PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for new Mojo options

jordankmc
01-24-2021, 12:58 PM
I'm just finalizing my order for a 2021 Mojo and I've almost reached the top of my budget. Curious for people thoughts on the following options if they could only pick one:

- surf pipe
- bow speakers
- wiring for tower speakers(my current order does not have any tower speakers)
- heater

Thanks for your thoughts.

2in2out
01-24-2021, 01:22 PM
I'm just finalizing my order for a 2021 Mojo and I've almost reached the top of my budget. Curious for people thoughts on the following options if they could only pick one:

- surf pipe
- bow speakers
- wiring for tower speakers(my current order does not have any tower speakers)
- heater

Thanks for your thoughts.

In order of my priority:

- Surfpipe. Get it now because aftermarket is prone to failure
- tower wiring. It’s a PITA.
- heater. If you are in cold water or want to extend the season, it’s a must.
- bow speakers are diy possible.

If you are topping out on budget consider some other cutbacks. Most trailer upgrades are unnecessary. Wakemakers is having a great sale on props. If you’ve chosen the upgraded prop, compare prices.

Without having your current build it’s hard to say where else you could squeeze. The heater is a big necessity for our boat, but my last boat didn’t have great sound. So I wouldn’t be willing to not have tower audio, and the issues with aftermarket surf pipes speak for themselves, and I think it’s one of the most considerate upgrades for your passengers, riders, and others on the lake.

arsnlgunnr
01-24-2021, 01:52 PM
I went with all but the heater on my Mojo for the reason stated above. Better to get it all done during the build so any issues are covered with the warranty and so your time on the water isn’t lost to the time it will take to do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
01-24-2021, 01:56 PM
Another vote on factory surf pipe.

Agree, Heater is region dependent

Speakers amps and wiring may depend on your audio capabilities.

sandm
01-24-2021, 02:14 PM
for us,
tower wiring would be a must. I'm a pretty good installer and it's a royal PITA to fish the towers. easier to have it done.
heater is location dependent.
bow speakers are pretty easy to put in IF you don't mind cutting into 'glas/plastic. if not, pay for it. they're pretty easy to wire.
surfpipe would be a not for us, but that's been discussed ad-nauseum on here so my advice, do your own research on that one.

Dank
01-24-2021, 02:19 PM
We have a build spot reserved for one too.. and hope to decide in the next few months. My .02 is surf pipe is must - now or never. Tower wiring a must.. it will save you a ton of time and headache. That's what I did on my last boat, (added the towers aftermarket with just the wiring). The only option I think that we don't really have on the list would be the Heater..

Considering it, but wondering if it's worth it? I've been on plenty of boats that have them, but never saw anyone actually use them. So, you grab the heater tube and stick it in your wetsuit/clothes or what? We've always been fine with just a wetsuit and a heavy sweater or towel here in Texas.. i dunno.. maybe I'm wrong or missing something? Considering it - just not sold on it.

from my perspective - on the trailer, would you go with larger 18 tires over the 15, or would you add the electronic brake option instead? Our truck has a electronic brake controller that we didn't get to use on our last boat and I think it would really help. I do kind of like the simplicity of the surge trailer though, less things to break is my thought. I don't like some of the clunky sounds it makes though.. Does anyone here have the electronic brake controller, do you like it or is it just unnecessary?

also, completely off topic - and it's just my "thought" - but from going from a bare bones build last time to a fully loaded one this time - I have this feeling that when it comes to resale, I feel like from a buyers prospective, a boat is a boat. I.e. - a Max is a max, a Makai is a Makai, etc. they ultimately search on the model, but don't really take into consideration the crap ton of options and the additional cost. Especially true of first time buyers who probably don't know the additional costs involved. They ultimately are just looking at the lowest price. Might be true, might not be, but it's just my observation.

I can't tell you how many stupid posts I've seen various places that say "why buy used when a new mojo is only $78k", etc. lol Fully loaded, you are well over 100k, easy.

Congrats on the new ride! Hope to have one this summer as well, looks like they nailed this one.

2in2out
01-24-2021, 03:36 PM
When we move to Austin, the use of the heater will be to extend our season, dependent on if we get indoor storage. We would be starting around early April and boating to thanksgiving. Even then, the water temp is still warmer then our local lakes in august.

As far as the trailer, I would go EOH over surge. The same wiring already exists, and I like trailer braking down some of the grades we have to descend. Plus you can fine tune it to your driving and braking style.

I’ve seen a number of videos of fools at the ramp trying to pull out too big of a boat with 2wd vehicles, watching them slide down the algae covered slip and slide. I could imaging EOH brakes would be helpful to keep some maroons from submersing their cars.

larry_arizona
01-24-2021, 03:42 PM
When we move to Austin, the use of the heater will be to extend our season, dependent on if we get indoor storage. We would be starting around early April and boating to thanksgiving. Even then, the water temp is still warmer then our local lakes in august.

As far as the trailer, I would go EOH over surge. The same wiring already exists, and I like trailer braking down some of the grades we have to descend. Plus you can fine tune it to your driving and braking style.

I’ve seen a number of videos of fools at the ramp trying to pull out too big of a boat with 2wd vehicles, watching them slide down the algae covered slip and slide. I could imaging EOH brakes would be helpful to keep some maroons from submersing their cars.

It’s not just 2wd trucks with big boats sliding into lakes.

Any 2wd truck on the ramp is at risk as there is no way to lock the front brakes once you exit the truck to release boat.

Guppydriver
01-24-2021, 03:55 PM
We have a build spot reserved for one too.. and hope to decide in the next few months. My .02 is surf pipe is must - now or never. Tower wiring a must.. it will save you a ton of time and headache. That's what I did on my last boat, (added the towers aftermarket with just the wiring). The only option I think that we don't really have on the list would be the Heater..

Considering it, but wondering if it's worth it? I've been on plenty of boats that have them, but never saw anyone actually use them. So, you grab the heater tube and stick it in your wetsuit/clothes or what? We've always been fine with just a wetsuit and a heavy sweater or towel here in Texas.. i dunno.. maybe I'm wrong or missing something? Considering it - just not sold on it.

from my perspective - on the trailer, would you go with larger 18 tires over the 15, or would you add the electronic brake option instead? Our truck has a electronic brake controller that we didn't get to use on our last boat and I think it would really help. I do kind of like the simplicity of the surge trailer though, less things to break is my thought. I don't like some of the clunky sounds it makes though.. Does anyone here have the electronic brake controller, do you like it or is it just unnecessary?

also, completely off topic - and it's just my "thought" - but from going from a bare bones build last time to a fully loaded one this time - I have this feeling that when it comes to resale, I feel like from a buyers prospective, a boat is a boat. I.e. - a Max is a max, a Makai is a Makai, etc. they ultimately search on the model, but don't really take into consideration the crap ton of options and the additional cost. Especially true of first time buyers who probably don't know the additional costs involved. They ultimately are just looking at the lowest price. Might be true, might not be, but it's just my observation.

I can't tell you how many stupid posts I've seen various places that say "why buy used when a new mojo is only $78k", etc. lol Fully loaded, you are well over 100k, easy.

Congrats on the new ride! Hope to have one this summer as well, looks like they nailed this one.

Just a random thought about the electric over hydraulic brakes. When I solicit option opinions on a forum, I look for opinions that people seem most passionate about. Ya, there's always the Dos Equis guy who's like "get every option like I did". Most of the time within the same thread though, you find varying opinions on the same option. This thread is a good example. Some have put surf pipe as their number one option. Sandm says he wouldn't even get at all. Same with heater...etc

However...

People who have had EOH trailer brakes are absolutely FANATICAL about having them. Pretty much every single one of them. I don't mean "If you come in under budget, I'd maybe think of EOH brakes". I mean "That is the first option I am checking and I'll omit everything else before this".

I just upgraded my wheel size on my build, and am now thinking of going back to 15 inch wheels in order to put my money into EOH brakes. I mean one is for looks, the other is for safety. Sorry to deviate from topic, I was just thinking out loud.

sandm
01-24-2021, 04:59 PM
It’s not just 2wd trucks with big boats sliding into lakes.

we have 4x4(always on at the ramp) and tires are factory goodyears with 41k on them. last fall we slid down the ramp a little while launching and I had to go change my shorts afterwards... I think my tires still have life but the ramp told us otherwise..
just a word to the wise. 4x4 is nice BUT having good rubber is also part of the equation on slick ramps.

factory junk tires so will be good to get some decent rubber on it this spring.

SONIC
01-24-2021, 05:01 PM
Just a random thought about the electric over hydraulic brakes. When I solicit option opinions on a forum, I look for opinions that people seem most passionate about. Ya, there's always the Dos Equis guy who's like "get every option like I did". Most of the time within the same thread though, you find varying opinions on the same option. This thread is a good example. Some have put surf pipe as their number one option. Sandm says he wouldn't even get at all. Same with heater...etc

However...

People who have had EOH trailer brakes are absolutely FANATICAL about having them. Pretty much every single one of them. I don't mean "If you come in under budget, I'd maybe think of EOH brakes". I mean "That is the first option I am checking and I'll omit everything else before this".

I just upgraded my wheel size on my build, and am now thinking of going back to 15 inch wheels in order to put my money into EOH brakes. I mean one is for looks, the other is for safety. Sorry to deviate from topic, I was just thinking out loud.

I've always found this odd. I tow a lot. I have 5 trailers, 35' dual tandem gooseneck, dump trailer, equipment trailer, enclosed, etc etc. I pull everything from an unloaded 2000 lb bumper pull to a fully loaded goosneck at 25000lbs+

After saying that I have zero issue with my SA and surge brakes. EoH is better sure but there's nothing wrong or unsafe about surge brakes. The slight jerk from a stop is a mild annoyance but otherwise it pulls and stops just fine. Maybe in the super steep mountains they are worth the upgrade but mien goes up and over monteagle on the interstate at 7% grade without issue.

larry_arizona
01-24-2021, 05:03 PM
My theory needs clarification, if you have a 4x4 you need to keep the front tires on dry pavement so that when in park, front axle is locked and tires grab,

All bets are off when all 4 tires are in algae.

May as well be on ice.

Dank
01-24-2021, 05:13 PM

However...

that was my thoughts on this as well.... lots to think about! Glad to hear this perspective, very helpful!!

We do have a 4X4, and for the record have never had an issue at a ramp, in fact I've had to help pull other boats out on some nasty ramps in Austin. I do agree with the other's comment - "never overlook having good rubber".

That being said, we are at the higher range of our weight capacity for a 1/4 ton truck with boat, trailer and lead. Wondering if it can't hurt to have? if it comes down to it, bigger tires for flash or better brakes... I may go brakes. Lots to think about still!

sorry for the off topic guys, but appreciate the help! It IS for a Mojo, so maybe not totally off topic.. lol

rdlangston13
01-25-2021, 09:03 AM
The surf pipes are very nice when they are not cracking and leaking water into the boat. This has been a common issue on the factory installed ones, not sure if they figured out a fix for this or not yet, those things are just under a ton of stress.

Like others have said, heater is location dependent. In south eat Texas I did not order one and with my wife and kids, heater or not we would probably be done around the same time. It would make the Christmas boat parade more fun though.

EOH brakes were not an option when we ordered our boat. I'd love to find out if it retrofitable as that is something that just seems like a great safety feature and i HATE the clunk of the surge brakes. It's also huge to have trailer brakes while backing down a steep ramp with 7000 lbs pulling you backwards. I have slid the front tires a time or two.

I think needing 4x4 must be location dependent. Our ramps are so slick around Houston that you have to hold onto the bed of the truck walking down to unlatch the boat or else you will bust you rear. That being said I have never used 4x4 to pull the boat out and never had any wheel spin whatsoever. We may just have shallower angled ramps than other areas.

larry_arizona
01-25-2021, 09:10 AM
Around July our Ramps are snot slick with algae and if you don’t have 4x4 with front axle locked on dry pavement, it’s very likely for truck to slide down ramp once you release the brakes and parking brake doesn’t help because it only locks the rear brakes.

Watch any truck get pulled out of the lake that was submerged, the rear wheels are locked.

I still haven’t seen a factory surf pipe fail, I have only seen the aftermarket FAE failures.

rdlangston13
01-25-2021, 10:15 AM
I still haven’t seen a factory surf pipe fail, I have only seen the aftermarket FAE failures.

They were all over the Supra and Moomba boat owners facebook page

larry_arizona
01-25-2021, 11:47 AM
They were all over the Supra and Moomba boat owners facebook page

That explains it, would love to see the failures

Josh828
01-25-2021, 12:05 PM
I went way over budget on my mojo so trust me I've looked at every single tick on the build sheet haha

That being said I skipped the surf pipe, not a big deal to me.
Skipped the heater, heard a lot of mixed reviews of them just not working the worlds best and taking up a lot of room
But when it came to audio it was a big deal to me, I'm pretty tech savvy and was planning on doing a full audio build myself. Finally realized adding the bow speakers and the wiring for the tower speakers were worth it imo.
Then when you consider the Full audio package comes with better cabin speakers, bow speakers, amplified cabin speakers, the subwoofer, and 2 rev 10s. Its worth every penny unfortunately, you can't even buy the audio for that price much less install it.

So my one big splurge on the boat was the audio,
only other non necessities were underwater lights and the rear step on the trailer, the boat is way to tall to attempt to get into without it haha

Woody929
01-25-2021, 12:42 PM
When I ordered mine, I went for most all of the options (full audio, surf pipe, EOH, heater and a few others). I did them because for one reason or another I haven’t had them before, or I didn’t want to invest the time of doing it myself again. So as you’ve already seen, you will get a lot of thoughts on what to do.
A lot will come to personal preferences, and of the things you listed which do you really want to have.

Although, as Josh just said, the price on the audio isn’t bad, and no more free air subs.. so I couldn’t pass that up.

Also, for surge brakes backing down the ramp... one thing I used to do if I were sliding was to drop the truck into neutral so the trailer brakes would engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rdlangston13
01-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Also, for surge brakes backing down the ramp... one thing I used to do if I were sliding was to drop the truck into neutral so the trailer brakes would engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How does that work? The trailer is still pulling the truck, not pushing on it so the surge brakes would be lacking the surge required to activate

SONIC
01-25-2021, 04:54 PM
How does that work? The trailer is still pulling the truck, not pushing on it so the surge brakes would be lacking the surge required to activate

When you go out of reverse the solenoid locks out so the truck pushing on the boat will theoretically push the brakes.
In practice no idea if it works.

MJHSupra
01-25-2021, 08:42 PM
From what I read, there was a redesign to weld the inside and outside.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210126/a875f030bd56d46e964958ad20a16a59.jpg

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
01-25-2021, 08:43 PM
Another pic, but pics like this were posted by Supra and Moomba owners.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210126/70540d577056f824f5ecf5f33c2f452d.jpg

larry_arizona
01-25-2021, 09:53 PM
Yeah those cracks suck

Guppydriver
01-25-2021, 10:25 PM
When you go out of reverse the solenoid locks out so the truck pushing on the boat will theoretically push the brakes.

But on a decline (such as a ramp), would the trailer not be coasting at the same speed of the truck in neutral thus precluding any surge? I'm not a smart man Jenny so be gentle.

BigOrange
01-25-2021, 11:01 PM
From what I read, there was a redesign to weld the inside and outside.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210126/a875f030bd56d46e964958ad20a16a59.jpg

MJh, that is the factory surf pipe, no? If so, that is the first pic I’ve saw of the factory one cracking.

Isaguel
01-25-2021, 11:08 PM
Hmm, ok, I was planning on trying to order the OEM FAE through my dealer, now not so sure. I was under the impression this was an issue with the aftermarket.

SONIC
01-26-2021, 09:17 AM
But on a decline (such as a ramp), would the trailer not be coasting at the same speed of the truck in neutral thus precluding any surge? I'm not a smart man Jenny so be gentle.

Seems so to me too, like I said never tried it myself. There may be enough to just start to engage the brakes, as soon as they began to work the truck would overtake the boat and then the surge would work as designed and stop the boat.
As for whether popping into neutral will do that or not I dunno but I'm going to test it for fun next time I have it hooked up for sure. Good trick for the bag if it works.

SONIC
01-26-2021, 09:18 AM
Hmm, ok, I was planning on trying to order the OEM FAE through my dealer, now not so sure. I was under the impression this was an issue with the aftermarket.

FAE has had it worse than the OEM but there are reports of both cracking at the welds once everyone went to the single outlet exhaust.

larry_arizona
01-26-2021, 09:32 AM
Only bonus on the factory pipe is when your boat sinks, liability would be with SC.

sandm
01-26-2021, 12:30 PM
Only bonus on the factory pipe is when your boat sinks, liability would be with SC.

and that's a bonus? what I'm amazed with is that these are failing, no matter the frequency it's happening more than just once and doesn't seem to be a widespread recall? both from oem and fae?

sandm
01-26-2021, 12:36 PM
Seems so to me too, like I said never tried it myself. There may be enough to just start to engage the brakes, as soon as they began to work the truck would overtake the boat and then the surge would work as designed and stop the boat.
As for whether popping into neutral will do that or not I dunno but I'm going to test it for fun next time I have it hooked up for sure. Good trick for the bag if it works.

last fall we were heading down the ramp truck first. at the bottom I spun around and started backing the boat in. once the trailer tires are in the water I let the gf take over to dump and go park the rig and I tend to the boat. I went to stop about 20ft from boat at the water and we kept sliding toward the water backwards. we slid for about 10ft. I'm not really sure whether or not sheer weight, a patch of good pavement or the trailer brakes finally stopped us BUT I can say that during that few seconds I about $hit myself and no way I would have had the reaction time to pop the truck into neutral IF that would have stopped us. it all happened so fast. I can bet it's the same situation with those that end up vehicle in the water. it was a good lesson and quite a few takeaways for us.
I still can chuckle at vehicles that end up in the water but it almost happened to us and if it never happens to anyone again that would be a good thing.

larry_arizona
01-26-2021, 12:54 PM
and that's a bonus? what I'm amazed with is that these are failing, no matter the frequency it's happening more than just once and doesn't seem to be a widespread recall? both from oem and fae?

Was laced with a generous amount of sarcasm, but seriously, it would fall back on SC as a manufacturer defect.

larry_arizona
01-26-2021, 12:56 PM
last fall we were heading down the ramp truck first. at the bottom I spun around and started backing the boat in. once the trailer tires are in the water I let the gf take over to dump and go park the rig and I tend to the boat. I went to stop about 20ft from boat at the water and we kept sliding toward the water backwards. we slid for about 10ft. I'm not really sure whether or not sheer weight, a patch of good pavement or the trailer brakes finally stopped us BUT I can say that during that few seconds I about $hit myself and no way I would have had the reaction time to pop the truck into neutral IF that would have stopped us. it all happened so fast. I can bet it's the same situation with those that end up vehicle in the water. it was a good lesson and quite a few takeaways for us.
I still can chuckle at vehicles that end up in the water but it almost happened to us and if it never happens to anyone again that would be a good thing.

Most trucks end in the water after driver exists truck and takes foot off brakes. Once the foundation brakes release the truck on a slick ramp is free to slide into the lake

Guppydriver
01-26-2021, 01:26 PM

Wow!

So you weren't even close to the water? That's insane. What kind of grade is your ramp???? Was it gravel? I'd still be trying to get that pair of underwear clean.

Guppydriver
01-26-2021, 01:28 PM

I'd honestly have the boat configurator up on my Iphone before I even had a chance to say "Don't ever let go Rose", to my wife.

larry_arizona
01-26-2021, 01:33 PM
I'd honestly have the boat configurator up on my Iphone before I even had a chance to say "Don't ever let go Rose", to my wife.

Love it!!!! A man with his priorities in order.

arsnlgunnr
01-26-2021, 01:51 PM

Hahaha!

Wife: Are you calling for help!?

Guppy: no I’m posting to the Moomba forum to see what people think of this color scheme

rdlangston13
01-26-2021, 01:55 PM

On a ramp all the pressure would be on the front of the ball pulling the truck backwards. being in neutral and still on the brakes is not going to shift the pressure to the back of the ball to compress the master cylinder. Going backwards down hill with surge brakes on the trailer in every scenario would be no functional brakes on the trailer.

sandm
01-26-2021, 02:06 PM
Wow!

So you weren't even close to the water? That's insane. What kind of grade is your ramp???? Was it gravel? I'd still be trying to get that pair of underwear clean.

we were 20ft from the water. it was wet quite a ways up the ramp from the fishing guys pulling out. they show up at 4 or 5am and off the water by 9ish.
ramps are concrete and not crazy steep but the grooves that most ramps have are hit and miss at mead since they have poured so many new ramps from the lake levels dropping.

LOVE your response on the boat builder up. funny chit......