PDA

View Full Version : Supra tower camera option

larry_arizona
09-14-2020, 07:47 AM
For those that have the tower camera option on the Supra, what are your general thoughts on it?

Can you record with it or is it effectively just a rear view mirror?

It’s $600 option, I skipped it on my 2018 due to the design flaw where the Bimini blocked the view.

Do the the newer Supra vision screens link go pros at all?

Thinking a go pro is greater than tower camera option.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaguel
09-14-2020, 08:29 AM
I have it and I love it. I tow tubes behind me and wakeboarders, it is great for keeping an eye on the riders. I have the rear mirror over the passenger side windshield so its out of my way and keep the camera on the center screen, so no matter where I look I have a visual of my riders. Would not go without it now.
You cannot record, It is a fancy rear view mirror, The Supra vision system is supposed to work with Gopro, but I have tried with both our Gopro hero 3+ and our newer GoPro 8 and neither will link with the supra vision. I have researched on various threads and many are complaining of the same issue. Apparently some people are able to link the Gopro 7, Not sure what problem is but skiers choice is not rushing to fix it. I keep hoping they'll acknowledge it and release a software fix. As it stands, I still have to control it with my phone, just keep phone on the wireless charger.

I think the rear camera was a wise choice and would get it again. My wife also loves it.

larry_arizona
09-14-2020, 09:04 AM
Thank you sir, that is the type of feedback I was looking for.

SONIC
09-14-2020, 09:18 AM
I love the tower camera, I don't even have a rear view mirror in the boat.
The transom camera is useless IMO the option should be the other way around.

I have two complaints with it though, the Bimini still interferes with it. Even with it extended it still blocks the top 1/8th of the screen or so. With the bimini stowed it completely covers the camera.

Secondly no record option.

For the gopro link to work you have to turn 5ghz off on the gopro, dunno why.
It works-ish sometimes. We hooked it up twice and never again.
It may be nice if there are only two people in the boat and you want to drive and work the gopro but otherwise just hand the camera to someone else.
You can just as easily run the gopro app on your phone in the wireless charger and have more control anyway.

I'd MUCH rather have the tower camera record than have the gopro integration personally.

Shoebox
09-14-2020, 11:28 AM
The tower camera is a nice option to have but I almost never use it. I always have the transom cam on the screen, because it's easier to see your surfer when they're in the water. Plus since I put my HRD racks on the tower, most of the view is blocked anyway.

As for the Gopro, my Hero 6 links to the boat fine, but the picture glitches and freezes. The record/stop button still works, but you can't see what it sees. When I use the gopro (which isn't often, it's a pain in many other ways) I use my phone app. It's glitchy as well, but not as bad as the Vision screen.

larry_arizona
09-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Is the resolution of the tower camera better than the transom camera? The transom camera is not very good.

I am disappointed that SC did not resolve the camera interference with the Bimini

Shoebox
09-14-2020, 11:53 AM
I had heard they have better resolution cameras now than my 2019, but on mine no it's not, which is another reason I don't use it.

SONIC
09-14-2020, 12:48 PM
I find the resolution to be perfectly fine (2020)
It's not gopro quality but more than adequate for watching the surfer. 720p-ish I'd say.

Isaguel
09-14-2020, 02:00 PM
In my experience, the bimini only interferes if the rear portion is extended. Otherwise, it works fine.

On the Gopro, I've tried switching to 2.4 ghz and still no conection.

SONIC
09-14-2020, 03:53 PM
In my experience, the bimini only interferes if the rear portion is extended. Otherwise, it works fine.

On the Gopro, I've tried switching to 2.4 ghz and still no conection.

for me if the rear portion is not extended the excess fabric falls in front of the camera. I suppose if I lifted it up over the pull point it would stay up but then i wouldn't be able to surf.
How are you situating it that it doesn't block the camera?

Isaguel
09-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Maybe your not placing the Bimini cover correctly or not retracting the rear portion entirely?
Here's is a pic of my camera. You can see the lens has unobstructed view, no interference from Bimini.
The tower is partly folded, ~10 degrees forward because I have 11 ft ceilings and cannot raise it entirely. That's why pic looks a little wonky.
But I do not see any portion of bimini if its retracted.
ANother thing is, the bimini, like most, is a PITA to close and cover with the boot, I noticed it took a little hard pushing to get it to retract all the way, so its conceivable that one might think its fully retracted when its got a couple inches to go.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200914/415f8dcf2317405cc8e9f3504571c6a5.jpg

SONIC, I have to say, I'm a little puzzled by your comment:
"I suppose if I lifted it up over the pull point it would stay up " Do U not use the bimini cover? There should not be fabric hanging over unless the cover is not on, It's pretty tight.

KnoxMojo
09-14-2020, 06:12 PM
I never use my bimini boot. It is a total pita. Use the lock or bungee cords to secure the bimini frame to the tower when I lower it.

Larry, I have been on many 19 and newer Supras, the camera is night and day difference compared to the 18.

larry_arizona
09-14-2020, 06:18 PM
Thanks guys. I added the tower camera.

Isaguel
09-14-2020, 06:30 PM
I know this is off topic but I need to bring this up because it has become the one regret about how I built my boat. It has to do with the steering wheel controls. I kick myself in the A** every time I go out and have to mess with flipping pages on the screen to get to the music page, or if not, driving and trying to press the up/down volume of next button on the upper screen portion. I wish I would not have cheaped out and just ordered the D*** steering wheel controls. If anyone buys these boats, my advice is just get it, you'll be happy you did. It's a small price for a huge convenience. Uggh.

trace
09-14-2020, 06:31 PM
One of the things no one has stated yet, unless they've changed it recently. The factory cameras are also infrared. Can be pitch black outside and you can still see stuff in the cameras that's close enough to be lit by the ring of infrared leds that surround the camera lens.

larry_arizona
09-14-2020, 06:51 PM
I know this is off topic but I need to bring this up because it has become the one regret about how I built my boat. It has to do with the steering wheel controls. I kick myself in the A** every time I go out and have to mess with flipping pages on the screen to get to the music page, or if not, driving and trying to press the up/down volume of next button on the upper screen portion. I wish I would not have cheaped out and just ordered the D*** steering wheel controls. If anyone buys these boats, my advice is just get it, you'll be happy you did. It's a small price for a huge convenience. Uggh.

New steering wheel standard for mid 2021.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200914/7414ebbe58b98044ca26bf8ca3a15dc2.jpg
It’s heated. steering wheel controls, plus adds wake plate and speed controls to buttons on rear of wheel and takes levers off the column.

Gussi wheel was standard on early 21’s, loved the gussi wheel on my 18.

Isaguel
09-14-2020, 08:50 PM
New steering wheel standard for mid 2021.

It’s heated. steering wheel controls, plus adds wake plate and speed controls to buttons on rear of wheel and takes levers off the column.

Gussi wheel was standard on early 21’s, loved the gussi wheel on my 18.

Lucky Bast****!

larry_arizona
09-14-2020, 08:55 PM
Lucky Bast****!

Heated wheel is a little over the top.

dakota4ce
09-14-2020, 10:42 PM
New wheel? Man I would take the Gussi over that one.

player1986
09-14-2020, 11:26 PM
I love the tower camera,great for keeping an eye on the riders.

tre
09-14-2020, 11:54 PM
I know you said you added the tower camera. Good move! The back of our Supra is tall so I can't see my surfer in the water at all. When I'm about to pull s surfer out of the water, I have to use the tower camera to see if they are ready. I can't see them in the mirror and I can't see them on the transom camera. My bimini was open all summer and it never intruded on the camera view. My dealer highly recommended I get the tower camera and I'm super glad I did. Frankly, it should be standard because you can't see a surfer in the water without it. I could care less about the transom camera. I never use it.

larry_arizona
09-15-2020, 07:38 AM
New wheel? Man I would take the Gussi over that one.

No doubt the gussi was a great wheel, loved it. Definitely had the bling factor although it was the only chrome in the entire interior.

But I will say the new D shape wheel is a push towards a more automotive design, and the billet aluminum matches the rest of the interior hardware.

I happen to Engineer Driver airbags and Steering Wheels, this steering wheel is straight out of a GM or FCA application.

Functionality all on the steering wheel is a bonus to me. Heated wheel is industry first and could make early and late season more comfortable.

Also going to the automotive 3 spoke design at 3:00,6:00,9:00 really opens the visibility to the dash screen.

SONIC
09-15-2020, 08:02 AM
Maybe your not placing the Bimini cover correctly or not retracting the rear portion entirely?
Here's is a pic of my camera. You can see the lens has unobstructed view, no interference from Bimini.
The tower is partly folded, ~10 degrees forward because I have 11 ft ceilings and cannot raise it entirely. That's why pic looks a little wonky.
But I do not see any portion of bimini if its retracted.
ANother thing is, the bimini, like most, is a PITA to close and cover with the boot, I noticed it took a little hard pushing to get it to retract all the way, so its conceivable that one might think its fully retracted when its got a couple inches to go.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200914/415f8dcf2317405cc8e9f3504571c6a5.jpg

SONIC, I have to say, I'm a little puzzled by your comment:
"I suppose if I lifted it up over the pull point it would stay up " Do U not use the bimini cover? There should not be fabric hanging over unless the cover is not on, It's pretty tight.

Yeah i mean without the bimini cover.
The only time mine gets the cover is for storage or long tows. (pain to take on and off when I don't have to for towing IMO)

99% of the time I fold the tower down and pull with it down no issue.
Without the cover the loose material is hanging in front of the camera. Not a huge issue as I just extend the rear portion of the bimini when i want to use the camera but still an oversight IMO.

Prospersigman
09-15-2020, 08:21 AM
Standard as in they build the $1000 into the MSRP of each boat....standard :roll:

One thing that does happen at least 1-2 times a surf session is the surf side selection button gets hit and you pull the surfer up and the wave is on the wrong side. Maybe the design to the new steering wheel will eliminate that.

Isaguel
09-15-2020, 08:29 AM
Funny how many people don't use the bimini boot, I'm kind'a surprised. I could not handle that fabric flapping in the air when you're at cruising speed. I get it though, it IS a PITA. I saw a guy with an SL struggling for about 20 mins with the cover, I just about wanted to walk up and offer my help, he seemed irritated so I wasn't sure if I would offend him and piss him off further. I eventually left the landing and he was still struggling with it.
Fortunately, I have it down to a few steps, it takes me couple mins to put it on. Took some practice though. That said, we rarely deploy our bimini as you gotta soak up every bit of sun you can here in Minnesota, it doesn't last.

Shoebox
09-15-2020, 08:33 AM
One thing that does happen at least 1-2 times a surf session is the surf side selection button gets hit and you pull the surfer up and the wave is on the wrong side. Maybe the design to the new steering wheel will eliminate that.
The only time that's happened to me was when someone unfamiliar with the boat was giving me a pull. I actually don't use the wheel buttons as often as I should. I'm so used to just using the touchscreen.

That said, we rarely deploy our bimini as you gotta soak up every bit of sun you can here in Minnesota, it doesn't last.That's funny, my bimini is out from the day it goes in the slip until the day I pull it out.

larry_arizona
09-15-2020, 08:41 AM
I am pretty good at the Bimini cover by myself.

But looking forward to the Bimini lock feature.

I use the SW controls all the time when towing riders, one less thing I have to look at

SONIC
09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
Funny how many people don't use the bimini boot, I'm kind'a surprised. I could not handle that fabric flapping in the air when you're at cruising speed. I get it though, it IS a PITA. I saw a guy with an SL struggling for about 20 mins with the cover, I just about wanted to walk up and offer my help, he seemed irritated so I wasn't sure if I would offend him and piss him off further. I eventually left the landing and he was still struggling with it.
Fortunately, I have it down to a few steps, it takes me couple mins to put it on. Took some practice though. That said, we rarely deploy our bimini as you gotta soak up every bit of sun you can here in Minnesota, it doesn't last.

If you close the windshield and put the tower down it doesn't even move in the wind when towing.
If i'm going over 65 or so I throw it on but only because I feel like I should it really doesn't seem to matter.

sandm
09-15-2020, 11:10 AM
That said, we rarely deploy our bimini as you gotta soak up every bit of sun you can here in Minnesota, it doesn't last.

4 years in green bay and bimini NEVER came out(uninstalled it the whole time I lived there). here in the desert, bimini is out on EVERY trip.
it is crazy how different the sun is in the northern midwest vs the desert. midwest sun seems to be much more "filtered" and a bright sunny day there is much different from a bright sunny day in the desert even at same temps.....

worst part of pulling the boat out is spending time at the wipedown lane zipping up the bimini. they almost all seem to be a pita until you get a system down.

KnoxMojo
09-15-2020, 07:39 PM
Saw mention of fabric flapping if the bimini boot isn't used while under way, not once has it ever been an issue for me, it doesn't move. We also deploy our bimini quite a bit and have to take the tower down and up a couple times an outing for bridge clearance, so def not using the boot, ever.

On the steering wheel controls getting hit with people driving, you can simply disable them in the settings menu. I will do that for new drivers or if my little girl wants to "drive". You can do just 1 or both remotes on the wheel.

2in2out
09-15-2020, 07:59 PM
4 years in green bay and bimini NEVER came out(uninstalled it the whole time I lived there). here in the desert, bimini is out on EVERY trip.
it is crazy how different the sun is in the northern midwest vs the desert. midwest sun seems to be much more "filtered" and a bright sunny day there is much different from a bright sunny day in the desert even at same temps.....

worst part of pulling the boat out is spending time at the wipedown lane zipping up the bimini. they almost all seem to be a pita until you get a system down.

Tahoe is 6200 ft closer to the sun, but 30 degrees cooler. Bimini is a necessary evil here as well. That's why heaters, heated seats, and steering wheels are necessary. Even on a cool day you'll blister in minutes.

NewbFam5
09-15-2020, 09:32 PM
But looking forward to the Bimini lock feature.

Two things, I use our tower camera all the time. If the boot isn't on then as mentioned the fabric can interfere but even if bimini is not deployed to the front I pull and lock the back so it is out of the way of the camera. I say good choice to add it.

The bimini lock is a piece of shit. The spring lock mechanism doesn't work very well and, with the boot off, when lowering the camera the lock releases and the bimini support will fall forward and bang against the windshield or steering wheel. If we leave the boot off then I use the rubber twist ties and lock the bimini supports together. Needs to be better engineered in my opinion unless I have a faulty bimini lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Isaguel
09-15-2020, 10:47 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200916/df4f3495e54660e376c965ee2e19ca76.jpg
Since we're on the Bimini topic, I found these two parts inside the boat, they're solid stainless steel. They look like they would be spring loaded stops for something. The only place they could be from, I'm thinking, is the bimini. I found them after a day of rough riding choppy Waters. I also found some screws that came off the speaker grills.
Does anyone recognize these and have an idea where they belong.?