PDA

View Full Version : Supra SA vs SL - Wave Preference

jcredible
08-25-2020, 12:30 PM
I feel like I have a decent handle on the differences in options, look, Hull was redesigned on SL in 2017(I think) and 2020 in SA.

SA
1) 5800 lbs Dry
2) 22'5"
3) 3500 lbs Ballast

SL
1) 5600 lbs Dry
2) 23'5"
3) 3500 lbs Ballast

I have surfed the SL and really am curious who has surfed both and feedback on hull design vs. length.

tre
08-25-2020, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure this helps because I have an SE and recently was behind a new SA but never an SL. I found the SA wave to be nearly the same as the SE but a bit shorter for some reason at the same speed. We usually set the speed to 11.2. Check Robert at Wake9 Youtube channel. He had a 2018 SL, and now the SE and recently tested the SA. Loads of great surf videos and reviews. Frankly, I would decide based on how much room you want and how large of a boat you want but I'm sure others can provide more feedback.

larry_arizona
08-25-2020, 06:45 PM
This is the video mentioned above.

Pretty much tells it all.

https://youtu.be/v354yYxynns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewbFam5
08-25-2020, 10:20 PM
We demoed a 2020 SA and bought the 2020SL. SA wave was better out of the box but very happy with our SL wave and really choose it over SA because of cabin space vs bow space. We are a taller family so entering into the SA a taller person has to duck to avoid the speakers. Personal preference!

Prospersigman
08-30-2020, 09:55 AM
I have owned an SA and currently a SL. Really comes down to styling and if you prefer a true pickle fork versus a more traditional bow. Both boats with some extra lead will out surf most other brands out there. z

larry_arizona
08-30-2020, 10:34 AM
I agree it comes down to preference as they both cost about the same.

I believe the SL is up next for redesign. My theory is the SR will be skipped as there is not much you can update.

NewbFam5
08-30-2020, 10:41 AM
I have 800lbs of lead in our SL that we added several weeks ago. That made a huge difference with push. Now I just need to clean up the lip on surf left. Wish I was goofy foot because the SB side has a crazy good wave.

Shoebox
08-31-2020, 09:39 AM
I have 800lbs of lead in our SL that we added several weeks ago. That made a huge difference with push. Now I just need to clean up the lip on surf left. Wish I was goofy foot because the SB side has a crazy good wave.So many people complain they can't get a good goofy wave, and that's always baffled me, because on both my Mondo and now SL, the goofy wave is always better. We were out yesterday, 2 in the boat and 1 surfing. The regular wave was really good, but the goofy wave was just ridiculous.

larry_arizona
08-31-2020, 09:48 AM
I was able to get pretty equal goofy and regular waves out of my SA.

Prospersigman
09-01-2020, 10:44 AM
I have 800lbs of lead in our SL that we added several weeks ago. That made a huge difference with push. Now I just need to clean up the lip on surf left. Wish I was goofy foot because the SB side has a crazy good wave.

If you have your lead spread out fairly even, you are 100% filled all the way around and you are hitting your pitch and roll numbers (9 pitch and 1 to -1 roll for regular surf) and (9 pitch and roll 3 for goofy) you shouldn't have much clean up on the lip to do. On regular surf I don't have to use any center plate to clean it up and on goofy I typically use no more than 15-20.