PDA

View Full Version : Optioning a 2021 Mojo – Looking For Advice/Opinion

Hayden
09-21-2020, 08:59 PM
I know it’s not on the website builder yet but we are potentially looking at a new 2021 Mojo if the price is right. I read this forum a lot and have a surface-level opinion on many of the options available but on the ones listed below I’d appreciate hearing any other pro/con argument for including or excluding them. I haven’t listed any color/aesthetic options, just looking at mechanical right now. For the record, I have minimal audio/speaker knowledge.

The boat will be used for surfing (80%) and tubing (20%). We will throw as much weight into it as is legal/warrantied and certain things will be in for sure, (e.g. heater/surf pipe/flow 3/wakeprop/pro tower/GPS).

The stuff I’m not certain about is bulleted below. All comments welcome.

1.) 2x 8” bow speakers, sub & amp $1980 (This is just a direct upgrade over the normal 6.5” bow speakers and no sub?)
2.) 2x 8” tower speakers w/amp $1980 (Do people exclude this and shop/install their own more often than buying factory? Is there one amp standard and then you can option one for the sub and one more for the tower speakers? So 3 amps total if you did both options?)
3.) Removable seat back (rear seat only) $800 (Is this worth getting, do people find it comfortable?)
4.) Swim platform cover $230 (Is this a mini-cover that just does swim platform? Why would you want this?)
5.) We would like the option of surfing into the night and I don’t believe SC gives any option for main lighting on the tower? Any suggestions for this for the pro tower? (I know they have the underwater lights.)

Thanks again for any advice you’re willing to offer.
H.

Woody929
09-21-2020, 09:43 PM
I know it’s not on the website builder yet but we are potentially looking at a new 2021 Mojo if the price is right. I read this forum a lot and have a surface-level opinion on many of the options available but on the ones listed below I’d appreciate hearing any other pro/con argument for including or excluding them. I haven’t listed any color/aesthetic options, just looking at mechanical right now. For the record, I have minimal audio/speaker knowledge.

The boat will be used for surfing (80%) and tubing (20%). We will throw as much weight into it as is legal/warrantied and certain things will be in for sure, (e.g. heater/surf pipe/flow 3/wakeprop/pro tower/GPS).

The stuff I’m not certain about is bulleted below. All comments welcome.

1.)2x 8” bow speakers, sub & amp $1980 (This is just a direct upgrade over the normal 6.5” bow speakers and no sub?)
2.)2x 8” tower speakers w/amp $1980 (Do people exclude this and shop/install their own more often than buying factory? Is there one amp standard and then you can option one for the sub and one more for the tower speakers? So 3 amps total if you did both options?)
3.) Removable seat back (rear seat only) $800 (Is this worth getting, do people find it comfortable?)
4.)Swim platform cover $230 (Is this a mini-cover that just does swim platform? Why would you want this?)
5.)We would like the option of surfing into the night and I don’t believe SC gives any option for main lighting on the tower? Any suggestions for this for the pro tower? (I know they have the underwater lights.)

Thanks again for any advice you’re willing to offer.
H.

I’m in the same position, waiting for the info to be released so I can do an order.

On the speakers, if you opt for the upgrade, I’m pretty sure the Mojo will have a decent system. I believe the sub is even ported. I’ll opt for this after doing my own system in the last 2 boats. The wife has requested that I just order it the way I want, and now that it won’t be a crappy free air sub I’m inclined to do that.

I’m also considering the seat back on the middle seat, but I’m not sold on it yet.

I’m not aware of any tower lighting on any of the towers.

I’ve seen pictures of the pro tower, but I don’t know what it really offers for the cost. I know I’m not interested in a shorter tower. My wife got a concussion when she stepped down off the back of my LSV and whacked her head on a speaker. On my last Mojo I only folded the tower 1 time, and that was to go under a bridge when the lake was abnormally high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vonbottle
09-22-2020, 10:19 AM
we've got a deposit down on the makai and with our options related to your questions, we're getting the tower pre-wired with amp and just getting aftermarket tower speakers, saves almost $1k - just getting some mid grade speakers. the removable seat back seams neat, but i can't imagine ever using it, just seams like it'll be in the way, besides you already have two rear facing seats up front. the Pro tower, which i heard the mojo might come with, has a strip of led lighting in the middle. and the swim platform cover, which is a separate cover i believe, i found them for $100 on ebay, but i guess when you're buying a 6 figure boat, what's another $130? - of course we didn't option it either - that's a full tank of gas! are you allowed to drive the boat with fixed lights other than directional lights? i know on our lake (winnipesaukee, NH) only handheld lighting is allowed while in motion.

996scott
09-22-2020, 10:33 AM
The only thing i can say about the stereo is that we got the full wetsound with the sub and 10in tower speakers and that thing is awesome. We had a full Exile system with 4 tower speakers in our old boat and i didn't think the factory system would be that great but it is great.

the swim deck cover would only be if you were storing the boat outside i think. That would be the only reason i would get it.

The rear face seat back we skipped on. There have been several threads on it and the majority of the people say it's a pain to store and use.

vonbottle
09-22-2020, 11:06 AM
The only thing i can say about the stereo is that we got the full wetsound with the sub and 10in tower speakers and that thing is awesome. We had a full Exile system with 4 tower speakers in our old boat and i didn't think the factory system would be that great but it is great.

the swim deck cover would only be if you were storing the boat outside i think. That would be the only reason i would get it.

The rear face seat back we skipped on. There have been several threads on it and the majority of the people say it's a pain to store and use.

how is it the seat back is $800 and the bow filler cushion is $200? if the seat back were 200 i'd definitely think about it, but for 800, no thanks

Woody929
09-22-2020, 11:53 AM
I forgot to mention I had a swim platform cover on my boats when I stored them in covered outdoor storage. On my LSV, I had a cat use my platform as a scratch pad.

It was also nice if your shoes were dirty. Just don’t forget to remove it before getting on the lake, that was how I bought my second platform cover.

jph3
09-23-2020, 03:22 PM
Any pics floating around of the new mojo?

Edit: found this
https://premierboating.com/product/2021-moomba-mojo-wake-boat-design-your-own/

sandm
09-23-2020, 03:33 PM

I wouldn't put a lot of faith into that website. reading the description it lists craz several times and the starting price is almost identical to the craz and much less than the kaiyen. length lists at 22ft but mojo is rumored to be 23+.

MJHSupra
09-23-2020, 03:50 PM

Sounds like a Craz in the description and price. Mojo is supposed to be bigger than 22'.

Woody929
09-23-2020, 04:01 PM
That looks maybe like a 2020

Hayden
09-23-2020, 11:44 PM
Talking to my dealer on Monday, he said he called his "SC distributor contact", (take that however you will), and confirmed on the phone with me there that 2021 Mojo would have 4k ballast, walkthru transom, flow 3, pro tower.

bmjenkins82
09-24-2020, 10:00 AM
I've seen the pictures(on my dealers phone, he couldn't send them) and a little bit of video of the 2021 Mojo and can confirm Pro tower, walkthrough transom. The look is identical to the Kaiyan, Makai, etc.

Steve B
09-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Also thinking about a new 2021 Mojo but I have some questions about some of the other options. We boat at 1520 feet in elevation. We like to ski, wake board and want to surf. Since that falls into an "all purpose" category, should we stick with the standard prop? Does the surf pipe really make a difference? Do I really need the GPS? I know the lake very well and unlikely to move from lake to lake. Does anyone really find themselves using the heater a lot? We are in the south and the water is cool in the spring and fall but seems like something probably not needed here.

We spend a fair amount of time just sitting and enjoying music, so I am pretty sure we will get the sound system upgrades. I don't trust myself to do that.

Probably will want the windshield tinted as we have several times had phones overheat that get tossed up there.

vonbottle
09-24-2020, 12:01 PM
i asked my dealer about the surf pipe, he said they don't get it on any of their stock boats, and they option them out pretty good, and rarely do customers get them. he surfs alot and said don't bother. we were thinking about gps, but from what i hear on the facebook forum at our lake, most people just get the navionics app, i think it's like $15 (not sure if yearly or not, but way cheaper than $1200). the heater we'e on the fence about as well, $900 for probably $100 in parts - cheap fan and some flex tubing. when we test drove the makai early morning labor day weekend, my older relatives loved the heater, but i'm with you, probably won't get used a lot, but i can see being a few times when you're like, damn, wish we had those heaters, like an after dinner cruise or heading home at 10pm after watching 4th of july fireworks

jcredible
09-24-2020, 12:13 PM
Surf pipes make a big difference on noise and exhaust fumes...but I think a lot of people are struggling with welds cracking and bolts snapping on the current design(both factory and aftermarket)

larry_arizona
09-24-2020, 12:24 PM
Wouldn’t personally order a boat without the factory surf pipe or heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vonbottle
09-24-2020, 12:37 PM
Wouldn’t personally order a boat without the factory surf pipe or heater.

unfortunately the surf pipe is going to cost at least double to install later on if you decide you want it, so you're like screw it, might as well just get it just in case.....we're going to skip the pipe as we're mostly skiers at the moment, besides, i like to hear the engine.....and i'll just wear my mask while surfing, what's one more place to wear it?

larry_arizona
09-24-2020, 12:45 PM
If you low speed cruise, just keep your crew out of the backseat area to prevent the “station wagon” carbon monoxide effect.

sandm
09-24-2020, 12:49 PM
heater is location dependent. here in vegas ours will never be used. in idaho and wisconsin, we used it.
gps- it's $150 for the gps chip for our boat. won't spend the monies. we know the lake well so waste of cash. the couple times we might want it, navionics is available free for your phone. if i towed a lot to many different lakes yearly I might think about it.
last boat came with tint. hated it. looks good but it's hard AF to see out it and can only imagine at night the safety issue with it. there's a reason it's illegal to tint your front windshield in a car. all personal preference.

been boating for 13 years on wakeboats. none had surf pipes. the station wagon effect has never been noticed. I don't buy the surfpipe thing as IF co2 was a huge issue(people sick or dying regularly) the nanny state govt would have already been all over it and most of the noise for us comes from the vdrive/tranny, not the engine. the vdrive whine is the worst part. were not heavy users but estimating we have logged 800hrs in boats and no one has ever been sick, lightheaded or complained. and it's one more thing to leak/break and based on the track record, I'd pass but to each their own.......

996scott
09-24-2020, 01:41 PM
my .02 is no on the surf pipe, I'm with Sandm on that one. Never really ever noticed a need for it. Heater we have always used and won't have a boat with out it. Great for spring and fall when the weather is cool. Even in the summer the little kids are cold getting out of the water and want it on. Probably just depends on where you live and when you boat. Gps would be a waist of $ for me as well, use your phone it you need it.

larry_arizona
09-24-2020, 01:58 PM
How do you guys get free navionics? Are you all grandfathered in or something? You get 2 weeks free now and then it’s an annual fee.

rdlangston13
09-24-2020, 05:13 PM
been boating for 13 years on wakeboats. none had surf pipes. the station wagon effect has never been noticed. I don't buy the surfpipe thing as IF co2 was a huge issue(people sick or dying regularly) the nanny state govt would have already been all over it and most of the noise for us comes from the vdrive/tranny, not the engine. the vdrive whine is the worst part. were not heavy users but estimating we have logged 800hrs in boats and no one has ever been sick, lightheaded or complained. and it's one more thing to leak/break and based on the track record, I'd pass but to each their own.......

I have never had anyone get dizzy or light headed from CO either. And we idle a lot and low speed cruise. I have seen too many cracked surf pipes and some completely ripped out of boats for me to want one. Seems like having a surf pipe is more dangerous than not having one IMO. Just looking at it you can tell it is under a crap load of stress the way it hangs right into the thrust stream of the prop.

russellsmojo
09-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Run the blower when idling or surfing if concerned. Isn’t that what it’s for? It’s a “free” option.

larry_arizona
09-24-2020, 05:34 PM
Run the blower when idling or surfing if concerned. Isn’t that what it’s for? It’s a “free” option.

The blower just clears the engine bay from a build up of gasoline fumes to prevent explosions.

It would not help with engine exhaust fumes.

Isaguel
09-24-2020, 08:02 PM
5 years surfing and have never smelled or had anyone complain about the exhaust fumes while surfing. The only time fumes are an issue is when you're tying up your boots on the platform before wakeboarding. Just have to remember to shut off motor. A surf pipe would not help in this situation. I dunno, if you are convinced it helps and want peace of mind, then get it, it'll be much more expensive to install later. I did not order it on the Supra as I never had an instance in which I wished I had it with the Mojo.
The heater, that's a whole different thing. My kids love it. In spring or fall or cool nights, they will cover with a large towel and pull the vents underneath to keep warm. I ordered it in the Supra. Money well spent.

Regarding the Navionics app. I think I'm GF in. I payed 15$ in May 2018 and have not paid since and not lost any functionality. I trust it more than the built in Navi. Its great, I love it.

larry_arizona
09-24-2020, 08:27 PM
It may not have happened to any of you and hope it never does, but it does happen and surfing increases the risk.

MJHSupra
09-24-2020, 09:36 PM
I've had multiple people complain about exhaust my 2007 Supra. Installed an aftermarket one - worked great. That install did not hang off the boat like these single pipes w/o support.

I looked to install one on my SL, but have not pulled the trigger. Nobody has complained yet.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Hayden
09-24-2020, 10:37 PM
The surf pipe issues could be an older boat/engine thing. On our current (2005 LSV), we've had it 4 years now and during the first year, we had plenty of complaints from numerous people about headaches after being on the boat for more than an hour. We installed FAE and the headaches/complaints stopped. That's the reason we had it down as being included for sure but maybe there's an argument to be made that my current boat is just old and that that happens much more with that year of boat? Sounds like Larry's had similar issues though and his boats have been much more recent so not sure.

Woody929
09-24-2020, 11:28 PM
We had the FAE on our LSV and it was great. I bought one for my 16 Mojo, but the install was going to be a pain compared to the LSV so it never left the box.

It would’ve been nice to have for both the exhaust and the noise reduction. I don’t have to be able to hear the throaty V8, I know it’s there. I would rather be able to have a conversation without yelling (after I turn the volume down).

I’m probably going to option for it on the next one for 3 reasons... I missed it on my 16, I won’t have to install it, and if something happens warranty will cover it.

Shoebox
09-25-2020, 12:16 AM
Probably will want the windshield tinted as we have several times had phones overheat that get tossed up there.Maybe save the money and don't throw phones on the dash? Just a thought... [emoji57]

Isaguel
09-25-2020, 07:16 AM
We had the FAE on our LSV and it was great. I bought one for my 16 Mojo, but the install was going to be a pain compared to the LSV so it never left the box.

It would’ve been nice to have for both the exhaust and the noise reduction. I don’t have to be able to hear the throaty V8, I know it’s there. I would rather be able to have a conversation without yelling (after I turn the volume down).

I’m probably going to option for it on the next one for 3 reasons... I missed it on my 16, I won’t have to install it, and if something happens warranty will cover it.

I don't mean to discourage you from getting the FAE if you want it, my comment is on your noise concern. I believe you're getting a Supra, No? You should ride in a modern one. I'm not sure what SC did but my SL is remarkably quieter than my Mojo. I can hold a convo no problem. Its one of the first things my wife pointed out when we took delivery of our SL, how quiet it is compared to our Mojo with the same engine. Just my 2c. Maybe its just our imagination, who knows.

Woody929
09-25-2020, 07:41 AM
I don't mean to discourage you from getting the FAE if you want it, my comment is on your noise concern. I believe you're getting a Supra, No? You should ride in a modern one. I'm not sure what SC did but my SL is remarkably quieter than my Mojo. I can hold a convo no problem. Its one of the first things my wife pointed out when we took delivery of our SL, how quiet it is compared to our Mojo with the same engine. Just my 2c. Maybe its just our imagination, who knows.

‘21 Mojo, it could be quieter but only a few people at SC know for sure at this point [emoji3]
We’ve gone back and forth on the surf pipe decision more times than anything else.

larry_arizona
09-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Not trying to influence opinion really.

Perhaps the more modern catted boats aren’t as noticeable in smell, CO is odorless and may just not be as noticeable on newer boats.

There are several studies on CO poisoning on boats and although a low number per year, 30-50 cases, the majority were on ski boats.

It’s a relatively cheap option, the factory pipe is greater than the aftermarket pipes.

rdlangston13
09-25-2020, 08:05 AM
My only concern on the surf pipe is that a lot of people have had them crack on the weld and one person i know with an aftermarket one had the whole thing come off and almost sink his mojo. A couple years ago at the PWT the SA550 they were using had on and it was so quiet, all you could hear was the splash of the water so I definitely see the benefits. I am just personally too scared of the thing breaking off or cracking and sinking my boat. The noise is there but it is tolerable and I have never had an issue with exhaust fumes, not in my 17 Mojo or my 08 LSV.

larry_arizona
09-25-2020, 08:10 AM
I know the FAE has shown cracks and we have seen several pictures, I have heard but not seen the factory pipe cracking.

I will say the factory option from an engineering standpoint is more robust than the FAE.

russellsmojo
09-25-2020, 09:39 AM
If ordering a new boat it’s a no brainer. Add it for all the reasons woody said.

larry_arizona
09-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Found this article today.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mother-issues-warning-carbon-monoxide-boating-152537276.html

sandm
09-28-2020, 01:29 PM
Found this article today.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mother-issues-warning-carbon-monoxide-boating-152537276.html

and reading the boat involved, was a malibu skier. assumption would be an older vintage boat, not the newer ones today.

larry_arizona
09-28-2020, 01:32 PM
and reading the boat involved, was a malibu skier. assumption would be an older vintage boat, not the newer ones today.

I understand, just thought it coincidental we were just discussing the topic.

Sad.

sandm
09-28-2020, 02:02 PM
know it happens but it's rare. and don't get me wrong, sad that a boy died....

if I were buying an older boat like a boomerang, I would consider it. those lower draft shallower boats put the exhaust port closer to the top of the water and more chances for the backdraft. they also run carb'ed engines which will use more gas than a modern surfboat and spew out more exhaust. modern boats are 3x the draft and 4x the freeboard putting the exhaust further into the water. modern fuel injection and catted engines use less fuel so less exhaust and cats clean it up a bit more. still poisonous but more opportunity to mix with the water. older dd's also have you sitting back at the transom where newer wakeboats you are 3-5ft forward- or should be if it's moving :)

I see manufacturers that saw an opportunity with what FAE did back in the late 00's to make a $200 piece of metal and charge $800 for it feeding on some of the older thoughts on co2.

still contend if it was more widespread the gov't would already have stepped in and mandated something.

now as to noise reduction, again most of our noise seems to come from the trans/vdrive not the engine to us. people that have bought them seem split on whether or not they really reduce noise. very subjective.

great thing about living in 'merica.... choices :)

Steve B
09-28-2020, 03:00 PM
Maybe save the money and don't throw phones on the dash? Just a thought... [emoji57]

With these teenagers, I am always just happy when they take it out of their pocket before jumping in!

2in2out
09-28-2020, 10:29 PM
I understand, just thought it coincidental we were just discussing the topic.

Sad.

Last year I got Acute CO poisoning from surfing behind my 2017 Sanger. I did several full lake length runs, and was helping my buddy get up for his first time surfing. I was sitting on the engine cover for about an hour.