PDA

View Full Version : Newbie buyer need advise

Holdmybeer
01-18-2021, 08:46 AM
First off, this site has helped so much with my research for buying my first "real" boat.
So thank you all for the real life opinions and advise I have read over the last 9 months.

Secondly, I had to register to ask my own question and I need help. So here it goes.

Been in I/Os my whole life. Learned and taught many people to ski, kneeboard, and even wakeboard, but of course nothing compared to being in a dedicated wake boat. Fast forward to today and I have the luxury of actually shopping for what I want (within budget which is why Moomba).
I tried shopping new but in Ohio inventory is limited and the boat show deals of past looks to be long gone.
My current options within budget is a great optioned out 2017 Mojo 250hr, upgraded flow 2.0, auto wake raptor 400, etc. (You guys know the boat) for $62k.
Next I can get a super clean 2007 Malibu V-ride for $22k power wedge, titan 3 tower, suck-gate, upgraded bags, 435hrs (seriously looks new)

Long term the moomba will last and fit our crew for life. The Bu I'm scared we will out grow but the budget is pay cash and enjoy.

Again this is for Ohio so 4 months of water time. It's also for kids and family not pro by any means. What would you guys do? I know dont buy a malibu blah blah blah I expect the hate....lol.

Josh828
01-18-2021, 09:36 AM
I went through the same thing, wanted a 20k boat just buy and go, which turned into a used 16 mojo with 225 hours for around the same price I think, now I have a brand new mojo getting built so actually I might not have the best advice.

I say think of what the mojo can do that the Malibu can not. If the Malibu Is really that clean it will probably hold its value as the mojo will continue to lose a little, however its 10 years newer.

I only have 4-5 months of lake weather as well however think of it as the boat will always have lower hours, so you can buy the more expensive boat since it will hold its value longer haha

But really what is going to be important to you? Are you going to be happy with the Malibu or wanting to trade next season?

Holdmybeer
01-18-2021, 09:49 AM
Here are the 2 boats I am talking about.2933929338ATTACH=CONFIG]29340[/ATTACH]

Josh828
01-18-2021, 10:41 AM
How big is your typical crew? Because the max is Massive, 102" beam seating for 17

SONIC
01-18-2021, 10:47 AM
It's really just what you're comfortable with, price on both boats looks good.

I agree above, the malibu isn't going to depreciate much more, 20K for a vdrive anything is a good price.
The Moomba will depreciate, but it's also a bigger boat that will do most everything better than the malibu.

The malibu is a low freeboard boat as well, so take into account what size lakes you're going to be on as that boat's not going to be fun when it gets rough.
21ft gets small when you have more than 4 people in the boat, but is easier to maneuver and more fun to drive than the 23'. Comes down to your normal crew size I think.

The Bu would be a great boat to make sure you like it and are going to use it with minimal risk, if you find you don't go often enough you're not going to be out anything as you can sell it again at the same price next year or the year after, with the Mojo if you decide you don't want it you'll likely lose some money especially with the new '21 mojo redesign.

To summarize that convoluted mess:
If you're confident you're going to use it and you will be with more then 4 people I'd go Moomba (or any other larger boat).
Just testing the waters go Malibu.

larry_arizona
01-18-2021, 10:51 AM
Sent you a link to several new 2021 moombas in Michigan, check your PM.

They are doing the “no boat show” boat show this week and I can tell you they are doing deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holdmybeer
01-18-2021, 10:53 AM
How big is your typical crew? Because the max is Massive, 102" beam seating for 17

Typical crew is 4-6 adults and 5 kids from age 6 to 13.
Most still like tubing so need to store that.

We have made it on a 21SS Crownline but it sucks.

Been in a friend's VTX with 4 adults and 3 kids and that was crowded.
The used Mojo is winning in the size and space range.

I have looked at a new Max for the same reasons. And cost is closer to my range over a new mojo. Wife still wants to ski so tje mojo appears to do that better than the max also.

SONIC
01-18-2021, 11:03 AM
With a crew that size I'd say that puts the Malibu out of the running. Just IMO, that's people sitting on top of people territory lol

mgswake
01-18-2021, 12:41 PM
Buckeye Sports in Akron has a 2021 Craz. good all around boat for ski, surf, wakeboard. 85k

sandm
01-18-2021, 12:51 PM
With a crew that size I'd say that puts the Malibu out of the running. Just IMO, that's people sitting on top of people territory lol

agree. that pic of the vride has 7 adults and they are basically sitting shoulder to shoulder. no way you're stuffing 5 kids on that boat in the pic.

I wouldn't let the wifey skiing deter any boat. none of the floating bathtubs are going to ski well-especially with 10+ people on board and I would be surprised if she notices a night and day difference between the mojo and max.

if you buy the malibu as your skills progress in boarding/surfing my gut is you will quickly outgrow that boat in terms of ballast capability. as sonic states you can sell for what you paid but the hassle of selling when you could do it once.

based on first post your family spends some time on the water so it should be a question of buy now and then buy again later or buy now at a higher price and enjoy.

rdlangston13
01-18-2021, 01:07 PM
Typical crew is 4-6 adults and 5 kids from age 6 to 13.
Most still like tubing so need to store that.

We have made it on a 21SS Crownline but it sucks.

Been in a friend's VTX with 4 adults and 3 kids and that was crowded.
The used Mojo is winning in the size and space range.

I have looked at a new Max for the same reasons. And cost is closer to my range over a new mojo. Wife still wants to ski so tje mojo appears to do that better than the max also.

With that many people I'd be looking at a Makai haha. So out of these two options I saw for sure the Mojo wins.

Holdmybeer
01-18-2021, 04:20 PM
You guys are awesome with the feedback.

Who ever mentioned the Craz in Akron....I called on it and the Max they had. I just don't want that payment for 15-20 years.
I cam do the used Mojo for 12 and save the $200/month for gas, upgrades, and beer.

Also, I like the look of the Mojo out of all 3. It looks like the Bu is certainly out. Again, just wasn't sure about spending the coin. If we lived on the water and could leave stuff at the dock I would have bought the Bu already.

Now just have to get the logics worked out....Mojo is out of state..haha

sandm
01-18-2021, 04:39 PM
if you have to ship it, use uship. I used that website to send my boat from slc to tennessee and our last boat from okc to lv. was around $1300 each time.

Isaguel
01-18-2021, 05:13 PM
You'll love the Mojo. It has a surprisingly large amount of storage. Nice thing, the wakeboards and surfboards, ski's all fit in the rear lockers when traveling/towing. I had a similar size crew, the Mojo handled it nicely. It has a good size bow, the older kids would always sit up front, anywhere from 3-5 teenager's up front in bow sitting area. Lots of underseat, bow and under observer seat storage for all the coolers, snacks and towel bags. For your needs, it is a no contest, Mojo all the way.

mgswake
01-18-2021, 05:49 PM
You guys are awesome with the feedback.

Who ever mentioned the Craz in Akron....

Sorry, the webpage says in stock. I am from Kent, but live in Philadelphia now. I was at their showroom over Christmas. If you live in driving distance go take a look. They have tons of boats in the showroom. It's like mini boat show. Many different brands as well.

Holdmybeer
01-18-2021, 10:39 PM
Just found out tonight that the 2017 mojo was sold out fr under me.
Have a 2015 with 545hrs a lot more local.

Am I missing anything important going with a 15 over a newer mojo? Is autowake worth it? Are the powered wake plates better than the manual flow tabs? Can that be upgraded later?

Sorry for all the questions just salty how the deal or lack of deal went.

That Guy
01-18-2021, 10:51 PM
I'm in Ohio and would buy that Malibu tomorrow, cash in hand, so I vote you buy the Mojo and send me the sellers info, haha.

sandm
01-18-2021, 11:48 PM
my .02. that is the first year mojo I'd look at. mojo's prior were different hull and some said more wakeboard-centric. the manual tabs would be a no-go for me as well. I dealt with a suckgate for a couple outings and hated having to mess with it.
check onlyinboards. there's a lot of boats out there and frankly if it was my coin I'd search out something with less hours but some don't mind a lot of hours.
shows several mojo's in the 15-17 range priced in the low60's and half the hours above.

and fwiw if you find a boat you like, remember that if you want to take the night to sleep on it and put a deposit down tomorrow, someone else said the same thing and their tomorrow is today. having sold 2 boats private party, first one with a wired deposit wins.

Holdmybeer
01-19-2021, 12:16 AM
Guys, thanks again.
Pulled the trigger on the 2015 Mojo tonight.
Already upgraded to seadeck, full maintenance records, 1100's in the rear.

Doesn't have the autowake which is why I was able to get the cost down.
I figure I can upgrade to GSA at a later date. Anyway mid 50's felt fair to me.

sandm
01-19-2021, 12:19 AM
congrats. post up pics once you take delivery... all records is a HUGE bonus and good peace of mind.... sounds like a great price.

SONIC
01-19-2021, 09:12 AM
Congrats man, post up some photos!

cucv
01-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Congrats on the purchase! Was it at a dealer or private sale? What did you get forca finance rate for a used boat?

2005 Tige 22v

That Guy
01-19-2021, 06:01 PM
Nice!

How about the sellers info on that malibu....?

Isaguel
01-19-2021, 07:30 PM
Nice, congrats. Post some pics.

Holdmybeer
01-20-2021, 08:50 AM
Pics to follow once it is officially in my driveway. Don't want to celebrate too early.
Already shopping new boards and gear. Trying not to get ahead of myself.

That guy, hit me up with PM

Holdmybeer
01-23-2021, 01:27 AM
So cannot sleep.
Everything cleared....pick it up tomorrow.

Sneak peak