PDA

View Full Version : 2021 shifter designs

arsnlgunnr
12-11-2020, 09:45 AM
Anyone else noticed the different shifter handle/ball designs on the 2021s? One looks to be a basic design and the other has some performance styling to it. I've only seen the the performance looking one on the Makai and Kaiyen.

MJHSupra
12-11-2020, 11:07 AM
I noticed that too when climbing around some boats. Assumed it was SC targeting specific audiences and wanting to specific models to 'stand out'.

Moomba entry level brand (max, mondo, etc) w/o all the nicer functions and features.
Moomba upper level brand (makai, kaiyen) w/more upgraded items.

I'm not a marketing person, but it appears there are some cutoff points when buyers are shopping for boats. All the fancier items drive up those costs each year. I'm a big fan of the boat makers trying to keep the costs down for new boat buyers.

New towboat owners might have the $75-80K price point. Buying new, they have the warranty. Otherwise, they shop for used boats w/o the warranty.

Once you start hitting the 100K price, you have buyers asking, should I get a new Moomba or buy a 2-3 year old Supra with a little more $?

sandm
12-11-2020, 11:40 AM
maybe it's just me but I couldn't even tell you how the handle was shaped in any of our boats. it's not something that makes a difference to me at all as long as it's comfortable to rest my arm and run the throttle. I'd never check a box for an upgraded handle and would rather have $100 off msrp for the basic one.

but I'm also the same person that doesn't understand the $400 tivoli wheel that some boats had as options.

996scott
12-11-2020, 11:48 AM
I do like the look of the "upgraded" shift knob but like Sandm, I'm not going to check the box and pay extra for it. My 2021 Craz has the basic shifter and there wasn't an option to upgrade it.

arsnlgunnr
12-11-2020, 12:25 PM
I was just curious if maybe there was a reason there are two different kinds, like the upgraded one comes with the 450 or 575 engine, but the boats i see it on have the 400. wouldn't pay for it either but if i had the choice i'd go with the upgraded one.

Prospersigman
12-11-2020, 01:24 PM
The upgraded one looks like the same one that is on my Supra. Having owned a Moomba and 2 Supras I prefer the shifter knob that has some texture and knurling to it over the smooth steel ball on the Moombam, but I would pay for the upgrade if it was $100 or so.

KnoxMojo
12-11-2020, 04:34 PM
The different knob may be for the thruster option vs non thruster. Not sure.

Prospersigman
12-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Can you get a thruster on a Moomba now?

KnoxMojo
12-11-2020, 04:56 PM
Can you get a thruster on a Moomba now?

Didn't realize it said Moomba, my bad, disregard