PDA

View Full Version : 2 speed transmission outboards

Ralphy
02-12-2021, 01:11 AM
Pretty interesting, I wonder when will wake boats have transmissions?
Only make sense get 12k #'s on plane then shift and save fuel.

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/.amp/boats/mercury-600-testing-the-v12-monster-of-lake-x

Tommy2slow
02-12-2021, 01:53 AM
Mastercraft offered a 2-speed transmission for a while. Not sure why they dropped the option or if any other inboard manufacturers had a multi-speed offering.

SONIC
02-12-2021, 09:23 AM
MB had it for a while as well.
Consensus was it shifted too hard and wasn't pleasant.
I imagine with improvements in tech and throttle control it would be more doable now.

larry_arizona
02-12-2021, 10:11 AM
Not sure you want it to shift while surfing, would take it out of the powerband.

But that 600 outboard is awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhouse181
02-12-2021, 11:22 AM
Not sure you want it to shift while surfing, would take it out of the powerband.

But that 600 outboard is awesome!!!!

Better be for $77k a pop...

larry_arizona
02-12-2021, 11:38 AM
$77k seems reasonable for an outboard that does that much. General rule of thumb for outboards is $100 per hp.

Much better to run 3 600’s than 4 450’s. Same HP but far more efficient not having the drag of the 4th out drive.

That will be a game changer in the offshore boats.

rdlangston13
02-12-2021, 02:12 PM
$77k seems reasonable for an outboard that does that much. General rule of thumb for outboards is $100 per hp.

Much better to run 3 600’s than 4 450’s. Same HP but far more efficient not having the drag of the 4th out drive.

That will be a game changer in the offshore boats.

Not sure how much of a game changer, they market has had a 557 and 627 hp outboard for a while now. I think with Volvo announcing that it is ending the 7 marine engines this is just filling a power vacuum left behind.

sandm
02-12-2021, 05:11 PM
Not sure how much of a game changer, they market has had a 557 and 627 hp outboard for a while now. I think with Volvo announcing that it is ending the 7 marine engines this is just filling a power vacuum left behind.

if they are ending the 7marine line, wonder if that means there was not as much of a demand for them.
seems the merc racing 400's are both much lighter and cheaper so losing 1000lbs on the ass end might be the same as the larger cube motors?

larry_arizona
02-12-2021, 05:19 PM
The drag of a 4th out drive is exponential.

The 7 marines are badass GM LSA engines for sure.

Considering GM is no longer manufacturing the LSA engine blocks may have something to do with 7 marine stopping.

I believe the 557’s were $80k and 627’s were $90k so $77k for the 600 is reasonable.

Two speed trans, lower unit steering, multi prop are all upgrades.

1800 hp with 3 out drives is faster than 1800hp and 4 out drives.

endotiger
02-12-2021, 06:04 PM
The 7 Marine engines were awesome, but the company didn't have much of a chance. They were a small startup with zero fabrication capability. They were an assembly company. All manufacturing was farmed out. I think Mercury will have sustained success with this engine with because they'll be able to support it long-term. I certainly hope it's successful. It looks amazing!

larry_arizona
02-12-2021, 06:16 PM
The 7 Marine engines were awesome, but the company didn't have much of a chance. They were a small startup with zero fabrication capability. They were an assembly company. All manufacturing was farmed out. I think Mercury will have sustained success with this engine with because they'll be able to support it long-term. I certainly hope it's successful. It looks amazing!

Let’s be honest, 7marine, Indmar, illmor and other marine engine companies are only as good as what major OEM offer them to start with.

The LSA is a badass engine (happen to have an LSA car) so it’s near and dear to my heart. But once GM cancelled it, 7 marine needed to find a replacement. Perhaps the LT4 was not a great application for continuing with supercharged GM engines.

But a company like mercury builds their own engines, even came up with a near knockoff of a GM 6.2 LS cam in block overhead valve.

Indmar has flip flopped over the years from GM to Ford based on what the OEM’s are offering as a base engine.

The Raptor is a solid performer, but what is the next engine family coming? Back to GM, Godzilla, Could FCA Hemi go marine.....I mean the put a hellcat in everything lol

larry_arizona
02-13-2021, 09:48 AM
The more I read about the verado 600 the better it gets.

Considering this is a base verado, imagine what the mercury race version will put out.

Typically a supercharger will add 1.25 to 1.5x more power conservatively, somewhere between 750-900hp.

I really like how the whole engine doesn’t pivot, that alone will make boats handle better.