PDA

View Full Version : Towing SL 1700 Miles - Adivce?

miahhough
11-17-2020, 05:37 PM
Well I'm super stoked that we are purchasing a 2019 SL. The bad part is it's 1700 miles away. I plan on towing it home next week. It has the under the tower cover so I plan on wrapping the tower with the clear wrap. Any other suggestions? I could have it fully wrapped but since i will be there Thanksgiving day I doubt I find anyone willing to do it. It's in the Northwest so I'm assuming there will be some nasty roads with salt on them. I will have tools, jack, etc just in case. Any other must haves? Thanks!

parrothd
11-17-2020, 05:46 PM
Uship.... Saves time and money.. :)

sandm
11-17-2020, 07:52 PM
Uship.... Saves time and money.. :)

yup. that's who I used to buy and have shipped 2 as well.

but OP asked for suggestions so my .02 after shipping a few around the country.
if it was my boat, I'd make sure I had good rocktamer mudflaps for the trip. I'd buy a couple rolls of wrap and wrap ALL the trailer rails including the axles. wrap the front of the boat and the one area that ours ended up with dirt/scuffs are the back rear corners so get some adhesive wrap for them.. the tower and speakers will get bugs possibly unless you hit really bad weather. for me it would be weather dependent whether or not I wrapped the tower. no need if clear weather all the way.

our last boat arrived just after the 4th. from minnesnota to nevada. had factory cover on and tower up. the trailer was completely wrapped and front of boat was. the only issues were the back corners when he drove thru a rain/dust storm.

plan your route around/thru states that have not had moisture yet. going from northwest to MO, I'd either go above denver on I40 or drop below to vegas and across phx/texas. colorado might be direct but they have had snow already. adding a few hundred miles to be driving southern states would be good peace of mind for me.

I'd have planned already to have the boat wrapped from a dealer for transport/winter. sold a boat out of slc going to tennessee. I dropped 3 days prior to supra dealer and they wrapped it/stored it until transport company showed up. cost $400 but sure it was good reassurance to the buyer.

good luck and drive safe..

smitty75
11-17-2020, 08:18 PM
I picked up a bow buddy a few years back and use it anytime I have to trailer more than just the lake and back. It’s amazing how much crap is on the guards after just a short ride, really does a good job keeping stuff off the boat. Ugly as all get out, and expensive, but works great for its purpose. I even loaned it to a guy that bought my last boat and he shipped it back when he got home. I’d buy it again.

https://www.trailer-rockguard.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
11-17-2020, 10:41 PM
Rock Tamers
Rolls of Clear Wrap
Duck Tape
WD40
Tools for truck or trailer flats/lugs
Cordless Impact Gun work great
Tire Gauge
Floor Jack w/extra blocks wood or get one of the changing ramps
Make sure your spare tires are good for the truck and trailer
Portable air compressor for tires
Lock for the trailer coupler
Flashlight/Headlamp and batteries
Wheel Chocks
Gloves/Rags/Towels or Blanket
Jump Starter
Plastic Hwy Warning Triangle
Extra Tie Downs/Rachets

MJHSupra
11-17-2020, 10:45 PM
What boat did you buy? There was a member on here selling one from Idaho.

miahhough
11-17-2020, 10:47 PM

That’s it!

zabooda
11-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Plan your trip around the Pacific storms that come this time of year. Leave after a storm and stay ahead of the next one. That will get you good roads from Idaho through Wyoming. Safe travels.

UNSTUCK
11-17-2020, 11:05 PM
I keep a temperature gun in my truck and shoot the hubs every time we stop on long trips.

Isaguel
11-18-2020, 08:59 AM
"Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post

That’s it!"

Congrats Mia. That boat is beautiful, with the 450 and such low hours, it was a steal for that asking price. I cant believe it lasted that long for sale. You're gonna love it. Great colors too!

Prospersigman
11-18-2020, 09:03 AM
Trailer Aid Tandem Trailer Tire Changing Ramp. Hands down the easiest, quickest way to change a tire on a trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-lbs-Features-Lift-Yellow-21002/dp/B07ZPJCHN5/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2OYSW7US0KT48&dchild=1&keywords=trailer+aid+ramp&qid=1605704497&sprefix=trailer+ai%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-7

larry_arizona
11-18-2020, 09:28 AM
Is this Shoebox’s boat? AWESOME boat!!!!

MJHSupra
11-18-2020, 10:41 AM
That’s it!

Good for you. 450 with the newer transmission package, low hours, and well cared for boat. You will love the SL. Welcome!!

MJHSupra
11-18-2020, 10:47 AM
Trailer Aid Tandem Trailer Tire Changing Ramp. Hands down the easiest, quickest way to change a tire on a trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-lbs-Features-Lift-Yellow-21002/dp/B07ZPJCHN5/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2OYSW7US0KT48&dchild=1&keywords=trailer+aid+ramp&qid=1605704497&sprefix=trailer+ai%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-7

For sure. My buddy was laughing at me when I told him I hauled around a floor jack in my pickup. Then he showed me how this works on his car trailer. Pretty slick. I need to think of an idea like this so I can retire.

2in2out
11-18-2020, 11:38 AM
Nice boat. It’s in Hayden, ID isn’t it? What route are you planning?

zabooda
11-18-2020, 12:28 PM
Nice boat. It’s in Hayden, ID isn’t it? What route are you planning?

Probably I90. The quickest way out of Idaho is best. They are known for using gravel instead of sand on icy roads with the bridges coated with gravel. The interstate highways use sand.

miahhough
11-18-2020, 12:52 PM
Looks like I 90 all the way to Sioux Fall.

996scott
11-18-2020, 02:23 PM

I use this and would not travel without it. Only had to use it once but it was so easy.

2in2out
11-18-2020, 02:23 PM
Looks like I 90 all the way to Sioux Fall.

I was going to suggest heading south to 84 through Boise and getting your boat inspected at Prestige Watersports. They were informative, helpful, and nearly bent over backwards to help us during one of their busiest times. They could probably get you in an appointment window there. We would have been $1150 for combined inspections.

I understand I90 though. Straightest shot and shortest time.

miahhough
11-18-2020, 05:52 PM
Trying to decide if I should have the boat shrink wrapped for transport. I've had some say the shrink wrap could chaff the gel coat. I guess the factory cover could as well. Any suggestions on covering?

larry_arizona
11-18-2020, 07:08 PM
The factory cover will not chaffe the gel, it also covers a good part of the front. The Supra covers are incredible for towing.

I personally would invest in a few rolls of 3” blue 3M painters tape and tape all leading surfaces of the bow and trailer.

$20 of tape works great. Car guys use this all the time on cross country transport

parrothd
11-18-2020, 07:47 PM
Number one..

Get boat trailer towing insurance!

Trailers aren't covered by regular towing and tow companies need different insurance to deal with trailer towing so many can't tow it. Only $14a year at boat us.

https://www.boatus.com/BoatUSMembershipExpress/join.aspx?programtype=MWSBUSJOIN&promocode=HEWEBPT2

larry_arizona
11-18-2020, 08:10 PM
Boatmates come with roadside service even for the tow vehicle.

Although not sure if it’s transferable.

parrothd
11-18-2020, 11:08 PM

Cool, it's an add on for boatus boat towing, I have that as well. :)

2in2out
11-18-2020, 11:09 PM

Not transferable. I checked. Original owner must register within 30 days of completed purchase.

Guppydriver
11-19-2020, 03:46 AM

Nice product...

BUT.. (according to many Amazon reviewers)

Doesn't work with leaf spring axle trailers, just torsion spring axle trailers. I'm sure Supra's are all torsion, but the Moomba standard trailer is a leaf spring IIRC, and I don't believe this product would get the wheel up enough to change a tire.

Prospersigman
11-19-2020, 09:32 AM
Nice product...

BUT.. (according to many Amazon reviewers)

Doesn't work with leaf spring axle trailers, just torsion spring axle trailers. I'm sure Supra's are all torsion, but the Moomba standard trailer is a leaf spring IIRC, and I don't believe this product would get the wheel up enough to change a tire.

OP was asking about trailering a Supra boat and Boatmate trailer with a torsion spring axle.

GO CARDINALS!!

Oldernotwiser
11-19-2020, 01:26 PM
Although the covers are fantastic I would never tow even an hour without shrink wrapping the cover lines and up on the bow top and transom corners. If you don’t it will chafe to a keen eye. Roll of shrink wrap from a industrial supply store or a bit of tape for long journeys pretty cheap insurance.

Shoebox
11-19-2020, 01:46 PM
Is this Shoebox’s boat? AWESOME boat!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMonday is going to be a very sad day. [emoji24]

Guppydriver
11-19-2020, 02:01 PM
OP was asking about trailering a Supra boat and Boatmate trailer with a torsion spring axle.

GO CARDINALS!!

Understood. Just mentioning it in case other forum members jump to buy one thinking it will work.

As much as a die hard homer that I am, if there's one opposing player I would love to see get a ring, it's Larry F. Dude is the epitome of class.

2in2out
11-19-2020, 02:27 PM
When we trailered our boat from Boise to Reno, I ran 24” plastic wrap from Lowe’s around about 6” below the cover line, and around any contact points. Like Larry said, the over tower cover sucks down so well at low speed, and doesn’t move at high speed. In towing to Modesto for warrantee work, I didn’t plastic wrap beforehand, and not a bit of chafe. I probably cause more chafe putting the cover on and off than from driving with it. Caveat being it was dry on both trips. Add wet road grime and de-icer I would plastic wrap underneath and shrink wrap over the cover. See if any nearby shops have the felt transport covers. I don’t know if SC ships their boats with them, but some others do.

Prospersigman
11-19-2020, 05:19 PM
Understood. Just mentioning it in case other forum members jump to buy one thinking it will work.

As much as a die hard homer that I am, if there's one opposing player I would love to see get a ring, it's Larry F. Dude is the epitome of class.

Having lived in Phoenix and moved to DFW area I am a Cardinals fan and Kyler Murry fan since he went to Allen High School here in North Texas.

Agreed...Fitzgerald is a such a great man on and off the field, the type of man you would want your son to turn out like.

miahhough
11-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Well she's on her way. It looks like Bulletproof Wraps did an amazing job protecting the boat. It will be like Christmas unwrapping it! If all goes well it will be in my possession tomorrow night. Super excited!29204

larry_arizona
11-24-2020, 12:29 PM
Looks like how they ship from skiers choice.

I still have my factory shrink wrap cover and it’s soft lined on the inside, $450 charge from the factory.

sandm
11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
iirc those covers are from trans-shield. when we transported our boat from boise to GB we bought one from the tige dealer. was $350 installed and once I got to GB we were VERY careful in how we removed it. used it as the boat cover for the next 3 years when we stored it in the shop for the winter to keep the dust off.
great covers and stand up to traveling very well.

Shoebox
11-26-2020, 09:03 AM
Well she's on her way. It looks like Bulletproof Wraps did an amazing job protecting the boat. It will be like Christmas unwrapping it! If all goes well it will be in my possession tomorrow night. Super excited!29204Yeah watching those guys wrap that boat I was impressed. They took great care to pad everything and put the anti-abrasion tape over the entire boat before wrapping, and taped off all the forward surfaces of the trailer. They do fantastic work. So sad to see her go [emoji22], but glad she's going to someone who'll truly appreciate her.