PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT BUY - 2021 Liquid Force Carbon Horizon Foil Set

Vati' Gang
12-29-2020, 11:26 PM
I want to give a buyer beware on this foil set and point out some things that I have noticed in the first 10min trying to set it up.

TLDR - The LF Carbon Foil is pretty much an unusable product, in fact you can't even put it together without damaging it. I'll go in order of points as I encountered them.

1) It seems that you can only use the Nebula Board with this foil (Assuming as this is the board you get with the full kit). I am coming from a Liquid Force Pod Foil set and am unable to use the board. I am not sure if this applies to the other "Gen 1" foil boards from LF as I only own the pod foil. There is a slight ridge that runs down the center of the Pod foil board and on the Pod Foil set this was leveled out with a plastic separator. The carbon fiber mast has a flat base and can't be put on the board given the ridge. Why not use the plastic separator? You are unable to use the plastic separator as the bolts provided are not long enough. If lucky you'll get a half turn before you start to hear cracking sounds coming from the carbon fiber.

2) This brings me to my second point. All across the foil the bolts contact the carbon fiber directly, no washers, no plastic padding, nothing. I was not able to tighten any aspect of the foil without encountering some form of cracking noise. Maybe this is fine but it can't be good if your are constantly tightening and untightening the bolts (Like the manual suggests).

3) The screws provided for the mast-fuselage connection are to long. At least I found the rear bolt is. After using the bolts per the manual, I tightened them as much as I could without doing damage to the carbon fiber. At this point the fuselage would wiggle and was not secure. I was able to solve this by using a shorter bolt intended for a different area of foil.

At this point I stopped putting it together, there was no point. God forbid I void the warranty for over-tightening the bolts. I will now need to buy another board most likely. Not that big of a deal really, but nowhere does does LF mention which of their boards are compatible.

For a 2k product this is pretty frustrating.

pedel
12-29-2020, 11:45 PM
Thanks for sharing this. We looked at the nebula, but just bought the pod foil full setup. We’re you happy with the pod?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vati' Gang
12-29-2020, 11:54 PM
Yes super happy with the Pod Foil, spent so many hours riding. Mainly rode second wave and some third.

From my experience, we needed to set up the wave specially for the foil to get the most out of it. We would foil at 10.6 instead of our normal 11.2 for surfing.

Foil was very responsive and you can make quick turns / cuts. It has enough lift so that you can pump and do transfers. Its not great at anything flat water (that's what brought me towards the carbon foil set with larger surface area wing).

pedel
12-30-2020, 03:39 AM
Awesome thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
12-30-2020, 11:37 AM
That is an expensive rig to have fitment issues.

Unless it clearly states it’s not compatible with other boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vati' Gang
12-30-2020, 12:03 PM
I reached out to Liquid Force regarding my concerns. They informed me that the all liquid force boards (And all other boards with a foil track) should be compatible.

For the overtightening concerns and cracking noises, they recommended that I use a significant amount of the included gel and this should help.

I could make the carbon foil set fit the pod foil board with longer bolts and using the spacer from the other foil set. However, it seems like a slap in the face when the user manual literally shows the set being used with a pod foil board.