PDA

View Full Version : First Wakeboard...suggestions?

Rugburn
04-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I contacted wiredsports.com and sent them my information with the idea that they could suggest a wakeboard for me. They have been very helpful during the whole process. I told them Im 6' tall, 185lbs, better than average skiier, beginner wakeboarder, pulled behind a Mobius LSV. I dont want to outgrow a board as I think I would catch on pretty quickly. I would prefer a board that carves. I have a wakeskate thats plenty loose and I dont want a duplicate of that. Wiredsports.com suggested a Hyperlite Logic 141. It is a Fusion core, cap construction board with a hybrid topsheet. Id like to hear what you guys think of this board or any other that you like. Same with bindings. Ive heard alot about the CWB hinge bindings. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

qb12
04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
might look at the new cwb kink. it is a beginner/intermediate board.

most of cwb boards are a offspring of the "old" absolute mold which means they have been time tested.

ps, all the cwb hinge tech bindings are awesome. you just have to decide how much ankle support you like and go from there.

i have the zeus.

hyperlite boards are nice, but very heavy.

db

pickle311
04-03-2007, 11:33 PM
check out the CWB Faction board and bindings. I have the bindings and love them and I've heard great things about the board. I plan to demo one in the next couple of weeks.

Yellowmobius
04-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Jim,

Shoot me an e-mail.

If you are interested in a Liquid Force board I can get you setup.[/u]

hwb06
04-10-2007, 07:59 PM
i got a cwb sol with hinge tech it was great for teaching me i got right up.. i think in 07 they call it the faze.. its also a pretty good price

Smrtz
04-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Rugburn,
The key is to go to a local store where you can demo the boards. that way you can find one that you like and will compliment your riding style and allow you to progress. Too many people buy their boards for the pretty pictures on them without trying them out.

Just my 2cents but the boards arent cheap so make sure you try it and pick the one that is best for you!

Cheers
Jay

gt9118
04-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I would recommend the obrien player. Good pop and a soft landing. I have heard stay away from the CWB bindings. (I have never used any) Its just a fad right now. Just like the click in binding with snowboarding. Everyone went back to the classics. You will get a better fit with other bindings. Just my thoughts.

Wolf-
04-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Rugburn,
The key is to go to a local store where you can demo the boards. that way you can find one that you like and will compliment your riding style and allow you to progress. Too many people buy their boards for the pretty pictures on them without trying them out.

Just my 2cents but the boards arent cheap so make sure you try it and pick the one that is best for you!

Cheers
Jay

*bump*
I'll go one more.
If a local shop won't let you demo, they aren't worth buying from.

Granted, not all markets have dedicated board shops.
But a board shop that wont let you try out the gear wants a quick sale and aren't interested in you or the sport.

In Atlanta, we have Ambush (buywake.com). They are staffed by riders who know the gear.

My daughter rides a CWB. As for the pretty pictures, buy a white base board. So when if it gets damaged, you only have to mix white to repair it. The boards were leaning against the house drying out. We had a microburst and it picked up her little board and tossed it on the driveway. If my purple board had been damaged, it would like like junk after trying to fix it. *grin*

WaterDawg
04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
I have only been on a couple of boards because I am pretty new to wakeboarding myself but I will say that the CWB Hingtech bindings are really great. It is SOOOOO much easier to get in and out of them than the traditional bindings. I would definately recommend them. You get to spend more energy on the water and less getting your gear on and off!!Hope this helps.

llxlv
04-16-2007, 10:20 AM
I'll second the demo from your local pro shop.you don't want to waste alot of money on something you can't progress your riding on. I know those online prices are hard to beat. I'll pay more to support a local bussiness.

Rugburn
05-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I ended up getting a CWB Kink from a local board shop, and the guy upgraded my bindings from Vapor to Faction for the same price as Overtons was offering with the Vapors. Nice deal all around. I would rather give my business to a local guy anyway. CWB swapped colors on the sizes, the 141 is the black and red and the 134 is white. Goofy.

zippy
05-15-2007, 08:38 PM
if your looking for a good board look at hyperlite or ronix. hyperlite's murray board is a good all aroung board. ronix boards are new this year but they have many excellent boards. as for bindings, all i can say is try them. all bindings are different and what one person likes another hates.

Buttafewcoe
05-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Liquid Force..........good prices, good products.
B

tarkus70
05-16-2007, 08:10 PM
I ended up getting a CWB Kink from a local board shop, and the guy upgraded my bindings from Vapor to Faction for the same price as Overtons was offering with the Vapors. Nice deal all around. I would rather give my business to a local guy anyway. CWB swapped colors on the sizes, the 141 is the black and red and the 134 is white. Goofy.

Good call on this setup. I have the Factions on a 04 Premier. Looking to upgrade the board this year as well. I'm going to stick with CWB.

NateDog
06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
i second the Liquid Force
i have the 06 watson 134 with the watson open toe bindings and i love it. it is my second wakeboard and it is soo much better
-edges hard without fin
-even better with fin
-EXTREMELY light(one of the lightest ive ever held)
-the bindings are very easy to get in and out of and very comfortbale

though i ahve to say i love the twisting knob for tightening the boot on the murrays. very nice

Roachman
06-22-2007, 03:30 PM
I will sell a almost brand new pair of CWB Faction for $200. They are listed under the classified section.

Rugburn
07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Now that Ive had a chance to ride my CWB Kink with the Faction bindings I thought I would update my post.

I have no complaints at all for the board, I think I totally made the right purchase. Ive taken off the factory fins that came with the board last weekend now that I have a good feel for it. The Faction bindings hold my feet snug, Ive only come out of them once. Sometimes the rear hinge clasp will come undone, but thats about it. Overall they are comfy and give high ankle support. I dont see any chance of me outgrowing this board or bindings. I just need to tweak my rope length, speed of tow, etc. Having a blast on it thats for sure. I think with a helmet I will have more guts to try more things.

csumerall
07-17-2007, 01:37 AM
I went with a hyperlite 3ds and have been happy since I rode a lf omega and it was pretty decent too the 3ds had more room for advancement though