PDA

View Full Version : Best Fenders for Moomba Max?

Large Farva
10-15-2020, 08:19 PM
Anyone have any fender recommendations? The Max has that tall freeboard so I'm curious if y'all are using jumbo bumpers or normal size?

Also, anyone try Hull Hugr contour fenders? I like the idea, I wonder if it translates to real life ok.

RC_Hinojosa
10-15-2020, 08:26 PM
You missed out on our group buy earlier this year but the ones from LetsTieUp are pretty awesome.

They are huge, offering a lot of protection and shock load. The best part is they take almost zero storage space when deflated and not in use.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201016/9db47e4270b3a2bbb045c6ee8f57fac0.jpg

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

Large Farva
10-15-2020, 08:34 PM
Oh I like that. Are you ever annoyed to have to blow them up or is the space savings worth it?

RC_Hinojosa
10-15-2020, 08:45 PM
Oh I like that. Are you ever annoyed to have to blow them up or is the space savings worth it?Definitely not annoyed, the little time they take to inflate is well worth the space savings.

Keep a 12v inflator on board and it's a snap.

Surf Wagon
10-15-2020, 08:56 PM
Group buy where was I at lol missed it some how.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
10-15-2020, 09:32 PM
Group buy where was I at lol missed it some how.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkLol, you missed it bruh...we got 25% off the prestige package.

It had the goods.... 4 XL bumpers, 4 bumper bungees, 2 boat2boat bungees, a 12v pump and 2 storage bags.

Surf Wagon
10-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Lol, you missed it bruh...we got 25% off the prestige package.

It had the goods.... 4 XL bumpers, 4 bumper bungees, 2 boat2boat bungees, a 12v pump and 2 storage bags.

Sent from my Note 9 using TapatalkCrap

RC_Hinojosa
10-15-2020, 09:35 PM
Crap

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkI know the LTU owner, we can put another group buy together.

Next spring would probably make the most sense, we just need at least 20 guys.

Surf Wagon
10-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Awesome I'm in. If my old man syndrome doesn't kick in again.

haknslash
10-15-2020, 09:45 PM
Oh I like that. Are you ever annoyed to have to blow them up or is the space savings worth it?

I don't have the LTU fenders but I have the Exile's. I inflate mine at the beginning of the season and leave them inflated. I stow them in the rear lockers (I don't have storage bin option) and even when filing the larger wakemakers ballast they still fit. I'll never go back to a traditional fender again. At the end of the season I deflate them and put them in storage for next season. Unless you have the rear storage bins you should not need to inflate and deflate these in a Max since the boat is so deep.

Hull hugger or Sentry style fender will not protect your boat in rough or busy weekends. You want as much space as possible away from the dock an other boats you may be tied up to, especially if they have board racks.

https://i.imgur.com/Nx7FCHe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bhMpoLq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8HaX7jx.jpg

Large Farva
10-15-2020, 11:29 PM
I don't have the LTU fenders but I have the Exile's. I inflate mine at the beginning of the season and leave them inflated. I stow them in the rear lockers (I don't have storage bin option) and even when filing the larger wakemakers ballast they still fit. I'll never go back to a traditional fender again. At the end of the season I deflate them and put them in storage for next season. Unless you have the rear storage bins you should not need to inflate and deflate these in a Max since the boat is so deep.

Hull hugger or Sentry style fender will not protect your boat in rough or busy weekends. You want as much space as possible away from the dock an other boats you may be tied up to, especially if they have board racks.

https://i.imgur.com/Nx7FCHe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bhMpoLq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8HaX7jx.jpg

Thanks for that info!

jason1973
10-16-2020, 09:12 AM
yep, the inflatable babes balls or something like that are the best. I tie up with a 24' Malibu MXZ and it keeps us all safe.

Cactus371
10-16-2020, 11:17 AM
Second LTU here and they now have a new bag that will fit all the prestige package plus two more balls I got. All in one bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guppydriver
10-16-2020, 12:10 PM
I know the LTU owner, we can put another group buy together.

Next spring would probably make the most sense, we just need at least 20 guys.

I'd be in ! LTU is now on my "check for black friday sale" list!

RC_Hinojosa
10-16-2020, 12:26 PM
I'd be in ! LTU is now on my "check for black friday sale" list!For sure [emoji106] The LTU ones are probably 3 times bigger than Exile (I had those first) and 1.5 times bigger than BABz.

I was put at ease tying up my plebian Craz next to Cactus' brand spanking new SE 550.

[emoji28]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201016/c92e2f0ee57918b285bc9774dc6388cc.jpg

SONIC
10-16-2020, 12:59 PM
I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PY6D7DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used Babz for a season but popped one and they are a little too flexible for my taste I still could hit the dock or another boat if a big wave came by as they would just flatten like a pancake with enough force.
These are much thicker and are a true buoy and not a bouncy toy.

They are big and they are firm but they work! I keep them inflated year round in the rear locker. If we need more space (we almost never do) we just hang the from the sides of the tower for the day.

bmjenkins82
10-16-2020, 03:22 PM
I'd be in ! LTU is now on my "check for black friday sale" list!

I'd be in too.. new boat coming in with absolutely zero accessories on hand.

Guppydriver
10-16-2020, 05:27 PM
For sure [emoji106] The LTU ones are probably 3 times bigger than Exile (I had those first) and 1.5 times bigger than BABz.

I was put at ease tying up my plebian Craz next to Cactus' brand spanking new SE 550.

[emoji28]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201016/c92e2f0ee57918b285bc9774dc6388cc.jpg

Probably a dumb question but I'm a newbie....(my boat was a 15K ex rental I/O and we drove it and docked it as such)...

With the LTU balls being three time bigger than the Exiles, do you ever find it creates too much space between the dock and the boat so as small children or less agile seniors would have a hard time embarking and debarking?

I have until April to figure out how to make knots like you and Hack...your guys's look straight up gangsta!

RC_Hinojosa
10-16-2020, 05:40 PM
Probably a dumb question but I'm a newbie....(my boat was a 15K ex rental I/O and we drove it and docked it as such)...

With the LTU balls being three time bigger than the Exiles, do you ever find it creates too much space between the dock and the boat so as small children or less agile seniors would have a hard time embarking and debarking?

I have until April to figure out how to make knots like you and Hack...your guys's look straight up gangsta!

Not a dumb question. I just don't know firsthand.

My girls are pretty small (an infant and small toddler), the toddler was in the boat from launch to retrieval. I haven't had any seniors on my boat [emoji2375]

I don't think they create too much space to span the gap but you have the ability to not fill them completely so they would be smaller.

Don't stress over knots, that's old school. Dock and boat2boat bungees are the way to go. The bungees are segmented so you can adjust for length based on where your cleat is relative to the cleat on the dock.

Guppydriver
10-16-2020, 06:21 PM
Not a dumb question. I just don't know firsthand.

My girls are pretty small (an infant and small toddler), the toddler was in the boat from launch to retrieval. I haven't had any seniors on my boat [emoji2375]

I don't think they create too much space to span the gap but you have the ability to not fill them completely so they would be smaller.

Don't stress over knots, that's old school. Dock and boat2boat bungees are the way to go. The bungees are segmented so you can adjust for length based on where your cleat is relative to the cleat on the dock.

Thanks... I've always wanted a reason to say "mind the gap" since visiting London a few years ago.

Any recs on boat bungees? They are probably all the same. I have seen the Airhead ones around. I did notice that the LTU packages come with bungees, so maybe that's the way to go..

RC_Hinojosa
10-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Thanks... I've always wanted a reason to say "mind the gap" since visiting London a few years ago.

Any recs on boat bungees? They are probably all the same. I have seen the Airhead ones around. I did notice that the LTU packages come with bungees, so maybe that's the way to go..

The LTU packages last time I checked had bungees for the bumpers and boat2boat bungees.

These are the bungees I use for the dock:

https://www.overtons.com/stretch-n-slide-dock-line-316512.html?cgid=dock-lines#start=4&cgid=anchoring-docking%2Fdock-lines-cleats-hardware%2Fdock-lines

Tommy2slow
10-17-2020, 02:31 AM
How do these large fenders perform when tying up to a low dock? I understand how the concept of a round fender minimizes dock rash as the fender rolls instead of sliding against the hull but it seems like the dock needs to be quite high for the large round fender to not slip up onto the dock.

RC_Hinojosa
10-17-2020, 07:54 AM
How do these large fenders perform when tying up to a low dock? I understand how the concept of a round fender minimizes dock rash as the fender rolls instead of sliding against the hull but it seems like the dock needs to be quite high for the large round fender to not slip up onto the dock.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe bungees for the bumpers are adjustable. (Or ropes for that matter) You can increase or decrease the length to position the bumper accordingly to height of the dock.

It may sound like rocket science but it's not. [emoji848]

Tommy2slow
10-17-2020, 09:25 AM
The bungees for the bumpers are adjustable. (Or ropes for that matter) You can increase or decrease the length to position the bumper accordingly to height of the dock.

It may sound like rocket science but it's not. [emoji848]

Sorry, I wasn’t clear on my question. What I guess I am trying to figure out is how the ball stays between the boat and whatever it’s moored to when the radius of the ball is larger than the dock height. In cases where the widest part of the ball is above the dock ( with the ball mounted as low as possible on the boat) I feel that the fender would have tendency to ride up onto the dock more than a cylindrical shaped fender. Say you have a 12” diameter round fender and a 5” dock height the fender’s widest point, even with the fender in the water, is still above the dock and would not stay in place when a set of rollers hits the boat. The fenders in the pics that have been posted on this thread so far all look to be at least 12” in diameter and whatever the boats are tied to is at least as high as the rub-rail. When temporarily mooring a boat the round fenders look to be the best option if the application allows for them but I’m not sure if they work in all situations. It hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet but for long term mooring a lift or mooring whips are the best option. The lake bottom drops off to quickly in front of my house for a lift but the whips are a great alternative. Here’s a few pics showing my low dock height and the whips. Sorry, the pic with the boats on the whips is super far away but it’s the only one I have and it’s winter here now so the boats are in hibernation till next spring.

Tommy2slow
10-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Sorry, I wasn’t clear on my question. What I guess I am trying to figure out is how the ball stays between the boat and whatever it’s moored to when the radius of the ball is larger than the dock height. In cases where the widest part of the ball is above the dock ( with the ball mounted as low as possible on the boat) I feel that the fender would have tendency to ride up onto the dock more than a cylindrical shaped fender. Say you have a 12” diameter round fender and a 5” dock height the fender’s widest point, even with the fender in the water, is still above the dock and would not stay in place when a set of rollers hits the boat. The fenders in the pics that have been posted on this thread so far all look to be at least 12” in diameter and whatever the boats are tied to is at least as high as the rub-rail. When temporarily mooring a boat the round fenders look to be the best option if the application allows for them but I’m not sure if they work in all situations. It hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet but for long term mooring a lift or mooring whips are the best option. The lake bottom drops off too quickly in front of my house for a lift but the whips are a great alternative. Here’s a few pics showing my low dock height and the whips. Sorry, the pic with the boats on the whips is super far away but it’s the only one I have and it’s winter here now so the boats are in hibernation till next spring.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201017/6757c690b21f7b27de6e96eb5c089cdb.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201017/0c71e226de9d9e1236097d2948007941.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201017/c900eed4d4c28a781b621d705d8227ac.jpg

SONIC
10-19-2020, 04:11 PM
Sorry, I wasn’t clear on my question. What I guess I am trying to figure out is how the ball stays between the boat and whatever it’s moored to when the radius of the ball is larger than the dock height. In cases where the widest part of the ball is above the dock ( with the ball mounted as low as possible on the boat) I feel that the fender would have tendency to ride up onto the dock more than a cylindrical shaped fender. Say you have a 12” diameter round fender and a 5” dock height the fender’s widest point, even with the fender in the water, is still above the dock and would not stay in place when a set of rollers hits the boat. The fenders in the pics that have been posted on this thread so far all look to be at least 12” in diameter and whatever the boats are tied to is at least as high as the rub-rail. When temporarily mooring a boat the round fenders look to be the best option if the application allows for them but I’m not sure if they work in all situations. It hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet but for long term mooring a lift or mooring whips are the best option. The lake bottom drops off to quickly in front of my house for a lift but the whips are a great alternative. Here’s a few pics showing my low dock height and the whips. Sorry, the pic with the boats on the whips is super far away but it’s the only one I have and it’s winter here now so the boats are in hibernation till next spring.

I suppose a fixed dock could be that low, but here they are all floating as water levels fluctuate and they are all 12-20 inches tall so no issues.
You're right on a super low dock though they would push upward and allow the boat to hit.

Not something I've ever had to deal with though.