PDA

View Full Version : whats up with unemployment today!!

sandm
08-11-2020, 08:46 PM
just a rant as I step on my soapbox......

las vegas is arguably the highest unemployment rate in the nation right now and with our economy being primarily tourism based, it's going to be a long haul before we are back. my guess is we will be above 10% unemployment thru 2021.

that said our business is pretty solid. volumes are similar to last summer.
trying to hire 4-6 associates on my swing shift. had 2 ads posted up for 30 days on indeed-refreshed on craigslist/indeed every week.
now it's not glamorous work. warehouse swing shift 45hrs or so and pay is not the best but with incentive can be in the upper-teens-per-hr in 90 days and good bennies($100/mo for dental/health/vision for entire family and no copay for visits).

I've had 103 applicants in 30 days. in a town that has the worst unemployment in the nation. 3 interviews scheduled today. 2 no show.

pretty hard to compete wage wise with the fed govt and the $600/week......... or should I say compete against the cash all of us are eventually going to be paying back......

ok- off soapbox now but still crazy where the US is today.

larry_arizona
08-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Maybe it will get better now that the $600 expired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

996scott
08-12-2020, 12:02 AM
That $600 was a big mistake in my opinion. Most of my employees were more than happy to collect unemployment because with the extra $600 they were making more than they did going to work. If that isn't the definition of basakwards i don't know what is. Sheesh!

DNIXD99
08-12-2020, 12:26 AM
They just needed to apply to keep their unemployment.

sandm
08-12-2020, 11:39 AM
They just needed to apply to keep their unemployment.

nevada isn't checking. guy that works for me has a wife that has been collecting for 3 months. hasn't applied for a single job. there's nothing going on here to apply for other than uber, lyft and some other commission jobs. amazon is the only real big thing hiring and as an hourly, you don't want to work for that micromanaging operation. they track how long you take to pee.

larry_arizona
08-12-2020, 11:48 AM
One of our manufacturing plants in Utah is struggling keeping assembly workers.

Rough numbers.....normal pay is $28k per year, unemployment in Utah is crazy high plus the $600 federal kicker they make close to $60k.

They only had to claim they had one covid symptom or say someone in their family needed care to get put back on unemployment.

Not sure how many reported back to work 8/1 when the fed bonus stopped or how many will go back out with the new $400 fed bonus.

sandm
08-12-2020, 11:59 AM
we have a building in slc as well and it's been a trainwreck for several years. can't find workers.
prior to living in las vegas I worked for walmart in grantsville utah just over the hill from slc for a short stint. same thing- horrible time finding workers.

IF the $400 goes thru, here in nevada that will still equate to about $14/hr. on unemployment. our lazy society will continue to feed off the gov't teat...

SONIC
08-12-2020, 12:51 PM
One of my competitors went under when everything opened back up after the first major shutdowns.
They called their employees back and they all said "nah we're good at home". Skilled labor so you can't just bring in random folks to do it.
Out of business after 100+ years.

I totally understand the need for the assistance, but it just didn't/doesn't take into account cost of living and average wages in some areas.
LA or New York 600 bucks a week is barely getting by. Here in rural TN 600 a week + state unemployment is damn good money for most, and more than average income for a manufacturing job.

larry_arizona
08-12-2020, 01:07 PM
Never should have allowed the Fed assistance to exceed your normal income.

BigOrange
08-12-2020, 01:35 PM
Where you boating at SONIC?

To all - what sanity in this thread! To bad the politicians have none.

SONIC
08-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Where you boating at SONIC?

To all - what sanity in this thread! To bad the politicians have none.

We are normally at Normandy every weekend.

We hit Tim's occasionally but it's been so crowded this year I would prefer to stay home and stare at my boat than fight the idiots all day.

BigOrange
08-12-2020, 02:41 PM
Our place is on Tims so over the last few years I've missed the relative solitude of Normandy and Woods. The amount of weekend boaters out on Tims has about driven my wife to avoid coming out on the boat. Trying to make early mornings a routine.

SONIC
08-12-2020, 03:11 PM
Our place is on Tims so over the last few years I've missed the relative solitude of Normandy and Woods. The amount of weekend boaters out on Tims has about driven my wife to avoid coming out on the boat. Trying to make early mornings a routine.

Yep I love Tims and grew up there but it's gotten out of hand in the last couple years. There's still some good spots though just have to find them!
I was on Normandy last night surfing and I think it was me and two bass boats on the whole lake.

996scott
08-12-2020, 04:59 PM
Never should have allowed the Fed assistance to exceed your normal income.

^^^^^This, exactly. There's no incentive to work.

htfit
08-12-2020, 05:36 PM
Glad I am not the only one thinking this is crazy. We also had some staff go MIA later to get a letter from Texas workforce commission that they filed for unemployment.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

schwan
08-12-2020, 07:17 PM
We can't hire anyone here in MN. Every place has signs outside saying we're hiring. The dumb part with the $600 thing is the fed knows how much you claimed you made last year. Just make the federal stimulus 80% of what you made last year. People would actually start looking for work then.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

sandm
08-12-2020, 07:30 PM
100% with ya schwan. have heard the number 70% floating around. pays rent, keeps the power on and food coming but doesn't pay for new shoes or a day at the waterpark. that's what unemployment should be.

hope to see something happen.

DNIXD99
08-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Percentage would of made more sense for sure

haknslash
08-16-2020, 01:19 PM
Yea I don't like this whole gov't tit feeding BS. It is showing just how lazy and content some of these people truly are. My wife and I didn't like getting the first stimulus check but hell it's our money anyways lol. We haven't had other checks and honestly I hope they don't do another round. I get it for people who legitimately lost their jobs but now some of them have grown accustomed to sitting at home collecting a check they don't want to go back to work. At some point that milk in the tit is going to run dry and it needs to. No way they should be cutting checks to basically let people be freeloaders. I'm fine with a little money to help pay for some of their bills but not the majority of it.

RobinWhite22
05-12-2021, 02:55 PM
Important news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpyYEAOryas