. So gas fire place is the only heat source for downstairs. It works very well, but I do have to watch loads. It can’t handle microwave, water heater, well pump, and stove all that the same time. It is just a matter of being aware of what all is running at one time.

sandm
02-18-2021, 04:27 PM
I typically do it on a Day when I am cutting the grass, but I guess some people don’t do that either lol.

what is the grass thing you speak of???? :razz:

TXSurf4
02-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Well we made it through what I feel was the worst of it down here. My family and I were without power for 31 hours. Coldest it got in the house was 54 but we all just stayed bundled up by the fireplace to sleep. Other than that we did some donuts on the Polaris in our cul-de-sac and some sledding down a small hill behind our house on an old wakeboard of mine. It was basically like camping. Our 2 year old loved it and our 8 month old....well he is 8 months old so he was along for the ride lol. All the fun aside we are blessed to have all stayed warm and still have water. A lot of people are still without power and either don't have water or are on a boil water notice. Our prayers are with them all.

Not that it is important in times like these but this is a boat forum after all so as far as the boat goes it was winterized by my dealer and I spoke to them on Friday and they said that since it was winterized by the it will be just fine. I keep it in an enclosed storage unit but it is not heated so hopefully all is good. We will find out in a few short weeks as I am planning to haul it up to the lake house to have the lift fitted for it when the boat house is done. I plane to run it by the dealer to have it checked out before I haul it the 2.5hrs up there.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

rdlangston13
02-18-2021, 05:45 PM
Natural gas or propane!
They actually run better on propane

The smaller units are super easily converted back and forth
Larger units do require a few tools and patience

Commercial units can be dual fuel

Also most generators only burn around gallon an hour so a 500 gallon propane tank can last around 2 weeks if need be

So is it possible to get it installed for NG but connect it to a portable propane tank in an emergency if we lose gas service?

larry_arizona
02-18-2021, 05:53 PM
Glad things are warming up TEXAS!!!

2in2out
02-18-2021, 06:14 PM
So is it possible to get it installed for NG but connect it to a portable propane tank in an emergency if we lose gas service?

I would advise against NG hook-up. While NG hook-up is possible, seismic events and regulator icing can cause failure. The conversion from propane to gasoline is much easier, so if your propane regulator ices up, you can switch to propane. Firman makes dual fuel generators that have sine wave inverters, can run in parallel, and some models have remote start.

https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com/shop/wh03042/

Word of warning on generators. Make sure you have a transfer switch and like Larry said, shut off the main, otherwise you’ll backfeed the local lines creating hazards for those retiring power.

Another lesson learned when I was on a hurricane deployment was to secure your generators. A family woke to find they had no power even though they heard the generator running outside. Someone had replaced the generator with an idling lawn mower and stole their generator. The depths of depravity of people during extremes has no bounds.

MJHSupra
02-18-2021, 07:26 PM
A family woke to find they had no power even though they heard the generator running outside. Someone had replaced the generator with an idling lawn mower and stole their generator. The depths of depravity of people during extremes has no bounds.

WTF is wrong with people? Yikes

sandm
02-18-2021, 07:40 PM
WTF is wrong with people? Yikes

I agree but then you see stories like this one and it restores some faith in our race.....

In Houston, Texas, where residents continued to be pummeled by a winter storm for which the state's electric grid seemed largely unprepared, there is an example of how a retailer can play a real role in community-building.

Fox News reports on how Jim McIngvale, the owner of Gallery Furniture who is known as "Mattress Mack," has opened his furniture showroom to people in need, offering them shelter and allowing them to sleep on the couches and beds on display in the facility.

"We’ll get through this," McIngvale says. "We’re here to benefit the community that’s what we’ve always done and we have a responsibility for the well-being of the community, we’re trying to live up to that." Mcingvale says "that he expects 100 or so more to come to his business over the next couple of days, with many already there enjoying free food, a reprieve from the cold, and a place to get ready before heading off to work."

rdlangston13
02-18-2021, 07:52 PM
I would advise against NG hook-up. While NG hook-up is possible, seismic events and regulator icing can cause failure. The conversion from propane to gasoline is much easier, so if your propane regulator ices up, you can switch to propane. Firman makes dual fuel generators that have sine wave inverters, can run in parallel, and some models have remote start.

https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com/shop/wh03042/

Word of warning on generators. Make sure you have a transfer switch and like Larry said, shut off the main, otherwise you’ll backfeed the local lines creating hazards for those retiring power.

Another lesson learned when I was on a hurricane deployment was to secure your generators. A family woke to find they had no power even though they heard the generator running outside. Someone had replaced the generator with an idling lawn mower and stole their generator. The depths of depravity of people during extremes has no bounds.
Yeah but if I do the propane route than I have to have a giant ass propane tank somewhere on my property which is another large cost. Seems like if it’s not hard to convert to from NG to propane I’d rather have it rigged up on NG and then have small bottles of propane I could use in an emergency if the gas is shut off. We don’t live in a seismically active area so that’s not a huge concern. It would primarily be run for hurricanes and if this ever happened again.

I agree but then you see stories like this one and it restores some faith in our race.....

In Houston, Texas, where residents continued to be pummeled by a winter storm for which the state's electric grid seemed largely unprepared, there is an example of how a retailer can play a real role in community-building.

Fox News reports on how Jim McIngvale, the owner of Gallery Furniture who is known as "Mattress Mack," has opened his furniture showroom to people in need, offering them shelter and allowing them to sleep on the couches and beds on display in the facility.

"We’ll get through this," McIngvale says. "We’re here to benefit the community that’s what we’ve always done and we have a responsibility for the well-being of the community, we’re trying to live up to that." Mcingvale says "that he expects 100 or so more to come to his business over the next couple of days, with many already there enjoying free food, a reprieve from the cold, and a place to get ready before heading off to work."

Mattress Mack is a stud. He did the same think during Harvey. Sent his delivery trucks out to rescue people and house them on display furniture in his store and even pulled née mattress down from warehouse so people had a place to sleep. Dude it a class act. After Harvey I vowed to only by my furniture from gallery. I had already bought my sofas and bedroom set from there.

2in2out
02-18-2021, 08:25 PM
Yeah but if I do the propane route than I have to have a giant ass propane tank somewhere on my property which is another large cost. Seems like if it’s not hard to convert to from NG to propane I’d rather have it rigged up on NG and then have small bottles of propane I could use in an emergency if the gas is shut off. We don’t live in a seismically active area so that’s not a huge concern. It would primarily be run for hurricanes and if this ever happened again.

You can get a good day of run time out of a 7 gal propane cylinder, and switching from gas to propane and back is merely a toggle switch. Switching from NG to propane means changing jets in the mixing valve and orifice size in the throttle body. Far more work. Propane and gasoline (once atomized) have similar LEL, UEL, flash points, and air fuel mixtures for ICE engines. Plus, access to propane bottles is easy. It’s a cheap alternative to running a gas line for the 1-2 weeks you might have to use it every year. Additionally, you can use them for special events. A parallel set of 3k portables offers more load capacity and versatility than a 5k Genset.

rdlangston13
02-18-2021, 08:30 PM
You can get a good day of run time out of a 7 gal propane cylinder, and switching from gas to propane and back is merely a toggle switch. Switching from NG to propane means changing jets in the mixing valve and orifice size in the throttle body. Far more work. Propane and gasoline (once atomized) have similar LEL, UEL, flash points, and air fuel mixtures for ICE engines. Plus, access to propane bottles is easy. It’s a cheap alternative to running a gas line for the 1-2 weeks you might have to use it every year. Additionally, you can use them for special events. A parallel set of 3k portables offers more load capacity and versatility than a 5k Genset.

My main thing is I am out of town half the year and on top of that it seems I miss every major natural disaster. I want the easiest thing for my wife which seems to be a standby 16kw generator on NG. The less she has to do the better, that’s the number 1 reason I want to go that route instead of a portable gas generator. It seems like if you just have a separate throttle bottle already with the correct jets than it should be straight forward to just change the whole throttle body in the event our NG would go down. My brother or father in would be able to knock that out in an emergency without me being home.

2in2out
02-18-2021, 08:33 PM
Another option is to get a 2021 F-150.

https://apple.news/AcDHCqMVERKC6OA9wbeBV8w

rdlangston13
02-18-2021, 08:34 PM
Another option is to get a 2021 F-150.

https://apple.news/AcDHCqMVERKC6OA9wbeBV8w

Yeah that’s the first thing I thought of when they released the power boost. Looks like some people are putting it to good use right now.

2in2out
02-18-2021, 08:40 PM
My main thing is I am out of town half the year and on top of that it seems I miss every major natural disaster. I want the easiest thing for my wife which seems to be a standby 16kw generator on NG.

I understand your thinking now. I think my wife could handle the set-up with an instruction sheet, but I’d love to have remote isolation and transfer with a solid fuel source like I have at my station.

I’m curious if anyone with a Tesla Powerwall has will reveal their experience. A powerwall with solar and small genset would be a good set-up.

larry_arizona
02-18-2021, 09:02 PM
I understand your thinking now. I think my wife could handle the set-up with an instruction sheet, but I’d love to have remote isolation and transfer with a solid fuel source like I have at my station.

I’m curious if anyone with a Tesla Powerwall has will reveal their experience. A powerwall with solar and small genset would be a good set-up.

Curious how well solar is working during this Texas storm.

2in2out
02-18-2021, 10:11 PM
Curious how well solar is working during this Texas storm.

Solar will still generate in light levels down to 5%, and they have capacitance. Angle of light and diffusion reduce output, so snow will reduce output but cold helps reduce dissipation due to heat.

zabooda
02-19-2021, 01:56 AM
Need to have a truck with a built in generator.
https://autos.yahoo.com/texas-ford-f-150-hybrid-185100501.html;_ylt=Awr9KRFAUi9gJTcAt49x.9w4;_ylu= Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj

Isaguel
02-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Here's an interesting real world test of what the truck can power:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35152752/powered-house-ford-f-150-hybrid/

They need to figure out how to put this power train in RV's.

Josh828
02-19-2021, 09:42 AM
Yeah so big differences here are portable generators and standby generators

Both can run on natural or propane however converting a standby back and forth would require some work as the connections are permanently mounted.

Standbys also have automatic transfer switches so if anyone is worried about their wife being able to do it by themselves a standby is a great option since the whole process is automatic

Edit: Powerwalls are great however you gotta spend a chuck of change to get enough power to last more 8-12 hours
Got a guy who spent about $40k on two batteries that will run his house for 2 weeks

rdlangston13
02-19-2021, 01:53 PM

Both can run on natural or propane however converting a standby back and forth would require some work as the connections are permanently mounted.

Standbys also have automatic transfer switches so if anyone is worried about their wife being able to do it by themselves a standby is a great option since the whole process is automatic

Edit: Powerwalls are great however you gotta spend a chuck of change to get enough power to last more 8-12 hours
Got a guy who spent about $40k on two batteries that will run his house for 2 weeks

Yeah I looked at power walls and they are ridiculous expensive.

rdlangston13
02-19-2021, 02:15 PM

This makes it look very simple to swap back and forth.

https://youtu.be/-LDi8WuRQXA

Josh828
02-19-2021, 03:13 PM
This makes it look very simple to swap back and forth.

https://youtu.be/-LDi8WuRQXA

yeah on their air cooled smaller unit that's all for the generator however what they aren't showing you is the fuel inlet.

Swapping that would would be the difficult part haha

j.mo
02-21-2021, 04:35 AM
I have a 26k generac with an auto transfer. Thing is pretty slick. Surprisingly quiet for what it is, and pretty compact and easy to service.

larry_arizona
02-21-2021, 11:13 AM
I have a 26k generac with an auto transfer. Thing is pretty slick. Surprisingly quiet for what it is, and pretty compact and easy to service.

26k sounds baller[emoji106]. I can power my full panel with an 8000 gas generac. It won’t start my AC though, but we rarely lose power in summer.

I suppose if all my appliances started at the exact same time, an 8k would not work, but in reality that never happens.