PDA

View Full Version : Airbag installed - Real world towing experience?

Dank
11-19-2020, 11:23 PM
Just got some air bags installed (rear) on our 1/2 ton truck to help with sag.. just curious for any real world experiences?

good / bad?

I'll have to wait until we get another boat in the spring to test and was just curious..?

Towed a max last year - this year will hopefully be a mojo (on order).

smitty75
11-20-2020, 07:55 AM
I went with supersprings on my f150, but not really thrilled with them. They work great under load, but make a lot of noise when unloaded, especially after a leveling kit. My buddy has airbags on his Toyota and he’s been happy with them. In the spring I’m going to pull the super springs and just put a heavier payload spring kit in, or do airbags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dank
11-20-2020, 09:24 AM
...I ask because I've never had or used them before... some people swear by them (including the guy that installed them) - he's like, oh, it will make s HUGE difference..

On the other hand, there are videos out there on youtube showing (more scientifically) - that airbags actually "decrease" the tow capacity and put more weight on the rear axle and less weight on the front tires (where steering / 70% of breaking comes from).. . so just not sure what to believe in real world towing.

just driving around, slightly inflated I actually prefer the stiffer feel of the suspension, feels like less roll.

UNSTUCK
11-20-2020, 10:04 AM
Love my airbags on my ram 1500. They are a must with the soft coil springs. I installed my system with an automatic height adjusting valve. This is a must for boats. If not, once the boat is in the water your rear end goes sky high because no weight is on it anymore. You have to back much further into the water to retrieve the boat. And it looks funny. You’ll be happy with the bags though. Really helps the ride and control.

larry_arizona
11-20-2020, 10:19 AM
My F150 might drop 1” with the boat hooked up. It’s only 600-700# tongue weight.

2in2out
11-20-2020, 11:31 AM
My only experience with airbags was on my 2003 F250 7.3l diesel crew cab short box. I only marginally helped with our ride with the travel trailer.

I put a 3/1.5 leveling kit with 33”s giving 3 1/4” lift mid frame. I also added Timbrens and urethane bushings with the 1.5 shackles. Smooth ride, minimal increase in rake, and much better towing.

mmandley
11-21-2020, 10:30 AM
I'm a big believer in Air bags

I had an 06 F150 with my 08 LSV and it sagged, got the bags and all was good, I would run the bags at 15psi unloaded and 30 loaded.

Switched to 06 F350 Diesel and added bags same weights
Switched to 08 F350 Diesel and added bags same weights
Switched to 13 F150 and added the Super springs and unloaded was fine, but when i switched to 13 Mojo the truck still sagged bad
removed the super springs and added air bags and it was better but not great - I blame this on 1/2 ton truck lol

Finally got a Ram 2500 with Rear Air Suspension and in love, will never sell my truck LOL

Unlike air bags the air suspension feels softer when not loaded and when loaded actually feels the same.

In short I believe air bags are the way to go if your trying to keep the truck more level when towing, just keep the air pressure low when not towing and it will ride more factory style

SONIC
11-21-2020, 06:43 PM
I have them on my duramax , but don't need them with my SA the tongue weight isn't bad for a 2500 series truck.
Pulling a dump trailer with a mini-ex on it they make a world of difference.

Dank
11-22-2020, 11:57 AM
Love my airbags on my ram 1500. They are a must with the soft coil springs. I installed my system with an automatic height adjusting valve. This is a must for boats. If not, once the boat is in the water your rear end goes sky high because no weight is on it anymore. You have to back much further into the water to retrieve the boat. And it looks funny. You’ll be happy with the bags though. Really helps the ride and control.

I didn't think of this at all... is this really a thing? probably 6-700 lbs tongue weight (guess)?

UNSTUCK
11-22-2020, 12:33 PM
Yeah, most airbag systems use the Schrader valves attached to the rear bumper. You just fill them up with your air compressor till you’re happy with the ride height of the truck. This is fine for a TT.
Try hooking the boat to your truck then adjust your air bags to your ride height. Then unhook the trailer. See how that affects the height of the truck.

Dank
11-22-2020, 01:38 PM
Yeah, most airbag systems use the Schrader valves attached to the rear bumper. You just fill them up with your air compressor till you’re happy with the ride height of the truck. This is fine for a TT.
Try hooking the boat to your truck then adjust your air bags to your ride height. Then unhook the trailer. See how that affects the height of the truck.

yes, that's what I have installed (Schrader valve) -- . but don't have a boat again till the spring to try it with... so you are saying once the boat comes off the trailer, the rear end is gonna go popping up? so- you have to deflate it / inflate it every time you drop your boat in?

2in2out
11-22-2020, 03:26 PM
yes, that's what I have installed (Schrader valve) -- . but don't have a boat again till the spring to try it with... so you are saying once the boat comes off the trailer, the rear end is gonna go popping up? so- you have to deflate it / inflate it every time you drop your boat in?

Yes. Some systems come with an onboard compressor and regulator to adjust the range and ride on the fly. If you get a system with a compressor, make sure it is mounted high enough, and far enough forward so that it doesn’t intake water. I made the mistake of launching my first boat in a shallow launch and submersed the compressor in my Range Rover. $2k mistake, and 5 compressors later the manufacturer fixed the problem that kept making the new ones fail after 2 months.

Dank
11-22-2020, 09:37 PM
Yes. Some systems come with an onboard compressor and regulator to adjust the range and ride on the fly. If you get a system with a compressor, make sure it is mounted high enough, and far enough forward so that it doesn’t intake water. I made the mistake of launching my first boat in a shallow launch and submersed the compressor in my Range Rover. $2k mistake, and 5 compressors later the manufacturer fixed the problem that kept making the new ones fail after 2 months.

I don't have the compressor... just a manual air valve. How much are we talking? like, an inch or two or ??? --- I guess I'll wait and see in the spring..

UNSTUCK
11-22-2020, 11:46 PM
On my truck it was several inches. I doubt a leaf spring f150 would be as bad though. I put the boat in the water one time and hated it so much that I installed the rest of the system the next week.

Dank
11-23-2020, 06:48 PM
On my truck it was several inches. I doubt a leaf spring f150 would be as bad though. I put the boat in the water one time and hated it so much that I installed the rest of the system the next week.

I don't have a boat currently... but I have a thousand LBS of lead I guess I could play with as a substitute (simulating tongue weight) .. lol

larry_arizona
11-23-2020, 07:50 PM
Not too many wake boats will have 1000# tongue weight.

Most dual axle boatmates are 7-8% tongue weight

Dank
11-24-2020, 01:52 PM
sweet! I'll put 700 on just to see if the rear end bounces back up after I take it off...
a little puzzled about this whole thing.. I didn't think airbags raised the height of the rear... I thought it just gave it more "resistance" to getting pushed down...
but what do I know? Never owned them before... and don't currently have a boat to test..

I guess .... time will tell. My truck (2017 Nissan Titan sv 4x4 5.7 gas) towed our last boat (Max) great.. but the rear sag was there.. not terrible.. but there.. I know the Mojo is bigger heavier, but will have to carry less lead I think, due to the additional 1k of water ballast.. (4k vs. 3k)

Dank
11-24-2020, 09:55 PM
From the Airlift website FAQ's:

Can air springs raise or lower my vehicle?

Answer
No. While adding air can cause your vehicle to ride an inch or two higher, air springs are not designed to raise your vehicle above factory height. If you DO want to lower your vehicle, visit Air Lift Performance, which feature air spring systems designed to replace your existing suspension for lowered stance and higher performance.

UNSTUCK
11-25-2020, 02:03 AM
That’s a bit misleading. They are saying the bags aren’t designed or intended to act as a lift kit. They will however cause lift. Think of having a flat tire. Now your truck is 2-6 inches lower. Put air in the tire the truck lifts up. Now put a bunch of weight in the bed. The tires squish out and the truck drops an inch. Add more air and the truck raises back up. The bags operate on the same principal.

My RZX2 on a triple axle trailer has 1300 pounds of tongue weight. I think they set the trailer up wrong, but either way it is that heavy. Non issue with the air bags.

larry_arizona
11-26-2020, 09:52 AM
1300# tongue weight is absolutely set up wrong. Guessing that boat and trailer was roughly 7500-8000#?? That is 16-17% tongue weight.

Boatmate trailers suggest between 5-10% which somewhat contradicts the 10-15% tongue weight rules of trailer towing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201126/429bafbf39ef242cea1309eadda3e39f.jpg

UNSTUCK
11-26-2020, 12:33 PM
I’m well aware of what Boatmate says. I can’t really help how they set the trailer up for my boat. I do agree that it is wrong though.

larry_arizona
11-26-2020, 12:43 PM
I’m well aware of what Boatmate says. I can’t really help how they set the trailer up for my boat. I do agree that it is wrong though.

Was not blaming you.

UNSTUCK
11-26-2020, 02:23 PM
Oh I know.

trayson
11-27-2020, 02:59 PM
I have a 2013 F150 with a 6" lift. I run the Firestone Riderite airbags. I have the Airlift Wireless One (compressor/contoller). It's been a fantastic combo.

I run 5psi (the minimum) when I'm unloaded, and I run 50 PSI when towing the boat. (I hitched up and then added air until the truck was level and not squatting). My controller has presets for two memory spots.

I also use the rear bags to raise and lower the rear of the truck for hitching and unhitching. WAY less cranking on the tongue jack! haha.

This summer, I got a slide-in truck camper. the bags are an absolute must for the camper. When I did the camper and boat combo this summer, the bags allowed me to do it with the truck only squatting about an inch (100psi on bags)

https://i.imgur.com/6IbDplu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7Q4qwax.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6CvFtZn.jpg

Dank
11-28-2020, 02:59 PM
dude,... got a chance to test the airbags today when I went to the boat storage place to empty it out / bring home 1k in lead..

The one picture is with 1k of ballast in the VERY back of the truck (all in the same spot) plus a bunch of other heavy junk (boat anchors, etc).. - the second picture (with the box out of the bed) - is with the lead taken out. It raised it Maybe an inch or two (if that)...

It's slightly higher without.... but hardly any difference! And this was only using 30(?) PSI? (can go up to 100). It wasn't a big deal at all to inflate /deflate either.. I didn't buy the on-board compressor, just used a battery powered hand pump that handled it easily.. took a few seconds..

Needless to say I am SUPER HAPPY!! I guess time will tell when we get the new boat in the spring, but the mojo is 300 lbs heavier than the max was.., but I will probably be doing 300 lbs less in lead, given there's 1k more in water ballast over what the Max was..

given the trailer Tounge weight is *probably* only 6-700 lbs... I think this is a total WIN/WIN!