PDA

View Full Version : Tool kit

2in2out
12-04-2020, 11:45 AM
One of the last purchases I need to make before spring is a good tool kit for the 20 SA. I have on order a weekend saver kit, and will get a spare prop.

My assumption is that the boat is all SAE, and no metric. Anyone have any suggestions on assembled tool kits that would cover the most common issues?

Here is my list:
Phillips and flathead screwdriver
Needle nose pliers
Pliers
Dykes
2” Channel lock
12” and 8” crescent
3/8 “SAE socket set 1/4”-1 1/2”
SAE hex set
Impeller puller
SAE combo wrench set 1/4- 1 1/2”
1/4” nut driver
1/4” SAE sockets 3/16-1/2”
Zip ties
Razor knife
Gasket seal
Large and small vise grips
Small strap wrench
Cheap voltmeter

Can anyone suggest anything else the kit might need?

larry_arizona
12-04-2020, 11:59 AM
Hard to beat this deal

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-319-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/1001448230

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
12-04-2020, 12:12 PM
I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a 130 piece tool kit. Probably paid $20-25 with a coupon. It does not have everything on your list, but I have used it several times on the lake and got my money's worth already. Plus, it's not loss if they start rusting b/c they are in a damp boat - but still try to spray them and remove them for the winter.

I like nice tools, but not in this case sitting in the boat.

MJHSupra
12-04-2020, 12:15 PM
I have a bag with some SS hose clamps, SS screws, SS nuts bolts. Different sizes. I have left-overs from different projects over the years.

MJHSupra
12-04-2020, 12:24 PM
I see you have Gasket Sealer, I have a tube of Marine Grade Silicone Sealant. Never had to use it, but it sits in the boat vs sitting in the garage.
In the garage, it does me no good if I need it on the lake. Another left-over from boat projects over the years. I need to check that b/c it was opened and it's probably no good with all the summer heat . . . and it's at least 2 years old.

My needle-nose pliers have a wire cutter on them, I also have black electric tape. Had to use that once for a quick bilge pump fix.

SONIC
12-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Hard to beat this deal

That is in fact a hell of a deal on that.
No available on line though

I run the HF kit and it does just fine for the minimal stuff on a new boat.

Prospersigman
12-04-2020, 01:39 PM
It's $104.30 here in DFW area...not $72.29

larry_arizona
12-04-2020, 01:56 PM
It's $104.30 here in DFW area...not $72.29

Damn Texas is expensive......lol

2in2out
12-04-2020, 02:15 PM
I forgot to add:

Electrical tape
Duct tape
Silicone tape
Wire stripper/cutter/crimper
Assorted wiring connectors and shrink wrap
Hose clamps
Section of fuel line

This was everything in my dirt bike kit except all was metric.

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else please chime in.

sandm
12-04-2020, 02:22 PM
I'll probably jinx myself but in 13 years of wakeboat ownership we have never carried a single tool on board and not needed one yet.

I think we would likely carry an armada of tools if we were still in our old '06 supra as aging would have things failing but maybe we have been lucky with our newer boats.

wonder how many carry stuff like this and ever use it.

Isaguel
12-04-2020, 08:06 PM
I have 2 essentials in my boat I hope I'll never have to use, a pair of diving goggles and a box cutter/utility knife. I've actually been looking for some submersible lights with a headband. Found some on amazon but It sounded more like they were splash resistant. Those who have ever pulled a tuber know what I'm talking about.

I do have an assortment of pliers, flat and phillip's SD's, hex keys, small hammer that doubles as a bottle opener, etc. Hmm, I guess I should throw some marine sealant in the bag too.

rockymtnsurfer
12-05-2020, 09:31 AM
This magnet tool has been a life saver.....not only in the shop, but on water as well. Inexpensive and can be a time saver!

https://www.amazon.com/HARDK-Telescoping-Magnetic-Extendable-Telescopic/dp/B07YBB5958/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=magnet+extension+rod&qid=1607174951&sr=8-4

2in2out
12-05-2020, 11:22 AM
This magnet tool has been a life saver.....not only in the shop, but on water as well. Inexpensive and can be a time saver!

https://www.amazon.com/HARDK-Telescoping-Magnetic-Extendable-Telescopic/dp/B07YBB5958/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=magnet+extension+rod&qid=1607174951&sr=8-4

That’s a good call. I had one in my dirt bike box and I kept me from pulling my hair out a number of times.

haknslash
12-05-2020, 09:09 PM
Hard to beat this deal

Nice find. Just told my wife to get it for me for Christmas :)

haknslash
12-27-2020, 09:36 PM
Hard to beat this deal

Well I got my tools for Christmas. Unfortunately I can’t recommend this to anyone. The tools are decent and I don’t have an issue with them. The tool box or case itself is complete junk though. It didn’t even survive shipping to me in a protect cardboard box so there is no way it was going to survive real use. The box is not a solid single piece but rather individual panels with pins. Mine is completely broken in the bottom and across the “bridge” where it says Kobalt. Obviously this is a cheap home box store tool kit so I wasn’t expecting Snap-On level of quality but dayum the case is just completely crap design from a manufacturing perspective. It appears all of the Kobalt tool kits use the same style case too. I left a 1 star review on Lowe’s. Not sure if I will keep the tools and just buy a decent tool bag to carry them in or send it back and try to find another kit that has a better design for keeping things organized.

larry_arizona
12-28-2020, 10:22 AM
Bummer to hear about the crappy case.

Kobalt tools are midlevel in line with craftsman and husky, but better than harbor freight.

Personally, I would throw the basic tools in a $10 tool bag and you are still way ahead. No way you could get that many tools for $80.

Lowe’s has increased price to $160.

bergermaister
12-28-2020, 02:30 PM
That Kobalt case looks a bit bulky to me. (and brittle apparently) I have one of their folding cases in my RV that works great, only the allen keys tend to slip out of their respective pockets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-119-Piece-Household-Tool-Set-with-Soft-Case/1000248553

I have a much more condensed tool kit for the boat that rarely ever gets used. I figure if it's something major I'm either limping or getting towed in to do any semi-serious repairs vs bobbing around out on the water.

haknslash
12-28-2020, 04:58 PM
The nice thing about the Max is there is plenty of room to store something that big under the helm. That being said I’m likely just going to get a bag to keep the tools in and use some containers to keep the sockets and such all together. Yes it’s true I’ll likely never use most of these tools on the water but I’d rather have them than not when/if there is time to use them. I also won’t have to worry about dragging tools from my house to the boat storage any time I need to work on the boat or trailer.

bjrow
12-28-2020, 06:55 PM
I'll second the carry of a dive mask and knife.
Can at least see if debris wrapped around prop or water intake and take the appropriate action as needed to remove.
Have had to do this once and was prepared due to some former advice from a member here earlier on.
Cheers BruceR, Melbourne AUS.