PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Mobius XLV tower removal for storage

MPANEPINTO
12-29-2020, 10:49 AM
Hey, does anyone out there remove their rad-a-cage for winter storage in a garage? My buddy and I tried EVERYTHING to try to fit this boat with the tower folded in a garage with 7 foot door. Won't make it. Dropped front of trailer to floor on a special made dolly, removed front tandem wheels etc etc....

MJHSupra
12-29-2020, 11:34 AM
That's a lot of work to remove a tower to be able to store in a garage. It takes a smaller arm and a little twisting to get your arm to access the bolts from the inside. I have read about people stripping the screws from the outside by trying to tighten/loosen them via a screwdriver. Thus people have recommended starting from the inside bolts.

This topic comes up when people are trying to replace the pads between the tower and boat. I have not heard of people removing for winter storage.

I would be looking for a new storage location before I did that.

Good luck if you go the tower route.

sandm
12-29-2020, 01:14 PM
I would be looking for a new storage location before I did that.

so true. not sure where the OP is located but in WI we paid $240 for oct to apr storage in a heated garage we had ZERO access to for the duration. sure there's other options in different states if you look around but it's late in the year for this season.

now been a long time since I've looked at a rad a cage and iirc the supra and moomba are somewhat different but since it has at least 1 pivot point, could you remove the connections at the pivot and replace with something that is easier to remove each season? quick release pins/nut and knob or something? leaving the feet intact at the hull? I don't recall that the hard parts that don't pivot up and down being a whole lot taller than the windshield.

either way good luck...

MPANEPINTO
12-29-2020, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, guys! I'm in Massachusetts, btw. I'm torn here. I do think it's a lot of work to get the tower off, but then it's in a heated garage and I can work on it all winter. Spoke to a guy from a marina and he doesn't seem to think it's a bad idea. Other half of me thinks that most people have their boats sitting wrapped out in the snow all winter and it's fine.....

996scott
12-29-2020, 03:02 PM
I have never removed a rad a cage completely but i had to replace a bolt that snapped and it was a real pain in the arse!. Almost no room to get your hand in there to get to the bolt, but it can be done. It would be really tough to remove the whole thing. That being said, i can tell you that having your boat in your heated garage over the winter is awesome. I love being able to work on projects in the winter. If you had some work that needed to be done over the winter it might be worth the effort. If you didn't have anything you really needed to work on then leaving it out might make more sense.

VA LSV
12-29-2020, 09:38 PM
The base screws will have nuts and lock washers on the inside. My tower mount screws kept working loose so I replaced the lock washers and nuts with nylon lock nuts. Tight working space and arm twisting is an understatement plus the fiber glass poking you doesn't make it any easier. Be prepared to drop several nuts and washers so make sure to get some spares. My LSV has the 3 point tower mount with the tower that folds forward so different tower. Keep in mind the tower will be heavy and awkward to handle.

MJHSupra
12-30-2020, 10:29 AM
Tight working space and arm twisting is an understatement plus the fiber glass poking you doesn't make it any easier. Be prepared to drop several nuts and washers so make sure to get some spares.

So you're saying there should be some cussing involved? Ha Ha

Branden967
12-30-2020, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the quick replies, guys! I'm in Massachusetts, btw. I'm torn here. I do think it's a lot of work to get the tower off, but then it's in a heated garage and I can work on it all winter. Spoke to a guy from a marina and he doesn't seem to think it's a bad idea. Other half of me thinks that most people have their boats sitting wrapped out in the snow all winter and it's fine.....

I winterize mine and then shrink wrap the whole thing with the tower on. The down side is I obviously cant get to it during the winter at all, which sucks...

MJHSupra
12-30-2020, 03:45 PM
I winterize mine and then shrink wrap the whole thing with the tower on. The down side is I obviously cant get to it during the winter at all, which sucks...

Do you put any Damp-Rid in that boat sealing it up? I always use a few buckets even when I store inside.

Branden967
12-30-2020, 04:20 PM
Do you put any Damp-Rid in that boat sealing it up? I always use a few buckets even when I store inside.

I dont put any damp-rid in there. Before I shrink wrap it I open everything up and put a couple of floor dryers in there for 3 or 4 day to really dry everything out. Then on the shrink wrap itself there is 4 air vents to allow movement of air. Never had a issue or funky smells...

sandm
12-30-2020, 05:18 PM

dealer back in boise would add this stuff to any wrap that are stored outside as part of the package.
when we stored it in the label factory in wisconsin we didn't do anything to it as that building was 55deg all winter.

MPANEPINTO
01-05-2021, 10:55 AM
Damp rid is definitely not a bad idea, most people I know swear by it so I've used it. I took another look at the mounts for the tower and i don't think its going to be terrible. Rear mounts are very easily accessible, front port side not bad either. Its the front driver's side that is toughest. But once I get this thing off my buddy is going to fabricate backing plates with nuts welded onto it, so it should be easier to put back on and remove from there on out.....