PDA

View Full Version : Purchase- questions for used purchase

W2w
08-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking at a 2013 Moomba Mobius LSV, replacing an o/b (!) as have gotten into wakeboarding and now interested in wakesurfing. I was originally thinking of a new Max, but w/first vdrive this time I'm thinking used first and upgrade in 2+yrs if feels the need is there- the price point on the new Max is good I feel comparative to other brands for what it delivers. Also have a local (1/2hr away) Moomba dealer so that's very helpful. Asking out there is 46.9K w/119hrs (my hope is 10% discount??). What are the issues to look for on this year boat? Beyond the service records, is there something to be aware of that might be of concern? I'm not in the area of sale (WI, in eastern PA), but can attempt this with requesting videos and service records and not going in person, and getting it shipped (cost is surprisingly in 1-1.5K range, not bad), or traveling if still feel the need. First, I'd like to reach out to the community here for your opinions on the boat? And curious with wave shaper and what the 2013 offered at the time, it's all stock it appears, will it allow for riders, from 100-170#, to get good push from a decent distance? Thanks for your thoughts, I just joined here to begin this process.

csm
08-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Great boat. I sold mine 2 years ago for 45k, but had 240 hours, and the market is a lot hotter right now.

Stock won’t make a great wave. You’ll want at least 900s in the back, and a bow bag. I had 1100s in the back, and with a homemade suck gate, it made a really good wave on both sides.
You will likely want an upgraded prop if it doesn’t have one either. The stock prop that year was not really sufficient for surfing.

The only real issue I had on mine was that the wakeplate had a mind of its own. It would randomly go to 100% down while surfing and ruin the wave, so I always had to teach the drivers how to keep an eye on it. There may be a software fix for that now, but not sure.

Others had issues with the center hard ballast tank cracking. Mine never did. There was also a recall on the swivel board racks. But overall we really enjoyed ours. High freeboard, no engine issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2in2out
08-19-2020, 11:43 AM
My advice, get the new Max. I was a first time boat buyer who was interested in surfing (never done it), and wakeboarding (done a little). We looked for used boats but found financing a used boat a challenge. So, we went and looked at new boats with little information. Had I known what I know now, I would’ve never bought our last boat. My capabilities quickly exceeded the boat and we realized it’s short comings. 3 yrs later, I sold that boat and am looking for a 2020 or newer SA.

An inboard boat isn’t that hard to get used to if you have experience with any other boat. My wife had only ridden a jet ski before she started driving our boat, and a friend who is a long time boater recently told her she’s a damn good boat driver.

With the Max, you’ll get a surf system. Wedges are a PITA. Another lesson I learned. Plus you get warranty with the Max. You get space and comfort, plus all the support your pals on here can provide to make it an even better wake machine.

I wish I had a dealer near me. We would’ve probably bought our first boat as a Moomba, and not had to learn the hard way.

W2w
08-19-2020, 11:50 AM
Good information there, I appreciate it, sounds like pricing is good, all things considered in comparison to your experience and market. I'll check on the racks and any tank issues, not sure dealer will know much if the plate did mysterious things!

Were you able to fit the 1100s in the back where the stock is, or stow somewhere else? How much in the bow? This (stock won't make a great wave) is why I originally was thinking new Max. I'd prefer not to buy and then want to repurchase right away, but thought getting vdrive experience down first, these boats seem to hold value so well that barring any issues, should be able to recoup most on resale- if say in 2yrs or so.

Thanks!

W2w
08-24-2020, 07:14 PM
just saw your reply 2in2, so thanks as well. The LSV sold, didn't last long. So out searching again, this time found a sweet 2009 Supra Launch 22'...

I'm not financing, so that's not an issue, what is at issue is trying to understand what provides a "good surf wave" (not a simple definition I'm finding). Lots of information and opinions out there, and it's great to see pics and vids as well. I've seen every opinion from stock Helix works fine to need to add ballast to the Max or won't be much for surfing, so rather wide range. Appears to depend on lots of factors- weight of rider, acceptable distance from the boat (that the rider feels comfortable), board length, style, all new bells and whistles one might desire. It's odd to hear boats of 10yrs ago that pros used, today are not adequate? Maybe I need to research what the setup was back then in these boats in competition (not that I ever expect to come near to that level!).

If new I still would consider the Max, and maybe the A22. But then I think about the Helix, can it deliver an acceptable wave? If so, what about the A20? (I don't need a 22" boat, but consensus is that's the sweet, or at least, starting?, spot.

My local dealer is inland and no stock to test, unless i want a fishing boat!- and then if I travel to test, not sure they will be willing if they expect I wouldn't purchase from them since they are so far away and i have a closer dealer (just without any stock).... I don't see a test in my future unfortunately.

larry_arizona
08-24-2020, 07:22 PM
To be honest, a test drive of a max or A22 will disappoint if you don’t bring about 1000# with ya. These boats need weight to shine and no dealer demo will show the massive potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
08-24-2020, 07:55 PM
as someone who started out on a 20ft and all we do is surf, we will never go back to a 20ft again for surfing.
that's our opinion and you are correct in that the helix will toss a good wave BUT we prefer the longer hulls as you will notice a difference in the length/height of a wave from a helix and a max. and once you start "living" on these on a saturday the longer boats with deeper freeboard will swallow up all the crap a family brings for a day on the water.

and whichever boat you buy, whether it be a moomba or another brand, be prepared to spend a few $$ in upgrading bags or lead. almost every boat out there will produce a much better wave with more weight which is the reason they all have such tall freeboards today as compared to 10 years ago.

in the current state of the market(it's getting a little better) if you find a deal, don't hesitate as the boat you are looking at today and saying I'll make an offer tomorrow is the same one someone else made the same comment yesterday and is offering today. keep that in mind...

W2w
08-24-2020, 11:17 PM
wow, two more great insights, thanks.

So next questions (and I really appreciate everyone's insight), I appreciate needing extra weight, and I understand, I think!, the longer boat helps to produce the longer wave, one of my concerns, but what does the new boat (20/21) offer that say this 09 Supra won't offer? Ability to transfer on the fly from side to side, sounds great, right? Is autowake of Moomba that special, or as I see some have it and don't use it? I guess my question is can I create a good wake from a used 09 Supra without having a one-side list? (here's one, do wave shapers lessen the push, even if they create what appears to be a nice looking wave?). Oh, and here's one, do you need more ballast on the heavier boats, just to get it deeper, as opposed to ballast on a shorter (Helix) boat to get the "same" wave (i know it's not the same, maybe surfable)? Yeah, I'm all over the place on decision here still....

sandm
08-24-2020, 11:49 PM
I would have no issues going to an older boat as there's some great hulls out there that surf amazingly with the right weight.
some of the guys here have put gsa on some older boats and seems that they have good luck with that setup.
if I was spending your monies and didn't mind an older boat, go for it and add a surf system with enough ballast but not ever owning one I can't speak to your success on the 22ssv hull. the deeper taller boats today offer better ride and can take a lot more weight without worrying about water coming over.

I was not a fan of suckgates until our last boat and it put out a decent wave with one. I still preferred it listed so I didn't have to mess with it. our current boat is same hull but has surf system. it's push a button and surf so convenience is great and wave is consistent from day to day not to mention better than suckgate but some of that is in the tab design. with a suckgate it varied from day to day. listed was same every time. imo suckgates work but they are a hassle. surf systems take the guesswork out and are much simpler but cost.

helix will put out a good wave but it'll likely be shorter than those with 22/23ft boats. if you run with a crew that have a bigger boat, you will likely see the difference.
that said I bet the helix is a wakeboard monster and easy to dial in. the mondo I spent time on was amazing and much better than my 22ft of the time. my old 20ssv became the shop boat for the summer when i traded it. they were all boarders and said that boat was crazy good. guessing but nothing to back it up, that the shorter boats are easier to dial in a wakeboard wake.

ejj
08-25-2020, 02:52 PM
The larger/wider boats often require a good amount of weight to produce a good wave. And it can be REALLY good. Bigger boats have more potential. More and more modern boats are coming with enough ballast stock so you don't need to add lead or bags. Smaller/narrow boats will require less weight--but the wave will never match the wave of a well-ballasted modern 23 footer.

Autowake uses sensors to match the pitch and yaw of the boat--and it can use ballast changes for this. People get upset when they see the boat purging ballast. Pitch is the "ramp angle" from front to rear. Some people add too much weight to the rear without balancing with some weight up front. Yaw is the like boat-twist--the boat moves at a slight angle to produce a nice clean wave on one side. (Tabs, gates, listing, etc)