PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Makai - Motor Question

bmjenkins82
09-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Frame of reference.. Never owned a boat. We are part of a boat club and have used the MC NXT22, Tige R21, Axis T22. MC is our favorite, but it doesn't seem like you get much in the way of features for the price of the NXT22 or 24.

We are building a lake house, have young kids and so we are buying about. I've been researching a good bit online about the different boat brands where pricing isn't in outer space. At first it was Axis A22/A24, but reading some quality issues and my wife and I are big on fit and finish and it seems Axis lags the category in that area.

Then ATX boats, but we are a little hesitant with the brand being new.

Now we are looking much closer to Moomba. Seems that are nicely built, good features etc..

We plan on having lots of people on the boat, so don't want something too small, however trying to manage cost. The Makai looks great, but my question comes down to pricing, and is the motor upgrade over the base motor something we would regret not doing? The nearly $8K premium is a big jump.

Would love your opinion, or facts from people that have seen both sides of it.

Thanks!

Brad

jph3
09-04-2020, 09:47 AM
Whats your elevation? With the idea of having lots of people on the boat, ballast, gear... you will want the upgrade.

bmjenkins82
09-04-2020, 09:59 AM
825ft.. Austin TX area

Lots of people = ~4 adults and 4-5 kids I'm not sure if that really is a lot when it comes to surfing etc..

larry_arizona
09-04-2020, 10:32 AM
You will be fine with the 400/1.76 at that elevation with the right prop.

I would also suggest waiting for the 2021 moomba mojo to be announced. 23 foot Makai variant, all new. 23 feet just seems to be the sweet spot for wake boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmjenkins82
09-04-2020, 11:16 AM
You will be fine with the 400/1.76 at that elevation with the right prop.

I would also suggest waiting for the 2021 moomba mojo to be announced. 23 foot Makai variant, all new. 23 feet just seems to be the sweet spot for wake boats.

Just spoke with my local dealer, very helpful and he mentioned similar.

Sounds like moombas are in short supply... was hoping to see some discounting, but that doesn’t seem to be the case

larry_arizona
09-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Most dealers will give you 6-8% off on a Moomba.

bmjenkins82
09-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Good to know, sounded like not much wiggle room here as half of 2021 build allocation is nearly accounted for already. TBD, still going to poke around with ATX boats and a couple other to see who delivers the most value. Appreciate all the responses so far.

SONIC
09-04-2020, 12:56 PM
Makai is a great boat, I prefer it to ATX but wouldn't discount ATX because it's new, it's just Tige's budget line.
Tige's been around for 30 years and makes a good boat.

Same relationships as Axis to Malibu and Moomba to Supra.

SONIC
09-04-2020, 12:59 PM
For your area the 400 is fine with the 1.76 trans.
My SA is a 400 and it can get on plane with full ballast, people and lead. The 450 may be nice to get there quicker but I don't feel like I'm missing much for the price difference.
The bigger motors make a much bigger difference at higher elevation 2500ft+

bmjenkins82
09-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Thank! Holding out to hear the details on the 2021 Mojo, dealer told me he was hoping to have the pricing worksheet and updated specs within the next couple weeks.

larry_arizona
09-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Thank! Holding out to hear the details on the 2021 Mojo, dealer told me he was hoping to have the pricing worksheet and updated specs within the next couple weeks.

You may want to put a deposit down soon to reserve a build slot. You can always switch models and options prior to finalizing your build.

bmjenkins82
09-04-2020, 03:18 PM
You may want to put a deposit down soon to reserve a build slot. You can always switch models and options prior to finalizing your build.

I'm tempted.. but I've never even been on a Moomba. My boat dock won't be built for months. Realistically I won't need a boat until around April. I'd like to see a couple of the boats in person before pulling the trigger.

larry_arizona
09-04-2020, 03:34 PM
I'm tempted.. but I've never even been on a Moomba. My boat dock won't be built for months. Realistically I won't need a boat until around April. I'd like to see a couple of the boats in person before pulling the trigger.

The Pandemic has made boat sales explode, used boats sell fast and new boats are not infinite. If you wait until April, you will be stuck with a dealer boat versus custom order or dealers being sold out again like this year.

MLA
09-04-2020, 03:40 PM
Then ATX boats, but we are a little hesitant with the brand being new.

Yes, its a new name, but they are built in the same house, by same people, with the same materials and components as Tige.

bmjenkins82
09-04-2020, 03:51 PM
The Pandemic has made boat sales explode, used boats sell fast and new boats are not infinite. If you wait until April, you will be stuck with a dealer boat versus custom order or dealers being sold out again like this year.

I'm just wondering if its possible to wait until the early Jan boat show which normally comes through TX and get a boat in time for the season?

Chuds
09-04-2020, 06:50 PM
Others have already posted that dealers are already sold out for 2021, I know my dealer nearly there so as others have said if you are wanting a boat for 2021 you should get a deposit on a build slot. That being said nothing is impossible, you may find one in January but I put my deposit down in August as I don't want to risk a year without it and they are almost out of builds and dealer stock is going to be limited at best.

NewbFam5
09-04-2020, 06:55 PM
Being a new boat owner, part of my decision was based on dealer support. The Tire/ATX dealer was not an option because it was basically defunct (RV sales and fishing boat sales) where they didn't really promote their lines. It was also 70 miles away. Centurion/Supreme was in play as was Supra/Moomba. I did not like the Axis build quality and didn't want a BU. I was looking at the Moomba line to begin with and kept gravitating towards Supra. Choose the SL over an RI237 for many reasons but bottom line I felt very comfortable with the dealer and their service shops (they have 3). Try to get out on the boats now and in October if you want to wait until boat show time. It would be good if you could even get behind the boat and surf so you have some idea on what the wave feels like while on a board. Just driving the boat and looking at the wave doesn't tell you if it has enough push to keep you surfing.

NewbFam5
09-04-2020, 07:01 PM
Sorry, as for the upgraded engine for a Makai, I have read a few posts where owners where a bit unhappy with the ability to get up on plane when weighted down with ballast and lead. Remember that these boats are not geared for speed so you will only be able to get low 30's mph anyway. I upgraded my Supra SL to the 450 because I didn't want it to lag when loaded down. I think Moomba is a good line and the Max makes a great wave and has lots of room. That 23' size is a great length to start with and you won't struggle with a 400.

FamilyMan
09-04-2020, 07:24 PM
A bit off topic, but how many years have you been at (presumably) Nautical boat club? Pass their boats (same assortment up here in DFW) and always wonder if people just bring extra ballast bags, how clean they keep them, do they allow eating on them etc... seems like a good deal, at least up here it’s cheaper than the slip fee alone.

jcarter20
09-04-2020, 07:37 PM
If you don’t do a lot of wakeboarding, then I would guess the 400 would be ok. However, I have the 22’ Craz with a 400. If I fully load the boat, and have a crew full of people and coolers it will struggle at little bit. I would imagine that would only get worse in a bigger boat. Don’t get me wrong, it is still a really powerful motor. surfing has never been an issue at all. It also depends on what you view as “struggling” to get on plane. I am probably over kill on everything I do. For example, I have a GMC with a 6.0 gas motor to pull the boat. I think it is a complete turd and I am looking for a diesel. Others will tell you a 6.0 will pull that boat just fine. Personally, I can’t stand the constant downshifting and running in 4th (in some cases 3rd) gear up hills. So....I am getting the biggest motor I can get. [emoji6]

larry_arizona
09-04-2020, 07:45 PM
The 1.76 transmission helps the 400 shine.

jcarter20
09-04-2020, 07:51 PM
The 1.76 transmission helps the 400 shine.

I would like to try one out fully loaded. That is what I hear.

bmjenkins82
09-04-2020, 07:58 PM
A bit off topic, but how many years have you been at (presumably) Nautical boat club? Pass their boats (same assortment up here in DFW) and always wonder if people just bring extra ballast bags, how clean they keep them, do they allow eating on them etc... seems like a good deal, at least up here it’s cheaper than the slip fee alone.

This was our first year. I would probably stick with it if I wasn’t building a lake house. After the first year($5000 initiation fee) its only $500 a month, so yeah just about slip fee money.

The reservation windows are a little annoying, morning 8-1 or afternoon 3-8. Normally I want to get out a little later than 8 or 9am, but stay out past 1pm.

They do a decent job of keeping the boats clean, for the most part you can always get a boat, but you can only have two reservations on the books at any given time.

We are just getting into boating, so I don’t know what people do for adding ballets etc. all of the boats we tried had stock balletst systems, but we haven’t played with them much.

haknslash
09-04-2020, 09:59 PM
I have yet to see an ATX in person but most reviews or people who have checked them out say the interior and quality seems a bit too budge compared o other entry level boats.

bmjenkins82
09-08-2020, 06:22 PM
Stopped by Malibu today to checkout the A22/24 interior. It's about what I expected, nothing to knock my socks off. I noticed a few stitches already pulled tight which was a concern.

One thing the dealer mentioned was Axis have a significantly higher resell value vs Moomba.. not sure if that's typical dealer speak? Can anyone attest to this? I've spent some time on Onlyinboards, but it's hard to know exactly with the variability in build specs, plus everything seems to be a little inflated dright now.

Axis didn't put on the hard sell though.. Moomba dealer told me today I had to have a non-refundably downpayment in by this Friday for a build spot... don't really like that at all.

Has anyone had much experience with the Moomba dealer in the Austin area?

larry_arizona
09-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Keep in mind Axis/bu is a mass production boat company and Moomba/Supra is a boutique boat building company.

One builds 6000 boats and the other 1500.

1500 moomba/Supras go fast.

Put my deposit down weeks ago, build slots are filling up for custom builds.

dakota4ce
09-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Higher resale line is gibberish.

larry_arizona
09-08-2020, 06:52 PM
I searched it only inboards.....

All I gotta say is wow this boat is used.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2019-Axis-A22-for-sale-Danbury-Connecticut-115741.aspx

Shoebox
09-08-2020, 07:59 PM
Just driving the boat and looking at the wave doesn't tell you if it has enough push to keep you surfing.

Anyone who buys any new surf boat and "can't find the push" either doesn't know how to set up a boat at all, doesn't know how to surf, or both.

jcarter20
09-08-2020, 09:26 PM
Higher resale line is gibberish.

Yep. Malibu is riding high on the Malibu of old before they were publicly traded and mass produced. I personally would not buy one. I rode in a surfed a new ‘21 LSV 23. That boat sold for $142k. No fing way I would pay that for that boat. They have also cheapened up the interior. The wave and wake of a Malibu and Axis is still really good. Fit and finish do not match the price point compared to Moomba and Supra in my opinion. My buddies 2017 also had numerous gelcoat issues right off the line.

Jim_
09-08-2020, 10:01 PM
We just picked up our Makai Friday and had it out over the weekend. 5 adults / 4 kids (Stock ballast) and the 400 did just fine in Livingston. I was a bit skeptical as well but the shorter gear ratio seems to help a lot.

Isaguel
09-08-2020, 10:06 PM
I searched it only inboards.....

All I gotta say is wow this boat is used.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2019-Axis-A22-for-sale-Danbury-Connecticut-115741.aspx

Geesh, 920 hrs. Must of been used in a wakeboard school maybe, or a rental?

bmjenkins82
09-08-2020, 10:10 PM
We just picked up our Makai Friday and had it out over the weekend. 5 adults / 4 kids (Stock ballast) and the 400 did just fine in Livingston. I was a bit skeptical as well but the shorter gear ratio seems to help a lot.

Jim - What is your color combo? We've been looking at the blue/silver/black combos. Your tiny thumbnail looks great! Any interior shots?

NewbFam5
09-08-2020, 10:12 PM
Anyone who buys any new surf boat and "can't find the push" either doesn't know how to set up a boat at all, doesn't know how to surf, or both.

Agree, that is why I was texting you with your setup! The wave on my SL was OK at best before I added lead. Having the right board also helps. Dealer didn't really help me set up the boat so it took me coming back here to review AW settings and then asking about lead to get it right. Now my wave is really good even for a newer surfer. Before I was able to surf but would easily fall out of the wave. Now I can hang way back and get back into the pocket most of the time. Wish I would have added lead out of the gate so I wouldn't have spent half the summer trying to get the boat setup correctly.

Jim_
09-08-2020, 10:42 PM
Jim - What is your color combo? We've been looking at the blue/silver/black combos. Your tiny thumbnail looks great! Any interior shots?
Dealer still has it up on their site here: https://www.rinkersboatworld.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=9165487&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

Unfortunately, we didn't take many pictures over the weekend. We were having too much fun :D I'll see if I can get the few we did get uploaded.

htfit
09-09-2020, 08:15 AM
Stopped by Malibu today to checkout the A22/24 interior. It's about what I expected, nothing to knock my socks off. I noticed a few stitches already pulled tight which was a concern.

One thing the dealer mentioned was Axis have a significantly higher resell value vs Moomba.. not sure if that's typical dealer speak? Can anyone attest to this? I've spent some time on Onlyinboards, but it's hard to know exactly with the variability in build specs, plus everything seems to be a little inflated dright now.

Axis didn't put on the hard sell though.. Moomba dealer told me today I had to have a non-refundably downpayment in by this Friday for a build spot... don't really like that at all.

Has anyone had much experience with the Moomba dealer in the Austin area?I have a little experience with the moomba dealer in Austin and they treated me right and steered me in the right direction when I needed help and didn't charge me when they very well could of.

With Malibu dealer in RR, my friend has had issues getting warranty work done on his 2019 T22.

They both have advantages but spending time in both, I like my Moomba better. Way more spacious (Max vs t22). Nicer interior, more storage, g6 pump system with reversible pumps vs using the aerator pumps on Axis (It is like a birds nest of tubes and difficult getting center drain plug out on Axis)

The big advantage to the Axis is the surf watch you can get, so the surfer can switch sides, control speed, and adjust power wedge.

Txfrs are faster on the Moomba.

Not sure I buy the higher resale value for the Axis. I think both boats hold value, in fact, what v drive inboard doesn't hold there value?

I would imagine you would be happy with either boat.

For me I think the Transom walk through would be worth it on the Makai. Then the kids are not constantly jumping on the seats and vinyl going back and forth to the back.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

bmjenkins82
09-09-2020, 08:41 AM
I have a little experience with the moomba dealer in Austin and they treated me right and steered me in the right direction when I needed help and didn't charge me when they very well could of.

With Malibu dealer in RR, my friend has had issues getting warranty work done on his 2019 T22.

They both have advantages but spending time in both, I like my Moomba better. Way more spacious (Max vs t22). Nicer interior, more storage, g6 pump system with reversible pumps vs using the aerator pumps on Axis (It is like a birds nest of tubes and difficult getting center drain plug out on Axis)

The big advantage to the Axis is the surf watch you can get, so the surfer can switch sides, control speed, and adjust power wedge.

Txfrs are faster on the Moomba.

Not sure I buy the higher resale value for the Axis. I think both boats hold value, in fact, what v drive inboard doesn't hold there value?

I would imagine you would be happy with either boat.

For me I think the Transom walk through would be worth it on the Makai. Then the kids are not constantly jumping on the seats and vinyl going back and forth to the back.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I appreciate the feedback.. your thoughts are pretty much what my gut feeling is as well. I really like the Transom walkthrough. Watching my kids this weekend anchored in a cove, they were back and forth in the boat 100 times across the transom(with no walkthrough, MC NXT22, boat club).

vonbottle
09-09-2020, 10:36 AM
I appreciate the feedback.. your thoughts are pretty much what my gut feeling is as well. I really like the Transom walkthrough. Watching my kids this weekend anchored in a cove, they were back and forth in the boat 100 times across the transom(with no walkthrough, MC NXT22, boat club).

we just test drove a craz and a makai this last weekend - thought we were going with the craz as were trying to stick to a budget, but once we got in, just seemed too small for the number of people we would typically have on the boat, the bow seating is cramped, same as the 20' glastron we're upgrading from. then we got on the makai, the two extra feet and squared off bow make an enormous difference - and we figured if we're already spending craz money, what's another $10k give or take. we had seven people on our test drive and the standard engine moves that boat no problem. regarding engine, dealer said of the 30 or so moombas they've sold the last two years, only one optioned for the bigger engine, he said the 400 was perfectly fine for the makai. the pro tower and walk thru are nice features too.

bmjenkins82
09-09-2020, 10:45 AM
Thanks - I’m leaning towards the makai as well. Love the walkthrough! Lucky you were able to demo them! We first started the search at $70kish.... it’s somehow a slippery uphill slope when you start saying another $10k here... another $20k there. Before long I’ll be looking at the Paragon.... LOL!!

vonbottle
09-09-2020, 11:15 AM
Thanks - IÂ’m leaning towards the makai as well. Love the walkthrough! Lucky you were able to demo them! We first started the search at $70kish.... itÂ’s somehow a slippery uphill slope when you start saying another $10k here... another $20k there. Before long IÂ’ll be looking at the Paragon.... LOL!!

tell me about it, initially we were looking at the max as we were looking to stay around $70k (lightly optioned) and it seems like a good bargain, but not a great ski boat as that's what we mostly do now, so then had our eyes on the craz, but then then the mojo - cause why not, only a couple grand more. but since the new mojo isn't out yet, and it'll probably be nearing the makai in price, why not a few thousand more! it's a very very slippery slope indeed. and now that we're getting this boat that's about $90k now, can't just leave it tied up in the boathouse and worry about it when we're not there, now need to plunk down another $12k for a cable lift system in our boathouse. a boat we had years ago was totaled when the rear ropes broke during a storm and we weren't there, bow was destroyed and it sank in the slip.....so needless to say we put a deposit down on the makai. we test drove a used 2019 model they happened to have (we're in NH)

bmjenkins82
09-09-2020, 11:33 AM
tell me about it, initially we were looking at the max as we were looking to stay around $70k (lightly optioned) and it seems like a good bargain, but not a great ski boat as that's what we mostly do now, so then had our eyes on the craz, but then then the mojo - cause why not, only a couple grand more. but since the new mojo isn't out yet, and it'll probably be nearing the makai in price, why not a few thousand more! it's a very very slippery slope indeed. and now that we're getting this boat that's about $90k now, can't just leave it tied up in the boathouse and worry about it when we're not there, now need to plunk down another $12k for a cable lift system in our boathouse. a boat we had years ago was totaled when the rear ropes broke during a storm and we weren't there, bow was destroyed and it sank in the slip.....so needless to say we put a deposit down on the makai. we test drove a used 2019 model they happened to have (we're in NH)

LOL!! Talk about boathouse... that's a whole other story on my end. It's more than the damn boat.

TXSurf4
09-09-2020, 02:31 PM
LOL!! Talk about boathouse... that's a whole other story on my end. It's more than the damn boat.

Ya we learned that too! Boat houses are not cheap. Is that going to be on Travis or Lake Austin?

I wonder if there is anyone on here that is in the Austin area that would let you crawl all over their boat and take you out for a ride? If you were down this way I would take you out no problem.

As far as build spots and boat show season goes some dealers will let you reserve your spot now and still throw in all of the boat show incentives. It is definitely worth the ask. If they have a Jan/Feb spray date available that is ideal for getting a full season use out of it. Ours was the beginning of February and we were on the water in early March. We got the break-in done and the 20hr service all done in March and were ready to go for the whole season.

bmjenkins82
09-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Ya we learned that too! Boat houses are not cheap. Is that going to be on Travis or Lake Austin?

I wonder if there is anyone on here that is in the Austin area that would let you crawl all over their boat and take you out for a ride? If you were down this way I would take you out no problem.

As far as build spots and boat show season goes some dealers will let you reserve your spot now and still throw in all of the boat show incentives. It is definitely worth the ask. If they have a Jan/Feb spray date available that is ideal for getting a full season use out of it. Ours was the beginning of February and we were on the water in early March. We got the break-in done and the 20hr service all done in March and were ready to go for the whole season.

LBJ, Kingsland area.

I had a member from this forum in Houston area offer me the opportunity to check out his 2021 Makai!

Malibu dealer mentioned they don't think there will be a boat show this season. Potentially a dealer parking lot show, and they think they'll have some sort of incentives at that time.

TXSurf4
09-09-2020, 03:38 PM
LBJ, Kingsland area.

I had a member from this forum in Houston area offer me the opportunity to check out his 2021 Makai!

Malibu dealer mentioned they don't think there will be a boat show this season. Potentially a dealer parking lot show, and they think they'll have some sort of incentives at that time.

Nice!! LBJ is a great lake!

There you go! I thought there might be someone up closer to you. Do you know if he has the 400 or the 450?

Ya that is true about there nor being a show but I am sure they will still honor the incentives they usually offer.

Jimm
09-09-2020, 10:39 PM
Having gotten to know some other wake boat owners this summer at our lake, I've been in several other manufacturers boats. Rode in an 2020 Axis A24 this weekend and didn't much care for it overall. It was shiny and all but the finishes just don't compare to what Moomba is offering at all.

bmjenkins82
09-10-2020, 01:17 PM
2020 Mojo.. are the long seats on a hinge like the Makai? I'm starting to wonder if the Makai is too damn big to fit in my new 25' boat slip being built...

TXSurf4
09-10-2020, 02:25 PM
2020 Mojo.. are the long seats on a hinge like the Makai? I'm starting to wonder if the Makai is too damn big to fit in my new 25' boat slip being built...

No they are not, now the 2021.....who knows lol. In 2020 I believe the only Moomba boats with hinged seats are the Makai and Kayen. And you will need more than 25' feet in a slip for the Makai if you want it all under the roof. With the platform it is 26'5". We are losing a little more than deck space on our dock than I was hoping as we had to make that slip longer than I originally thought.

bmjenkins82
09-11-2020, 09:59 PM
Might pull the trigger soon on a 21 Makai.. let me know your thoughts, and see if I'm missing anything on the build sheet

bmjenkins82
09-11-2020, 10:00 PM
PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
ENGINES
2020 INDMAR 6.2L FORD RAPTOR 400, CATALYST W/1.76 TRANS V-DRIVE
SURF SYSTEM
FLOW 3 SURF SYSTEM (6 PUMPS)
+$2590
WAKE ENHANCEMENT OPTIONS
AUTOWAKE W/ MULTISENSOR TECHNOLOGY (REQUIRES SURF SYSTEM)
+$1710
PROP OPTIONS
PROP, NIBRAL, OJ 15.5X16.5 4-BLADE (GENERAL USE)
EXTERIOR OPTIONS
SPRAY PATTERN
CLASSIC
GELCOAT MAIN PANEL COLOR
GUNMETAL METAL FLAKE
+$600
GELCOAT ACCENT COLOR
WHITE
GELCOAT DECK COLOR
BLACK
+$300
GELCOAT HULL COLOR
BLACK
+$300
DECAL OPTIONS
MOOMBA MIDDIE PREMIUM LOGO
RUBRAIL OPTIONS
STAINLESS STEEL RUBRAIL (BLACK)
OTHER APPEARANCE OPTIONS
DOCKING LIGHTS
+$300
INTERIOR OPTIONS
UPHOLSTERY BASE COLOR
LIGHT GRAPHITE DIAM / LIGHT GRAPHITE MAR
UPHOLSTERY ACCENT PANEL
BLACK TREXX
UPHOLSTERY WELT COLOR
BLACK TREXX
FLOORING OPTIONS
GATORSTEP FLOOR & DECK KIT (LIGHT GREY)
+$560
TOWER OPTIONS
TOWER OPTIONS
PRO TOWER (BLACK) W/ BLACK SHIELD
TOWER APPEARANCE UPGRADE
PRO APPEARANCE UPGRADE (WHITE) (INCLUDES FOLDING BIMINI ARM)
+$300
TOWER AUDIO
PREMIUM WETSOUNDS STEREO PACKAGE (BOW SPEAKERS, SUB, REV 10)(REVO SPEAKERS,SYN AMPS)
+$3670
TOWER ACCESSORIES
WAKEBOARD RACKS WITH QUICK RELEASE SWIVEL
+$1270
TOWER BIMINI
TOWER BIMINI, PREMIUM PRO WITH ARMS AND SURF STORAGE - BLACK
+$1970
PRODUCT FEATURES
UPHOLSTERY OPTIONS
ADJUSTABLE SEAT BASE
+$230
CANVAS OPTIONS
FULL BOAT COVER W/ HT (CHARCOAL)
+$1050
CANVAS OPTIONS
SWIM PLATFORM COVER
+$230
MISCELLANEOUS
DEPTH FINDER
+$390
MISCELLANEOUS
DUAL BATTERY SET-UP WITH CHARGER
+$330
MISCELLANEOUS
SURF PIPE EXHAUST UPGRADE
+$720
MISCELLANEOUS
WATER STRAINER AND FLUSH KIT
+$220
TRAILER
TANDEM SPRING AXLE W/DISC BRAKES
TRAILER FRAME COLOR
TRAILER FRAME COLOR - BLACK
TRAILER PINSTRIPE COLOR
NO PINSTRIPE
TRAILER WHEEL OPTIONS
SPARE TIRE WITH BRACKET (ALUMINUM) (TANDEM)
+$460
Colors are simulated and actual colors may vary. Models shown may vary depending on available options. Please contact a dealer for questions regarding your order. Factory installed prices shown. Prices listed are intended only as a guideline and are subject to change. All prices reflect MSRP in US Dollars and apply to the US only. Pricing does not include dealer preparation, fees, taxes, freight or registration fees. Dealer alone sets the final price.

BASE PRICE
$83,660
ADD-ON PRICE
$17,200
TOTAL MSRP (USD)
$100,860

Chuds
09-11-2020, 10:34 PM
I am pretty new to this whole thing (just ordered a new Mondo) but I would think based on what I have been reading that with the 400 in a boat that big if you plan on loading it up you will want to change the prop. But as I said this is my first moomba so others would be able to confirm.

dakota4ce
09-11-2020, 11:04 PM
I am pretty new to this whole thing (just ordered a new Mondo) but I would think based on what I have been reading that with the 400 in a boat that big if you plan on loading it up you will want to change the prop. But as I said this is my first moomba so others would be able to confirm.

That prop should hunt just fine.

bmjenkins82
09-11-2020, 11:05 PM
The standard general purpose prop?

jcarter20
09-12-2020, 12:37 PM
One thing to consider. I hated those regular surf / wake tines from my old boat. Boards flop around in rough water or wind and the bunges stretch out. I ordered my without tines and added the PTM clamps. They are $4,000 vs. $1,200 which is ridiculous, but it honestly was worth it for me. I would also get the PTM mirror with extension. My Mirror is always in my line of sight. I will be ordering the PTM with extender bracket this winter for mine.

jcarter20
09-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Also, ask the dealer if the boat cover is trailerable. I found out after the fact it was not. Which irritated me because I would have not ordered it and got a custom one. However, I still trailer with it in long trips and have not had an issue in 3yrs. If your aren’t trailering, then it is not an issue. It just took me by surprise.

Trailer steps are awesome too if you didn’t include those. Helps people get out of the boat when it is on land.

tre
09-12-2020, 02:30 PM
Your build looks great. BTW, I got my deposit in this time last year but you have until your boat is built to lock in your configuration. Last year, that was months for me. I put a deposit down in Sept and my boat was built in Feb or so. It arrived at my dealer in April. The one thing I did was upgrade the prop. Others can tell you for sure but you may want to get the 15.5x15 for a little extra oomph getting out of the water. It will make the top speed slightly lower and RPM slight higher but it will get you on plane faster. likely a good upgrade.

Personally, I would never trailer my boat with the cover on. They all scratch up the gel coat.

Isaguel
09-12-2020, 02:35 PM
One thing to consider. I hated those regular surf / wake tines from my old boat. Boards flop around in rough water or wind and the bunges stretch out. I ordered my without tines and added the PTM clamps. They are $4,000 vs. $1,200 which is ridiculous, but it honestly was worth it for me. I would also get the PTM mirror with extension. My Mirror is always in my line of sight. I will be ordering the PTM with extender bracket this winter for mine.

I guess you are referring to the PTM clamping racks that come with the supra line. Do they sell an adapter to go on the Moomba tower, b/c the racks on the supra tower have a different arm attachment setup.

dakota4ce
09-12-2020, 07:39 PM
It’s a Roswell mounting. If you’re looking for adapters.

jcarter20
09-13-2020, 03:26 PM
I guess you are referring to the PTM clamping racks that come with the supra line. Do they sell an adapter to go on the Moomba tower, b/c the racks on the supra tower have a different arm attachment setup.

Mine bolted directly to my tower, no adapter.

jcarter20
09-13-2020, 03:30 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200913/78e92b262cb0a46be0b32f521c922a36.jpg

jcarter20
09-13-2020, 03:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200913/05b78ba9700e083993894d5878c085ab.jpg

jcarter20
09-13-2020, 03:35 PM
Your build looks great. BTW, I got my deposit in this time last year but you have until your boat is built to lock in your configuration. Last year, that was months for me. I put a deposit down in Sept and my boat was built in Feb or so. It arrived at my dealer in April. The one thing I did was upgrade the prop. Others can tell you for sure but you may want to get the 15.5x15 for a little extra oomph getting out of the water. It will make the top speed slightly lower and RPM slight higher but it will get you on plane faster. likely a good upgrade.

Personally, I would never trailer my boat with the cover on. They all scratch up the gel coat.

I have towed with the cover off a few times on a 5 hr trip to the lake to avoid the scratching. However, someone in this forum had a tip to wrap from the rub rail up with Saran Wrap. I have done that for the last 3 years and no scratches on my gel coat at all. Even the black still looks perfect. I like to tow with the cover to avoid the road grime that ends up in the boat on long trips. Especially if it rains.

larry_arizona
09-13-2020, 04:48 PM
Get an outer armor cover, they pull a tight vacuum at highway speed and do not scratch or buff the gelcoat.

Wake 9 towed a 2019SL 3500+ miles and cover left no scratches.

I towed mine at least 2000 miles cover on without a scratch or scuff.

TXSurf4
09-15-2020, 09:41 AM
Get an outer armor cover, they pull a tight vacuum at highway speed and do not scratch or buff the gelcoat.

Wake 9 towed a 2019SL 3500+ miles and cover left no scratches.

I towed mine at least 2000 miles cover on without a scratch or scuff.

Outer Armor cover FTW!!! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200915/50d21263ea30ecb26accb873114f6057.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200915/8647b4afa1069f59172eb55216c83471.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200915/8291ad39bc430caed2c67008848426ba.jpg
It really does tow awesome and is priced the same as the factory cover!!

TXSurf4
09-15-2020, 10:04 AM
PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
ENGINES
2020 INDMAR 6.2L FORD RAPTOR 400, CATALYST W/1.76 TRANS V-DRIVE
SURF SYSTEM
FLOW 3 SURF SYSTEM (6 PUMPS)
+$2590
WAKE ENHANCEMENT OPTIONS
AUTOWAKE W/ MULTISENSOR TECHNOLOGY (REQUIRES SURF SYSTEM)
+$1710
PROP OPTIONS
PROP, NIBRAL, OJ 15.5X16.5 4-BLADE (GENERAL USE)
EXTERIOR OPTIONS
SPRAY PATTERN
CLASSIC
GELCOAT MAIN PANEL COLOR
GUNMETAL METAL FLAKE
+$600
GELCOAT ACCENT COLOR
WHITE
GELCOAT DECK COLOR
BLACK
+$300
GELCOAT HULL COLOR
BLACK
+$300
DECAL OPTIONS
MOOMBA MIDDIE PREMIUM LOGO
RUBRAIL OPTIONS
STAINLESS STEEL RUBRAIL (BLACK)
OTHER APPEARANCE OPTIONS
DOCKING LIGHTS
+$300
INTERIOR OPTIONS
UPHOLSTERY BASE COLOR
LIGHT GRAPHITE DIAM / LIGHT GRAPHITE MAR
UPHOLSTERY ACCENT PANEL
BLACK TREXX
UPHOLSTERY WELT COLOR
BLACK TREXX
FLOORING OPTIONS
GATORSTEP FLOOR & DECK KIT (LIGHT GREY)
+$560
TOWER OPTIONS
TOWER OPTIONS
PRO TOWER (BLACK) W/ BLACK SHIELD
TOWER APPEARANCE UPGRADE
PRO APPEARANCE UPGRADE (WHITE) (INCLUDES FOLDING BIMINI ARM)
+$300
TOWER AUDIO
PREMIUM WETSOUNDS STEREO PACKAGE (BOW SPEAKERS, SUB, REV 10)(REVO SPEAKERS,SYN AMPS)
+$3670
TOWER ACCESSORIES
WAKEBOARD RACKS WITH QUICK RELEASE SWIVEL
+$1270
TOWER BIMINI
TOWER BIMINI, PREMIUM PRO WITH ARMS AND SURF STORAGE - BLACK
+$1970
PRODUCT FEATURES
UPHOLSTERY OPTIONS
ADJUSTABLE SEAT BASE
+$230
CANVAS OPTIONS
FULL BOAT COVER W/ HT (CHARCOAL)
+$1050
CANVAS OPTIONS
SWIM PLATFORM COVER
+$230
MISCELLANEOUS
DEPTH FINDER
+$390
MISCELLANEOUS
DUAL BATTERY SET-UP WITH CHARGER
+$330
MISCELLANEOUS
SURF PIPE EXHAUST UPGRADE
+$720
MISCELLANEOUS
WATER STRAINER AND FLUSH KIT
+$220
TRAILER
TANDEM SPRING AXLE W/DISC BRAKES
TRAILER FRAME COLOR
TRAILER FRAME COLOR - BLACK
TRAILER PINSTRIPE COLOR
NO PINSTRIPE
TRAILER WHEEL OPTIONS
SPARE TIRE WITH BRACKET (ALUMINUM) (TANDEM)
+$460
Colors are simulated and actual colors may vary. Models shown may vary depending on available options. Please contact a dealer for questions regarding your order. Factory installed prices shown. Prices listed are intended only as a guideline and are subject to change. All prices reflect MSRP in US Dollars and apply to the US only. Pricing does not include dealer preparation, fees, taxes, freight or registration fees. Dealer alone sets the final price.

BASE PRICE
$83,660
ADD-ON PRICE
$17,200
TOTAL MSRP (USD)
$100,860

Just my opinion so take it FWIW personally I would do the following:

Add GPS Cruise & Mapping
Go with the "Biggie Permium Logo" as the "Middie" will look small on this boat
Board Racks are all personal preference
I would skip the factory boat cover and get an Outer Armor
Add Transom Trailer Steps is a must.....even though your boat will live on a lift needing to get in it once while it is on the trailer will make it worth the $ and note that they are welded on so not easily added after the fact.
Add Transom Trailer Straps......unless your dealer is throwing some in.

Boat looks like a great build!!!

bmjenkins82
09-15-2020, 10:14 AM
Background: The boat will live at my own boat dock on a relatively small lake. I don't know that I'll need any maps, and I've heard GPS is only of value if you are on rivers?

Appreciate the advice on the trailer.. to be honest I was trying to just get away with the cheapest trailer possible as I have no plans of using it other than getting it to the dealership for service.

Is the Outer Armor cover less expensive than the factory cover? Easier to install? Just overall better quality?

I'm already tapping the higher limit of what I want to spend, and while these are all just small little adders.. it all ADDS UP QUICK!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice on the logo.. will change that back to Biggie

SONIC
09-15-2020, 10:16 AM

Add GPS Cruise & Mapping
Add Transom Trailer Steps is a must.....even though your boat will live on a lift needing to get in it once while it is on the trailer will make it worth the $ and note that they are welded on so not easily added after the fact.

I agree with all of the above.
Outer Armor cover. Transom steps. GPS cruise are all must haves IMO.

The GPS cruise is great for surfing as it's more accurate.
outer armor is about the same price as the factory cover. They make the factory covers for Supras and it's just a nicer cover. Nicest one i've seen/used by far.

larry_arizona
09-15-2020, 10:22 AM
Outer armor cover is magnitudes greater than moomba factory cover.

Maps are awesome as it gives depth maps of lakes, might not help you if you already know hazards on your lake.

bmjenkins82
09-15-2020, 10:27 AM
Outer armor cover is magnitudes greater than moomba factory cover.

Maps are awesome as it gives depth maps of lakes, might not help you if you already know hazards on your lake.

Ah, the depths are a good feature to know. Appreciate that feedback, I just assumed it would show my spot on the lake which was of little value.

Thanks on the points about the cover, I'll check them out.

larry_arizona
09-15-2020, 10:32 AM
Not sure on aftermarket cost of outer armor cover.

Supra factory cover is from outer armor and is a $1200 option. That is MSRP, so consider the discount when factoring in real price.

sandm
09-15-2020, 11:03 AM
a little more monies but have you considered a custom cover if it's going to reside on a lift? getting something that protects the sides from sun and fading?
if you don't plan on towing other than to the dealer it really doesn't matter if you get a cover that stays on tight during towing.
the mooring cover we had made was more than the factory covers but custom made with tower down and sides were protected. zippers were locking.

TXSurf4
09-15-2020, 11:22 AM
Background: The boat will live at my own boat dock on a relatively small lake. I don't know that I'll need any maps, and I've heard GPS is only of value if you are on rivers?

Appreciate the advice on the trailer.. to be honest I was trying to just get away with the cheapest trailer possible as I have no plans of using it other than getting it to the dealership for service.

Is the Outer Armor cover less expensive than the factory cover? Easier to install? Just overall better quality?

I'm already tapping the higher limit of what I want to spend, and while these are all just small little adders.. it all ADDS UP QUICK!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice on the logo.. will change that back to Biggie

First I will say I completely understand how all of this adds up quickly. The things I suggested are things I would add to your build now as going back and adding them is much more $ than just optioning now and I feel they add a lot of convenience but again just my opinion.

The maps are great to mark/show any hazards and shallow areas on the lake for those times when you aren't behind the wheel. They are also great if you plan to travel with the boat to new lakes. TBH I grew up on boats and we always had some sort of graph on every boat so not having one would feel extremely weird. I say that bc maybe it is just a personal thing for me lol. As far as rivers with the GPS Speed I can't comment with a lot of certainty as I haven't been on a river in anything but my fishing boat and it is not a concern there but I believe paddle wheels are better for rivers and boarding.

On the trailer I completely understand as we did the same thing knowing ours would end up in the lift at the lake house once completed. But for us our dealer isn't close to the lake house and we still enjoy taking the boat on vacations to new lakes so the steps are a must when traveling.

The Outer Armor Cover is the same exact price as the factory cover $1050 or at least it was when I bought mine last year. It is a much better cover for tailering as it pulls a vacuum on the boat as you drive and does little to no flapping and to me it definitely fits better. That is not to say that the factory cover doesn't fit well because it does it is just not as snug around the tower (also the black of the outer armor would look much better than the gray of the factory cover with your boat IMO lol). The only downfall for some is that you have to pay for it out of pocket and can't roll it up in the cost of the boat if that is a concern.

rdlangston13
09-15-2020, 11:49 AM

Add GPS Cruise & Mapping

Does the outer armor cover use velcro or zippers to secure around the tower legs?

TXSurf4
09-15-2020, 11:54 AM
Does the outer armor cover use velcro or zippers to secure around the tower legs?

It uses Velcro