PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Moomba Kaiyen or 2020 Tige 21zx

RidePC
10-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Hello all. Looking at buying our very first family boat. Looking a lot and have it down to two boats Moomba Kaiyen or Tige 21ZX? The Tige dealer has been great and has the boat on site. The Tige has 40 hours on it and is way nicer inside and out. The Moomba seems nice but haven’t been in one yet. Local dealer hasn’t been great and has no inventory ( maybe that’s why). The Moomba is a little bit cheaper. Which one will surf better? How big of a deal is liking the colors inside and out? Any thoughts on the Tige? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

mgswake
10-18-2020, 06:50 PM
How much is ‘a little cheaper’? I think liking the colors is a big deal. If I was spending the money I would pick the boat that checks all my boxes, I would not settle for one that does not feel 100%

RidePC
10-18-2020, 07:00 PM
Thanks

It’s about 12k cheaper. I could live with the color scheme on the Moomba but it’s just basic. I would be building the Moomba and picking all the colors. What I’ve found is that at my price range I can’t check all the boxes. The surf wave is most important but impossible to go out on the Moomba because they have none and it’s getting difficult on the Tige because it getting colder here.

Forgot to mention the Tige also has the 440 engine and I live at almost 6000’.

SONIC
10-18-2020, 07:16 PM
They aren't really comparable boats, the tige zx line is the flagship for tige, the Moomba will feel overall cheaper and less refined.

I came from tige and they have more kinks to work out on new boats than they should IMO so I went with a supra.

I'm a little confused, as it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison imo.

RidePC
10-18-2020, 07:28 PM
they are quite different boats. The Tige has 40 hours and that why the price is close. Would love to go with a Supra but they are way out of my price range. The Moomba and ATX are about the same price. I guess my question is for the extra money is it just a nicer boat with about the same wave or am I also getting a nicer wave?

brad460
10-18-2020, 07:37 PM
We looked at the ATX line of boat- They are very nice. Almost ordered the ATX20, but decided I wanted something bigger (for same price) and so we ordered a Max.

An ATX22 might be a good option- nicely equipped for close to $80k.

Overall, I think the Tige and ATX design looks better than all the Moomba’s, but can’t beat the value and reliability of the Moomba.

sandm
10-18-2020, 07:40 PM
moomba and atx are along the same lines. given that choice moomba all day. atx has some work to do to be at the same level of supreme/moomba/mb. atx will have a better surf wave out of the box than any of them but with some additional ballast the rest will shine.

any of the new boats are going to put out a great surf wave. there will be differences in the kaiyen and 21zx but unless you are a pro level surfer either boat are going to give you years of family memories to enjoy. focus on the dealership, overall options that make sense to your family and the color/looks of each one. the surf wave in one over the other might be 6" taller or 1ft longer but in the end, you'll still enjoy many sessions on either and both companies have sold hundreds of each with families enjoying them.

you're asking on a moomba forum so results are skewed just like asking this same question on TO.
either way post up what you buy.......

Guppydriver
10-18-2020, 08:26 PM
Thanks

It’s about 12k cheaper. I could live with the color scheme on the Moomba but it’s just basic. I would be building the Moomba and picking all the colors. What I’ve found is that at my price range I can’t check all the boxes. The surf wave is most important but impossible to go out on the Moomba because they have none and it’s getting difficult on the Tige because it getting colder here.

Forgot to mention the Tige also has the 440 engine and I live at almost 6000’.

The engine upgrade itself is about 5K retail......

I love the Moomba but considering you're getting a premium line boat (with its associated resale) and an engine upgrade, it would be hard to say no to the Tige. Now, if you didn't like the colors at all, go with the Moomba. Getting a deal on a boat you're not passionate and proud to own, is never a deal.

RidePC
10-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Thanks all for the input. The Tige We actually like the colors better on even though we didn’t pick them. Moomba has a very simple look that we don’t love. It’s just I don’t know much about Tige. Where we live in PC everything is Nautique, Supra and Malibu in that order. Around here the ATX and the Moomba are still over 100k out the door. Not much room for negotiation because they can’t keep any inventory. All these first world problems. Excited to get the family on the water a ton next summer.
Thanks again for all the feed back. This forum is the best.

UNSTUCK
10-18-2020, 11:22 PM
It’s not too late to test drive boats. If you haven’t already tested the tige have them take it to Willard. We were there yesterday water was 63. Still surfable with or without a wetsuit. We will likely be there again on Tuesday.
One thing I have learned is don’t buy a boat you haven’t tested. And like others have said don’t buy what you don’t just love. If you’re new to wake boats you will soon find out that $100k does not mean perfection. Both of these boats will bring smiles and disappoint. With the tige already having 40 hours on it it will likely have most of the kinks worked out. That means you can jump right into next season running. If you build there is a good chance your brand new boat will be back at the dealer for repairs. This goes for any brand.
Don’t get too caught up in the high(er) dollar boat brands. Any newish boat is going to give you a great family wave. So are you looking for a great wave for the value or looking for looks?

Guppydriver
10-19-2020, 03:57 AM
Thanks all for the input. The Tige We actually like the colors better on even though we didn’t pick them. Moomba has a very simple look that we don’t love. It’s just I don’t know much about Tige. Where we live in PC everything is Nautique, Supra and Malibu in that order. Around here the ATX and the Moomba are still over 100k out the door. Not much room for negotiation because they can’t keep any inventory. All these first world problems. Excited to get the family on the water a ton next summer.
Thanks again for all the feed back. This forum is the best.

I know this is subjective, but I will take your local Moomba dealer aaaalllllll day long over the Tige dealer in Utah. I know for a fact you would be OTD for less than a 100K on a Kaiyan (well optioned). A new Max would be ~93k OTD, but that is the most "simple looking" Moomba you can buy. No matter what you choose, it will be the right decision....both the Tige and Moomba (especially the Kaiyen) are sweet boats.

There are a ton of MB's in Park City and Utah County as well. I would guess there are more MB's in Utah than Supras as Utah has the biggest MB dealer (by sales volume) in the country.

RidePC
10-19-2020, 09:59 AM
I have heard lots of good about the Moomba dealer in SLC but I have found that not to be the case for some reason. I have a hard time getting anyone to call or even text me back. The Tige dealer has been great and reach out and try to work with me on a test ride and pricing.
I also know for a fact that a okay optioned Kaiyen is over a 100k OTD because I have a deposit on one with the local dealer.

larry_arizona
10-19-2020, 10:33 AM
I have heard lots of good about the Moomba dealer in SLC but I have found that not to be the case for some reason. I have a hard time getting anyone to call or even text me back. The Tige dealer has been great and reach out and try to work with me on a test ride and pricing.
I also know for a fact that a okay optioned Kaiyen is over a 100k OTD because I have a deposit on one with the local dealer.

Not making excuses for the dealer, but most Skiers choice dealers just don’t have inventory to show or demo due to strong demand with some dealers fully sold out for 2021.

Some dealers don’t have anymore build slots to sell for 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwan
10-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Does that 440 on the tige come with the geared down transmission? If it does, then it would out perform the 400 with the 1.76 on the moomba. If the tige has a 1.5 trans ratio the performance from the engine would likely be seat of the pants similar. Something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Zog
10-19-2020, 11:20 AM
We sort of had this issue with them. Went in to look at a new Craz and it was sold before we walked in the door 2 hours after finding out about it. Waited about 90 minutes while the sales people worked with other customers who had shown up before us and then found that the two customers who they were dealing with bought out the two remaining unsold boats they had on the floor and we wouldn't see a new boat for 2 weeks and it would be $10k more than the price we had been quoted on the first boat. We wound up buying a used Mojo instead, but they brokered the deal and have been good to work with. They are just really busy (as is their shop), but they give a fair deal and are good at answering questions when they can give you the time.

My Brother-In-Law bought a Supra from them and said they always get back, it may take some time though. Parking has been insane there and the service department is a month out right now on appointments.

larry_arizona
10-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Can’t delay on a skiers choice boat in this red hot market.

SC is just not a mass boat producer with unlimited capacity like Bu or MC.

Dealers selling out this early might be a record.

SONIC
10-19-2020, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the covid market lol.

I know this is a moomba forum but at similar prices I'd take the zx1 over the moomba all day. The tige will have the better surf wave out of the box and with addtional ballast.

At 40 hours the kinks should already be worked out or close to worked out.
Be aware that you have to transfer the warranty and it will run another 12-1500.

larry_arizona
10-19-2020, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the covid market lol.

I know this is a moomba forum but at similar prices I'd take the zx1 over the moomba all day. The tige will have the better surf wave out of the box and with addtional ballast.

At 40 hours the kinks should already be worked out or close to worked out.
Be aware that you have to transfer the warranty and it will run another 12-1500.

Unless it’s a dealer demo.

Agree Tige ZX>kaiyen

sandm
10-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Agree Tige ZX>kaiyen

this.

I can say when we lived in tooele we sold a 22ve to a guy in tennessee back in april '17. germaine marine wanted nothing to do with the inspection/shrinkwrap and quoted me a stupid price and 4-6weeks to complete. marine products did the job in under 2 weeks and stored the boat for 5 days free waiting for transport at a cost 35% less than germaine. MP were good to deal with. several on the forums have had good experiences with MP so I'd give them some time IF the moomba is the boat for you.
12grand more tho I'd skip the moomba unless new boat smell is important.

smitty75
10-19-2020, 11:03 PM
I know you said a test may not be possible, but it’s highly recommended if you can find a way to pull it off, even if you have to travel a bit to get on one. We were shopping for a new 21’ boat a few years back, and had our minds set on a new nautique or Malibu. But glad I tested both, as with the nautique we didn’t like the wave, and with the Malibu my wife didn’t like driving it with surf gate. Third was tige as a local dealer had a great deal on an rz2 at a price similar to the 21’ boats we were shopping, but after a few hours on the water we couldn’t get comfortable with wakeboard wake so crossed it off the list. Last was Supra Sr which we weren’t even considering at the time, but after the first surf set we knew it was the right boat. We drove all over testing boats, but it was a fun part of the process. All great boats just a bit different.

Guppydriver
10-20-2020, 02:12 AM

Wow...that's concerning about MP. You have a deposit down with them on a 100k sale and can't get a return call or email? I came within hours of putting a deposit down on a mojo on October 6, and was emailing quotes and question frequently with prompt responses from JT. I know MP has a good reputation, and I agree with sandm that Germaine (at least the service department) doesn't have a stellar reputation here in Utah county. I have personally been told by a few friends that they are less than impressed. I know google reviews are anecdotal and biased , but the google ratings at Germaine aren't the greatest either. Back to MP though...Covid or no Covid, there is no excuse for not answering a simple email in a timely manner to a client with a deposit.

Regarding the price of the Kaiyen. My apologies... It must be more than just fairly equipped I assume to break 100k. I didn't shop the Kaiyen, but my Mojo quote OTD was right around $101.5 ...So i just assumed a Kaiyen at 2 feet junior would be in the five digits. To be fair, my Mojo build didn't have Tritons, the upgraded tower,and had a pretty basic trailer with the smaller wheels to save money. It did have virtually everything else including upgrade paint, nicest stereo option, surf pipe, 7" screen and gator. Perhaps your Kaiyen has more options the my Mojo build. I assumed there would more of a delta than just a thousand or two dollars considering the Mojo is two feet bigger.

When is your Kaiyen spray date? Can you get your deposit back if you choose the Tige? First world problems to have!!! Congrats either way!

RidePC
10-23-2020, 12:07 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m looking at the Kaiyen on Friday in SLC. I can still get my deposit back because my spray date isn’t till January. The Kaiyen looks sweet and for me and the Family with just two young kids the 21’5” seems perfect. Although we are Leaning towards the Tige because it’s so nice and the 440 on a 21’6” boat seems perfect to have at 6000’. For sure first world problems... goal is to make decision before the end of the month. Being that this is our first boat and the first time looking at boats we don’t have to much experience with the local dealers but from this one experience Germaine has been by far the best sales people to work with. But have also meet really nice people at Malibu but they seem to have the highest price boats for not that much. I think if money was no object it would be Supra or Nautique for us. Again good problems to have by “settling” for a Moomba or Tige. Thanks again for all to input. Will post some pics when we make a decision.

Guppydriver
10-23-2020, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m looking at the Kaiyen on Friday in SLC. I can still get my deposit back because my spray date isn’t till January. The Kaiyen looks sweet and for me and the Family with just two young kids the 21’5” seems perfect. Although we are Leaning towards the Tige because it’s so nice and the 440 on a 21’6” boat seems perfect to have at 6000’. For sure first world problems... goal is to make decision before the end of the month. Being that this is our first boat and the first time looking at boats we don’t have to much experience with the local dealers but from this one experience Germaine has been by far the best sales people to work with. But have also meet really nice people at Malibu but they seem to have the highest price boats for not that much. I think if money was no object it would be Supra or Nautique for us. Again good problems to have by “settling” for a Moomba or Tige. Thanks again for all to input. Will post some pics when we make a decision.

Awesome! Can't go wrong with either. Glad to know Germaine is treating you well! If you want to get confused even more and if you are bored, stop buy a place called "The Boat Shack" in Lindon. They have a two 22 footers on the way that should be right around 100k (before tax). I've always been a sucker for MB though. I agree though, in today's market that Tige seems like a great deal. Good luck!!