PDA

View Full Version : First boat-- ordering a 2021 Max

Brad25
08-08-2020, 10:35 PM
Any thing I should be concerned about? We were looking at the 25' Yamaha 240X. Been doing a ton of research and I think we are ordering it on Tuesday. Kind of nervous about the whole boat ramp process, I've watched a million you tube videos as well as watching people launch their boats at the local ramps. So Excited!!

brad460
08-08-2020, 11:05 PM
Good call not going with the Yamaha...we sold our 2019 Yamaha last week and it was the best day of my life...

We are likely going with a new Max ourselves..

Kirby
08-09-2020, 08:36 AM
When backing up, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Move your hand the direction you want the trailer to go. Just a beginner tip I learned and still use.

Isaguel
08-09-2020, 09:14 AM
Good luck on the purchase and wise choice. I had to look into that Yammy, they apparently sell a surf kit for 1000$. What? That's an I/O. Right? Does it have the reversed prop setup, whatever you call it, to allow it to surf?

Good choice going with the Max. You will be happy you opted for that grumbling V8 over that mosquito sounding twin 1.8 ltr engine. Nothing like an inboard. The ramp thing will be a piece of cake, don't sweat it.

And given your comment above, I assume this will be your first inboard.? I'd say do some research into driving an inboard, loading, reversing, etc. They are a different animal. It'll take a little getting used to, especially recognizing you cannot turn in reverse, that's prolly the one thing that gets most first time inboard owners, especially those used to stern drives. In the Moomba, given the spin direction of prop, the stern of the boat will always go to your starboard side.
You'll need to learn to take advantage of that when pulling up to a dock. If u know someone with an inboard, have them show you, it'll prevent dock rashes or worse, running into someone else's boat.

You will get hooked on surfing too, so will the whole family and, I've noticed, there's a unique kinship among wakeboat owners, no matter the brand, more so than any other boats. Maybe because everybody else hates us, we stick together, j/k. But yeah, I see the look on fishermen's faces when I pull up to the ramp. It's our responsibility to be thoughtful and careful about our wake. A lot of dummies out there give us a bad rep.
We take a lot of pride in our boats and always want to help each other. It's a great community.

Enjoy the new boat.

sandm
08-09-2020, 10:02 AM
isaguel,
yammy's are jet drive. iirc that one has dual jets to the tune of 420hp. no worries on props but also great propulsion choices if you like a shower with your boarding session from the rooster tail :)

to the OP....

if you are new to boats or inboard boats, I'd do the following:
-get a friend that knows boats/inboards to go with on the first outing.
-make the first outing NOT on a sat/sun. go on a weekday when the ramps are less congested. less pressure and being in someones way.
-once you put in on that first outing, go out in the lake somewhere away from others, toss an orange cheapo life vest in the water and practice your "docking" skills. great way to get familiar with inboards and also put a break in hour or 2 on it.
-teach the wife/gf/14+kid to either drive the boat on the trailer or back the trailer. don't be "that guy" at the ramp taking up a lane for 15 minutes. took me less than an hour in an empty parking lot to teach both exwife and gf how to back. gf does it better than most men.

most of all, have fun. great boat and you will have lots of family fun in the future......
and post pics on here once you have it or you didn't buy it :)

Kirby
08-09-2020, 10:42 AM
A school parking lot is a great place to practice driving a trailer.

larry_arizona
08-09-2020, 11:34 AM
I am guilty of being the boat driver and trailer backer, but I have honestly never taken more than 7 min from dock to truck to boat in the tie down lane.

I have had to re float the boat a few times because it wasn’t level so maybe 8 min tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
08-09-2020, 11:52 AM
I am guilty of being the boat driver and trailer backer, but I have honestly never taken more than 7 min from dock to truck to boat in the tie down lane.

every launch is different.
at mead-callville, depending on time of day, it's 15+ minutes just to walk from the launch to the parking lot if golf cart dude isn't running.
you would be shot taking up 1 of the 3 or 4 spots to tie off a boat at the launch taking that long not to mention you would never get the boat tied off with the influx of people all day long.
in green bay, it's 15 ft from the launch to the first spot. you would have the same task done in less than 2 minutes. no one there cared if it took 5.

larry_arizona
08-09-2020, 12:00 PM
One of the lakes we go to has a launch that is not protected and rollers come into the docks.

The trailer backer needs to be like a surgeon to time the waves and snatch the boat while my crew is trying to steady the boat and keep it off the dock.

haknslash
08-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Congrats on the Max! We came from a Yamaha after owning it for 2.5 years and you will love the v-drive for water sports over a jet by far!! We used to lay big bags all over the jet and it was such a chore just to try and setup a mediocre wave. They are loud boats and that is annoying as well. My wife HATED driving the jet boat because they just wander all around if you don't apply any throttle because they must have jet propelling them or be at the mercy or currents, wind and waves.

There are some good videos out there to help you learn to launch the boat. As mentioned if you get confused which way the trailer goes you can put you hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and whichever way you want the trailer to go just turn your hand in that direction. After a while it will be second nature to you. I recommend spending a few hours in a big open parking lot like at a Wal-Mart or something or abandoned area and practice backing up and maneuvering the trailer. This will get you some "seat time" backing up without the added stress of the ramp or worrying about taking too long at the ramp.

Once out on the water I would also practice docking the boat by finding a large open area or slough without a lot of boats there and toss out a fender without the rope attached to it (so you don't run it over). Practice pulling up next to it from different angles and pretend its a dock. If one fender doesn't help much then practice with two places close to each other that way you can envision an imaginary line connecting the two fenders and then pretend that is the edge of a dock. These boats only like to turn the stern towards the right until you build enough speed for the rudder to be somewhat effective. However this is not really a bad thing once you understand how to use the pulling to the right motion to your advantage. We use it all the time when docking. Depending on wind or current conditions, I typically try and approach a dock at a 30-45 degree angle and very slowly bump in and out of forward and neutral and reverse. I use all 3 gear positions to control speed and approach angle. As I being the get the nose close to the dock I will just put it in the first part of reverse enough to engage the transmission and it will gently pull the stern parallel to the dock with zero steering effort.

I don't have any videos I've made for backing up at the ramp but I have made a few showing how to use reverse and the v-drive tendency to pull to the right on these boats to your advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnS5QQju_ik

I suggest getting some big ball fenders vs the typical cylindrical shaped fenders. The big ball fenders such as Exile or LetsTieUp fenders will give you a big cushion to the dock and prevent the boat from coming dangerous close or even hitting the dock. We will NEVER go back to the traditional fender. Get some bungee dock lines and I tie a knot the make a "short side" of the rope and hang the fender to the boat on that side.
https://i.imgur.com/Nx7FCHe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RM8wm0C.jpg

Get a slide anchor box anchor (in small size). They are the best anchor IMO and they fold up nice and stowed in a bag when not in use. We keep ours in the deep engine compartment tray for ease of access. It can also stow under the front cushion easily. I would get the real ones and not the knock-off brands you see on Amazon. Make sure it's made by Slideanchor if ordering from Amazon. https://www.slideanchor.com/boxanchor

haknslash
08-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Here is a second video I made of docking using a different approach angle and slight cross breeze plus having to place the boat in between two metal pylons that stuck out from the dock side while approaching a shallow beach. With these boat you will learn the high freeboard and catch the wind and I've docked mine in some steady winds before that was a bit unnerving but always follow your gut and if you feel like the angle isn't right always have a plan b to abort and retry. Don't be afraid to abort and take another stab at the approach if it doesn't feel right. One out last vacation the house we rented was usually 90 degrees from the wind and we were on open water area of the lake so I had to approach differently than I was used to but with practice comes experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh8yf-t32jY

sandm
08-09-2020, 01:12 PM
Make sure it's made by Slideanchor if ordering from Amazon. https://www.slideanchor.com/boxanchor

thanks for the post up as we have been looking for an anchor but looks like it's up to amazon. slideanchor is sold out of EVERY size but 2 colors of large.

larry_arizona
08-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Small box anchor for the win!!!!!

When I anchor at the sand bar the box anchor is rock solid, the problem is, nobody else’s anchor holds and they drift right to me.

Key is get as far up wind as possible and watch everyone else drift away from you.

Kirby
08-09-2020, 05:25 PM
I can't believe you Max owners get by with the small box...All that freeboard and bimini acting as a sail, sometimes my large box slides a bit in Eastern Wa winds.

larry_arizona
08-09-2020, 05:46 PM
I can't believe you Max owners get by with the small box...All that freeboard and bimini acting as a sail, sometimes my large box slides a bit in Eastern Wa winds.

I use a small box without issue on a heavier SA.

haknslash
08-09-2020, 05:59 PM

Mine has even held in the fine sand of Florida gulf on stiff windy days with my previous boat while Bimini was deployed.

Small box anchor has been great and we get some 15+ mph whitecaps across wide parts of Lake Martin. When it's blowing hard I try and avoid the wind but sometimes it's unavoidable if you want in your favorite cove. Our box will sometimes be so hard to pull up if there has been lots of boat traffic or constant wind. What are the lake bed conditions you're in? Ours is mostly red clay and rock.

ejj
08-09-2020, 07:38 PM
A great system for boat ramp procedure is to have a backer and a boat driver. We load everyone in the boat and back down—float the boat, driver drives off and waits. The trailer backer/driver parks and walks to the tip of the dock. Boat driver noses in and picks up driver. No tying up to the dock. Retrieving the boat is the same but reversed.

Kirby
08-09-2020, 07:42 PM
It might just be my favorite cove that I spend at least 15 days in...dark mud, probably can't dig in deep enough. The large is heavier, just extra ballast and an arm workout for my wife.

TexTgrTed1
08-10-2020, 11:04 PM
Congrats on the Max! We almost went with one last year but wound up with the Craz instead.

Lots of good advice on here about 1st time inboard owner. Take it, learn lots, have fun!

vonbottle
08-11-2020, 10:43 AM
i'm also looking at getting a Max for next season to replace our old glastron - at the moment, we're mostly skiers, how is the max for skiing? obviously we'd give surfing a try, but would hate to get a boat that sucks for skiing. or is there a different model that is more preferable - maybe the craz? the main reason we're looking at the moomba is overall value for what you're getting and also the seating capacity as we often have a lot of people looking to go on a boat ride. any typical non-surf boat has like 2/3 the seating capacity of an equal size surf boat.

haknslash
08-11-2020, 10:51 AM
i'm also looking at getting a Max for next season to replace our old glastron - at the moment, we're mostly skiers, how is the max for skiing? obviously we'd give surfing a try, but would hate to get a boat that sucks for skiing. or is there a different model that is more preferable - maybe the craz? the main reason we're looking at the moomba is overall value for what you're getting and also the seating capacity as we often have a lot of people looking to go on a boat ride. any typical non-surf boat has like 2/3 the seating capacity of an equal size surf boat.

There are a few videos on YouTube that show a Max pulling a skier. It’s not going to be super smooth and flat with minimal wake but if just recreational skiing and wanting to surf or wakeboard you could maybe make it happen. It won’t be like a “crossover” style tow boat but it doesn’t look bad to play or ski around on with no ballast and center tab down.

https://youtu.be/2VXzK78WQao

Tommy2slow
08-11-2020, 11:52 AM

If you just looking to slalom ski recreationally and just mess around like in the video above any Moomba equipped with a wake plate will be suit your needs. If you are looking for a boat that you can take into the slalom course and do 6 ball passes Moomba doesnÂ’t currently offer a model to do that. If anybody has a video of this being done with a modern Moomba please post it here. There isnÂ’t a boat available than can produce both a world class slalom wake and world class surf wave (thatÂ’s why I own two boats). There are crossover boats on the market that do offer decent performance in both disciplines but are not great at doing either. Make sure that you are buying the boat for your needs for both now and into the future. I love slalom skiing but I am currently really enjoying surfing too. I slalom ski at a competitive level and I am working on improving my surf game. I currently have the best of both worlds with having two boats but if I had to choose only one I would choose the wake boat. We have more fun as a family in the Moomba with the larger capacity and friendlier layout and surfing is such a social and interactive sport for the whole family. When I slalom ski I have only the driver and spotter on board. Two reasons, I want the boat to be as light as possible and the ski pylon is in front of the engine, just behind the driverÂ’s left shoulder. If anybody was sitting on the rear bench they would get clotheslined by the rope. Slalom is fun but not something you can bring your friends and whole family along to share. Surfing is the complete opposite! You can load up the boat with all your friends, family and the dog and have room for all your gear for a memory filled day on the water. I am not trying to steer you in any one direction, just saying how the boating life has changed for me. Cheers

vonbottle
08-11-2020, 01:52 PM
If you just looking to slalom ski recreationally and just mess around like in the video above any Moomba equipped with a wake plate will be suit your needs. If you are looking for a boat that you can take into the slalom course and do 6 ball passes Moomba doesnÂ’t currently offer a model to do that. If anybody has a video of this being done with a modern Moomba please post it here. There isnÂ’t a boat available than can produce both a world class slalom wake and world class surf wave (thatÂ’s why I own two boats). There are crossover boats on the market that do offer decent performance in both disciplines but are not great at doing either. Make sure that you are buying the boat for your needs for both now and into the future. I love slalom skiing but I am currently really enjoying surfing too. I slalom ski at a competitive level and I am working on improving my surf game. I currently have the best of both worlds with having two boats but if I had to choose only one I would choose the wake boat. We have more fun as a family in the Moomba with the larger capacity and friendlier layout and surfing is such a social and interactive sport for the whole family. When I slalom ski I have only the driver and spotter on board. Two reasons, I want the boat to be as light as possible and the ski pylon is in front of the engine, just behind the driverÂ’s left shoulder. If anybody was sitting on the rear bench they would get clotheslined by the rope. Slalom is fun but not something you can bring your friends and whole family along to share. Surfing is the complete opposite! You can load up the boat with all your friends, family and the dog and have room for all your gear for a memory filled day on the water. I am not trying to steer you in any one direction, just saying how the boating life has changed for me. Cheers

thanks for the input - no slalom skiing, just recreational, my two teenage kids who've been skiing a few years and their older cousins who are pretty good skiers, and they wakeboard as well, not to mention tubing, but mostly my kids will be skiing - so if it's pretty good for beginner skiers (they're just starting to go out of the wake and not quite attempting one ski yet), that's great. i really prefer the open layout as well - can it really seat 17? seems like a stretch, but if a dozen or so can sit comfortably for a cruise and/or pull a skier at the same time, that'd be perfect - our old glastron has been at the shop all summer, some overheating issue, but it has been having trouble pulling up a skier with 5-6 people in the boat (with 300hp v-8!) - so anyway, really hoping to order one to be ready by early spring. is there any info online about the 2021 max specs and/or pricing? only seeing 2020.
also, kind of off topic, but the last boat we bought new was a 2000 glastron (prior to our current one), and it was like $24k and i don't recall haggling over price, i see the prices moomba lists on their site and when i email a dealer about one they have in stock it's based off the retail pricing - is that what i can expect to pay or have you been able to get the dealer down on price? we'd like to order one and option it how we want, so just curious if i can get the dealer to come down any? thanks for any info

Kirby
08-11-2020, 03:39 PM
If you can wait for a boat show, do it. You'll get a discount, I've read anywhere between 5-10%, plus they may throw in some extras, and 2 more years Indmar warranty. Build spots may be going fast. I had to put down a small deposit (2500) a month before the boat show to secure my spot, but still got boat show price.

DNIXD99
08-11-2020, 03:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6hucXMMsjE

vonbottle
08-11-2020, 04:04 PM
If you can wait for a boat show, do it. You'll get a discount, I've read anywhere between 5-10%, plus they may throw in some extras, and 2 more years Indmar warranty. Build spots may be going fast. I had to put down a small deposit (2500) a month before the boat show to secure my spot, but still got boat show price.

i've heard the boat shows are a good place to score a deal. so they only have a certain number of build spots? once they fill them i'm basically out of luck unless i find one on the lot? so it sounds like i should maybe call my local dealer and put a deposit down if i want one for spring? the next boat show near me is in february in boston, actually the only one near me. how long is a build - a couple months? sorry for all the questions, we've finally decided to pull the trigger and it's a bit different than buying a car, just have no experience with it......like, a dealer on my lake has a loaded Max for sale (not the color i prefer, but if the price is right, maybe), come fall and it's still on the lot, do you think might be able to talk him down 10% or more? i hear fall is a great time to buy as the boating season is almost over, at least up north where i am.

bergermaister
08-11-2020, 06:19 PM
Boat show? - I would hope they will not cancel that far away but since everything else good in the world is being postponed or cancelled I wouldn't hold my breath for the show going on.

mgswake
08-11-2020, 06:42 PM
Boat show? - I would hope they will not cancel that far away but since everything else good in the world is being postponed or cancelled I wouldn't hold my breath for the show going on.

I was at a dealer last year that had the boat show deals into February and March as long as there were slots and/or inventory. Maybe they will just offer winter deals or call them boat show prices even if the shoes get canceled! That would’ve nice, fingers crossed.

Bob__S
08-11-2020, 09:29 PM
Congrats. We boat a 2021 Max as our first boat as well. We’ve only taken it out 3 times. Excited for the future experiences.

dakota4ce
08-11-2020, 10:00 PM
Congrats. We boat a 2021 Max as our first boat as well. We’ve only taken it out 3 times. Excited for the future experiences.

When did you get it? That had to be an early one.

haknslash
08-11-2020, 10:33 PM
Buddy of mine put his deposit in for a 2021 Max on July 8th and is supposed to get it very soon near middle of August. His color way should be pretty badass with black hull, black accent, black cherry main and platinum deck but man he is going to roast!! Interior is dark graphite/light graphite with black trex and red welt. I tried to talk him out of the dark graphite due to how hot its going to be but he said he's rolling the dice so I said OK bring some quality towels :D!!! Can't wait to see it!

dakota4ce
08-11-2020, 10:58 PM
Buddy of mine put his deposit in for a 2021 Max on July 8th and is supposed to get it very soon near middle of August. His color way should be pretty badass with black hull, black accent, black cherry main and platinum deck but man he is going to roast!! Interior is dark graphite/light graphite with black trex and red welt. I tried to talk him out of the dark graphite due to how hot its going to be but he said he's rolling the dice so I said OK bring some quality towels :D!!! Can't wait to see it!

My spray date is tomorrow 8/12, but I am not sure how their actual schedule is playing out. That was updated just a couple weeks ago so maybe it’s close.

Kirby
08-12-2020, 09:42 AM
i've heard the boat shows are a good place to score a deal. so they only have a certain number of build spots? once they fill them i'm basically out of luck unless i find one on the lot? so it sounds like i should maybe call my local dealer and put a deposit down if i want one for spring? the next boat show near me is in february in boston, actually the only one near me. how long is a build - a couple months? sorry for all the questions, we've finally decided to pull the trigger and it's a bit different than buying a car, just have no experience with it......like, a dealer on my lake has a loaded Max for sale (not the color i prefer, but if the price is right, maybe), come fall and it's still on the lot, do you think might be able to talk him down 10% or more? i hear fall is a great time to buy as the boating season is almost over, at least up north where i am.

Yes, a certain number for each boat. For example, when I put my deposit down, I had 4 options...which I think meant the dealer could only custom order 4 Max boats. He had build spots for the Craz too. If you miss out on those build spots, you are SOL to get a boat in time for summer. I've seen ads for dealers at the end of the summer for "boat show" pricing. Your dealer on the lake may come down in price, but I wouldn't plan on getting 10%. I ended up getting 10% total, but the dealer threw in Triton racks, cover, and a couple other small things to make it that way. A build is the time frame in which you get your boat. I ordered in December for a March build date.

vonbottle
08-12-2020, 04:10 PM
Yes, a certain number for each boat. For example, when I put my deposit down, I had 4 options...which I think meant the dealer could only custom order 4 Max boats. He had build spots for the Craz too. If you miss out on those build spots, you are SOL to get a boat in time for summer. I've seen ads for dealers at the end of the summer for "boat show" pricing. Your dealer on the lake may come down in price, but I wouldn't plan on getting 10%. I ended up getting 10% total, but the dealer threw in Triton racks, cover, and a couple other small things to make it that way. A build is the time frame in which you get your boat. I ordered in December for a March build date.

very interesting, didn't realize how it all worked.....we're going to meet with the dealer in a week or so and see what our options are. he had five moomba models on the lot this summer, the last of which sold a couple weeks ago. our boating season ends labor day, so no real rush to get it, but definitely want to be ready by next memorial day.

larry_arizona
08-12-2020, 04:18 PM
Yep dealers run out of custom build slots quickly, I am ordering next week for a December slot and Jan delivery.

Kirby
08-12-2020, 05:41 PM
very interesting, didn't realize how it all worked.....we're going to meet with the dealer in a week or so and see what our options are. he had five moomba models on the lot this summer, the last of which sold a couple weeks ago. our boating season ends labor day, so no real rush to get it, but definitely want to be ready by next memorial day.

Right on. Let us know how that goes with the dealer.

haknslash
08-12-2020, 10:06 PM
My spray date is tomorrow 8/12, but I am not sure how their actual schedule is playing out. That was updated just a couple weeks ago so maybe it’s close.

Nice! Won't be long now as you know! :cool:

I spoke with my buddy yesterday and they have bumped him out to the end of August now. Guess due to COVID delays at some point. He is anxious to get it. Then he sends me this lol...

"Funniest thing happened. My brother ended up getting the next spot on a max. We never not one time talked about it. I had not talked to him much in a while. He didn’t even know until they had already worked with them to get it all sent in and paid a deposit. He asked when the next boat would be in and they said well a guy named kines will have his first. My brother was floored lol. We had the same damn boat coming with just about the same options. Tank god we have different tase in color"

Bob__S
08-13-2020, 12:04 PM
When did you get it? That had to be an early one.

Picked it up 8/1. It is the first Max for 2021. We happened to be at the right place at the right time I suppose.

haknslash
08-13-2020, 12:52 PM
Picked it up 8/1. It is the first Max for 2021. We happened to be at the right place at the right time I suppose.

Curious what the MJ number is at right now just to see how many Max's are out there. Mine is #230.

vonbottle
08-13-2020, 04:16 PM
my local dealer sent me his pricing sheet for the max and craz for 2021, i notice the max base price is up almost $5k, but that now includes the gator step floor and fixed board rack which add up to about $1400, are there any other new standard features or improvements that 2020 didn't have?
we're waffling between the max and craz......anyone have experience with both? is the craz better for skiiing?

larry_arizona
08-13-2020, 04:20 PM
my local dealer sent me his pricing sheet for the max and craz for 2021, i notice the max base price is up almost $5k, but that now includes the gator step floor and fixed board rack which add up to about $1400, are there any other new standard features or improvements that 2020 didn't have?
we're waffling between the max and craz......anyone have experience with both? is the craz better for skiiing?

Might want to wait for the new mojo

haknslash
08-13-2020, 08:23 PM
Might want to wait for the new mojo

I thought they dropped the Mojo. I know they redesigned the Mondo for 2021 but I don't see a Mojo on their 2021 lineup.

haknslash
08-13-2020, 08:26 PM

Max now comes standard with 4,000 lbs of ballast vs it being an option last year. You can also option for the 7" dash for 2021.

larry_arizona
08-13-2020, 08:33 PM
I thought they dropped the Mojo. I know they redesigned the Mondo for 2021 but I don't see a Mojo on their 2021 lineup.

Things that make you go hrmmmmmm

Check back in September

schwan
08-13-2020, 10:29 PM
Redesigned mojo is all but confirmed, just late release.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Mobius22
08-14-2020, 08:39 AM

Autowake
Flow 2.0
Board Racks
Cleats
Gatorstep
Water Strainer
7 Way Round Trailer Plug
4,000 std ballast (Max only)

All were options on 2020s that are now standard. When you price side by side with a 2020 with those options, price is about the same (and everyone optioned most of those).

Isaguel
08-14-2020, 09:05 AM
Autowake
Flow 2.0
Board Racks
Cleats
Gatorstep
Water Strainer
7 Way Round Trailer Plug
4,000 std ballast (Max only)

All were options on 2020s that are now standard. When you price side by side with a 2020 with those options, price is about the same (and everyone optioned most of those).

The 2020 is still up on the configurator.
I optioned a '20 with all the features above. The base was 66260$, the features above increased it to 73410$. That's a diff of 7150$. This may not be correct. They will never make an incoming model 2100$ cheaper than the previous. We prolly need to just wait until the the new pricing tables come out officially, or I would like to see an actual build sheet from a dealer. Otherwise, we really are speculating.

vonbottle
08-17-2020, 10:46 AM
why is it Moomba won't give out any info? i asked them for a spreadsheet on standard features for the models like they used to have on their website - "ask your dealer". ask them when the new mojo pricing/specs will be released - "ask your dealer". what's their issue with answering anything and leaving it up to the dealers?

haknslash
08-17-2020, 10:52 AM
why is it Moomba won't give out any info? i asked them for a spreadsheet on standard features for the models like they used to have on their website - "ask your dealer". ask them when the new mojo pricing/specs will be released - "ask your dealer". what's their issue with answering anything and leaving it up to the dealers?

It's the same thing each year. The website hasn't been updated yet and it's usually several weeks after the teaser videos and pics from Skiers Choice before the website gets rebuilt with new model information and the new boat builder. In the meantime they tell you to go to your dealer and they can build it there with a boat configurator. I have a few people who have ordered 2021 boats and no issues building them out at your dealer.

larry_arizona
08-17-2020, 10:55 AM
Yep, yearly complaint waiting for the online build configurator.

Last year it took until mid October.

vonbottle
08-17-2020, 11:27 AM
Yep, yearly complaint waiting for the online build configurator.

Last year it took until mid October.

frankly, i'm in no real rush as we'd be ordering for a may delivery date, but would like to be guaranteed a build spot, so a little anxious on that end as we're on the fence between max - craz - mojo

larry_arizona
08-17-2020, 11:35 AM
frankly, i'm in no real rush as we'd be ordering for a may delivery date, but would like to be guaranteed a build spot, so a little anxious on that end as we're on the fence between max - craz - mojo

I highly suggest at minimum you talk to your dealer now about securing a build slot with a deposit.

vonbottle
08-18-2020, 04:23 PM
kind of off topic and should probably start a new thread - but who has a boat lift? we currently keep our boat in a boathouse, just tied up during the season, then we lift it out for winter with chain hoists and straps - it's worked fine for as long as we've been doing it (40+ years), but frankly a PITA and you need four people ideally to lift it. with the new boat we're looking at getting a lift, for ease of mind when we're not there and just plain ease in winter. for those that have a lift - what kind and if you recall, how much was it installed? i was just quoted a little over $12k for a 6700 lb Bast lift - i really had no idea what they'd run, but was expecting somewhere about half that

2in2out
08-18-2020, 05:00 PM
This might help with your lift questions

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?35521-Let-s-talk-boat-lifts&highlight=boat+lift

996scott
08-18-2020, 05:17 PM
The 2020 is still up on the configurator.
I optioned a '20 with all the features above. The base was 66260$, the features above increased it to 73410$. That's a diff of 7150$. This may not be correct. They will never make an incoming model 2100$ cheaper than the previous. We prolly need to just wait until the the new pricing tables come out officially, or I would like to see an actual build sheet from a dealer. Otherwise, we really are speculating.

The 2020 online build i did for my Craz and the 2021 actual build came out within $20.00 of each other, no joke. They both had the exact same options/build. The features that now come standard were ones i was getting anyways so the increased MSRP base price was higher but I added fewer options (because they were now standard). So as far as the Craz goes the price from 2020 to 2021 did not change (at least not for me).

macdonaldmike76
08-18-2020, 07:37 PM

macdonaldmike76
08-18-2020, 07:39 PM

I had confirmation last week that the Mojo will be able to order in October. Sounds like will be a sweet boat.

vonbottle
08-21-2020, 12:02 PM
so i just got a build price back for a '21 craz - msrp came in a 79,300, discounted price at 72,500 - as you can tell it's not heavily optioned, but question - is $2700 for freight typical? seems a bit steep, i know it's not quite the same, but our last boat we had transported from canada to NH (bought it used on ebay - don't ask, total disaster, the boat we're actually replacing) for about $500 if i recall. and $2200 for dealer prep.....are these typical figures. think i can get him any lower? subtract out the freight and prep, and he's only taking 2.5% off - i don't want to be a cheap skate, but when people say you might expect 5-7% off, is that excluding freight/prep? or is that a good price? we're getting about $3800 in options with trailer delete credit. going to sit down with dealer tomorrow. we're reserving a build spot, but waiting til the new mojo comes out and will reevaluate then.

Kirby
08-21-2020, 12:22 PM
so i just got a build price back for a '21 craz - msrp came in a 79,300, discounted price at 72,500 - as you can tell it's not heavily optioned, but question - is $2700 for freight typical? seems a bit steep, i know it's not quite the same, but our last boat we had transported from canada to NH (bought it used on ebay - don't ask, total disaster, the boat we're actually replacing) for about $500 if i recall. and $2200 for dealer prep.....are these typical figures. think i can get him any lower? subtract out the freight and prep, and he's only taking 2.5% off - i don't want to be a cheap skate, but when people say you might expect 5-7% off, is that excluding freight/prep? or is that a good price? we're getting about $3800 in options with trailer delete credit. going to sit down with dealer tomorrow. we're reserving a build spot, but waiting til the new mojo comes out and will reevaluate then.

4250 freight to Seattle...

vonbottle
08-21-2020, 12:24 PM
4250 freight to Seattle...

yikes! that's a big hit you don't really think about when pricing it out

996scott
08-21-2020, 02:00 PM

dealer prep was $1250 and shipping to Salt Lake City $2700 for our new Craz. My dealer gave us 9% off total price of the boat (base price + options + dealer add ons).

Kirby
08-21-2020, 05:02 PM
yikes! that's a big hit you don't really think about when pricing it out

No, but I was given more in dealer installed options though, so it really worked out.

sandm
08-21-2020, 05:06 PM
fwiw our last boat we just got had $800 "assembly fee" and $200 dealer prep. no freight or other charges but they were likely baked into the price of the boat.

Neuronal
07-29-2021, 08:40 AM
Congrats on the Max! We almost went with one last year but wound up with the Craz instead.

Lots of good advice on here about 1st time inboard owner. Take it, learn lots, have fun!

I'm in the same boat (pun intended), trying to decide between Max and Craz. What made you choose Craz over Max? Thanks!

Holdmybeer
07-29-2021, 08:52 AM
I would guess....

Fit and finish, tech (screens, Flow 3, ballast upgrades), color options, availability, etc.

My buddies Craz is super nice, and I'm sure it will get Supra hand me downs like the Mojo and Makai way before the Max does.

Really cannot go wrong with either.....just get on the water and have fun