PDA

View Full Version : Ordering 2021 Boats - Big Delays?

woodaran
09-12-2020, 02:43 PM
I just got done talking to my local dealership about ordering a new Moomba Max. When I told him I planned on ordering in January, he notified me that since they are very backed up, I wouldn’t see the boat until July/August. He told me orders that are being placed around now would be seen in spring.

Is that really the case with what’s going on right now??

Precious Roy
09-12-2020, 03:29 PM
I was told by my dealer to have my order in sometime in October to have a spring delivery

996scott
09-12-2020, 03:37 PM
I ordered in July for an Aug build and it arrived yesterday. I'll admit i didn't believe him when he said it would be here in Sept because of what i was hearing about it taking so long but he said that it would be here. Pretty stoked he was right!

smitty75
09-12-2020, 06:00 PM
We just put in for a Supra build slot, looking like February/March delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brad460
09-12-2020, 06:05 PM
Your dealer full of crap...straight up. This is a line shady dealers are using to force you to order one now.

My dealer has slots and we would have it sprayed in March..this is no problem.

dakota4ce
09-12-2020, 07:36 PM
They’re not “backed up.” It depends on what slot you’re buying. Mine built on time—according to the slot it was in.

They have a capped capacity.

woodaran
09-12-2020, 10:32 PM
They’re not “backed up.” It depends on what slot you’re buying. Mine built on time—according to the slot it was in.

They have a capped capacity.

How do you know what slot you’re buying?

I wanted to order in January, when do you think it would be ready if I did that?

996scott
09-12-2020, 11:08 PM
If you have a Jan build, then it should be done being built by the end of the month and delivered the next month, Feb. That's how my dealer said it worked. I think the only question is when does your dealer have a build slot available? If he has already filled all his build slots for the next few months then he doesn't have any way to order you a boat right now. I think you have to ask him when is his soonest build slot available and put a deposit down to hold that slot (whenever that is). If you were to say you don't want your boat until April and then go to your dealer in Jan or Feb and say you are ready to buy, he may say he can't get you one until end of summer. It's not that they are backed up, it's that their build slots are already full.

haknslash
09-13-2020, 12:41 AM
Friend of mine ordered his 2021 Max on July 8th and he got it on Sept 2nd. There were a little delay from his original delivery date but expected during this crazy year. I think I ordered mine in early April 2019 and got it around the beginning of May IIRC. I did a lot of back and forth with my dealer in colors and such prior to my spray date. It takes them about 7 days to build a boat.

sandm
09-13-2020, 10:45 AM
we were told back in end of june that ordering in july would net an end of october or early november delivery.
this dealer had sold all his spots until then so as dakota mentions, it's how many presells the dealer has sold, not a dealer ploy or skiers choice issue.

a busy dealer that is moving quite a bit of inventory likely means you need to be more motivated to put monies down if you want a boat sooner than later.

UNSTUCK
09-13-2020, 02:13 PM
I ordered in July for an Aug build and it arrived yesterday. I'll admit i didn't believe him when he said it would be here in Sept because of what i was hearing about it taking so long but he said that it would be here. Pretty stoked he was right!

I was there yesterday, but didn’t see it. Had you already picked it up? I did see a couple in travel covers but I think they were all Supra’s. Met a Max owner there who had a 2019 with a burned up wheel bearing that took out the hub and maybe spindle. Nice boat. They didn’t seem to interested in getting him taken care of for his Powell trip next week. I feel bad for the guy.

996scott
09-13-2020, 02:47 PM
yea it is in the travel cover. Came in on Friday with 2 Supras. :D

larry_arizona
09-14-2020, 08:22 AM
Read an interesting statistic on boat loans, 2020 saw a 355% increase in boat loans over 2019, RV loans were up 150%.

Doesn’t really help Skier’s Choice as they build a fixed number of boats per year, but mass producers like bu and MC must be killing it.

ejj
09-14-2020, 09:47 AM
Read an interesting statistic on boat loans, 2020 saw a 355% increase in boat loans over 2019, RV loans were up 150%.

Doesn’t really help Skier’s Choice as they build a fixed number of boats per year, but mass producers like bu and MC must be killing it.

Does SC typically sell out every year? (Not a rhetorical question)

A friend of mine owns a bike shop and his year has been OK--he sold out of his regularly scheduled inventory--and couldn't get more bikes to sell. He also had a hard time getting parts to fix low-end bikes--7 speed parts, 26" tires and tubes, etc. As mentioned, if a bigger manufacturer can scale up capacity quickly, they will do well. So who has this boat-buying climate helped? Dealers that don't need to discount as much? Larger dealers that have the ability to order more spec-built boats?

MJHSupra
09-14-2020, 12:57 PM
Does SC typically sell out every year? (Not a rhetorical question)

A friend of mine owns a bike shop and his year has been OK--he sold out of his regularly scheduled inventory--and couldn't get more bikes to sell. He also had a hard time getting parts to fix low-end bikes--7 speed parts, 26" tires and tubes, etc. As mentioned, if a bigger manufacturer can scale up capacity quickly, they will do well. So who has this boat-buying climate helped? Dealers that don't need to discount as much? Larger dealers that have the ability to order more spec-built boats?

Yes, they sell the allotted Supra and Mooomba boats each year. These last two years are a little different. For example, they have been making 2021 models since July-ish. For some dealers, they have deposits on all the their 2021 build slots. Each dealer only gets so many build spots. So yea, I would assume that premise will hold up, lesser discounts if they have someone else waiting to take that spot. Higher used prices b/c there is NOT that big of supply of used boats.

player1986
09-14-2020, 11:15 PM
change another dealer

larry_arizona
09-15-2020, 07:45 AM
change another dealer

Easier said than done. Dealers have territorial agreements on new orders.

They will sell you a boat from their inventory, but I doubt they would order you a new boat if you are out of there territory.

woodaran
09-15-2020, 09:54 AM
Easier said than done. Dealers have territorial agreements on new orders.

They will sell you a boat from their inventory, but I doubt they would order you a new boat if you are out of there territory.

Yeah, I believe this is correct. Plus, this is the closest dealer to me and they're still about 1.5 hours away.

I sent my dealer a build sheet and asked for which build dates he has available, but just waiting to hear back now. Curious what % off MRSP will be provided at this point in time as well.

Guppydriver
09-17-2020, 12:41 AM
I got a quote today on a 21' Max. Never specified a desired delivery need. I notice on my quote it has a spray date of March. I don't know if production is that far out, or if he just assumed (correctly) that with winter coming, I wouldn't want it (or the payment) until next spring.

korey
09-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Dealers have assigned production slots before you even walk in the door. It is NOT first come first serve for them getting in line at the factory. They can only really offer you what they have been allotted. Bigger volume dealers get more slots - and more desirable slots, like March/April spray dates. Like others said, it's territorial, so you're pretty much at the mercy of what your dealer has to offer.

Guppy, from what you posted here (march spray date) and pricing you alluded to in the other thread, if you like that boat, you need to buy it!