PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Air Exhaust Group Buy (FAE group buy) Anyone Interested?

Damian Grasso
02-02-2021, 11:44 AM
hello! If we get enough people together I believe we can get a discount on Fresh Air exhaust for our moombas. please let me know if you are interested in a group by and we could see about pricing.

MJHSupra
02-02-2021, 11:50 AM
There is a member on there that is a dealer - corvette8189.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?31267-FAE-Install-Pics

MJHSupra
02-02-2021, 11:54 AM
He is also on the Supra/Moomba Facebook page too.

Damian Grasso
02-03-2021, 04:08 PM
Thanks!!
apreciate it

MJHSupra
02-03-2021, 11:36 PM
Thanks!!
apreciate it

No problem. Facebook is easier to check messages.

William Shafer is easy to deal with. Bought FAE from him on my last boat.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Damian Grasso
02-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Thanks! Im dealing with him now. What is expected in the box? Fittings, etc? Thanks!!

MJHSupra
02-04-2021, 06:56 PM
Thanks! Im dealing with him now. What is expected in the box? Fittings, etc? Thanks!!

Yes, I recall all the SS clamps were provided. On my last boat, I had a Side Mount Option that supported the pipe real good. It was mounted/drilled to the swim platform. It was years ago, but I think I used some different SS screw/bolts on the install. Also used some debond to get the original flanges/flappers off the boat. Then used some 5200 on the reinstall back to the transom.

russellsmojo
02-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Is this a do it yourself project on a 2017 SA? I have the factory turn down tip now which seems to help over the straight out. I assume the FAE would be substantially quieter than the turn down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corvette8189
02-17-2021, 09:50 PM
Thank you. If anybody has any questions or wants to order one send me a message on here or FB.

corvette8189
02-17-2021, 09:52 PM
Is this a do it yourself project on a 2017 SA? I have the factory turn down tip now which seems to help over the straight out. I assume the FAE would be substantially quieter than the turn down?

Yes it will be quieter. Install can be a pain. Getting the factory outlet off is the hard part.
Let me know if I can help you out.

flienlow
03-02-2021, 03:07 PM
Yes it will be quieter. Install can be a pain. Getting the factory outlet off is the hard part.
Let me know if I can help you out.

Be careful. Had I known the gigantic pain in @$$ this would end up being, I never would have started. I now have a brand new FAE in the Garage and I don't know if I am going to install it (again.) :(

What you don't know.

1. Its a pain in the D!ck to get the old exhaust off.
2. 3m 5200 is the most messiest Stuff invented by man. It will get everywhere. Gloves and masking tape are a must.
3. Your boat may still leak.
4. FAE does not use the factory indexed 4 holes. so you need to drill 3 new holes that are close to the old holes in the transom. This is moronic beyond explanation.
5. SC uses the thinnest transoms in the industry. ( or so I am told ) At 1" thick I believe it. this causes flexing issues with the exhaust. = failures.
6. this is a 2 person job.
Finally, you need to trust that the newer improved version is not going to break like the older ones did. Larry assues me it won't.

russellsmojo
03-02-2021, 07:48 PM
Be careful. Had I known the gigantic pain in @$$ this would end up being, I never would have started. I now have a brand new FAE in the Garage and I don't know if I am going to install it (again.) :(

What you don't know.

2. 3m 5200 is the most messiest Stuff invented by man. It will get everywhere. Gloves and masking tape are a must.
4. FAE does not use the factory indexed 4 holes. so you need to drill 3 new holes that are close to the old holes in the transom. This is moronic beyond explanation.
5. SC uses the thinnest transoms in the industry. ( or so I am told ) At 1" thick I believe it. this causes flexing issues with the exhaust. = failures.
Finally, you need to trust that the newer improved version is not going to break like the older ones did. Larry assues me it won't.

Talked me out of it. Maybe I should just buy a new boat instead lol!

loc82
03-02-2021, 08:09 PM
lol me too.
Talked me out of it. Maybe I should just buy a new boat instead lol!

KnoxMojo
03-02-2021, 10:11 PM

What you don't know.

I have installed 2 FAE on my boats, the 15 Mojo and my 18 SA. Neither were very difficult. The Mojo has super easy as the flange outlet from the factory was a different design and the pipe just slipped over it, screwed down with some 5200 and attached the supplied bracket. Actually did that on my lift sitting on a paddleboard. The SA was a bit harder, but not much. Used the pipe screw hole template, marked it, taped off then drilled. Oh, I can assure you the transom is more than an inch thick! That design, the pipe goes into the boat some to connect to the exhaust, used 5200 on the pipe to seal as well as the factory clamp. even with removing the surf locker floor, only took a couple hours start to finish for me and a buddy. The Factory pipe uses the same 4 holes, not sure why FAE didn't, but just filled the old holes with 5200, you cant see them after the new pipe is on.

flienlow
03-03-2021, 03:21 PM
I have installed 2 FAE on my boats, the 15 Mojo and my 18 SA. Neither were very difficult. The Mojo has super easy as the flange outlet from the factory was a different design and the pipe just slipped over it, screwed down with some 5200 and attached the supplied bracket. Actually did that on my lift sitting on a paddleboard. The SA was a bit harder, but not much. Used the pipe screw hole template, marked it, taped off then drilled. Oh, I can assure you the transom is more than an inch thick! That design, the pipe goes into the boat some to connect to the exhaust, used 5200 on the pipe to seal as well as the factory clamp. even with removing the surf locker floor, only took a couple hours start to finish for me and a buddy. The Factory pipe uses the same 4 holes, not sure why FAE didn't, but just filled the old holes with 5200, you cant see them after the new pipe is on.

I measured mine (through hole for exhaust.) It is right about an inch thick. I was shocked given the size of the boat and weight of the of the motor.

Per FAE

"....We are now on generation 3 in the evolution of FAE single exhaust (the FAE we sent you is an upgrade). In addition to studying FAE, we have also studied the failures Moomba/Supra have had with their factory installed surf pipes (which we do not manufacture).

While we have substantially strengthened the flange mount, the primary problem is that the Moomba/Supra transom is too thin (the thinnest in the industry I believe). That is the reason for the transom thickener we sent you.

The holding power occurs in the glue joint. Once the adhesive is cured, the screws are pretty much superfluous. If there is any movement in the adhesive joint, the screws and/or weld will eventually fail due to metal fatigue.

We go with three holes so there is a top center hole to hang the FAE from while installing; thus making vertical alignment easier to achieve. We purposely avoid the factory drilled holes because we don’t know the quality of the hole (too large?) and because factory installed parts are frequently not aligned perfectly (which is necessary for the fitment of a single exhaust outlet FAE)...."

KnoxMojo
03-03-2021, 03:37 PM
That's a pretty solid explanation. Just seemed a lot thicker drilling through. I've had mine on since 18 with no issues. I did like the Mojo design better as it had a bracket arm for extra support.

larry_arizona
03-03-2021, 03:39 PM
I believe Supra redesigned the factory pipe in 2020.

My 21 pipe looks much different than my 18 pipe

TXSurf4
03-03-2021, 04:24 PM
I believe Supra redesigned the factory pipe in 2020.

My 21 pipe looks much different than my 18 pipe

I believe SC did for both Moomba and Supra. My factory one had a crack in the weld and I had it replaced this past fall under warranty. The new one is definitely shorter. I wanted to keep my old pipe to compare the 2 but my dealer said they have to send them back to SC for the warranty claim. I was bummed bc I was going to mount it in my garage coming out of the wall LOL.

larry_arizona
03-03-2021, 06:06 PM
I believe SC did for both Moomba and Supra. My factory one had a crack in the weld and I had it replaced this past fall under warranty. The new one is definitely shorter. I wanted to keep my old pipe to compare the 2 but my dealer said they have to send them back to SC for the warranty claim. I was bummed bc I was going to mount it in my garage coming out of the wall LOL.

Much shorter and less of a bend.

BigOrange
03-05-2021, 12:55 PM
That's a pretty solid explanation. Just seemed a lot thicker drilling through. I've had mine on since 18 with no issues. I did like the Mojo design better as it had a bracket arm for extra support.

Interesting on the Mojo design from FAE. When I bought the FAE in 2018 I received just the single arm (no brace) one for my 2016 Mojo. I would much rather have a brace as well.

KnoxMojo
03-05-2021, 10:22 PM
Interesting on the Mojo design from FAE. When I bought the FAE in 2018 I received just the single arm (no brace) one for my 2016 Mojo. I would much rather have a brace as well.

My Mojo was a 15, not sure if it was any different on the transom or not.

flienlow
03-22-2021, 11:11 PM
Oh, I can assure you the transom is more than an inch thick! .

You sure about that? :)

KnoxMojo
03-22-2021, 11:23 PM
You sure about that? :)

Guess I'm wrong, happens plenty. Wonder if it's different thickness in other areas? Or that's all that's needed. Never really put much thought into it. Is that for just Moomba or Supra as well?

flienlow
03-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Guess I'm wrong, happens plenty. Wonder if it's different thickness in other areas? Or that's all that's needed. Never really put much thought into it. Is that for just Moomba or Supra as well?

I was working on my ballast venting. I was able to see light through the painted Gunwale. These boat are not as thick as previous ones I have owned. I would like to hope its higher performing materials as opposed to cost savings.

flienlow
03-23-2021, 10:50 AM
I reinstalled my spare exhaust last night. The new stiffener block provided by FAE did not fit. I had to cut it down on the table saw in order for it to fit. This was disappointing, but easily fixed for me. I was also able to do this job myself. I aligned exhaust with hold and the new stiffener block held it in place. I then sprayed glass clean in the exhaust bpile for lubrication. I then applied the god forsaken 5200 and the pipe slid right in. The stiffener block has nut plates attached so you simply install screws and then you are all but done.

jcredible
03-23-2021, 02:02 PM
I am curious if others have better success with the new FAE install setup(thicker flange\weld and stiffener block). I am probably selling my recently warrantied pipe, but if it doesn't sell, I might look for field experience if the new version has better luck. If it hasn't sold I will install it in the fall...i keep my boat in a slip and worry about leaving it with a slow leaking cracked weld on the FAE without knowing.

It does have a noticeable difference on sound in the boat though! It appeared to give me problems after a long tubing session with the kids...so curious if anyone else has noticed that!

flienlow
06-28-2021, 06:33 PM
I am curious if others have better success with the new FAE install setup(thicker flange\weld and stiffener block). I am probably selling my recently warrantied pipe, but if it doesn't sell, I might look for field experience if the new version has better luck. If it hasn't sold I will install it in the fall...i keep my boat in a slip and worry about leaving it with a slow leaking cracked weld on the FAE without knowing.

It does have a noticeable difference on sound in the boat though! It appeared to give me problems after a long tubing session with the kids...so curious if anyone else has noticed that!

Just an update. my new FAE Setup failed. A Screw pulled out and the exhaust ripped away from the transom breaking the 5200 Seal.

BigOrange
06-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Here’s my update. In the off season, had my buddy seam weld both sides of FAE pipe to flange. FAE as bought has only tax welds on the transom side of the flange. Then, I made my own backing plate for inside the boat out of left over marine grade plywood I used on my subwoofer box. Used longer through bolts to mount along with as much quick set 5200 as I could get there. So far so good this season but I’m not sold that it will last.

Here is a theory — I’m wondering if the folks having the most problems are pulling tubers often. At 20+ mph constantly turning S-turns has to put quite a moment on the cantilevered FAE.

flienlow
06-30-2021, 10:21 AM
Here’s my update. In the off season, had my buddy seam weld both sides of FAE pipe to flange. FAE as bought has only tax welds on the transom side of the flange. Then, I made my own backing plate for inside the boat out of left over marine grade plywood I used on my subwoofer box. Used longer through bolts to mount along with as much quick set 5200 as I could get there. So far so good this season but I’m not sold that it will last.

Here is a theory — I’m wondering if the folks having the most problems are pulling tubers often. At 20+ mph constantly turning S-turns has to put quite a moment on the cantilevered FAE.

NOTE:My boat is geared so low that I never go above 17mph. As a general rule we leave the dock and surf at 11mph and below.

HFarr
06-30-2021, 11:23 AM
NOTE:My boat is geared so low that I never go above 17mph. As a general rule we leave the dock and surf at 11mph and below.Wow. What prop/engine combo?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

jcredible
06-30-2021, 05:37 PM
i had issues with mine last year...and it almost always coincided with the same time I was pulling the tube more often!

larry_arizona
06-30-2021, 05:41 PM
I can tell you the new moombas and Supras are super (and equally) thick in transom and have aluminum reinforcements too for all the mounting hardware.

flienlow
07-02-2021, 10:54 AM
I can tell you the new moombas and Supras are super (and equally) thick in transom and have aluminum reinforcements too for all the mounting hardware.

How thick? My '19 is 15/16" thick.

larry_arizona
07-02-2021, 11:19 AM
It’s not a uniform thickness, perhaps at the exhaust opening it’s roughly an inch, but the holes for the swim platform brackets and wake plate/tabs etc are reinforced and thicker than an inch.

htfit
07-10-2021, 11:26 PM
I cut my fae down a little bit just to reduce the chance of it cracking. I really don't want to go through replacing that thing again. It was a pita. I cut it about 1 inch below the tab when it is all the way down. That way when crusing at higher speeds with tab at 100% it is not that far in the water. When surfing I never have the tab above 25% and it looks like there is plenty of depth left to keep the exhaust in the prop wash. Hopefully it helps. I also believe that they crack when doing sharp turns at higher speeds or just going higher speeds in general.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210711/f23143bcac8ede76cf20bd4534b46c32.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210711/ee91337c92303b8cbf1a129a5e97b2f4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210711/5f9cee4194457542e7e059b89e098731.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

HFarr
07-11-2021, 10:05 AM
My 2021 Makai FAE has a totally different look than yours does.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210711/f30dc5c8b28c890e7cd686f0f705768e.jpg

htfit
07-11-2021, 02:18 PM
My 2021 Makai FAE has a totally different look than yours does.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210711/f30dc5c8b28c890e7cd686f0f705768e.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using TapatalkIt does. Hmmm... I think I may shorten it some more. Thank you for showing that picture. I wonder if that piece on top is for vibration.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

HFarr
07-11-2021, 06:53 PM
Here it is from another view. The plate welded to it is not flat. Looks like it is there to somehow act as a trim tab? Maybe this does help reduce vibration by keeping a slight pressure on it when running through the water.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210711/b60e32867be2ec9aad19237e1ea84890.jpg

HFarr
07-11-2021, 06:54 PM
This is a stock pipe from the build at SC by the way.

BigOrange
07-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Consensus on the forum is that the plate/wing is for vibe dampening.

Buckeye
07-12-2021, 05:12 PM
The factory exhaust sells for $1300. FAE seems to be around $550-$600 for the single. Anyone know of differences in performance between the two? Does putting the FAE on instead of the factory version impact warranty? Thoughts?

Holdmybeer
07-12-2021, 08:46 PM
After all the stories and Facebook post around the internet, I would buy the factory unit.

I priced it for my 2015 Mojo at $1079. I'm sure you could install it yourself.

larry_arizona
07-12-2021, 08:58 PM
I know it doesn’t help those looking to add surf pipes to existing boats, but it’s a great deal to get the factory pipe option when you order the boat.

zabooda
07-12-2021, 09:10 PM
They need to shorten the moment arm on that device. Get the outlet right behind the rudder, widen the opening and have a shallower depth. It would need to be part of the boat hull design and would look really sharp. A game changer for sure. The concept would be similar to the design of the older outboard engines where the exhaust came out behind the prop.