PDA

View Full Version : Moomba vs Heyday

bmjenkins82
10-30-2020, 03:00 PM
A buddy is looking at Heyday. I don’t know much about them, should I tell him to steer clear? In general, the pricing is much less. Heyday says the wave is equivalent without the surf plates etc.

larry_arizona
10-30-2020, 03:06 PM
No offense to your buddy, but the Heyday is just a butt ugly boat. I can’t look past it.

But it probably surfs ok.

They are dirt cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwan
10-30-2020, 03:19 PM
I agree it's hard to get past the looks, but I've surfed one with a suck gate and a lot of ballast. I liked the wave. You would never catch one behind my truck though...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
10-30-2020, 03:20 PM
I agree it's hard to get past the looks, but I've surfed one with a suck gate and a lot of ballast. I liked the wave. You would never catch one behind my truck though...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

It’s like the Pontiac Aztec of boats, once you get past the ugly, they seem functional.

tre
10-30-2020, 03:22 PM
This is like comparing a Chevy Spark to a Porsche 911. Not in the same ball park. The Chevy Spark will ultimately accomplish the same task but it is slow, ugly, and does nothing as well as the Porsche.

Heydey can't accomplish a reasonable surf wave without tabs. They don't have a surf system of any kind so you are required to manually attach and remove a suck-gate to get a surf wave. If your buddy has the money, get a Moomba.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/vehicles/2020/cars/spark/colorizer/01-images/2020-spark-2lt-gv8-colorizer.jpg?imwidth=960

https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/organizations/740c6204-8408-4655-ae04-ad15b80978c7/Manufacturer%20Product%20Pages/Heyday/Heyday%20Landing%20Page%20Images_0000_WT1-SC.jpg?v=1505854435547?v=20170919155700

brad460
10-30-2020, 03:28 PM
Is it more expensive to build a boat that is not ugly?! I think not... I don’t get the whole Heyday looks thing...

chinook
10-30-2020, 03:34 PM
WTF is up with the interior layout?
Could they make it less roomy if they tried.
I don't get it.

larry_arizona
10-30-2020, 03:35 PM
WTF is up with the interior layout?
Could they make it less roomy if they tried.
I don't get it.

Room for 5

RC_Hinojosa
10-30-2020, 03:39 PM
https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/organizations/740c6204-8408-4655-ae04-ad15b80978c7/Manufacturer%20Product%20Pages/Heyday/Heyday%20Landing%20Page%20Images_0000_WT1-SC.jpg?v=1505854435547?v=20170919155700

Let's be honest, these chicks are being paid to be this close to fugly.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

chinook
10-30-2020, 03:43 PM
Room for 5

HA! I get it now. It's a surfable HOT TUB :p ....

OUR ORIGINAL GAME CHANGER, WITH A TWIST.
The WT-1SC features a popular side console helm and fits easily in most garages. This model’s roomy layout features versatile ‘hot tub’ seating in back, which allows passengers to comfortably watch the rider behind the boat or face forward for cruising.

Like every Heyday, the WT-1SC is designed from the bottom up for wake sports. Our special hull shape is designed to displace more water, which means more water fueling the wave and your ride. Our unique angled transom adds natural curl to your surf waves for a better surf pocket.

Zog
10-30-2020, 03:46 PM
They have reduced the cost of the fiberglass mold and fabrication with the long, flat side panels. They also have shorter boats and claim as many passengers as the big boats with their "signature hot tub seats" in the back. Seems weird in so many ways to me.

They are a Bayliner boat, so know that you are getting Bayliner quality in the mechanical, fit & finish, etc. Every time I see one on the lake it looks pretty beat up and they haven't been around that long.

rdlangston13
10-30-2020, 04:17 PM
This is like comparing a Chevy Spark to a Porsche 911. Not in the same ball park. The Chevy Spark will ultimately accomplish the same task but it is slow, ugly, and does nothing as well as the Porsche.

Heydey can't accomplish a reasonable surf wave without tabs. They don't have a surf system of any kind so you are required to manually attach and remove a suck-gate to get a surf wave. If your buddy has the money, get a Moomba.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/vehicles/2020/cars/spark/colorizer/01-images/2020-spark-2lt-gv8-colorizer.jpg?imwidth=960

How long is that thing? Like 12 feet? You can probably tow it with a civic.

larry_arizona
10-30-2020, 04:19 PM
Bayliner........I am OUT!!!

Guppydriver
10-30-2020, 04:30 PM
You guys are ignorant fanboys.

I'd take a base Heyday WT-1SC over a loaded Supra SE any day of the week. No surf tabs to maintain. No tower speakers to cut your head open with. Only 50 bucks to fill up that massive 35 gallon tank and lightning fast fill times on the 1200lbs of ballast. All this plus HOT TUB seating. There is no other boat that can attract the sweet honey's more than these "water tractors".

larry_arizona
10-30-2020, 04:31 PM
I swear I read somewhere that Heyday claimed Nautique copied their WT hull to make the paragon......Bwahahaha

Guppydriver
10-30-2020, 04:49 PM
I swear I read somewhere that Heyday claimed Nautique copied their WT hull to make the paragon......Bwahahaha

It's true. Various sources confirm this.

Luckily, Heyday had their diagrams for "hot tub seating" separately locked away in a Swiss safe deposit box or Nautique probably would have stole that too.

bmjenkins82
10-30-2020, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the valid feedback all!! I didn't want to get into the looks competition telling him the boat was sort of.. not pretty.

He was sort of sold on not needing surf tabs due to the hull design, but I watched a few video reviews and it seems the use the 2003 method of surfing which is to throw all the weight to one side.. slam some surf wedges on the side of the boat and go.. want to switch to the other side.. drain and fill it and then go again.

In general, I'm guessing the ~$10K delta between a WT Surft and a Max isn't worth the savings.

It seems like he get get one out the door for a hair over $70k.. Which seems really high for what you get.

Guppydriver
10-30-2020, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the valid feedback all!! I didn't want to get into the looks competition telling him the boat was sort of.. not pretty.

He was sort of sold on not needing surf tabs due to the hull design, but I watched a few video reviews and it seems the use the 2003 method of surfing which is to throw all the weight to one side.. slam some surf wedges on the side of the boat and go.. want to switch to the other side.. drain and fill it and then go again.

In general, I'm guessing the ~$10K delta between a WT Surft and a Max isn't worth the savings.

It seems like he get get one out the door for a hair over $70k.. Which seems really high for what you get.

I tease, but the reality is this...

He will create lifelong wonderful family memories in any boat! I do worry that the price delta between a max and Heyday will closer to 15-20K in the current market however. But 70k isn't pocket change. I'd have a hard time spending that kind of coin for the Heyday. 50-60K? Ok, I get it. 70K? I'd keep saving for a bit longer or find a way to spend the extra 50 bucks a month.

Chuds
10-30-2020, 06:04 PM

The two biggest issues I had (ignoring the looks as you are right that is not an argument you will win if he is considering the boat he must be ok with the look) was the lack of surf system because lets face it a new boat without a surf system is pretty brutal these days as you said it is not 2003 anymore, shocked they haven't gone to GSA or something along that line. And in line with that is they have horrendous resale value as they are not a great name, offer limited features and have a poor layout that people cannot get past so your market is very small.

KnoxMojo
10-30-2020, 06:37 PM

Larry, you joke, but if you knew the lineage of Heyday, it isn't that far fetched.

Here is the history lesson. Former Mastercraft execs bought Bryant boats. One of their sons was a regional pro rider. Together, they developed the original Heyday Wake Tractor built by Bryant. Bryant sold Heyday to Brunswick Boat Group, same company owns SeaRay, Boston Whaler, Princecraft and a host of other brands. They also own US Marine, which is Bayliner and used to be also Maxum. Brunswick put Heyday under the US Marine umbrella for territory and marketing purposes. After that, Bryant sold out to Correct Craft, who owns???? Ding ding ding, Nautique, Supreme, Centurion. So would Nautique have a little access through former Bryant employees? Absolutely.

Whether you like the Heyday is up to you, but a lot of misinformation out there. I have been on them, yes they are quirkey, but they perform very well and are simple. For a new boating family, an 8 year warranty (and they'll most likely need it) is pretty strong. And they are of the same engineering pedigree of all the other Knoxville area produced boats.

sandm
10-30-2020, 09:25 PM
ugly as sin but there was apparently one last year or year prior at the southern surffest and iirc the overall feedback was a legit wave IF you can get past the exterior and interior design....

they are onto something with the brand if only they would fix the front nose a little and do something different inside.

concept is sound as they are selling... there's several on mead and had a family launching one today when I was out.

zabooda
10-30-2020, 10:33 PM
Interesting article.

https://www.godownsize.com/common-problems-heyday-boats/

smitty75
10-31-2020, 07:34 AM
I’m mostly curious why someone would take one of these over a used any other brand. If you have to list the boat or have a suction device anyways, that opens you up to wake boats from the last 10 years at least. They all surf good with ballast and some list. Regardless of the warranty I’d be shopping used name brand if trying to be at that price point.

brad460
10-31-2020, 08:40 AM
Interesting article.

https://www.godownsize.com/common-problems-heyday-boats/

Typical crap media today...he writes about 9 common problems with the Heyday, but has never even seen one in person. I am not a fan of these boats, but this guy is an idiot.

He’s heard people were ejected? He can’t see much storage in the pictures? It doesn’t look like a good boat for fishing? Wtf

Did someone as Heyday steal his wife?

haknslash
10-31-2020, 12:18 PM
The thing about boats is it’s not just about the wave. Therein lies the problem with HeyDay. Aside from the quirky looks the quality seems pretty meh. Every black gel HeyDay I’ve seen you can see pretty bad swirl marks and cloudy finishes straight from the factory. The interior fabric seems pretty cheap and not a lot of plush feeling on the overall interior layout. To buy a wake boat in 2020 that still requires listing or a suck gate to create its wave just seems crazy no matter how cheap it is.

Resale is another thing to consider and I just don’t see these things holding value as well as other boats. I’d tell your buddy to save a little more and get a nicer boat.

sandm
10-31-2020, 12:24 PM
here in vegas, most houses are only built with 20ft deep garages, finding rv parking of any kind in pricing under 500k is hard and storage units are tough to come by not to mention expensive.
this does fit a garage need for some and don't need to have a full size truck that you only really need a dozen or 2 times a year. I suspect that is the market they are continuing to look for.

wonder how many were sold this summer with covid eating up the new and used market. buyers picking one up as it's really all that's around.

Guppydriver
10-31-2020, 02:10 PM
8 year warranty though! Holy cow. I didn't read the fine print, but it's marketed as bow to stern. I just saw one last week, pretty new boat and the vinyl was ripped in various places and the stitching was coming apart. Not the best quality (which makes sense at that price point), but I guess an 8 year warranty would alleviate some concerns.

I just bought a brand new boat and only got a 3 year warranty (which almost kept me from buying it), so 8 years is ridiculous. I've also heard it makes a pretty impressive wave all things considered, and the the hull design (albeit an ugly duckling) is pretty ingenious. Hack makes a great point though. Nobody boats ONLY to surf. It's about spending time together as friends and family and a one trick pony like that smaller Heyday lacks in a lot of areas.

DNIXD99
11-01-2020, 01:10 PM
I wouldnt buy one just because I don't want to be apart of the most sensitive, easily butthurt boat owners out there. Their reps are annoying asf too. Go ask this question on wakesurf world and you'll see what I mean.

larry_arizona
11-01-2020, 04:02 PM
I wouldnt buy one just because I don't want to be apart of the most sensitive, easily butthurt boat owners out there. Their reps are annoying asf too. Go ask this question on wakesurf world and you'll see what I mean.

Nobody likes their baby called UGLY.

In everyone’s mind, they spent their money on a good thing.

UNSTUCK
11-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Kind of off topic, but not really:

We were at Lake Powell two weeks ago. We had just put the boat in the water and I was parking the truck/trailer. As I walked back to the water I noticed a Heyday on a trailer with two guys in the boat. I then saw that it was a rental and boy was it beat up! As I walked past I heard the owner asking the renter if he "got all that?". He looked overwhelmed. I smiled to myself and headed down the ramp.
Our goal for the day was to cruise about 50 miles up lake to go to Rainbow Bridge. It's a LONG trek, but the water was nice and we were making good time. We got there docked, and went for a short hike to the bridge. As we got back to the boat about an hour later, we saw that Heyday coming in to the dock. The wind had picked up a bit and he was having a hard time getting it into the dock. We walked over and offered help and he gladly accepted. We grabbed the boat and held it while he looked for ropes and bumpers. He only wanted to tie off the front end so we explained the need to tie off the rear as well so the wind doesn't try to swing the boat around.
This was the first time I really saw the inside of one of these Heydays. My daughters were very unimpressed with the hot tub seating and overall crampy arrangement. Then I noticed this guy had one of those baby cage/crib things taking up the whole "open" area of the cabin. There was a VERY young baby fast asleep in the crib. No jacket on. There was one 5-6 year old boy with a jacket on and then mom and dad. We got them tied off and returned to our boat and eat some snacks.
Ten minutes later the wind really picked up. The way the dock was situated and the direction of the wind made it a little difficult to leave the dock and get turned around. We did alright and left for home. Once we got to the main channel the wind was BLOWING. We were getting pretty beat up in 2-3 foot swells. We stopped at Dangling Rope to top off the fuel, which is only about 8-10 miles into our return trip, with about 40 more to go. It was a nice break from the beating we were taking. I started to wonder about that guy with the Heyday. I thought about heading back to the Bridge to see if they got out of there. The idea of adding 20 miles to this trip didn't sound good. We pressed on towards Wahweap. I wont say I was scared, but I have never been so nervous on our boat. I kept it cool so the kids wouldn't get scared. They all had jackets on, and I was very close to telling the adults to jacket up, but never did. We almost ran aground twice as shallow rocks were hidden by the high rollers. I was standing up the whole time to see better, and I was taking spray to the face like crazy. I was drenched in water. It took us twice as long to get home. I missed turns twice and ended up in wrong canyons so that set us back more. We made it back to Wahweap in once piece and am grateful for that. We never saw the Heyday again and don't know what became of it. In that 50 mile run home, we only saw 4-5 other boats out there. Hopefully the Heyday can handle rough water. I can't imagine a ride rougher than what we experienced. I have 5 years of inboard experience now and it was a hard day for me. Must have been brutal for that guy. I sure hope they had a jacket for that baby.

ktenan12
11-02-2020, 01:00 PM
For what it's worth, I owned the exact boat in those pictures. In fact I think it was the one in that picture. I don't know that for 100% certain, but I had that model. The VIN had it listed as a '17 but they didn't release that model until '18 so I'm assuming I had one that they used for advertising/pictures etc. early off the line. Anyways, I bought it as a demo with 17 hours on it from the rep in Tennessee. I paid an even $35k for it. I owned it for one season. It's a perfect case of, you get what you pay for. The fit and finish doesn't come close to comparing to the Craz I have now. The upholstery isn't nearly as nice. The layout isn't great. But, it was less than half the price of the Craz. Also, it does make a pretty nice wave for a 19'6" boat. I used a Mission Delta and it cleaned up nice. Would I ever own another boat without a surf system? No, I wouldn't. But if that boat is in what your budget can afford, it takes less than 15 seconds to attach a Delta. If someone with a lower end budget wants to get into boating and surfing, that is a capable boat and they continue to get a little better quality each year. I sat in the new WT-2DC at the boat show last year and if my budget were still under $45k, I would've bought one. The looks thing is all personal preference. I'm not saying it's great but I got past it so that I could get into surfing.

mgswake
11-02-2020, 01:13 PM

Wakesurf world, I googled it. What language is that? German?

https://wakesurf.world/

DNIXD99
11-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Nobody likes their baby called UGLY.

In everyone’s mind, they spent their money on a good thing.

Lots of people think the Max is ugly. We don't get ridiculously butthurt about it. We know its a unique look, and its not for everyone. There is way more to it than that anyway. Heyday owners have this overwhelming desire to prove everyone else wasted their money. It really comes across as jealousy to me too. They really bring the hate on themselves IMHO

Disclaimer: I'm talking about owners, and reps that post in the online groups. Im sure the majority of owners aren't like that, and could careless about what others think.

DNIXD99
11-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Wakesurf world, I googled it. What language is that? German?

https://wakesurf.world/

LOL Its a FB group with 19k members. I have no idea what your link is. See below

tre
11-02-2020, 02:07 PM
For what it's worth, I owned the exact boat in those pictures. In fact I think it was the one in that picture. I don't know that for 100% certain, but I had that model. The VIN had it listed as a '17 but they didn't release that model until '18 so I'm assuming I had one that they used for advertising/pictures etc. early off the line. Anyways, I bought it as a demo with 17 hours on it from the rep in Tennessee. I paid an even $35k for it. I owned it for one season. It's a perfect case of, you get what you pay for. The fit and finish doesn't come close to comparing to the Craz I have now. The upholstery isn't nearly as nice. The layout isn't great. But, it was less than half the price of the Craz. Also, it does make a pretty nice wave for a 19'6" boat. I used a Mission Delta and it cleaned up nice. Would I ever own another boat without a surf system? No, I wouldn't. But if that boat is in what your budget can afford, it takes less than 15 seconds to attach a Delta. If someone with a lower end budget wants to get into boating and surfing, that is a capable boat and they continue to get a little better quality each year. I sat in the new WT-2DC at the boat show last year and if my budget were still under $45k, I would've bought one. The looks thing is all personal preference. I'm not saying it's great but I got past it so that I could get into surfing.

All good points but I think the price of these went up a lot. MSRP on their website is now 40k for the small one. Add some very basic options such as boars racks, speed control, battery switch, bimini, and you are at 50k. The mid size model starts at 54k and quickly is at 64k with basic options. Their "surf" model is priced near the same as a Moomba Max with options.