PDA

View Full Version : Supra Trash Can Chute behind driver seat

SONIC
01-29-2021, 10:03 AM
So I've been dicking around with this design and wanted to hear peoples thoughts.
Worthwhile or no?

I did all this design and made it and then the wife said "why not just pull the whole thing out and make the whole thing a trash chute"
She has a solid logic even if it's infuriating lol.

Opinions? It's yet to be anodized, it will look like all the rest of the aluminum in the boat.

RC_Hinojosa
01-29-2021, 10:19 AM
Excellent taste in beer (Go Texas) but if you dropped that bottle of Shiner from that height on to other glass bottles underneath in the trash can, I feel like there would be broken glass.

One of my hard rules is no glass in a space meant for bare feet. [emoji2375]

Looks cool though, I'd order one for my imaginary Supra [emoji16]

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
01-29-2021, 10:28 AM
Great idea, love it!!!

How much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh828
01-29-2021, 10:28 AM
Just realized the Supras have trash cans below that already... Im just a poor they gave me a small hatch in the bottom of the boat the size of a 2L for trash.. Even worse everyone was super excited about it???

But I think that is an amazing idea! I know I would use it like crazy as really a quick beer reload is essential to a good day on the water. I also wouldn't worry about glass breaking at that height falling into plastic or other glass.

MJHSupra
01-29-2021, 10:41 AM
I like the idea. Will probably put something different on my SL this summer, but not sure what.

There is a guy on Facebook that has been making them from plastic. I think his latest design was to also put phone charger into the unit. I think his model has a bottom on the cup-holder that supports a Yeti cup, but will also be a trash chute if you push a can and the bottom opens to a trash bag.

Some else built and posted a chute that looked like a little door with a hinge and push-button to open and close. Bigger than a cup holder - rectangle shape. The door had vinyl on top and blended in.

Cool idea. They all need bigger trash cans under there to support trash bags. At the end of the day, pull the bag, off you go, ready for the next outing.

SONIC
01-29-2021, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys,

I guess the question is should I eliminate the phone slots and just make it a bigger trash opening? And if so would people be interested in the aluminum piece or would you rather just pull the plastic piece out and have a hole?

I was really excited about it until the wife said shed rather I just pull the piece and leave the hole big so she can throw away more than beer. (like there's anything "more" than beer) She also said no one puts their phone there anyway which is probably true.

SONIC
01-29-2021, 11:16 AM
I like the idea. Will probably put something different on my SL this summer, but not sure what.

There is a guy on Facebook that has been making them from plastic. I think his latest design was to also put phone charger into the unit. I think his model has a bottom on the cup-holder that supports a Yeti cup, but will also be a trash chute if you push a can and the bottom opens to a trash bag.

Some else built and posted a chute that looked like a little door with a hinge and push-button to open and close. Bigger than a cup holder - rectangle shape. The door had vinyl on top and blended in.

Cool idea. They all need bigger trash cans under there to support trash bags. At the end of the day, pull the bag, off you go, ready for the next outing.

Yep I've seen his but the whole point of this to me is to eliminate some of the cheap plastic junk and replace with aluminum to add to the high end feel. The 3d printed stuff looks way cheaper than the factory plastic, be it functional or not.
I agree on the trash can I think I can fit a much larger can in there and be good to go.

My SA has the 2 tiny trash cans built in, one under the floor and one behind the hatch in the observer compartment. They have to be emptied about 3 times a day though which is very annoying.

larry_arizona
01-29-2021, 11:17 AM
I would like at least one phone slot, I don’t think the opening needs to be bigger as long as a can and bottle fits through.

Much prefer billet versus 3D print

SONIC
01-29-2021, 11:18 AM
Great idea, love it!!!

How much

Dunno yet, depends how many people want them I suppose. A lot more machine time and material than the pulls.
I've just always thought that plastic part didn't belong when the rest of the boat is machined aluminum

Prospersigman
01-29-2021, 11:29 AM
First of all...who brings glass bottles on the boat to the lake?

I use the storage portion for phones, can of Copenhagen, the ladies put sunglasses, ponytail holders, etc. We also drink a lot of beer so we typically flatten our beer cans to save space in the tiny trash can that lives underneath.

Definitely billet and definitely 2 phone slots with charger. Is the trash opening as big as it can possibly be, or is there room to make it a little bigger?

larry_arizona
01-29-2021, 11:35 AM

I use the storage portion for phones, can of Copenhagen, the ladies put sunglasses, ponytail holders, etc. We also drink a lot of beer so we typically flatten our beer cans to save space in the tiny trash can that lives underneath.

Definitely billet and definitely 2 phone slots with charger. Is the trash opening as big as it can possibly be, or is there room to make it a little bigger?

I have no issue with bottles in the boat.

SONIC
01-29-2021, 11:37 AM

A lot of the beer I like only comes in a bottle so I do lol. Other than taking up more space I don't see the issue, you'd have to really try hard to break one in the boat.
A can fits through there just fine as well.
Hole is 3" and it could probably go to 3.125 but not much bigger. Plenty of clearance for any can or bottle (even I crushed can i think) but not for a bag of chips or something like that going in the trash.

RC_Hinojosa
01-29-2021, 12:18 PM

I use the storage portion for phones, can of Copenhagen, the ladies put sunglasses, ponytail holders,

Where does the spit can go? [emoji1787]

SONIC
01-29-2021, 12:19 PM
Where does the spit can go? [emoji1787]

The lake is the spit cup :twisted:

eder10986
01-29-2021, 01:19 PM
Love it. I’d buy one if you sell em. I don’t really see the purpose of the trash chute we have and don’t really see myself using it. We’ll gather garbage in a bag in cooler or something. If we use the chute I can see myself forgetting about it as it’s just another thing I have to clean out.

Just my opinion. But I’d love something like this.

KnoxMojo
01-29-2021, 01:59 PM
I have seen the 3d printed units, he has a couple designs. 1 of them just replaces the cup holder and adds a chute or can be used as a cup holder, it is pretty clever. The other makes better use of the bin by adding an extra cup holder and phone slots with wireless charging. Or you can do what I did, cut a hole in the side, add a cover ring and pass the trash through. I took out the little trash can and put in a 5 gallon can in the larger space. Put lead weight and an anchor in the old trash can spot.

Glass bottles...the issue for me isn't the bottle itself, it is the metal cap. Those tend to get lost and find themselves under seats or other areas and rust. They also get end up in the floor and get stepped on, way worse pain that a Lego!!! As long as my folks make sure to secure those caps, I have no issues with glass, the beer tastes better.

2in2out
01-29-2021, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys,

I guess the question is should I eliminate the phone slots and just make it a bigger trash opening? And if so would people be interested in the aluminum piece or would you rather just pull the plastic piece out and have a hole?

I was really excited about it until the wife said shed rather I just pull the piece and leave the hole big so she can throw away more than beer. (like there's anything "more" than beer) She also said no one puts their phone there anyway which is probably true.

I would be into one that has no phone slots. I’m ambivalent on the usb charger. I’d need mine to be able to fit casamigos, cazadores, or half a dozen sizes of bourbon bottles.

larry_arizona
01-30-2021, 05:55 PM
Technically the 21 SA’s don’t come with a trash can in this area, however plenty of room for a bigger bin or trash can.

If you decide to make these please sign me up for one.

SONIC
01-30-2021, 07:05 PM
Technically the 21 SA’s don’t come with a trash can in this area, however plenty of room for a bigger bin or trash can.

If you decide to make these please sign me up for one.

I'll be making some and sending them off for anodizing in the next few weeks. Probably do with and without the phone holders and charger.

My 20SA doesn't have a trashcan there either but it's the tallest most logical spot for one IMO

larry_arizona
01-30-2021, 07:09 PM
I will be putting a larger trash can here with a block of foam in the bottom, probably a 13 gallon bag.

2in2out
01-30-2021, 09:01 PM
I'll be making some and sending them off for anodizing in the next few weeks. Probably do with and without the phone holders and charger.

My 20SA doesn't have a trashcan there either but it's the tallest most logical spot for one IMO

If you make one that is all chute, I’ll take one.

I notice you keep your wind dam behind the seat. Any ideas on a billet holder for it?

larry_arizona
01-30-2021, 09:05 PM
Great spot for windscreen, where do you guys keep the walk through sun pad? Other than in the garage.

SONIC
01-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Great spot for windscreen, where do you guys keep the walk through sun pad? Other than in the garage.

In the garage lol.
We've never even used it

SONIC
01-31-2021, 07:00 PM

I notice you keep your wind dam behind the seat. Any ideas on a billet holder for it?

Hadn't given it any thought, any ideas?

KnoxMojo
01-31-2021, 07:11 PM

Be careful putting the windscreen behind the driver seat if you lower the tower to cover. The tower can and will break the screen if over too far. New screens are around $250, just fyi, lol.

larry_arizona
01-31-2021, 08:06 PM
I did notice the tower mechanism is not shielded in that compartment.

KnoxMojo
01-31-2021, 08:15 PM
I did notice the tower mechanism is not shielded in that compartment.

I meant right behind the seat, in the compartment will most likely be ok

2in2out
02-01-2021, 01:02 AM
Hadn't given it any thought, any ideas?

Let me ruminate on that one. I’ll PM you when I have an idea.

Be careful putting the windscreen behind the driver seat if you lower the tower to cover. The tower can and will break the screen if over too far. New screens are around $250, just fyi, lol.

Wind dam always goes back to its rightful place in the walkway, or in the OB before we stow the tower and cover. We keep it in place when we tow as well.

KnoxMojo
02-01-2021, 01:12 AM
Wind dam always goes back to its rightful place in the walkway, or in the OB before we stow the tower and cover. We keep it in place when we tow as well.

Good call on always putting it up..I don't tow and we use it all the time, so I keep it as accessible as possible. Maybe Supra will come out with a door some day.

SONIC
02-01-2021, 09:19 AM

Interesting, mine almost never leaves the area behind the seat, shoved all the way to the wall and I've never noticed it even close, I'll have to take a look!

SONIC
02-01-2021, 04:00 PM
So without the phone holders do you guys prefer to still have a little cubby or make one larger trash chute?

KnoxMojo
02-01-2021, 04:14 PM
Interesting, mine almost never leaves the area behind the seat, shoved all the way to the wall and I've never noticed it even close, I'll have to take a look!

They might have changed from 2018 to the 2020, but not sure. Just watch out next time and see. I sure broke 1, lol

2in2out
02-01-2021, 05:55 PM
So without the phone holders do you guys prefer to still have a little cubby or make one larger trash chute?

I vote one large trash shoot.

SONIC
02-01-2021, 06:11 PM
I vote one large trash shoot.

Like so?

2in2out
02-01-2021, 06:15 PM

Like so?

Yes!!!! Perfect. What are the dimensions of the opening. That will guide my tequila and bourbon purchases somewhat.

SONIC
02-01-2021, 06:42 PM
about 6.25 x 3 or so still have to make one to test fitment.

RC_Hinojosa
02-01-2021, 09:51 PM
Yes!!!! Perfect. What are the dimensions of the opening. That will guide my tequila and bourbon purchases somewhat.Not sure a bottle of Patrón would fit down the chute but maybe a bottle of Maker's 46 [emoji16]