PDA

View Full Version : Full Tank of Gas

08-15-2020, 03:57 PM
I have a 2016 Moomba Mondo. We don't have a gas station on our lake. With the boat on my Boatmate trailer I don't get a full tank at the gas station. In order to get an almost full tank I park the boat on the trailer on a downward incline and I get 6 to 8 more gallons by manually pouring in gas cans, and the gas gauge is still slightly below full. Is there a better way?

Thanks much.

TexTgrTed1
08-16-2020, 11:45 PM
It takes as much time for me to get the last 4-5 gallons in as it does the first 20 when filling up.

Have to climb up in the boat so I can watch the fuel gauge to confirm it’s full.

Very strange.

Surgical_ass
08-17-2020, 08:47 AM
I always wondered why the fuel gauge never reads 100% full after I fill up. I assumed that the gauge was off. Would be nice to get another 8 gallons in...

sandm
08-18-2020, 12:29 AM
I have found that setting the gas pump to the slowest automatic setting gets me most of the way there and towards the end I have learned to "hear" the gas going in and take my time. usually gets to 100% this way. I'm with tex in that it takes a minute to do it.

I don't ever run the pump at full bore and have learned from an overflow all over the parking lot in my old supra to take it slow.

TexTgrTed1
08-18-2020, 11:01 PM
Good tip San. Never thought about running the fill pump slower to help insure a complete fill.

Will try that on next refill!

tre
08-18-2020, 11:14 PM
Interesting. My Supra SE does the same thing. I'll have to try that.

sandm
08-19-2020, 12:22 AM
not sure how moomba/supras fill but on my current whip, and for that matter the prior 2, if I turn the pump on full steam it shuts off often and doesn't like running once it's about 90% full.
found that on the slowest setting it fills steady.

Seahawk
08-19-2020, 11:51 AM
Not sure this helps, but I manage to get a full tank (2018 Mondo) of gas by running the pump slower after the initial stop just like sandm points out. While it works to put more gas in, it will still stop again as it gets fuller. When this happens, I wait a few seconds to restart the pump. While waiting I will actually rock the boat on the trailer to slosh the gas around a little to release any air trapped in the neck of the boat fuel line. Mind you all theory at this point, but I always manage to get a full tank of gas ��

TexTgrTed1
08-19-2020, 11:40 PM
Never thought about the rocking action.

Not sure I’m strong enough to rock a 4200 lb. boat. LOL.

Seahawk
08-20-2020, 09:15 AM
Does not take much to shake it around a little. I lean on it with my shoulder and give it a couple shakes/pushes. Probably looks a little odd to other folks getting gas that are gawking at the boat as I fill up, but it is not to obvious what I'm doing.

TexTgrTed1
08-21-2020, 12:32 AM
OK, I’ll give my Craz some bumps at the next fill-up.

No kidding on the gawking at the gas station. Actually had a clerk run out the store toward me before asking to take a picture of my rig. Startled me until I realized she’d probably never seen such a beautiful watercraft.

True story. The blue metal flake hull is very attractive.

Seahawk
08-21-2020, 09:12 AM
About a month ago while filling up, I had a guy start asking me questions about boats. He said he was interested in getting into boating and wanted something new. He said something along the lines of a boat like this cost what, about 40k? I had to chuckle and told him he should probably do a little research. Told him he needed to double his guess give or take a few thousand. Then proceeded to tell him that is just the boat, he would still need to take into account maintenance, water toys, possible storage, gas to use it, etc. Not to mention he would need something a little bigger than what he was driving to tow it. His jaw about dropped. Clearly has not even looked into boat ownership.

TexTgrTed1
08-22-2020, 11:18 PM
It is amazing the ideas people have about inboards, cost & tow vehicles.

Even I didn’t appreciate all the guys I see pulling surf boat tandem trailers with HD pickups. My 1/2 ton handles the Craz OK but the HD towing package & 2500 lb. helper springs I added really help. If I added any dry ballast weight to the boat I’d probably want to move up to an HD pickup. My next 1/2 ton will have at least 10K towing capacity.