PDA

View Full Version : O2 Poison

aww
11-06-2020, 07:36 PM
I recently test drove a Moomba makai and sat near back, when I got off I had O2 Poisoning symptoms and my doctor says I most likely had O2 poisoning and am wondering if anyone else has experienced that.

zabooda
11-06-2020, 07:50 PM
O2 is good. CO is bad. There are labels in all newer indicating the hazard. A couple of years ago, I assisted in the recovery of two adults overcome by CO sitting on the swim platform. Know the risks, the signs of poisoning and recovery methods.

haknslash
11-06-2020, 07:52 PM
What speeds, where exactly were you sitting and for how long?

This is a good video for understanding where it tends to accumulate....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i0BjrGah2U

larry_arizona
11-07-2020, 09:13 AM
Hak,

Thanks for sharing that video. I always understood the station wagon effect, but I need to tighten up my game with the boat idling in neutral as a rider is getting into their boots and I am hooking up the rope etc.

I learned something, thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaguel
11-07-2020, 10:32 AM
This is a great video, thanks. That's it, I'm sold. I'm just hesitant to invest in the aftermarket FAE as I've seen a lot of complaints of the weld cracking and leaking. Has anyone tried to have the OEM FAE purchased through skiers choice and have it installed? That would be my preference. Then its under warranty against failure.

Guppydriver
11-07-2020, 05:25 PM
I agree that is a great video, and I do have FAE coming on my April delivery....

But... Keep in mind that the boat in the video has a Pre Catalytic Converter motor. Having a newer engine equipped with a CC is going to substantially reduce the ppm of Co in the air in all situations.

larry_arizona
11-07-2020, 06:39 PM
I agree that is a great video, and I do have FAE coming on my April delivery....

But... Keep in mind that the boat in the video has a Pre Catalytic Converter motor. Having a newer engine equipped with a CC is going to substantially reduce the ppm of Co in the air in all situations.

Cats won’t save your life.

Guppydriver
11-07-2020, 07:49 PM
Cats won’t save your life.

Totally agree.

I was just making the point that levels of Co in a newer boat will almost always be significantly less than in the video.

I also need to improve on my idling tendency when people are at the transom.

I would be curious to know how many serious to know how many serious Co incidents happen every year on modern cat equipped boats. Don’t get me wrong, one is too many, but I bet It’s an extremely rare occurrence.

larry_arizona
11-07-2020, 08:18 PM
OP had a significant incident on a brand new Makai. Tells me all I need to know.

dakota4ce
11-07-2020, 09:49 PM
OP had a significant incident on a brand new Makai. Tells me all I need to know.

OP thinks he had an incident. Dr said is sounded like he had an incident.

So, possible incident.

That being said, it’s pretty rare. But possible.

2in2out
11-07-2020, 09:53 PM
Two summers ago, I spent a good 4 1/2 hrs surfing behind my boat. I was doing run after run, long sets, with minimal breeze. Our Sanger didn’t have FAE, but was a newer boat with 49 hrs on it at the time. By the end of the day, I had classic signs and symptoms of CO poisoning. My cherry red face wasn’t from sunburn. I was fatigued, and had non-alcohol induced cognitive difficulty. I was stumbling a lot. I had a severe headache for 3 days. When my wife asked me the following day why I didn’t want to go out on the boat, got pissed at me when I said I felt like I got CO poisoning . Being a paramedic I recognized the symptoms, and her a flight RN she then realized my symptoms, and she grounded me for a couple of days. Needless to say, it does happen, and not just from idling. I wish I had a carboxyhemoglobin monitor to check my levels.

Guppydriver
11-08-2020, 06:38 AM
I found this harrowing story just tonight on some Malibu Forums...

Very scary and interesting read...

https://www.facebook.com/640164403/posts/10156948257679404/

larry_arizona
11-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Those stories are tough to read.

Great thread and if it only brings awareness, that’s a very positive thing.

larry_arizona
11-08-2020, 09:43 AM
Might be a nice option to mount near rear seats.

https://www.forensicsdetectors.com/products/car-vehicle-aircraft

z28ke
11-08-2020, 09:58 AM
Long post but here’s my near death experience:

A life jacket (and my ex-wife’s dad) saved my life about 15 years ago. I was dating his daughter at the time, first time meeting him and staying at his lake house.

That first evening he wants to take us out on his mastercraft tri-star for a couple wakeboarding sessions. He had been having some trouble with the main engine breaker but we eventually got it fired up and off we went. Things were going good, I was trying to impress him with my limited bag of tricks, etc and at some point my ex (who was the spotter) wasn’t paying attention and he got the prop fouled up with the rope. Y’all see where this is going...

He didn’t want to turn off the engine due to the breaker issue and gives me the knife since I was already in the water, and I was happy to help. I dive down 3 or 4 times working on the knot, each time coming back up behind the platform taking deep breaths while the carbureted 351’s dual exhaust is pounding away.

On about the 5th dive it hit me like a ton of bricks, I popped up to the surface and the only thing my body could muster was one faint word.....”help”. My ex-wife screams “DAD!!!!!!” and he jumps to the back of the boat, grabs my life jacket shoulder straps and pulls my 225lb (at the time) limp body onto the platform and into the boat. He jumps back to the driver seat, slams it in gear and runs wide open throttle back across the lake to his dock, tangled ski rope skipping on the water trailing behind us.

I laid in the backseat and couldn’t move a muscle, couldn’t speak, nothing. The only thing I could do is keep telling myself to breathe. I literally had to remind my body to keep taking breaths and keep my eyes open. I knew that if I closed my eyes I would stop telling myself to breathe and would die right there on the backseat of that mastercraft. Even with my eyes open I really couldn’t see anything, just a blur and everything spinning. It was a very surreal and personal fight for life for what seemed like an eternity. I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Five minutes later we were at the dock, I still couldn’t get out of the boat but was starting to come around and my muscles were responding again. I think somewhere around 5-10 minutes from getting pulled out of the water is when I started being able to talk again.

30-45 minutes later it was like it never happened, except the worst headache I’ve ever had in my life that lasted a couple hours. I’m talking Vegas trip with the boys hangover headache.

So that’s my story about carbon-monoxide and boats, and meeting a future father-in-law for the first time, who tried to kill me but also saved my life. I think I’ve told it here before but was worth sharing again since the topic came up. Apologies for the long post lol

And btw, if I didn’t have a life jacket on I would have sank to the bottom of the lake before being able to alert anyone I was in trouble.....

larry_arizona
11-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing.

zabooda
11-08-2020, 01:06 PM
As a dive rescuer, I studied CO poisoning and IMO it is at the top of the list of the worst ways to die. It is like being tied up and being dumped overboard. You are conscious of everything around you but you can't move a muscle. The two people we recovered were sitting on the swim deck while they headed back to the beach (100 yards) and when the boat got to the beach they were missing. Our sonar located both of them within 25 feet of each other which indicated they rolled off the deck about the same time. The fix is anyone outside the boat have a PFD on if the engine is running.