PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in gelcoat

Miltona Moomba
07-01-2003, 09:07 AM
Have you experienced problems with gelcoats cracking? I was waxing my boat and noticed cracks around almost every area where something is bolted through like the bow eye, three fins on bottom, rudder, prop, swim platform and windsheild. These cracks range from 2" to 5" in length. This can't be normal? Let me know your thoughts.

Yellowmobius
07-01-2003, 09:48 AM
I have wondered if this has happened to anyone else. I bought mine from Perfomance Marine, Spring Park MN. I guess I made a big mistake by not inspecting the boat real well. When I got home (300+ miles 7 or so hours) I waxed the boat and I noticed 5 cracks, very dissapointing. I contacted Skiers Choice, documented them and had it scheduled for repair. Over the first summer I noticed more and some around the swim platform brackets. The local glass shop ended up glassing in a 1' X 1' piece of aluminum and repairing the top side cracks. So far the swimplatform has held up but the top side cracks have continued to grow in numbers around 25 or 30 now and both on the topside and bottom. It was scheduled for return to the factory over the 02'/03' winter but that fell through and we are going to try it again this winter. I hope Rob comes through this time.
I love the boat and I get lots of compliments but a $30,000 boat should not be cracking like this! I would like an official response from Skiers Choice on how this will be fixed and not return. This is a REAL problem and it needs to be addressed. Contact your boat shop or Skiers Choice for warrenty repairs.

View my rig http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/olgoat1969/vwp?.dir=/&.src=ph&.dnm=mobiustruckjpg.jpg&.view=t&.done=htt p://photos.yahoo.com/bc/olgoat1969/lst?&.dir=/&.src=ph&.view=t

Miltona Moomba
07-01-2003, 03:44 PM
I have a Red 2003 Outback with just 10 hours, this is very disappointing. I'm sure it can be fixed but is still heartbreaking that after spending this much money on a boat you need to send it in for repairs after such few hours. Thanks for your response, I would like to view a response from Brian Raymond if he would be so kind.

Keaton
12-08-2003, 10:49 PM
I just bought a new 03 mobius V. It only had .9 hour on it
when I test drove it. The day after I took delivery on it, I noticed cracks in the gelcoat on passanger side around the glovebox. I looked over the whole boat to see if there were any other cracks. No cracks found. Took it to get the cracks fixed. The day I picked it up and brought home, I noticed even more cracks around the left front rub rail. This is very upsetting since my wife and I have been saving to buy this boat for 3 years. Now I feel like I bought a P.O.S. Can anyone give me any insight?
Keaton

skibohdi
12-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Same situation here.

I purchased a 2002 outback and had around 15 to 20 cracks after the first season. All were spidering up from under the rub rail. My dealer repaired everthing over the winter months and things were looking good until about half way through this season. I had around 10 to 15 cracks by the time I wrapped up for the season. Not sure if these were new ones or old ones that came through again.

I also had several coming from around the windshield mounts during the first season. Dealer explained that they needed to remount the windshield because they had trouble with the screws stripping out. That seemed to have worked. Did not have any cracks around the windshield this year.

Dealer plans on fixing the cracks again this winter. Interested to see how many I get in season number three.

I would like to know if Skiers Choice just plans on repairing this every year or if they are going to come up with a permanent solution. Starting to have serious questions whether I would purchase another Skiers Choice product. The only reason I've stayed with it this long is that my dealer has been extremely understanding of the matter.

Just my long 2 cents.

Later - Doc

Keaton
12-09-2003, 10:01 PM
The warranty says its only good for gelcoat for 1 year. Its good to see that they're still fixing them after 2 years. I looked on the supra web site and search they're bulletin board for gelcoat problems. I couldn't find one complaint on cracking gelcoat problems. Why is supra not having this problem if the molds are done the same way as moomba? I called the warranty department at skiers choice today. Talked to a guy named Luss. He said that cracks showing up is normal due to the boat settling on the trailer. Can you believe that load of crap. Iv owned 2 other boats and have never seen gelcoat cracks, and there on a cheap trailer. Im telling you their somthing wrong with moomba's molding process. Take a look at the number of complaints on gelcoat cracks in this bulletin board. I bet mastercraft or malibu doesn't have as many complaints on gelcoat cracks. I know that these cracks are cosmetic and arn't detramental to the boat but its the point of spending this amout of money on a brand new boat and having these kind of problems. My 94 Invader doen't have on crack on it. It 10 years old! I wish I would have saved more money and bought a better product. I could have saved myself the embarrassment the my family and friends. They tried to tell me not to buy a moomba but I said "no they've changed". Lord was I sooo mistaken. Now I have to try and sell a POS to an individual with no transferable warranty. Sorry your having trouble with yours too.
Keaton

DCM
12-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Keaton, I realize that having purchased an expensive toy only to have problems with it is a bummer. But if you look at the positive posts compared to the negatives about the Moomba line I think you'll find that it far out ways them. I purchased my first boat last year, an 03 Outback, put 50 hours on it over the summer, and didn't have an issue one. Sold it at the end of the summer for what I paid for it and the new owner was very pleased. I've going to order a 04 Mobius LS during the spring boat show and have no reservations. As far as the other manufacturers are concerned, they have their issues, they just seem more wide spread since they usually make twice as many or more boats a year than SC. So there are more satisfied customers to out way the bad.
Just my .02 cents.

ProXman
12-10-2003, 12:29 PM
DMC, Tell the truth, you are going to get the boat at dealer cost which is considerably lower than the rest of us out here are paying so of course it is a great deal for you. And you could get rid of them before they fall apart. For everyone's information the '02 that DMC sold went for $25,500 (tower, tower speakers, amp, Seris/cd/mp3 radio, bimini, and canvas), and the reason why he was selling it was "must go, baby on the way" now I know what the baby was.
This isn't written out of hate towards you but I feel people should know the story behind what you are telling.

noneya
12-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Actually on the other boards I visit there have been numerous complaints about other more expensive boats having gel coat problems as well as other more serious stuff. I put over 275 hours on my boat w/out any gel coat problems. I think it is similiar to the age old ford/chevy debate. I have had real bad luck w/ GM and will never buy another one, however I have met plenty of people who think that GM's are really well built and think I'm crazy for buying Ford/Dodge

Yellowmobius
12-10-2003, 02:58 PM
You sure are crazy for buying a ford or a dodge(couldn't let that one go)

I have mixed feelings on the gelcoat issue. I have been told that new epa regulations are part to blame. Not 100% sure I believe that, my boat is waiting on repairs. I have around 50small gelcoat cracks form the rub rail up.

purplepower
12-10-2003, 10:44 PM
I have to say that there is very little excuse for significant gelcoat problems on these new boats. If it was an industry wide problem (EPA regs ???) then there would be alot of noise in all the boating media. I use my boats and that is what puts a smile on my face, however pride of ownership counts for alot too. I would be foaming at the mouth if my new boat had these issues.
My 20 year old Hobie 18 (used not abused) has a few stress cracks in the gelcoat and that is OK. If my 2000 Moomba (new to me this year) had a couple that would be OK too. But a boat with one or two seasons on it? Come on guys. I am happy with my boat but I really feel for these new owners.
Tony

DCM
12-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Well ProX I did get the boat at a great deal since I have family in the business but I didn't get it at cost. It still doesn't mean that all the boats are going to have problems with their gell coat, which you remember was the TOPIC.
The other thing since you brought it up, if you new me well enough to know all the info about me buying and selling my boat, you would know that I just had a new baby as well.

SMUMATTMAN
12-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Anyone gots pics of these gel coat cracks. I would like to get a visual on what you guys are talking about. I stopped by my storage facility today to inspect to see if I'm missing something, but couldn't find any. If you got some please post a link.

As for the pickup truck debate...gotta tell ya the new F-150 is pretty sweet.

Thanks

Yellowmobius
12-12-2003, 09:41 AM
I don't have any pictures. Mine are hairline cracks that seem to start under the rub rail usually right above a screw inthe rub rail. Go around the boat and look at the rubrail, if you have the cracks they should be very easy to notice.

moombamania
12-12-2003, 10:19 AM
We had experienced some of these hairline cracks coming out from our rub rail the end of our first season with our 2000 Outback L/S.

Ron at Aqua Marine had a fantastic glass guy and Ron also said these where because some of the screws where not counter sunk. He said if they are not counter sunk it will definately spider, so he checked all anchor points and counter sunk any he found & we have never seen another.

I agree dock side pride is very important. Have your guys go over all mounting points this winter and do the counter sink thing and I'll bet next year will be crack free.

AJones
03-03-2004, 10:46 PM
I have a 96 Boomerang that we use about every Saturday and Sunday, May thru September (sometimes April & October). I haven't had any gelcoat spider webbing. The boat still looks almost new. We use it but don't abuse it.
I bass fished competitively for several years before giving it up for a more family oriented sport. I had 3 different bass boats all from major manufactures. They were used in all kinds of weather conditions 12 months a year. Snow and sleet in winter to near tornado like conditions in summer. A fiberglass boat will flex in rough conditions and over time the gelcoat will develop spider web cracks no matter who manufactures it. I wouldn't want this to happen to a new boat with only a few hours on it but if you constantly pound your hull into rough water, you will see spider webbing in time. All of my bass boats had some spider webbing but never caused any structural damage.
I like to ski in calm water so you won't see me out in 6-foot swells with my Moomba. Inboard ski boats are not made to take that kind of beating. If you want your boat to last, my advice is don't run wide open in whitecaps.

PS: Sorry if I stepped on anyone’s toes.

kglavan
06-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Any recent issues with gelcoat cracks. I want to talk to you. 6/21/04

rgreene91
06-23-2004, 02:24 PM
For what its worth, I have a 2002 outback LS. First year I had blister problems. Although it took a while and persistence on my part, Moomba replaced the hull (yes I said hull). This season when waxing my boat just before putting it in the water I noticed cracks around the platform brackets and exhaust. Moomba had the cracks fixed through my dealer within weeks. Whiel I am disappointed that this happened at all Moomba did the right thing. My friend have mastercraft and malibus with some of the same problems.

ClintM
06-23-2005, 01:26 PM
I just bought my 05 LSV last week we have been out about five times and have noticied spider cracks in a couple of places. The first one I noticed was next to the drivers seat on the floor by the center ski locker where the side of the cockpit meets the floor.
Someone said in an earlier post that skier's choice will not fix any cracks by the tower. Why would they install something if they aren't going to fix something directly related to the tower? We sold our 2001 Toyota Epic which was free of any cracks and bought this boat last week and already are seeing several after 10 hours.
This hasn't been an enjoyable first week. The first day out we were unable to go past 2300 RPM come to find out the Perfect Pass was unplugged in the engine compartment and wasn't taking up the slack. That was any easy fix but when we went back out the Perfect Pass wasn't working correctly, that was an easy fix also the linkage was hitting the plastic cover on top of the motor. I would have though the dealer would have checked that when they plugged the Perfect Pass back in. The drain plug was missing the had to find me one of those and it was missing a pin to the swim platform so they had to find one of those. With all these dealers problems that I have had and the cracks I am starting to see I am serously having some second thoughts about buying this boat. I am going over the boat this weekend and will mark all the cracks with a piece of tape before I take it in to the dealer for the first oil change so I can point out all the cracks and hopefully get them fixed.