PDA

View Full Version : Raptor impeller

RUGER761
08-17-2020, 09:14 AM
So it was a very hot weekend. Pulling kids on a tube, notice CEL and got a code on the screen. Sure enough temps up to 190. Stopped and pulled my strainer, which was clear and free flowing water into the hose. Started back up it would drop back down to 170. Take back off starts climbing up again. So dropped the anchor to let everyone swim and cool down while I looked it over better. Looked at degas bottle which I remember being green but now is red. Freaked me out a bit as the only fluid that’s red is the trans and I couldn’t remember on these boats if it was water cooled or antifreeze cooled. Hated to bug him but salesman couldn’t remember exactly but thought it was green as well. Anyways left the anchor out for a while to let it all cool down before we limped back to the trailer. On way home salesman confirmed with service manager they use purple, close enough to red looking through a degas bottle and level was still correct. So pulled the impeller and found 3 fins backwards from the factory, keep in mind this is a 2020. Got 2 on order so hoping that’s all it was and will save me a trip to the shop. I’m shocked the fins made it that long being backwards. Most mercruiser pumps I’m use to would have ripped them off by now or flipped them. Guess I’ll find out this weekend.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/21ab52c08d19bdc6deae198f09d658c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
08-17-2020, 09:21 AM
How many hours on your current impeller?

SONIC
08-17-2020, 09:36 AM
What's the direction of rotation?

RUGER761
08-17-2020, 02:48 PM
How many hours on your current impeller?

I think we’re at 30hr tops.

RUGER761
08-17-2020, 02:51 PM
What's the direction of rotation?

I didn’t check to tell you the truth, just saw the 3 were wrong compared to the rest. It was a hot one getting back there to get it out when we got home, holds a ton of heat. I’ll have to double check before popping the new one in.

larry_arizona
08-17-2020, 03:04 PM
30 hours is nothing, curious if you got a blockage somewhere?

RUGER761
08-17-2020, 03:23 PM
30 hours is nothing, curious if you got a blockage somewhere?

I know, far as the rubber condition its perfect minus my pry marks as it should be. We have the added on strainer that I checked while in the water and it flowed freely and the screen was clear. It would cool back down if at idle or slightly above quickly, so its getting water just not enough I guess especially as hot as it was Saturday while under load. So hoping right now a new impeller installed correctly will take care of and it and save me the drive/time back and forth for the shop as its easy to change out myself.

Max20
08-17-2020, 03:45 PM
Air bubble in the cooling system?

Isaguel
08-17-2020, 07:52 PM
Weird. Hopefully that's the problem. Keep us updated. Question is why would that happen. That's a pretty obvious deformity, I don't think the assembler at the factory would have seen that impeller and not noticed it. And those should slide in and out fairly easy so its not a result of forcing it in. So, it must of happened after install. How?, that's really the question. I don't think any debris can get through the screen that could do this. Hopefully just a freak occurrence.

RUGER761
08-18-2020, 08:19 AM
Its an odd one I think or hope anyways. I was pretty shocked to have a new boat heat up without having a clogged strainer or intake hose. Impellers should be here Thursday, so we'll run it again this weekend, close to the dock anyways till I trust it again.

RUGER761
08-19-2020, 10:34 PM
So had my wife bump started to check direction and installed it then bumped again to verify before putting cover on. Turns out only the 3 veins were correct the others were backwards. Wear pattern on the cover shows it’s was backwards as well. Be interesting Saturday to see what temp it runs now. It’s always been around 170-175. Do the CEL clear or will I have to take it in to have it cleared?

SONIC
08-20-2020, 08:11 AM
That's what i thought looking at the photo.
On the new impeller are the blades straight or curved?

larry_arizona
08-20-2020, 08:17 AM
New impellers are straight, during install you need to orientate the vanes.

RUGER761
08-20-2020, 08:28 AM
Yep I'm glad I double checked it. Surprised it even worked as long as it did. Correct straight veins and you twist installing just like any of the older impellers. Looks like the same pump that V-drives have had for a long time. At least its easy to get to, some are a stand on your head nightmare. Ordered and extra one to keep in there now just in case.

SONIC
08-20-2020, 11:13 AM
It almost looks like someone took the original out and flipped it around.
I can't figure how the vanes ended up curved that direction when it spins the other way.

schwan
08-20-2020, 11:41 AM
I guess I never pay attention to which direction it rotates when I change it, I always assumed the engine would back up or reverse rotation a little bit when it stops anyway so the fins would flop backwards... Maybe I'll pay attention a little more next time and see

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Catman
08-21-2020, 07:14 PM
I guess I never pay attention to which direction it rotates when I change it, I always assumed the engine would back up or reverse rotation a little bit when it stops anyway so the fins would flop backwards... Maybe I'll pay attention a little more next time and see

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk where did you order it and what was the part # thanks

larry_arizona
08-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Raptor impeller kit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200821/036aa5faaaaec5049cf8d90e3aa8f911.jpg

Catman
08-21-2020, 08:58 PM
Ok thanks I appreciate it

RUGER761
08-23-2020, 08:57 AM
Well it wasn’t the impeller causing the issue. Still heats up after long pulls but cools quickly at idle or slightly above idle right back down to 160. So it’s headed to the shop Monday to see what they can figure out. Hopefully something simple and quick to fix.

larry_arizona
08-23-2020, 09:00 AM
Sounds like a restriction somewhere, maybe a partially open thermostat?

RUGER761
08-23-2020, 09:05 AM
Sounds like a restriction somewhere, maybe a partially open thermostat?

That’s what I’m thinking it is as well.

RUGER761
08-24-2020, 11:13 AM
Dropped it off this morning guess we’ll see what they find out.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200824/f75431126f76d01340cc6faa5bfeb523.jpg

RUGER761
08-31-2020, 10:16 AM
Well as of Friday they were still working on trying to figure out the problem. Sounded like they could only do what Indmar wanted them to do so slowing it down a bit. Hopefully they get it figured out this week.

zabooda
08-31-2020, 10:36 AM

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

That is why I bump the engine when winterizing as I leave the impeller in.

MJHSupra
08-31-2020, 11:28 AM
Well as of Friday they were still working on trying to figure out the problem. Sounded like they could only do what Indmar wanted them to do so slowing it down a bit. Hopefully they get it figured out this week.

I had the same thing on my SL for warranty type issue like this. Had to follow the direction of the Indmar techs. Eventually they found the problem.