PDA

View Full Version : Impeller finally gave up a rib

DOCDRS
09-22-2020, 09:39 PM
Well after 9 years my impeller finally gave up a rib. While there were no cooling issues, on winterizing , I found a rib that was caught by my tranny cooler. I had to find when I shot my 8 minute impeller replacement video that was back in 2011. While this is too long and I do not advocate it, I will take pics when I change it in the spring or later this fall. It also had no problems sucking antifreeze from a bucket during winterization.

MJHSupra
09-22-2020, 10:38 PM
Nine years, you must have had you eye set on the world record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOCDRS
09-23-2020, 09:46 PM
One turned into two, then three, four, etc. Since I watch the temp gauge like a hawk and perform engine active impeller performance tests, I saw no reason to change it until this last weekend. It will be interesting to see what it looks like.

zabooda
09-24-2020, 12:08 PM
2-3 years is the best I could do. Always checked at winterization and have a spare on board.

996scott
09-24-2020, 03:41 PM
I'm with zabooda, 2-3 years and i start getting uneasy. 9 yrs could be some kind of record for sure!

DOCDRS
09-24-2020, 04:48 PM
I have a spare plus 2 new ones. I was religious doing it every year on my DD. The V drive impeller change is a little more time consuming ( 8 minutes as I did a video last time I changed it) so after the 2nd change I decided to pull all hoses around the pump And tranny cooler plus suck up antifreeze after block draining. I definitely do not recommend this length of time by no means and would prob have let it go another year if not finding the rib. I have a strainer and run is clear freshwater with very little debris accumulating in the strainer by the end of the season.

bergermaister
09-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Run 'er till she gets hot, then investigate. I've got a spare thermostat and spare impeller now. Mine was actually running cold earlier this year - holding around 130. Kept an eye on it and whatever was stuck (thermostat I'm guessing) must have flushed through. I checked and I'm at year 6 for the impeller and year 7 on the thermostat. Catching up with you Doc.

However we've only been averaging 25 hours (low) to 40 hours (high) per year. I'm curious what you do.

psycho-heico
09-24-2020, 07:45 PM
that is good to hear, the fear mongering of yearly changes had me worried and feeling guilty when I did it every 2, like the rest of you, I keep a spare, usually the one that was replaced by the new one.....now what about other parts..ie spark plugs, fuel filter etc ??

DOCDRS
09-24-2020, 08:49 PM
Omg........I hate to admit it but my plugs are The original.......I have new ones , for about 5 years now.....but , the engine starts right up and has never missed a beat in 11 years. I must say , I pull the plugs every fall and inspect them to check for abnormalities..........

schwan
09-27-2020, 06:23 PM
Run the plugs until you get a misfire warning

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

sandm
09-27-2020, 06:54 PM
and I thought going 2 years on an impeller would get me chastized on the interwebs.....

amazing you went that long but impressive it held up....

larry_arizona
09-27-2020, 07:05 PM
Just curious why the resistance to scheduled maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk