PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Kaiyen or Mondo

RidePC
09-06-2020, 10:32 PM
Looking to buy our first boat in the spring. Having a hard time deciding on a model because our SLC dealer has nothing to look at. Also Having a hard time committing 100k on something I’ve never seen in person.
Should I save 15k and go with a Mondo (haven’t seen)? We will be riding with a small crew of two or three adults and two young children. Any thought on model we should look at?

RidePC
09-06-2020, 10:38 PM
Our boat days will most likely be 60% chilling, 30% surf and 10% wakeboarding. Beginner and wakeboarding and wake surfing but I think I will pick up pretty fast (surfed some in ocean and snowboard a lot) Expert at chilling.

996scott
09-07-2020, 12:22 AM
Craz would be a great boat to look at also. A little less $ than the Kaiyen.

larry_arizona
09-07-2020, 07:29 AM
A demo on moomba likely will disappoint.

They all need extra ballast to shine. I would also take a look at the redesigned moomba Mojo, should be announced this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RidePC
09-07-2020, 07:53 AM
Should I look at another brand? Moomba isn’t doing demos near me. Axis has a demo this week but IMO they look really cheap compared to the Moomba. We have looked at the MC NXT and like it okay but again haven’t been on the water in one.
I know we can’t get everything we want for 100k (which is a little crazy to me), wife is more concerned about the look and feel and I’m worried about the wave, hard to make us both happy without going to 135k and up.

larry_arizona
09-07-2020, 08:41 AM
Up to you if you want to shop brands. All make good boats.

Just don’t expect each brands entry level to surf out of the box. Entry level for all brands are built lighter and just require more ballast.

For example. A 23 foot Moomba max weighs 4500# no ballast compared to a 22.5 foot Supra SA at 5800# no ballast so it’s already a 1300# disadvantage. You can add optional ballast to catch up, but most dealers won’t do it or don’t know how to do it on a demo.

What I can tell you is Moombas surf as good or better than their competitors and you get the most bang for your buck. You will get plenty of help on this forum to make a great wave.

I would say at best, a demo will let you feel the space, the boat drive ability, visibility etc.

One thing to be aware of, pay attention to bow rise while surfing. One huge bonus of Moomba/Supra is they keep bow rise down while surfing, typically in the 7.5 to 9 degree range.

Axis/bu are 12-13 deg with their power wedge, Mastercraft could be even higher.

I am always amazed when I see a bu or MC surfing and feel bad for the guy driving them.

haknslash
09-07-2020, 08:50 AM
Larry is spot on. I would still demo the boats, all of them you're interested in. Some may surf a little better than others but there will always be compromises. Best to crawl over all the boats you're interested in and demo them on the water. No reason for your Moomba dealer to not demo unless he thinks you're just tire kicking. Also get to know each dealer. We went with a Moomba knowing it wasn't going to throw the biggest stock wave compared to other competition but I knew its potential once you add the blallast and the overall fit and finish was much better than others. For us it checked all the boxes.

larry_arizona
09-07-2020, 09:37 AM
I just realized you said Salt Lake City, Marine Products is your dealer and they are very good.

They participate on this forum.

I think you are in great hands.

That said, not too many dealers have boats right now due to a hottttttt boat market from the pandemic. It’s insane.

So my take is, if they are sold out at the moment, moombas must be the desired boat.

UNSTUCK
09-07-2020, 10:28 AM
I posted a similar thread yesterday. I’m also in SLC. I’ve always been impressed with MP. They have good guys and have been very patient with me over the last 3-4 years even when I ended up not buying from them. Twice.
Demos are hard to come by right now. There are a couple great moombas on KSL right now. You might want to see if they will give you a water test. I found a nice Max that came up yesterday I’m actually heading out now to demo. Guy says he has the wave dialed in and loaded with extra ballast. I should get a much better idea from this test than a dealer test ride.

Shoebox
09-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Looking to buy our first boat in the spring. Having a hard time deciding on a model because our SLC dealer has nothing to look at. Also Having a hard time committing 100k on something I’ve never seen in person.
Should I save 15k and go with a Mondo (haven’t seen)? We will be riding with a small crew of two or three adults and two young children. Any thought on model we should look at?The Mondo is a foot shorter, so if space matters, that's a consideration. However, of all the SC boats, the Mondo should surf awesome right out of the box. 3700 lbs stock ballast in a 20.5 ft boat is great. I had a 14 Mondo with about 4k, and it made a killer wave. The 2021 is redesigned and seems legit.

I've heard that the new Mojo coming out will basically be a 2.5 ft longer version of the Mondo, and should (hopefully) come in well under 100k. I have some friends who are waiting to see details on it before deciding between Mojo and Makai.

sandm
09-07-2020, 11:16 AM
marine power helped us wrap and ship our old tige when we sold it. MUCH better service than the tige dealer in slc. another vote for them.....

that said, we have now bought all of our boats with no water test and 3 of the 4 were sight unseen from another state. these things are boats that have been tested and sorted out. surf waves will be good with any of them as long as you plan on more weight. it's nice to crawl around one to see how it "feels" but there's enough information and models have been sold long enough that IMO, you really don't need a water test. if you're looking to buy in the spring and don't mind buying dealer stock(in other words no deposit yet), wait for a month and 2021's should be in the dealers. I would bet MP will call ya when they get new models in for you to crawl all over prior to being detailed and delivered.

my monies, buy the longest boat you can swing. 20ft'ers will surf well however 22ft'ers will surf better.

So my take is, if they are sold out at the moment, moombas must be the desired boat.

hahaha... out west(vegas/phx), it was a problem for all makes but axis/bu/mc. boulder boats were the only ones with any real inventory when we shopped 2 months ago.

xbrandloyal
09-07-2020, 06:06 PM
I have seen the new Mondo in person. Looks like a great boat for smaller crews. I have a 16 CRAZ I'm trading in for Kaiyen. I usually have 8-10 on board with a larger crew so I needed the space. The CRAZ was amazing after upgrading to 1100 pounds bags in the rear.....I was close to buying Axis a few years ago and went to see them again this time around. Also considered 21 MLX...but came back to Moomba. I would find a dealer to give you a demo. We got a Kaiyen demo and was sold... Mondo is the same boat layout just smaller and a few less upgrades.

chinook
09-08-2020, 11:23 AM
I have the first 2021 Mondo on the truck now headed to SLC!
With 3600lbs of stock ballast and another 800lbs of lead i'm expecting big fun.
FYI, the 2021 hull length is now 20' even, not 20'6". Ease of home garage storage dictates the size for us.

Yep, bought it unseen! Our crew is 2 kids, 2 adults sometimes more. for only 5,6, Mondo is just fine.
With that said, if you have the room go for the bigger Kaiyen (and if money isn't a concern).

jason1973
09-09-2020, 10:01 AM
WE have had up to 8 people in our 2019 Mondo, its a tad cramped when everyone is up trying to get to the cooler, but when surfing its fine.

That said, with the mondo its all about weight just like any other moomba. But for the price its hard to beat moomba. You get some craftsmanship and quality for a fair price vs Axis, or NXT. (I can't stand the NXT lineup) and those ugly towers.. OMG.

In my mondo i upgraded the bags to 750's in the back and bought 500lbs of lead. I can surf it no problem now once i figured out the setup. Gonna add another 200lbs next summer and see what it can do. Right now i am at 3000lbs of extra weight so 3700 should be quite good.

tre
09-09-2020, 10:37 AM
If you have the money, get the Kaiyen. It is a much nicer boat. Don't expect a demo right now since there is not any inventory anywhere. You pretty much have to order without seeing anything. Check out videos, pictures, etc. Watch the Wake9 video:

https://youtu.be/GgUqDAMfmhI

I've only been behind a Kaiyen once but I did not think it needed extra weight. The stock wake is great. If you feel you need a little extra pitch, you can add a little lead but to the rear but I don't think it is needed. For the price, it is a great boat.

I would rule out Axis unless you like to stand up while you drive. When surfing the Axis, the bow rise is absolutely ridiculous.

watsoc08
09-09-2020, 01:01 PM
Do you know what the dry weight is for the new 2021 Mondo? I am checking one out tomorrow but need it to be a similar dry weight to the older models due to my hoist weight limit. Thanks.

ejj
09-09-2020, 04:06 PM
Do you know what the dry weight is for the new 2021 Mondo? I am checking one out tomorrow but need it to be a similar dry weight to the older models due to my hoist weight limit. Thanks.

I think it's listed as 4000 lbs. So imagine with gear and gas and battery its 4600 or so?

ejj
09-09-2020, 04:08 PM
WE have had up to 8 people in our 2019 Mondo, its a tad cramped when everyone is up trying to get to the cooler, but when surfing its fine.

That said, with the mondo its all about weight just like any other moomba. But for the price its hard to beat moomba. You get some craftsmanship and quality for a fair price vs Axis, or NXT. (I can't stand the NXT lineup) and those ugly towers.. OMG.

In my mondo i upgraded the bags to 750's in the back and bought 500lbs of lead. I can surf it no problem now once i figured out the setup. Gonna add another 200lbs next summer and see what it can do. Right now i am at 3000lbs of extra weight so 3700 should be quite good.

I was thinking the same thing--that with 3700 lbs ballast it should be ok first day.

The 2019+ NXT have a nice tower. The original was a dog.

If you want a smaller boat the Mondo is tough to beat.

larry_arizona
09-09-2020, 04:35 PM
All Mastercraft towers are ugly.

watsoc08
09-09-2020, 04:48 PM
I think it's listed as 4000 lbs. So imagine with gear and gas and battery its 4600 or so?

Thanks, I found confirmation on the 4000 lbs. dry weight so it should work for the upper limit of my lift allowance. It is hard to keep it full on my lake so it likely won't ever be full of gas very often when it is sitting on the hoist.

jason1973
09-10-2020, 04:22 PM
All Mastercraft towers are ugly.

ABsolutely 100% agree. I came from MC to Moomba, i could never go back as every tower they have looks like a bolt on aftermarket disaster.

seattletrav
09-22-2020, 06:21 PM
We got our 2021 Mondo a couple weeks ago and have had it out 3-4 times. We're pretty new to the 'surf thing', so not sure I can add a lot to that discussion. If you have other questions though I could probably answer. The one thing I will say is the height with the tower down is not as advertised. We have a pretty standard 8ft garage and the new tower for the 2021 does not come down as far as previous models. Right now it sits about 101" (even if you unhook the internal rope that keeps the tower from falling when lowering it), which means it won't fit in our garage. That has been the one super frustrating part. Other than that it has been pretty freaking awesome.

sandm
09-22-2020, 06:35 PM
seattle, did you get the regular or pro tower? dealers told us that the regular tower on a kaiyen needs a 9ft door but the pro tower would fit easily under 8ft.
moomba specs confirmed same thing. would assume it's the same with a mondo?

larry_arizona
09-22-2020, 06:39 PM
We got our 2021 Mondo a couple weeks ago and have had it out 3-4 times. We're pretty new to the 'surf thing', so not sure I can add a lot to that discussion. If you have other questions though I could probably answer. The one thing I will say is the height with the tower down is not as advertised. We have a pretty standard 8ft garage and the new tower for the 2021 does not come down as far as previous models. Right now it sits about 101" (even if you unhook the internal rope that keeps the tower from falling when lowering it), which means it won't fit in our garage. That has been the one super frustrating part. Other than that it has been pretty freaking awesome.

That’s a bummer on garage height, Did you read specs saying it would fit in an 8 foot door?

It should tell you in your owners manual what the height on trailer with tower down should be.

seattletrav
09-22-2020, 10:05 PM
We didn't even know there was two types. Actually, I don't remember seeing the pro version for 2019/2020 models. Was that something they added for 2021? We're working with the dealer to swap it out and pay the difference. We'll see how it goes. And yes, all the specs and ads from Moomba said the Mondo would fit in a 8ft garage. Then again, they didn't really specify which tower would enable that. We were pretty clear with the dealer though about our garage specs and the desire to fit it in, since we didn't want to rent a storage spot for it every year.

sandm
09-22-2020, 10:22 PM
being the mondo is new for 2021 the dealer may not have known.
however it was pretty widely known that the kaiyen and would assume the makai(never shopped it) will not fit under an 8ft door with standard tower but will with the pro tower. the moomba website for 2020 under the kaiyen did show 8ft garage friendly IF ordered with the pro tower.

hopefully dealer is only charging you for the ~3k that the tower cost as an upgrade, not the full bill.

bmjenkins82
09-22-2020, 10:25 PM
being the mondo is new for 2021 the dealer may not have known.
however it was pretty widely known that the kaiyen and would assume the makai(never shopped it) will not fit under an 8ft door with standard tower but will with the pro tower. the moomba website for 2020 under the kaiyen did show 8ft garage friendly IF ordered with the pro tower.

hopefully dealer is only charging you for the ~3k that the tower cost as an upgrade, not the full bill.

Pro Tower is standard on the Makai

996scott
09-22-2020, 11:18 PM
Our Craz with the Pro tower will fit in our 8ft garage. Not by much but it will fit. We were told it would not with the A3 tower

Waddle
04-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Hi Seattle,

I am in the market right now for purchasing the new 2021 Mondo - have a spray spot held - just need to sign on the dotted line.

Just wanted to check in with you again about the tower/garage height situation.

A no go with the A3 tower? And if the Pro Tower upgrade now fits?

And in summary, it sounds like there other models (Kaiyen, Makai, and Crazy) all fit with the Pro Tower, but not the A3. Can the be true about the remaining 2021 models as well?

Sorry for the long message - just trying to avoid a potential seattletrav situation.

Thanks - Happy Easter.