PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Moomba Boomerang

JohnnyE
09-14-2020, 10:43 AM
Hi, I am new to the forum and hoping you guys can help me out. I am looking at buying a 1995 Moomba Boomerang off of a guy for $4k. Boat looks pretty good from the pictures but wanted to know your thoughts.

1) I tried to look online but cannot find anything to show if the 1995 had wood stringers/floor or if it was fiberglass by then?
2) Guy told me he put $1100 into the boat because he brought it too close to shore and sucked up a bunch of sand? Is that a thing with these boats?
3) What should I look for when I go look at this boat? I am going to put it on the lake and familiar with boats but no very little about Boomerangs besides they look like such a fun boat.

Thanks for your help
John

bergermaister
09-14-2020, 05:56 PM
Most likely wooden stringers back then.

If he sucked up a bunch of sand he could have taken out the impeller, plugged up some orifices causing it to overheat, etc. I'd want details on the repairs, even a receipt. Your raw water intake is on the bottom of the boat so yes, you could suck up a bunch of crud if you're not careful.

Something that old is certainly going to have quirks. Look for cracks in the glass, around any handles, windshield mounts, tower mount (if it has one), swim platform, rudder/propshaft, cleats.

Does it run out straight or crank hard to one side when you let go of the wheel? Any weird vibrations at different speeds?

When was the last tune up?

Who winterizes it and what all do they do?

Compression test (if possible)

Check the bilge for taking on any water.

If there are any major cosmetic repairs required OEM replacement parts are about impossible to find / don't exist so you'd be looking at DIY fabrication repairs.

sandm
09-14-2020, 06:14 PM
berg is spot on.
my buddy in boise has one and it's a fun boat for sure but remember it waterskis/tows a tube like nothing on the water, wakeboards marginally and surfing, forget about it.
it's a tournament boat and that said any more than 4 in the boat is WAY TOO crowded and if you're towing a skier or tube, you can only really have 2 in the boat including driver. rope makes the back seat useless. but assuming you know this already if you're looking at it. we never ran with more than 3 each outing. we never went on windy days as it's a super easy boat to swamp so if you live on big water, watch out.

as you walk around the engine cover check the floor for any soft spots. it's a very easy motor to get to so if you need to r&r, they are not too painful.
berg is spot on when it comes to replacement parts. he searched for a year for a piece of the windshield and never was successful. parts just don't exist anymore for that boat other than engine/tranny parts.

sandm
09-14-2020, 06:15 PM
oh ya, and if both speedo's work, it's a unicorn that has been taken care of :)