PDA

View Full Version : Window tint

2in2out
01-09-2021, 08:40 PM
My wife commented last night that she thinks we should get the windshield tinted on our boat. She was asking about it because she doesn’t always want to wear her sunglasses when she drives. I told her that because of the refraction off the water that she would probably still need her sunglasses, and that late evening and night driving would be impeded. I occasionally like to take an evening booze cruise or get a sunset set in.

I think the consensus on the forum is 20% to be effective for windscreen tint.

Pros: would cut down on dash heat and offer more shading.

Cons: reduced vis in evening, low sun angle, or low light.

Anyone with tint please chime in. What are your experiences? Does anyone think that it would be worth it to tint to keep my wife from having to drive through her scratched up, unclean, gas station specs? I know they say Whataburger on them, but FFS, even they can only handle so much abuse.

j.mo
01-09-2021, 08:58 PM
I have done 5% on all my boats.
I wouldn’t go any other way personally.
However I do not drive through the windshield like a vehicle and I really don’t know anyone that does.
5% looks much better. Adds a bit of privacy from. Distance I’d suppose.

Go 5 and don’t look back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
01-09-2021, 09:07 PM
I also drive above my windshield, once you get it covered in spray, you can’t see it anyway.

My vote is 5%

sandm
01-10-2021, 01:21 AM
Had it on our last boat. Was dark. Tore off after first season and wont ever do again.
If you ever do try ti drive sitting it sucks.

That was our opinion fwiw....

larry_arizona
01-10-2021, 08:20 AM
Had it on our last boat. Was dark. Tore off after first season and wont ever do again.
If you ever do try ti drive sitting it sucks.

That was our opinion fwiw....

I drive sitting and still see over the windshield.

Power seat up 100% and I don’t even flip up the bolster.

2in2out
01-10-2021, 11:24 AM
My wife is short, and doesn’t stand or use the bolster. I appreciate the advice guys. I may throw tint on when we sell. Otherwise, I’ll just get her a big hat and gas station glasses.

KnoxMojo
01-10-2021, 12:10 PM
5 percent all day... keeps the dash so much cooler and provides much needed shade for the kids

996scott
01-10-2021, 12:52 PM
I don't see a real benefit with tint at all. Never drive through the windshield like others have said so i don't really see a need for it.

larry_arizona
01-10-2021, 01:02 PM
The driving factor for me is aesthetics.

Especially with the new Supra frameless windshield.

KnoxMojo
01-10-2021, 01:05 PM
I don't see a real benefit with tint at all. Never drive through the windshield like others have said so i don't really see a need for it.

I didn't either until I had a family, now I'll tint every boat we have, the shade and keeping dash temps down is a huge benefit.

russellsmojo
01-10-2021, 01:51 PM
I didn't either until I had a family, now I'll tint every boat we have, the shade and keeping dash temps down is a huge benefit.

Exactly! It does cool dash and some of the seating depending on sun angle. I don’t like it at night so just look over or stand up and drive. Won’t have a boat without!

Guppydriver
01-10-2021, 04:58 PM
I know regions vary...

But ballpark...reputable enough place with good google reviews

What's a ballpark price for windshield tint??

I may have to set some cash aside

larry_arizona
01-10-2021, 05:04 PM
$300-$500

Most shops can’t do the Supra windshields as they are a duo-curve glass. Tint likes to only stretch in one direction.

Supras can be done but you need a shop that knows the trick.

Hoping the new 2021 windshields got rid of the duo curve.

j.mo
01-10-2021, 05:08 PM
I know regions vary...

But ballpark...reputable enough place with good google reviews

What's a ballpark price for windshield tint??

I may have to set some cash aside

I paid 160 a while back. I’ve been quoted anywhere from $180-$1100 [emoji23]

MJHSupra
01-10-2021, 11:05 PM
160 is a really smoking deal. Most recently I think I paid 375 or 400 around Knoxville on the SL. The company used Lumar.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210111/11d3dce740db95b6b153746ff5f21393.jpg

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Guppydriver
01-10-2021, 11:15 PM
I paid 160 a while back. I’ve been quoted anywhere from $180-$1100 [emoji23]

I can do $500...max

$1100.....Not so much

Guppydriver
01-10-2021, 11:20 PM
$300-$500

Most shops can’t do the Supra windshields as they are a duo-curve glass. Tint likes to only stretch in one direction.

Supras can be done but you need a shop that knows the trick.

Hoping the new 2021 windshields got rid of the duo curve.

Yeah...

I was going to do a loaded SE with bow thrusters and the 575 motor, but then I saw that duo curve windshield and was like..."Oh hell no..I'm going with a entry level brand".

8-)8-)8-)8-)

sandm
01-11-2021, 11:52 PM
Most shops can’t do the Supra windshields as they are a duo-curve glass.

ok so time to teach me something. what's duo curve glass and unique to supra? I look at our old z3 and old supra 20ssv and the windshield looks like it has a lot more to it as it curves around the corner and down the side. the supra looks to be a 5 piece windscreen with separate side pieces vs 3 piece and curves to the end.

larry_arizona
01-12-2021, 08:56 AM
ok so time to teach me something. what's duo curve glass and unique to supra? I look at our old z3 and old supra 20ssv and the windshield looks like it has a lot more to it as it curves around the corner and down the side. the supra looks to be a 5 piece windscreen with separate side pieces vs 3 piece and curves to the end.

Taylor made makes the 2018-2020 Supra windshields with what they call duo-curve glass.

The duo-curve means the glass curves side to side like every boat windshield, but it also has a slight curve top to bottom.

If you look in the outside corner of the windshield, “duo curve” is stamped into the glass.

It’s the two direction curvature of the glass that makes tinting Supras difficult as tint typically likes to only stretch in one direction.

sandm
01-12-2021, 12:40 PM
got it.
it's not a lot different than some car rear windows. our old eclipse gst had 2 refuse before 1 did it.
imo a lot of the tint shops are fly by night. finding a reputable shop that has been around the block should yield a good job if they know the biz.

a quick yelp search in vegas yields 200+ tint shops. I bet over half would jack it up :)

larry_arizona
01-12-2021, 12:45 PM
got it.
it's not a lot different than some car rear windows. our old eclipse gst had 2 refuse before 1 did it.
imo a lot of the tint shops are fly by night. finding a reputable shop that has been around the block should yield a good job if they know the biz.

a quick yelp search in vegas yields 200+ tint shops. I bet over half would jack it up :)

Absolutely, I found a tint shop that understands multi curve glass tinting.

MJHSupra
01-12-2021, 12:51 PM

For sure. When I spoke to the local guy here, he already mentioned that window item to me when we spoke on the phone. He did a SA before my boat and knew all about it. Said he could handle it and make it look good. That's what he did.

KnoxMojo
01-12-2021, 03:59 PM
For sure. When I spoke to the local guy here, he already mentioned that window item to me when we spoke on the phone. He did a SA before my boat and knew all about it. Said he could handle it and make it look good. That's what he did.

You are welcome, lol...they practiced a couple times on mine before figuring out they needed to use a thinner more pliable film. The orange SA also came out really nice.

sandm
01-12-2021, 04:52 PM
they practiced a couple times on mine before figuring out they needed to use a thinner more pliable film.

we tore the film off our last z3 that the guy had put on. I would not wish that job on ANYONE. it took 2 of us almost 5hrs and almost a 1/4gallon of goof off to remove it all. film came off easy but man the glue.... what a mess.

MJHSupra
01-12-2021, 05:11 PM
You are welcome, lol...they practiced a couple times on mine before figuring out they needed to use a thinner more pliable film. The orange SA also came out really nice.

Yes, special thanks to the "Ron Burgundy" and probably the "CreamSicle"