PDA

View Full Version : Polk Audio speakers

MOOMBA_97
04-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I am replacing my factory speakers with the Polk Audio db 650's. I know a bunch of people like these speakers so I thought I would pass along where I ordered these from because it seems to be a great deal. You get a pair of them for $57, free shipping. They say there are not many left so get them quick. The website is www.cardomain.com/shop Hope it helps someone.

Monty

seanpatsdad
04-04-2007, 11:04 PM
That is a good deal.I just paid 79 a pair at Crutchfield.Good shopping.Now I feel ripped. :evil:
John

cab13367
04-05-2007, 10:32 AM
John,

Sorry to hear that.

Monty,

I saw that too and ordered three pairs over the weekend and it arrived yesterday. Great deal. Maybe I should have bought a 4th pair as a spare. I also got the PIE Ipod interface.

Al

tazz3069
04-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Have you installed your new speakers? If so, how do they sound. I am not really happy with my stock Kenwood speakers.

Mark

JesseC
04-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Have you installed your new speakers? If so, how do they sound. I am not really happy with my stock Kenwood speakers.

Mark

I installed these last summer and I absolutely love them. They look awsome and sound even better than what I expected. Check my links for the install.

tazz3069
04-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Jesse,
I noticed in your pictures that you are running two amps. One for the tower speakers and the other? Are you runing a sub? I am going to be doing the install on my boat. I have two pairs of Kicker speakers for the towers. Do I get a 2 channel or a 4 channel amp for that? Do I need an amp for the 6 speakers in the boats? Some people tell me yes and the others tell me no. I would like your input. Also, last question. Sorry. How would I wire the two pair of Kicker tower speakers. Do I connect the + terminal to the + terminal or is is like a mono bridge. + terminal to - terminal? :?:

JesseC
04-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Jesse,
I noticed in your pictures that you are running two amps. One for the tower speakers and the other? Are you runing a sub? I am going to be doing the install on my boat. I have two pairs of Kicker speakers for the towers. Do I get a 2 channel or a 4 channel amp for that? Do I need an amp for the 6 speakers in the boats? Some people tell me yes and the others tell me no. I would like your input. Also, last question. Sorry. How would I wire the two pair of Kicker tower speakers. Do I connect the + terminal to the + terminal or is is like a mono bridge. + terminal to - terminal? :?:

I am not running a sub. The 8 polks do just fine!!

One amp is for the tower speakers. I have a five wire relay that I wired to one of the unused accessory switches that cuts the amp on and off for the tower speakers. When we are just hanging out and listening to the radio, I did not want to run the tower speakers all the time, also we cut them on and off to pick up a fallen rider. The relay just controls the remote wire from the radio, it either allows the radio to send the 12V or it "opens" the circuit to not allow the 12V from the radio.

The other amp is for the six speakers in the boat. I probably could have powered the 6 speakers off of the radio, but I figured if the radio could do it well, then the amp could definately do it better! This is also where I messed up a little. I have a two channel amp powering six speakers. I wish I had used a 4 channel. If I had it to do again, I would wire the rear four speakers regular (not bridged) and wire the front two in series to make them a little quieter than the rears. The fronts seem much louder since they are aimed at the passengers whereas the rears are aimed at your butt and you can't hear them as good.

The wiring depends on the amp. I have the tower speakers wired normal (not bridged). The 2 channel amp has a channel for each tower speaker.

Hope this helps.

tazz3069
04-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all your help. So if I have 4 speakers on the tower, then I need a for channel amp. One channel for each speaker. The other 4 channel amp would be for the 6 speakers. Now I looked at the hool up of the speakers to the radio and the 4 rear speakers, are wired together. The two positive from the left side are together and the two negatives are together. The same follows for the right side. Would I hook up the wires the same way on the amp. Last, I promise, I only have one set of RCA jacks on the back of the radio. Would I need to get a Y-adapter for that?

JesseC
04-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all your help. So if I have 4 speakers on the tower, then I need a for channel amp. One channel for each speaker. The other 4 channel amp would be for the 6 speakers. Now I looked at the hool up of the speakers to the radio and the 4 rear speakers, are wired together. The two positive from the left side are together and the two negatives are together. The same follows for the right side. Would I hook up the wires the same way on the amp. Last, I promise, I only have one set of RCA jacks on the back of the radio. Would I need to get a Y-adapter for that?

You wire the speakers to match the abilities of the amp. Some amps like Rockford Fosgate and Punch are half ohm stable whereas my clarions are 2 ohm stable stereo and I don't remember the bridged stability. It also depends on speaker ohms.

Check out this website on how to wire speakers for the correct ohm settings. --> http://colomar.com/Shavano/spkr_wiring.html

On the RCA jacks, I only have one pair as well and I used two Y-connectors and have not had any issues with them. Since my amps are so close together, I put the Y-connector on the amps and only ran one RCA cable from the headunit.

JesseC
04-20-2007, 11:06 AM
This is the setup that I wish I would have gone with. I messed up and used two 2 channel amps. I am in the process of changing the boat speakers to run on a 4 channel amp.

Tower Setup: 2 Channel Clarion that is stable in 2 ohm stereo.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/TowerSpeakerSetup.jpg

Boat Speaker setup: 4 Channel Clarion that is 2 ohm stereo stable:
NOTE: by wiring in this manner, the front two speakers will NOT be as loud as the four rear speakers. I did this because everyon complains that the fronts are too loud. By putting a 4 ohm load on the fronts the amp willl put out less power to them. Since the rears are in 2 ohm load they will be louder. If the fronts are too quiet, then you just turn the gain up for the fronts.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/BoatSpeakerSetup.jpg

If any of this appears wrong, PLEASE let me know.[/img]

Buttafewcoe
04-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Yep looks good, cept I used one and 2 channel for the 6 speakers in the boat, and 3/4 for the tower .
B

tazz3069
04-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks. You have helped me out a grerat deal. I really appriciate everything you have told me. I am going to the AudioFormz web sight and ordering my first set of speakers right now. Later, I will order my second set. If you want to sell that Clarion amp, just let me know. I will be purchasing a Clarion 4 channel amp for the boat speakers.
Mark

JesseC
04-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Tazz,
I sent you a PM. Let me know what you would like to do.

Thanks.