PDA

View Full Version : We have a leak in the engine compartment! 2018 Moomba Max

Swervy
08-16-2020, 11:52 AM
Hi, we were filling our ballast while surfing and noticed the boat was struggling getting up to 10.8 mph. The ballast overflow was coming out the side and the first thought was the bags were full. Opened up the rear port side locker and noticed the barrier between the engine compartment and ballast bag had broken free. We could see water streaming out of a hose near the bottom of the engine. The more throttle we gave, the harder the water would stream. At this point we knew it was the bilge pump pumping the water out of the engine compartment. Needless to say we emptied the bags while limping the boat back to the landing. I will try to attach an pic of the issue. Has this happened to anyone and what was the soulution?

Thanks!

Boat is a 2018 Moomba Max 400 Raptor, G6

haknslash
08-16-2020, 12:29 PM
I have heard of the dividers popping out of the track. Do your divider panels have the reinforced metal braces? I'm not sure what that blue line/hose is? On one end it almost looks like an electrical connector but on the other end looks like a banjo fitting.

Not a Max but you can see it does happen when running heavy bags https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?31580-Engine-Panel-Dividers.

Let us know what the blue line is. I guess the panel pushed against it and broke an o-ring or something on that fitting?

Swervy
08-16-2020, 12:35 PM
I have heard of the dividers popping out of the track. Do your divider panels have the reinforced metal braces? I'm not sure what that blue line/hose is? On one end it almost looks like an electrical connector but on the other end looks like a banjo fitting.

I think our dividers have the reinforced braces. I am about to climb in the boat and poke around further.

The water appeared to be coming from another black hose that is just under the blue line.

haknslash
08-16-2020, 12:43 PM
Yea the vertical braces help but I think what happens is the channel or tracks at the bottom might not be tall enough and with enough force it can cause them to pop out of the track. A few folks use washers or taller channels I think to fix the problem. I know Wakemakers sells a reinforcement kit but like you said we already have vertical reinforced bracing so not sure the WM option would be any better.

Swervy
08-16-2020, 01:22 PM
I believe this is where the leak was coming from. I hope these pics come through ok.

sandm
08-16-2020, 03:26 PM
I'm no mechanic expert on these but the blue line looks like an o2 sensor? if water coming from there you gots bigger issues.
guessing the hose under it is part of the recirc for the water and would make sense the more rpm's the more water came out from the impeller.
if that black hose is the culprit, a hose clamp should do the trick unless the line is split. a fake/lake in the driveway should help research it.

larry_arizona
08-16-2020, 05:05 PM
Not a fan of Indmar using the pinch crimp clamps on hose clamps, found some loose ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
08-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Not a fan of Indmar using the pinch crimp clamps on hose clamps, found some loose ones.

ya. I'm not a huge fan either. but have used them in plumbing and if done properly they are rock solid. if done properly being the key......

larry_arizona
08-16-2020, 06:25 PM
If they were the better oetiker clamps, I would feel better.

Stazi
08-16-2020, 07:45 PM
Looks like the water is coming out of the oxygen sensors!

Woody929
08-16-2020, 08:50 PM
Looks like it is the plastic fitting in the second picture. It looks as if it was pushed out of the way by the panel and it looks like it is threaded at an angle.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200817/a1d3fc16278afd9a4fa3c0a5660e8d16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sp8
08-16-2020, 09:30 PM
Looks like it is the plastic fitting in the second picture. It looks as if it was pushed out of the way by the panel and it looks like it is threaded at an angle.

I think Woody nailed it!!

dakota4ce
08-16-2020, 09:39 PM
Buddy’s malibu had a leak at the exact same spot. Plastic fitting. Junk!

Could replace with brass!

dakota4ce
08-16-2020, 09:40 PM
Buddy’s malibu had a leak at the exact same spot. Plastic fitting. Junk!

Could replace with brass!

May need the special o2 sensor socket to remove it and get it out of the way to spin in the new fitting though....

Swervy
08-16-2020, 11:34 PM

That’s the spot for sure. After crawling around down there I noticed that spot was cracked. ��

Swervy
08-19-2020, 12:22 PM
Got the boat back from the dealer yesterday all fixed up and ready to hit the lake today!! I am going to have to do something for bracing the divider panel. Thanks for all the replies!

rajeshtechgeek
08-19-2020, 12:43 PM
I also see the same.