PDA

View Full Version : Motor won't start

schwartzman
04-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Just getting ready for the season and oh-oh, boat no go. I charged the battery and turned the key for the first time, all the gauges came on and when I turned the key to tyr to stat the motor all I got was a loud click form under the hood? The boat started and ran fine when I put it away, it was stored in my heated garage and the battery is connected correctly. Any ideas? The boat is a 1997 Outback with the carberated Indmar.

Buttafewcoe
04-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Check the ground cable where it attaches from the batt to the block on the block side. ALso check the connection at the starter (positive side).
Hope this helps
B

zabooda
04-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Check your battery connections and if that doesn't help then check the condition of the battery If you can jumper the battery and it starts then it is either the connection or the battery.

MOOMBA_97
04-07-2007, 07:55 PM
I just changed from a PCM motor to the Indmar so I don't know if this is relevant on the Chevy motor. My old PCM did this and the starter relay switch was bad. Like I said I don't even know if the Chevy motor uses this.

Monty

schwartzman
04-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Sorry to have wasted every bodys time, but I tried another battery and it worked fine. After I checked all the connections and fuses. I looked at my charger and it was set on 10amp instead of 2amp charge, so I'm guessing that it was not charged enough even though the dial showed it was (and it didn't take as long as I thought it should). Now I just have to wait for the snow to melt. Thank for all the help.

Buttafewcoe
04-08-2007, 05:30 AM
No waste of time.........a fellow boater in need is a fellow boater indeed
I like the easy ones to fix.
B

smokedog2
04-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Yea, dead batteries are so common on the lake I have taken to brining one of those portable jump batteries for folks.

I’ve never been dead but I put in a second battery last fall. I hope it will remove my stereo angst when we stop to swim.

SD2