PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Moomba max Vs 2018 Centurion Ri237

Ccoolliioo97
01-16-2021, 09:00 PM
Hey guys. I'm new here but I'm curious if anyone has actually ridden these two boats and surfed behind them.. I can buy a used 2018 moomba max for 80k Canadian or I can buy a used 2018 centurion ri237 ("supposedly" the best wakesurf boat on earth) for $130k

Has anyone surfed on both and can tell me if its worth the extra 50k? Or if after some tweeking you can make the moomba max wake almost as good as the centurion? I know were not comparing apples to apples when it comes to trim.. yes the centurion has heated seats and a bunch of other bs. Im not interested in that. Im strictly speaking. Wake to wake. Can u make a moomba wake like a centurion and is the 50k extra not worth it?

Thank you in advance for your input! Also curious about axis a22 wake. It looks way cleaner and bigger in videos but everyone says the moomba can crush it if done properly! Im financing the boat. So 50k is only like $200 a month difference. So if its an absolutely massive difference and umcomparably better ill go centurion. But if its like. Yeah its a bit cleaner and stronger.. then ill go for the max!!

Also I live in north Canada.. our lakes are frozen right now. So demoing these boats is not an option. And I need the boat for start of season for my new business. So sadly.its research only for these bad boys and no actual experience before purchase. Thank you for your help!

UNSTUCK
01-16-2021, 10:37 PM
The max can give you a wave that most professional surfers would be happy with. No problems there. However, I do not think I’d pick a max if I was using the boat for any kind of business venture with clients or perspective clients. The max is a very loud boat compared to all of the higher end boats I have owned or been on. This could be problematic for your business, depending on what it is. You will be almost yelling to talk to people. If your business is a boat rental one, buy the max and let your customers destroy it, because they will.

brad460
01-16-2021, 10:47 PM
Seems like an odd comparison...choice between a 80k boat and a 130k boat?! Is there nothing in between?

What is the whole story behind this...the only two boat available in your area?

KnoxMojo
01-16-2021, 11:11 PM
The max is a very loud boat compared to all of the higher end boats I have owned or been on. This could be problematic for your business, depending on what it is. You will be almost yelling to talk to people.

They can indeed be loud, but $50 or so in cheap amazon peel and stick sound deadening mat and an hour or so install time remedies the loudness pretty well. I did it to my Mojo and the SA. The transmission hatch area and wall behind the seat to the engine bay, helps so much.

Guppydriver
01-16-2021, 11:58 PM
Ri237 has an amazing wave without question.

Also.. No was a Max wave “crushes” an Axis A22. Subjectively better with some work...sure. They are both good waves.

dakota4ce
01-17-2021, 12:22 AM
The max can give you a wave that most professional surfers would be happy with. No problems there. However, I do not think I’d pick a max if I was using the boat for any kind of business venture with clients or perspective clients. The max is a very loud boat compared to all of the higher end boats I have owned or been on. This could be problematic for your business, depending on what it is. You will be almost yelling to talk to people. If your business is a boat rental one, buy the max and let your customers destroy it, because they will.

To the OP ^^^^ this above is GROSSLY overstated. I own a Max. It’s louder than some boats, but is by no means problematically loud. It is no louder than my $140k SL was, and that’s not a particularly loud boat. Plus if that’s the issue, spend $80 and Dynamat the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haknslash
01-17-2021, 01:06 AM
I don’t find myself yelling in my Max when cruising even with my wife sitting in the back corner.

As for Ri vs Max, completely different playing fields. I don’t know if it’s a 50k better wave or not but the boats are in way different price segments.

I think you need to buy these boats based off demoing them so as much as you may not want to hear it, I’d recommend waiting until Spring or whenever you can actually demo the boats you’re interested in. Keep in mind you can’t really judge a wave based off a dealer demo unless you know how to setup the wave and possibly bring some lead to simulate crew size.

haknslash
01-17-2021, 01:22 AM
Cruising sound clip for reference....

https://youtu.be/7xLLWb3wn6s

haknslash
01-17-2021, 01:25 AM
And this is what it sounds like with a lot of ballast and when you forget to set cruise for surf speeds and your wife floors it :D

https://youtu.be/CuJlHr1JDEQ

sandm
01-17-2021, 02:16 AM
I surfed a ri237 3 months ago. One of the best waves i have surfed. If money was not a question i would take it over max but id just order an sa at 130k..

2in2out
01-17-2021, 02:54 AM
If this is for a business, I would go with the vessel with the lowest overhead costs. Having 6 months of operating reserves is crucial. I know you say it’s just a couple hundred a month difference, but so is stability and regret. And, you are $50k closer to a second boat.

larry_arizona
01-17-2021, 09:41 AM
They can indeed be loud, but $50 or so in cheap amazon peel and stick sound deadening mat and an hour or so install time remedies the loudness pretty well. I did it to my Mojo and the SA. The transmission hatch area and wall behind the seat to the engine bay, helps so much.

Sounds like a good idea for any boat......added ballast is a bonus, that mat is heavy.

Trans hatch, back seat wall and even the engine divider walls. I bet that add 75# in mat weight

Isaguel
01-17-2021, 11:52 AM
I surfed a ri237 3 months ago. One of the best waves i have surfed. If money was not a question i would take it over max but id just order an sa at 130k..

I like the idea, I just don't think you can get an SA for 130k new anymore. You're thinking pre-Covid pricing.

But, OP's question needs context. What business, is it rental or are u using it to entertain potential clients?. Also potential revenue stream matters. Are we talking about making 3- 4 figures or 5-6 figures/client. That speaks to the level of clientele and hence the type of boat you need.
If renting, just getting the cheapest, if entertaining potential heavy hitter investors, then you need to dress to impress!

larry_arizona
01-17-2021, 12:06 PM
You can still buy new SA in the $130’s depending on options

2in2out
01-17-2021, 12:24 PM
There are several individuals who give wake and surf lessons here in the Tahoe area. Most are running A22’s, with their clientele being out of area tourists who can afford a week rental on the lake, plus 4 hrs of lessons at $200/head.

Some use higher end boats, but are offsetting their own boat costs by doing lessons as they are residents, and it’s just what they do (ski/board all winter, surf and wake all summer). They rent their houses out when they go on vacation, and a couple of times a month they make a years worth of boat payments. I’m jealous to some extent.

If you look at any boat rental company, they almost always buy a prior depreciated asset, unless they are tied to a dealership and get dealer pricing and write-off’s.

The complexity of the high end boats creates issues in that renters don’t have the bandwidth to absorb how to properly set up the boat, and can damage systems. They want to turn key and go. The A22 is simple enough to get a wave. Fill it full and throttle forward. The ri, like the upper end Moombas, Supra’s, bu’s, etc, has nuance to its set-up, and to understand that nuance takes time, patience, and understanding which are not the characteristics of the rental and weekender experience warrior.

sandm
01-17-2021, 01:19 PM
If you look at any boat rental company, they almost always buy a prior depreciated asset, unless they are tied to a dealership and get dealer pricing and write-off’s.

as a business model, I think you will find most buy new, depreciate over a few years and sell off once age/hours deem so. they will have an "in" with a dealer for new purchases every few years that may or may not get a discount above what you and I get.
buying a used or depreciated any toy are buying someone's issues and most rental companies want a current model for repairs/parts and needs to be reliable for the client. there's a reason avis/hertz/enterprise don't buy used cars for their fleets and sell once they hit the magic mileage/age. there are some I'm sure that use used equipment but the 3 that I have had experience with all bought new products and use until depreciated.

I do agree that most rental companies are going to buy the basic stripped versions for the complexities of setting them up you mention.

j.mo
01-17-2021, 01:26 PM
There are several individuals who give wake and surf lessons here in the Tahoe area. Most are running A22’s, with their clientele being out of area tourists who can afford a week rental on the lake, plus 4 hrs of lessons at $200/head.

Some use higher end boats, but are offsetting their own boat costs by doing lessons as they are residents, and it’s just what they do (ski/board all winter, surf and wake all summer). They rent their houses out when they go on vacation, and a couple of times a month they make a years worth of boat payments. I’m jealous to some extent.

The complexity of the high end boats creates issues in that renters don’t have the bandwidth to absorb how to properly set up the boat, and can damage systems. They want to turn key and go. The A22 is simple enough to get a wave. Fill it full and throttle forward. The ri, like the upper end Moombas, Supra’s, bu’s, etc, has nuance to its set-up, and to understand that nuance takes time, patience, and understanding which are not the characteristics of the rental and weekender experience warrior.

You live in Tahoe?
I was just up there yesterday lol.

larry_arizona
01-17-2021, 02:23 PM
Now that I think of it, $130k for a 3 year old Ri237 sounds high unless it has a supercharged engine

Chuds
01-17-2021, 03:30 PM
Larry OP is from Canada and the $130k would be in Canadian funds so not a bad price for what we pay for boats up here.

larry_arizona
01-17-2021, 03:41 PM
Larry OP is from Canada and the $130k would be in Canadian funds so not a bad price for what we pay for boats up here.

Thank you sir, I missed that

2in2out
01-17-2021, 03:48 PM
You live in Tahoe?
I was just up there yesterday lol.

I live in Reno, just minutes away. Funny thing is, I’ve never been on any other boat in Tahoe except a Sevelor raft when I was like 10 yrs old. I’ve lived here all my life, but it just wasn’t worth fighting the crowds and pm winds to boat there.

j.mo
01-17-2021, 05:25 PM
I live in Reno, just minutes away. Funny thing is, I’ve never been on any other boat in Tahoe except a Sevelor raft when I was like 10 yrs old. I’ve lived here all my life, but it just wasn’t worth fighting the crowds and pm winds to boat there.

I don’t boat there either. Gf parents have a house in glenbrook and a cobalt on a buoy there.
We don’t take our boat there, and I don’t even get in the water on the cobalt lol.

Josh828
01-18-2021, 09:48 AM
Im really curious on the business, then wouldn't a new boat be a much better tax write off? Also gotta think warranty on each of the boats

haknslash
01-18-2021, 09:21 PM
A friend of a friend does something similar with his Malibu. He rents it out during the summer and he said he makes a killing. He mentioned it pays for the boat and then some within the first few years. He has lake rental properties to so he is used to the game apparently. I couldn’t do something like that with my own pride amd joy boat. However if I were doing it as a business I could see it would be very lucrative if you’re on an active lake where there are rental boats.